PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Disc Problems

Neith
Mar 19, 2007, 09:04 PM
My PS2's a model SCPH-30003 R (Version 5/6 PS2, and one of the old large ones).

Recently, whenever I load a game, I get a horrific grinding/clicking noise. My discs are fine, and the PS2 still works, but:

-Games take longer to load
-When making games play music files in succession, the music will cut out entirely, and lock up (does this a lot on the Guitar Hero 2 setlist)
-Disc tray takes forever to open.

I've had a look around, and the general opinion seems to be that my laser (or laser arm) is shot. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else could shed any light on whether that's true?

If there is a laser problem, are they easy enough to fix, or is it a strictly professional-only job (probably the latter).

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Seems to have stopped playing discs at all now- I just get a long grinding noise, eventually followed by the PS2 logo (as if it was loading the disc), followed by a Black Screen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2007-03-19 19:40 ]</font>

SStrikerR
Mar 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
this happened to my GC a bit ago and we sent it to nintendo and they said there was a chance they could fix it but i ended up getting a new one because they couldnt fix it, all the things you're describing happened to my GC, you should've sent it to sony right away, now that it won't work at all, you chances of getting it fixed dropped a whole lot, and it might also just be the core of your system, the part that makes it run, if you wear out your core nothing will work, but for you this seems unlikely, good luck.

Neith
Mar 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
It's outside of warranty- Sony won't touch it with a bargepole. I bought it in 2002, and PS2 only has a 1 year warranty. Since it's probably a laser issue, I'll have to look into getting it repaired.

Ryna
Mar 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
Do you have a can of compressed air ? If so, you may want to try disassmbling your Playstation 2 and gently cleaning the area around the laser head. You may have some dust build-up that is preventing the laser from reading the disk. You should be rather cautious about cleaning since you dont' want to change the laser head's position.

Another possibility is that the laser head is out of alignment. I've seen some FAQs on various websites for readjusting the laser head. It is a delicate procedure, but it is possible to realign it.

If the drive motor is dying, there is little you can do about that.

Neith
Mar 20, 2007, 09:53 PM
I think it may be the drive motor now. I've totally cleaned out the PS2 (laser, guide rails, everything), and I've adjusted the cog in the drive in small increments. All I've gotten so far is either:

a) PS2 starts up, makes a grinding noise, attempts to read disc, grinds non-stop after about 5 seconds.
When I adjusted the cog the other way, I got
b) PS2 starts up with no grind (sounded healthy), but then won't even pick up the disc at all..

I'm not sure what else to try now- for the price of a repair/laser replacement, I could probably get hold of another PS2..

Ryna
Mar 21, 2007, 09:33 AM
At this point, you're probably better off buying a new Playstation 2 or Playstation 3. Fixing a bad motor will cost too much to justify the price.

SStrikerR
Mar 21, 2007, 03:06 PM
does psu online work on the ps3? and also, you could have sony try to repair it, the warranty doesn't matter, u could still pay them to fix it.

Ryna
Mar 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
On 2007-03-21 13:06, Ryan113 wrote:
does psu online work on the ps3?

From what I've read in the PSU General forum, it does.

XenithFlare
Apr 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
PSU runs AMAZINGLY on the PS3.