PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 1 Problems

kevlar_pso
Apr 10, 2007, 03:01 AM
My Xbox 1 crapped out on me. Obviously since I have a lot invested in my PSO-X characters I am kinda worried about what will happen to them. I knew of ppls on PSO-X who's Xbox 1 would crap out on them and they would send it in to M$ to get fixed. Only to have their HDD wiped and their characters obliterated. They had their's sent in multiple times w/the express instructions to not wipe out the HDD, yet it happened anyways. So I could backup my HDD on my PC but I don't know how to do that.
Any suggestions? Any1 been in this situation?

amtalx
Apr 10, 2007, 07:37 AM
You may have trouble doing that... PSO saves are signed. If you don't already know what that means, it means that your PSO saves are tied to that particular Xbox. So even if you manage to get them off they will not work on another Xbox. If you can copy the EEPROM off of your current Xbox and move it over to a new one, that may work. Your only solution here is hotswapping into your PC or find a friend with a modchip.

Rubius-sama
Apr 10, 2007, 08:24 AM
Xbox hard drives are locked to the Xbox they are on. There are ways around it and back when I was in the modding scene, I knew all about that stuff. It's been years since I stopped modding and forgotten pretty much everything.

Putting your old HD on another Xbox is possible, but complicated. Don't forget there are risks involved too.

If you're not familiar with the technical side of things, I suggest arranging something with Microsoft and being guaranteed the data on your HD will be safe before sending anything to them.

kevlar_pso
Apr 10, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have taken my Xbox 1 apart many times to clean it, so I know how to put it back together as well. I just want to be sure that my data is safe. I hear that it is cobbled together from PC parts that are available. Maybe I could take it to a PC repair shop in town and have the DVD drive replaced? Since that is what has been wrong w/it for some time. I would get disk read errors all the time.

amtalx
Apr 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh, if the drive is the only problem you can buy them off Ebay for relatively cheap. That, or you can just but a refurb/new Xbox and switch the DVD drives. Those are interchangeable.

kevlar_pso
Apr 10, 2007, 11:32 PM
I hadn't thought about getting the drive off of ebay. I guess I'll open my Xbox back up, get the model number of the drive and see what the going rate is on ebay.

Link00seven
Apr 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
Good luck man! It'd be cool to game with ya again because its been awhile since we've played anything.

kevlar_pso
Apr 11, 2007, 03:36 AM
Well, we still have Animal Crossing Wild World. I know I haven't touched that in a while either. . . .

amtalx
Apr 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
On 2007-04-10 21:32, kevlar_pso wrote:
I hadn't thought about getting the drive off of ebay. I guess I'll open my Xbox back up, get the model number of the drive and see what the going rate is on ebay.

The drive manufacturer doesn't matter. It's just like putting a new DVD-ROM drive in you're computer. The drivers are more or less universal. I've had the same Xbox since launch and there have been 3 different drive manufacturer's in it over the years. Besides, I think the only drives in surplus right now are the Samsungs.

Rubius-sama
Apr 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
Just don't get a Thomson drive. =P

Phillips and Samsung are both okay. (one is better than the other, I forgot which).