PDA

View Full Version : MTU

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
my 360 has been working without a hitch since i got it and now it won't connect i've tried restarting the rooter and unpluging and replugging everything back in and also turning on and off my xbox and praying to no avail i did the network connection test and it came up that my MTU(wtf is that) is to low and i need to change it so can anyone tell me how to raise it

THANK IN ADVANCE and i heart you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
Maximum Transmission Unit. That determines the largest physical packet size, measured in bytes, that a network can transmit. Any messages larger than the MTU are divided into smaller packets before being sent.

You can change the MTU for the router by accessing it's configuration page. Unless whoever setup your network changed the login info it should set to default. Check the manual for the router (or give us your router brand and model number) and we can help you log in to change it. My Netgear router's MTU is set to 1500.

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 01:57 PM
i'll just type every thing i see on the front of the rooter and thanks for responding so fast : )

Comcast Home networking
Wireless-G Cable gateway model wcg200-cc
Linksys

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 02:16 PM
Provided the default settings are in effect, you will open your web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the Address Bar and hit enter. A password request page will appear. Leave the User Name field blank, and enter admin (the default password) in the Password field. Then click the OK button. That will allow you access to the configuration page.

Unfortunately, after looking through the User manual I don't see anyplace where the MTU can be changed for that particular Wireless Cable Gateway. You may need to contact Comcast (since that device is branded for them specifically, hence the cc at the end of the model number) and see if they have any suggestions.

Also you can check out this page from Microsoft and see if it offers any helpful info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908882

Also check this thread:

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Cable&message.id=407

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-03-27 12:22 ]</font>

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ok ty for the help i'm on the phone with comcast right now listening to their hold music while they have 5 people trying to help lol i feel special...in the good way

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
...shot down they don't know how they said maybe the port got changed or something idk any ideas?

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
I don't have a 360 so I'm not familiar with the Dashboard or it's settings, but try this to see if the MTU registers a 1 or 0.

1. Select Xbox Live to sign in to Xbox Live from the Xbox Dashboard.

2. From the Connect Status screen, press the Y button on your controller.

3. Press the A button to see diagnostic information. Find MT: x, where x is your MTU test result of either 0 or 1. 0 means your MTU size is not 1365 or greater and it won’t work with Xbox Live. 1 means your MTU size is 1365 or greater and you’re good to go for Xbox Live!

BTW have you been connecting with your 360 and that wireless gateway previously, or is the wireless gateway new? If everything had been working before with the same equipment, I'm not sure atm what else you could try (especially considering there is no way to change the MTU on the wcg200.) About the only other thing I could think of trying (which may or may not be feasible) is to see if they either A. Have another brand of wireless gateway they can send you or B. Buy a different one and try it.

UPDATE*** I did find some info about many users having a problem with the wcg200 and XBL. Try turning off the firewall completely and then see if you can connect.

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
when i went to the dashboard i couldn't locate the Mtx thing

how do i turn the firewall off and yes this rooter and live account has been working for like 3 months and last night it kicked me for no reason i signed back on and then signed off and today i come home and can't get on at all : (

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 03:06 PM
Go into the configuration page and click on the security tab, then disable Firewall Protection and click SAVE SETTINGS. Then try connecting.

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
i suck at computers how do i get to the configuration page...srry

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
Provided the default settings are in effect, you will open your web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the Address Bar and hit enter. A password request page will appear. Leave the User Name field blank, and enter admin (the default password) in the Password field. Then click the OK button. That will allow you access to the configuration page.

TouchOfRed
Mar 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
i can't find it...there's no secruity tab idk i hate when stuff happens like this well o well i;ll try later this is only getting me frustrated srry

VioletSkye
Mar 27, 2007, 08:15 PM
don't sweat it, apparently XBL is down:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=138579&forum=20