PDA

View Full Version : Email Spam

Kayumi
Dec 9, 2002, 02:19 PM
I just went through the spam in my inbox...all of it could be unsubscribed from. So here's me thinking "when did I subscribe to this crap or tell anyone I wouldn't mind if they signed me up"...but hey.

It's just weird. I don't remember spam as having valid "don't gimme more of this" stuff.

ABDUR101
Dec 9, 2002, 03:14 PM
I have a ton of spam, but luckily I use Yahoo and it nicely puts the vast majority of the crap mail in my "Spam" folder, to which every day I just hit "Empty" to instantly delete over 100 trash emails.

If you sign up for some things at certain sites, they ask if you want to be emailed by the sites sponsers or associates. To which you might also get emailed by those sites associates and so on.

Also, when you unsubscribe, make sure it doesn't ask if you want to be emailed by it's associates.

Last night I unsubscribed to a spam list, and in the unsubscribe area, it asked if I wanted to be emailed by that sites associates. x_X

Hapsby
Dec 9, 2002, 03:17 PM
Yeah Yahoo! is l337. It detects 99% of my spam, and it's deleted in one click when I open my mailbox. I figure if the spam starts getting too bad, I can just make a new address in 2 seconds.

Mazarin
Dec 9, 2002, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I lovez mah Yahoo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm getting a million emails in Spanish recently. Dunno the deal is there. One of my remove mails was "El Removo el Spamo bendejo" Funny, but it worked. I haven't gotten anything since http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And if I ever need to sign my email off to join or see something, I give them my spam yahoo mail.

pixelate
Dec 9, 2002, 04:05 PM
I break my Hotmail limit everyday because of spam.

LostHero
Dec 9, 2002, 06:17 PM
On 2002-12-09 13:05, pixelate wrote:

We should start a support group O_O!

Shadow_Blade
Dec 9, 2002, 08:05 PM
On 2002-12-09 15:17, LostHero wrote:

On 2002-12-09 13:05, pixelate wrote:

We should start a support group O_O!

@_@ Thats actually a good idea...

Kent
Dec 9, 2002, 11:21 PM
I get an average of 20 spams a day in my Hotmail account, and my junk fail filter is as high as it will go without becoming exclusive (i.e. only mail sent to my inbox is from specific addresses).

They really need to upgrade their junk mail filters...

Abaddon
Dec 10, 2002, 06:57 AM
Spam iz da Shizzle

hotmail oughta have more adresses to block.

Kayumi
Dec 10, 2002, 01:23 PM
I get lotsa spam all the time, this is just the first time I noticed the "unsubscribe" button. Mostly because I read one of the messages--they were offering me a free star wars gift. But they could only ship it to the US. I was so disappointed.

BrokenHope
Dec 10, 2002, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't use there un-subscribe buttons, some spammers have started including those to confirm if e mail addresses actually exist, you're likely to end up with a hell of a lot more spam if you actually use there un-subscribe buttons.

Kayumi
Dec 10, 2002, 10:04 PM
"started"? They've been doing it as long as there's been spam. But given the fact that I'm pretty sure there're now some sort of laws governing spam, at least in North America, I think it's probably safe to assume that a fair number of them are legitimately allowing unsubscription.