PDA

View Full Version : Wah wah wah my sister/brother did blah blah blah

Blitzkommando
Mar 25, 2007, 03:22 AM
Now, I'll start off by saying that I'm an only child. I'm readying to move out, but trying to mooch the free internet, cable, and especially room and food for all it's worth until I can decide where exactly I wish to go to college. Now that the background is out of the way, my rant:

I've grown up to older parents which means older relatives on the whole, but also rather big families when compared to the one I grew up with (two parents and a dog for the latter part). The majority of both sides gets along great, well, they all get along but one uncle is a bit reclusive so I didn't see him much. Anyway, they all have a good time together and most importantly I can see the love and support they provide each other. I feel absolutely blessed to have such great uncles, aunts, and grandparents.

The flip-side is that while I have awesome parents, I never had the brother or sister growing up. And frankly, even seeing all the 'trouble' that is caused through sibling relationships, I'd give practically anything for that. I'm a family person, I feel very close to family, and I guess being an only child gives me a perspective on that which is different than a lot of multi-child families.

I see these petty little complaints about brothers and sisters for the most part, and probably a fair share of complaints that are blown out of proportion, but frankly if that was the worst I had to deal with growing up with brothers and sisters I'd be thinking right now how great my childhood had been.

I suppose my point is this: For all the people that have these fairly petty rants about family, be glad you have the siblings (and parents!) to be ranting about. I've not had it tough by any means, but I can see how much fun and love can be involved with larger families and unfortunately so many people miss that love and support sitting right beneath their noses. The greatest things in life aren't things, but are the people. And frankly, the more the merrier is in most cases very true.

I'm not quite sure if I got the point across (or if there was even a point) but I just wanted to tell how being an only child is hardly all it is cracked up to be as things can never equal out the awesomeness of other people.

Undeadpriest
Mar 25, 2007, 03:27 AM
Its a very...deep post...no really the only person i complain about in my family is my father...too many bad stuff happened with him...Except for him my family is my life.Remember people you only have one family...try to keep it as long as you can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Undeadpriest on 2007-03-25 01:27 ]</font>

Orange_Coconut
Mar 25, 2007, 03:35 AM
I think it's just a sibling thing for the most part, I know me and my sister used to get into petty arguments and then it would seem like such a big deal after the result of the argument. But truth be told, I love my sister dearly and though we may not be anything alike I admire her anyways. I used to rant a bit to my friends about her, probably giving them the wrong impression of her entirely. That's what we do, we try to get you to look at it from our side so that our sibling/siblings don't get the attention we're craving. "And you wouldn't believe what she did the LAST time that happened!"

Yeah, maybe I'm just speaking for myself. But I remember feeling like she had always done some kind of wrong-doing, then I would whine about it to my friends. Though, that all stopped in my teen years since it was rather silly and pointless and as I said before -- I love my sister. I think it was just an attention thing for when I was younger. We're not really bread and butter quality, we have our stupid little bouts in rare circumstances... Plus we don't really have anything in common, but we both look out for eachother and it doesn't mean we don't love eachother. I can't speak for everyone who has ranted about their siblings, but I know that my old rants were just from frustration of the moment kind of thing.

So maybe me and my sister are kind of like bananas and soy sauce, we don't really go together but uh... We're .. Hmm, I have no idea where I'm going with this. We don't really go together except for on very rare occasions. Though I don't think bananas and soy sauce are ever good together... Maybe when you burned your tongue and can't taste the food you're eating? I have no idea.

Undeadpriest
Mar 25, 2007, 03:38 AM
At least both of you know that you care for each others you just don't show it often thats...you have your own of loving the other person...

I hope i've made myself clear...

Siertes
Mar 25, 2007, 03:44 AM
Having siblings certainly has its advantages. I have three brothers, one being a half-brother, and three step sisters. Its a relief not having parental attention on me all the time.

I've never been big on family since I mainly see it as a bunch of headaches waiting to happen, but having a brother close to me in age pretty much guarantees there is at least one person I can talk to about personal matters. Not that I would, but he's there.

Undeadpriest
Mar 25, 2007, 03:47 AM
A huge advantage of having 2 brothers for me is that one of them keep taking care of me when my mom is not a home...he's preparing my meal...playing video game with me,etc,etc...My other brother well...we don't speak often together but he told me that even if we're not close him and me he still care about what will happen to me...I'm pretty with this http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

astuarlen
Mar 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
I agree with Orange Coconut about the odd combination of sibling conflict and sibling love. My brother and I used to get into crazy fights all the time, and I'm not just talking about "I hate you, I'm telling mom, etc"; I'm talking about attempted-pencil-stabbing and shoe-throwing. Heh. But the funny thing about siblings is, 15 minutes later you're both sitting in front of the Genesis, playing Sonic or whatever, and everything's back to normal. Honestly, I think the willingness to complain and bicker and maybe even twist the other guy's arm a bit (at least when you're younger http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) is a good thing for the relationship, 'cause at least you face these little conflicts somewhat directly and get that frustration out, knowing that you probably won't break that filial bond. In other relationships, a lot of people would rather not deal with problems, especially the kind of little ones that spark sibling spats but eventually build up, I think. Of course, the way you react to sibling disagreements should and, I assume, usually does change as you get older, moving from conflict-resolution-via-pinching to talking respectfully about your issues. Anyway, wat was this post about I dont even.

DonRoyale
Mar 25, 2007, 11:23 AM
Umm...perhaps I should've said that I was an only child as well. The 'brothers and sisters' i refer to are foster family or step family. I relate to none of them, and like barely any of them, so I'm just saying-consider yourself lucky you get the attention you do. I haven't had that feeling since I was five years old, and let me tell you, I'd do anything to be the only child again.

I know what you mean-the foster kids that come through my place are often troubled/annoying/just plain intolerable, and the ones that aren't are here for weekends/a very short time, so it's been a good two years since I last could build a lasting good relationship with anyone I've been forced to live with. Therefore, I've become exceedingly selfish, being very annoyed at the fact that I have to give up my independence and freedom of, pretty much anything really, to accomodate these people.

For example,

Before my dad took in foster kids, I had basically no rules. Bedtime was whenever I felt sleepy, I could eat what I want when I wanted to, and I had all the attention. Nowadays, 'to be fair to them', bed is at 1:30, I eat what everyone else eats, and have no attention because I'm not 'challenged like they are'.

So while I see you wanting a sibling you truly care about, I urge you to look at the downsides. Call me negative, but looking back, I'd MUCH RATHER be an only child than in a family of 5 kids (like I am now).

Did I inspire you to do this? o.O

PJ
Mar 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
On 2007-03-25 08:46, astuarlen wrote:
I agree with Orange Coconut about the odd combination of sibling conflict and sibling love. My brother and I used to get into crazy fights all the time, and I'm not just talking about "I hate you, I'm telling mom, etc"; I'm talking about attempted-pencil-stabbing and shoe-throwing. Heh. But the funny thing about siblings is, 15 minutes later you're both sitting in front of the Genesis, playing Sonic or whatever, and everything's back to normal.

I thought me and my brothers were the only ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Honestly, I do complain about my brothers a lot, and yeah, petty stuff that's really dumb (We got into an argument about fucking TACOS before), I do really appreciate my brothers and all that.

I think siblings you just have a different mentality for logic than with other people... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Solstis
Mar 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hm. As an only child, I agree with Norvekh.

Nai_Calus
Mar 25, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm an only. I have a half-sister that was the spawn of the parent I didn't live with and a step. I've never liked her and still don't. She's fifteen now. I'm twenty-three. Nothing in common except some DNA, and DNA doesn't mean fuckshit.

I don't want siblings either. I'm not a family person, or even a people in general person.

I have a few people I'm close to, those are my 'family'. Not the BS dictated by my genes. Yeah, no thanks, you can keep my mother.

DurakkenX
Mar 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hrmmm well... as to the topic and being that you are an only child I have to say that you have no idea HOW annoying siblings are. If you're the older your expected to look after the younger. If the parents give you more privleges you can bet the younger will annoy you. If you are the younger you have to deal with the older getting to do everything first. And sometimes one just does things to annoy the other. I know there have been times I simply walked by the TV my bro was watching and turned it off just for the hell of it.

I've been beat up over shyt I was right about and still haven't been given a sorry about >.> and had some embaressing shyt happen and still no apologies. Also with my situation I pretty much had a reputation everywhere i went to school till college before going there which some may seem as good, but various changed it into a very bad situation for me. There's not much hope for you in HS when just about everyone popular hates you lol.

BUT for all the fights we've had, and we have had a lot, and all the shyt that we've gone through we're pretty good friends and hang out every now and then now adays. When we need each other we're there for each other...and most of the time when we talk about those hellish younger years its more in a laughable way.

The funniest thing is that even though me and my brother clash so much and in our younger years hated each other pretty much...my best friend is pretty similiar to my brother in personality and such. Its weird to think about, but hey that's psychology for ya...

Jive18
Mar 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have an older sister (21), and I indeed feel blessed. It's odd; even though we were born 3 years appart, we have a twin complex, so I suppose I feel even closer to her because of this.

She happens to be studying abroad right now, so I definitely appreciate times when she is home.

Blitzkommando
Mar 25, 2007, 08:26 PM
Nobody in particular inspired this, I've felt it a long time now and just felt like spilling it out.

As for annoyance I did live with a cousin for about six months and while there were certainly times I didn't care for it, I enjoyed it more overall than hated by far. Sometimes I wanted to be left alone but most of the time I was willing to play around with my cousin and his friends on PSO offline multiplayer of all things. We had some great times even though he and his friends were four to five years younger than I.

Firocket1690
Mar 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
Meh.. x20

As an only child, I've thought about the joys of Norvekh's original post a few years ago. And then you realize that nobody's ever fucking sastified with whatever they have. Ever.
Everybody in this whole thread complains about wanting a sibling, or wanting to be the only youth in the house, and takes their own situation for granted.

Well, yes, I myself am probably guilty of that too, but meh, it's only natural. I think having a sibling of some sort probably would've made me a lot more socially active. Even if not so, someone to listen to my ramblings. At least with a sibling, or elder brother/sidter, there'd be some competition in the house. Who can grab the most attention, who can get better grades, who beats who in ssbm, always someone you know is barely above/below you, and know you'd be able to best at whatever. Obviously, the latter can also be a flaw, too. Parents would ponder why the lesser child is getting worse grades than the better, bias amongst the two, etc. If I had someone around here, I'd probably rant a lot less online, and some of the older members of psow probably know a good deal enough about my mother.

And then there's that contemplating about the future phase, where at least a brother or sister, you wouldn't literally be going out in the "real world" jobseeking world alone. Sharing an apartment or pulling finances together would be quite helpful for people in their mid20s.

Well. Meh. The only kids around when I was growing up was one rich italian kid, and another family of four brothers (three of whom are currently in college). So there is a limited envy of what siblings are like, and how close they can be.

ehh, my thoughts are a mess. My point is, just don't take what you have for granted. Everybody always wants what they don't have.

Nixia
Mar 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm actually growing to hate my brother -- and I don't mean the petty kind either. When we fight, it's broken noses, busted lips, bruises and scars, and hospital trips (for me), otherwise we're content in pretending the other doesn't exist.

It's really sad because we had our rough spots when we were younger like any other siblings, but we were still very close, loved a lot of the same things, and got along pretty well.

I also have a half-sister that I really liked being around when I got to see her (and wished was living with me instead >.>), but that was years ago, and I haven't been able to get in contact with her since, which really freaking blows because I miss her, and I miss being an older sister.

When you get down to it, having a sibling is really just learning to co-exist, and share and comprimise when the situation arises. It goes up or down from there depending on what kind of person you are and what kind of person they are.

Kent
Mar 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
I had an older brother and an older sister, when I was growing up. I was the one always being pressured to join one side of whatever argument they were having.

Meh. I didn't exactly have a "happy" childhood, in the first place, and dealing with sibling rivalries didn't make it any easier.

Do I wish I had it any different? Not on the front of siblings, just other events that happened.

Tengoku
Mar 27, 2007, 02:31 PM
My sibling and I have stronger relationships as adults precisely because we fought so much. We understand each other and know what makes each other tick. We've been through everything a relationship can throw at people and come out stronger. I am blessed that I had siblings while growing up and quite happy for all the crap we put each other through. It has made me a stronger person and has also given me a certain, I think healthy, perspective on conflicts within relationships.

YMMV.

Daikarin
Mar 28, 2007, 05:30 AM
I used to think that I wasn't a family person, and I've gotten used to live like that, but I do admit that sometimes it's good to sit together at a table and laugh like before.

omegapirate2k
Mar 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
See, now my brother and sister (and a certain PSOW member who shall remain unnamed, but thats another story) are the only people who can annoy me, they ARE annoying, but I guess it's just one of those things you don't miss until it's gone.

navci
Mar 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
On 2007-03-25 09:48, Solstis wrote:
Hm. As an only child, I agree with Norvekh.

But Sef and I love you! D:

I complain about my brother, a lot. I defend myself by saying that is because I am assigned a role of mother, not sister, to him, and it is often frustrating to do that.

But, I love having a sibling. If you get along with them, which actually isn't very difficult, just really need to learn to be not too selfish. A sibling can be a great friend. I hate my brother a lot of the times, but the times we share good moments prolly outweight most of the bad. We have lived together just by ourselves for a very long time now, we shared so many in-jokes, similar funny experience, good and bad times. I'll pick having him again if I have to even though some of you who know me well might be surprise. XD

Having a sibling though, I think really give you a good experience in how to deal with other people early on in your childhood, 24/7. I'd never wanna raise my kid as an only child. :> So ya. No petty complains... BUT MY BROTHER DRANK ALL THE JUICE IN THE FRIDGE! D: