PDA

View Full Version : Faction Points for PSU

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
I hate comparing games like PSU to other MMO’s however I think PSU should take into consideration perhaps implementing some kind of reward system based off of reputation by doing quests for a particular faction (Moatoob, Parum, Neudaiz, Guardians Colony).

These points would be obtainable much like mission points are now, but by doing “Faction Missions” at a particular planets counter. You would start off neutral with any faction then work your way up to “Hero” status which would enable you to buy unique or possibly an S rank weapon (Only once though). The Faction latter would go “Neutral, Known, Renowned, Hero.” Also depending how known you are to a particular faction the rewards would differ.

For example Neudaiz is mostly a “Force” oriented planet therefore by doing faction missions with them you would eventually be able to get nice force equipment…

What do you all think?

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well Guild wars is not the only game with faction points (World of Warcraft comes to mind)

Dumah
Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
kinda like guild wars factions? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif would never happen tho i dont think

Retehi
Mar 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
We already have the whole mission points deal, and not everyone can mass those because of various reasons (time, disconnects, etc). We don't need any more screwy point systems in this game.

Kaydin
Mar 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'd love a system like this. It would give the feeling of "I earned this equipment." rather than "I bought this from someone."

There would have to be a restriction on the items though. Only someone with a certain level of fame can use it, so that one person doesn't start selling the stuff off to people who don't do the quests.

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
On 2007-03-22 09:40, Retehi wrote:
We already have the whole mission points deal, and not everyone can mass those because of various reasons (time, disconnects, etc). We don't need any more screwy point systems in this game.

Not everyone who HAS any game necessarily has time to play it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lman90245 on 2007-03-22 09:46 ]</font>

Candor
Mar 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
hmmm, the only problem i have with it is what you said about getting force equipment for Neudiaz factions, i assume hunter gear for moa and ranger for parum. the problem with this is that people will probably split up to their respective planets. Now if each planet had rewards that benefited all types (maybe with a focus on one) then it would work, and might give people a reason to stop spamming lab S2 and spread them out.

Akaimizu
Mar 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
Isn't that also the basis of how things like Conquest of Camelot work as well? Actually, they might be one of the earliest ones with a concentration on Factions.

Though indeed, Factions mainly work best when the community is large. The smaller the community, the more chances it lopsides. That is, unless the Faction players end up being real cooperative, and switch sides when they notice an imbalance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-22 09:51 ]</font>

Suz
Mar 22, 2007, 11:51 AM
On 2007-03-22 09:40, Kadan wrote:
I'd love a system like this. It would give the feeling of "I earned this equipment." rather than "I bought this from someone."

There would have to be a restriction on the items though. Only someone with a certain level of fame can use it, so that one person doesn't start selling the stuff off to people who don't do the quests.

Yeah I agree with that. somehow make the item untradeable and only useable by you. Like in PSO,(although you could trade then and junk) The S-Ranks you can obtain. Something like that, Say you get a twin saber, the twin saber is called "(Insert name here)'s Twin saber". Just a thought.

Akaimizu
Mar 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'm all for whatever extra stuff they can include, that makes areas way too much fun to want to spam just one. Of course, you'll have the powergamers (they're everywhere) just looking for the mission to spam; but if they give the rest of the people something they just can't refuse, they'll go there more.

Me. I get a little bit of that with that new Neudiaz Co-op mission. I'd love to play there more, but I also worry to not turn that into a spam just because there aren't a lot of Co-op missions to pick from.

Now one thing I really enjoyed about Asheron's Call (and their player economy model) is that all Player-crafted weapons were better than the Store equivalent. It avoids the whole player feeling like they can't compete with NPCs due to the higher cost to craft such a weapon. Every type of weapon was included in the mix.

It'll help against the whole feeling that some players need to charge more than the shop because of failed synths, to be profitable; and the buyers wont feel disgusted and just march to the NPC when they sell the same for less.

The player (responsible for the crafted stuff) also was identified with each one, in Asheron's Call as well.

Needless to say, before people think these are complaints, they aren't. They're just thoughts thrown around, as to what these suggestions may bring to the game, and perhaps offer some extra spice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-22 10:01 ]</font>

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 12:19 PM
On 2007-03-22 09:49, Candor wrote:
hmmm, the only problem i have with it is what you said about getting force equipment for Neudiaz factions, i assume hunter gear for moa and ranger for parum. the problem with this is that people will probably split up to their respective planets.

That is a good point, perhaps distribute the rewards across faction then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

amtalx
Mar 22, 2007, 12:22 PM
I think it sounds great. Adding another layer of depth to PSU would be awesome.

Tiyr
Mar 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
No. Rep grinding was tedious in EQ, it was tedious as hell in WoW and in every other game I can think of.

It's always been a hideous timesink games added solely because they couldn't / didn't want to add more levels and wanted some kind of horribly long grind-based advancement.

I'm not against it in principle, but in practice it's never been anything but an annoying grind. If they could find a way to implement it that didn't suck in the way it has in every other game, then I'd go for it.

berrytea
Mar 22, 2007, 01:09 PM
On 2007-03-22 10:40, Tiyr wrote:
I'm not against it in principle, but in practice it's never been anything but an annoying grind.

Hate to break it to ya but thats all MMO's are... GRIND and I actually think this is a good idea!

(^^)

Also all games are timesinks when you think about it o.O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: berrytea on 2007-03-22 11:12 ]</font>

Suz
Mar 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah... all uhm.. "bigger" MMO's like WoW and what not all really is is just pure grind then PvP. Putting a faction on here WOULD make SOME people play more, but with the size of this community, the eletist people compared to those who are time strict (Jobs, school, etc.), The player gap would widen. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Candor
Mar 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
i think this would make it easier for those who have little time to play to get some good stuff. Not like 11* and 12*, but maybe some 10* weapons as higher rewards, that'd be awsome.

McLaughlin
Mar 22, 2007, 03:55 PM
This sounds an awful lot like FFXI Conquest system.

I hated that system.

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
On 2007-03-22 13:55, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
This sounds an awful lot like FFXI Conquest system.

I hated that system.

Just a standard reputation reward system, nothing too fancy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

A2K
Mar 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
Actually, something along these lines could probably be used as an excuse to open up the AMF Headquarters in Holtes West and the COG Pavilion of Air in Ohtoku City. Nothing too complex for this game, though: it would probably be as simple as completing a set of special missions from these organizations with a high enough rank to earn such items.

Moatoob would be an issue, though, as there's no equivalent organization present in Dagora City, really. A little mini-game where Gawik made you wait tables might be fun for a larf, though.

All that said some more special missions like Bruce's Dungeon at the branch counters from the Guardians themselves would still be much appreciated.

Miyoko
Mar 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
For the love of god, NO. I DO NOT want another mind numbingly boring reputation grind. I did that once in WoW, and it was the most boring, inane garbage EVER.

urafatrodent
Mar 22, 2007, 04:59 PM
Well, from my experience, the whole "rewards" deal with factions doesn't really work, usually because they are not really worth anything (they aren't good or everyone has them). So I don't think that would really work. -_-

Though I do like the whole idea of factions. What I would like is that people could simply choose a faction, regardless of class or race. You would have AMF for Parum, COG for Neudaiz, and the rouges for Moatoob, (along with the generic Guardians group, if they made it interesting =p). I'm not really sure how you could make the groups special with a not-expansive number of people playing this game (a pity), but what I would totally dig would be that everyone gets specific clothes sets and such (parts for CASTs of course ^_^) for that group. You would just run around and you would notice that everyone is unique. It would really put some more of the RPG in this game (in my opinion).

You would just have to keep it balanced, like not giving all the cool clothes and such to one faction, or going deeper and having better "benefits" to being in one faction. If they could start out with that (the developers), then maybe they could expand on it. It would be a good start to PvP (though I really can't see how that could work in this game).

That's all I have to say.

Umberger
Mar 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, you could do like "S rank missions" and get some form of currency to exchange for some really cool spells on Neudaiz if you're a Force, etc etc. It's a great idea. >_>

I don't like this idea because PSU doesn't need to be made into a World of Warcraft/Guild Wars clone. This pretty much sounds like if they made Par/Mot/Neu Fragments and only allowed you to exchange them on their respective planets. Also, like people have said...this would just bring another title for people to have to grind to get. PSU is fine as it is now, a casual MMORPG.

Candor
Mar 22, 2007, 07:46 PM
everyone saying this would be a bad thing is acting like someone is strapping you to the chair and forcing you to grind rep >.>

I personally like rep systems and the rewards from it as they are often unique, I'd love to have some more depth with each planets groups (AMF, COG, roGUes <--- g before u).

Lman90245
Mar 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-03-22 17:46, Candor wrote:
I'd love to have some more depth with each planets groups (AMF, COG, roGUes <--- g before u).

I forgot about some of those groups... great example! although I don't know how you would help the rogues out hmm...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lman90245 on 2007-03-22 21:28 ]</font>