PDA

View Full Version : Photon blasts

Danger_Girl
Dec 9, 2002, 04:04 PM
Photon blasts used to be pretty nice. It was a good way to cause some fatal injuries to a room full of meanies. But that was in the days of my youth, before ultimate mode. Now I hate stupid photon blasts. The only thing they are good for it coving up easy access to resta. My sword does as much damage in a few strokes. I would much prefer haveing the photon blast that heals, or the one that casts shifta/deband, as opposed to those worthless damage ones. The real problem is my mag hates me. It sees photon blasts as an opportunity to cause me a little extra pain. Its a good thing I'm a masochist.

*sigh*
But I prefer to be a sadist.

Jae
Dec 9, 2002, 04:20 PM
Here's a lesser known use for Photon Blasts, but it requires a teammate.

Have your teammate use a PB while you are in a different room (wait in the hallway by the door or something). You'll see the room get dark, your teammate will freeze, and so will all of the enemies. The cool thing is that you are still free to run in with your best weapon and hack any of the enemies while they're just standing there for a couple of seconds! Obviously, this works better if you have three people waiting by the door instead of just yourself.

It sounds trivial, but my friend and I use this to take out the more pesky enemies like Ult Chaos Sorcerors. Ugh, I hate them and their +1700hp Resta...

*edit*
Move Resta to the b-button. Keep everything else like s+d, fluids, special attack, or whatever on the second tier. That way you're always free to resta. Sometimes I keep my PB for almost a whole level just so I can use (or waste) it at the perfect time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jae on 2002-12-09 13:42 ]</font>

MajinSSJVegetto
Dec 9, 2002, 06:30 PM
You should start doing multi person PBs.

If two people use their PBs at the same time, both become much more powerful.
With 3, even more powerful, with 4, almighty damage.

Also, the twins that cast shifta deband get very good at the higher levels. Its L30 S/D with 4 peopel going at once. (or something close)

Make sure you don't use like 3 elks and the twins, as that wont work. All must be different. And never use the healing PB, it ruins the twins affects.

The S/D the twins casts has no time limit, so it stays untill you 1) die or 2) leave. Casting lower level S/D wont cancel it out.

The "time freeze" is also good. I love running out of a room if I notice a player is going to use one.

I so wish 10 rares would drop as someone cast a PB and I got to grab em all while they watch.

They are also based on your ATP, so the higher it is the better.

I dont know if the twins trick will work if they go first, but it might. If it does, then you could get that giant atp gain, which should greatly boost the other Photon Blasts damage, but I am not sure.

If you ever see two people in a game saying double digit numbers all the time, its probably their PB level so they can go at the same time. Very fun technique, I just wish I had a keyboard so I could tell people about it without wasting an hour.

Al-Rappy
Dec 9, 2002, 06:33 PM
I like PB's. Mine do about 1000 damage to Bartles. They come in very handy!

pixelate
Dec 9, 2002, 07:23 PM
Players can also donate PB energy. Whenever someone uses a PB, you can hit Y and donate some of your mag's energy to the PB. Each time you tap Y during a PB, you donate 10 or your mag's PB energy. You can donate up to 30 of your mag's energy. Donating will cause the PB to do more damage, resta more, or give a higher S/D.

CrashCat
Dec 9, 2002, 07:25 PM
So, is THAT what that "1" next to the char who did the blast means? Oy.. I had no idea you could do that. There are so many less-than-obvious things about this game, there really needs to be a FAQ that just covers the tricks. Stunning, gun accuracy at different ranges, different tech boosts for different FO's, TP tricks, and even more stuff I've probably forgot... there's a ton of stuff that seems obvious to a PSO vet that I never had an inkling of until I read these boards. It would be really great if someone organized some of this stuff...

Sedyne
Dec 9, 2002, 10:39 PM
^_^ That's why you make a new mag until lv: 50 with a FOmar to get the healing photon blast+ylla and youlla then level him back up with a Hunter to get the Pilla because it's the onyl other one worth having! =D

Cheech
Dec 9, 2002, 11:12 PM
On 2002-12-09 16:23, pixelate wrote:
Players can also donate PB energy. Whenever someone uses a PB, you can hit Y and donate some of your mag's energy to the PB. Each time you tap Y during a PB, you donate 10 or your mag's PB energy. You can donate up to 30 of your mag's energy. Donating will cause the PB to do more damage, resta more, or give a higher S/D.

I always donate, sadly, not many other people do. Donation really makes Photon Blasts do tons of more damage.

Danger_Girl
Dec 9, 2002, 11:39 PM
My favorite mag trick is unequiping then equiping it to reset the counter to zero. I have tried all the photonblast stunts, and still think a mags photon blast is more of a nusiance than anything at higher levels.

Hmmm...its no wonder my mag hates me.

Phobos-X
Dec 10, 2002, 06:24 AM
Donate PB power??? how long has this been?? ive only played v1 on the DC before i picked up PSO for GC. Was this possible on v1 and v2, or juss for GC?

Rhete
Dec 10, 2002, 06:30 AM
On 2002-12-09 20:39, Danger_Girl wrote:
My favorite mag trick is unequiping then equiping it to reset the counter to zero. I have tried all the photonblast stunts, and still think a mags photon blast is more of a nusiance than anything at higher levels.

Hmmm...its no wonder my mag hates me.

I like Photon Blasts, they can do a ton of damage. Why just a few days ago a PB got my whole team killed fighting Ult mode Falz ^___^

Alisha
Dec 10, 2002, 09:18 AM
On 2002-12-09 19:39, SedyneX930 wrote:
^_^ That's why you make a new mag until lv: 50 with a FOmar to get the healing photon blast+ylla and youlla then level him back up with a Hunter to get the Pilla because it's the onyl other one worth having! =D

sorry my friend but estilla pwnz pilla hardcore

and lately ive been wondering if syncro effects pb damage since my photon blast started to get uber weak when i started dying a lot i tried raising its syncro back up but it was no use

Elusive_Llama
Dec 10, 2002, 09:48 AM
The S/D the twins casts has no time limit, so it stays untill you 1) die or 2) leave. Casting lower level S/D wont cancel it out.

Say what?! Man I wish I could throw away Farlla and get THAT photon blast! I'm sick of casting shifta/deband all the time with my Hunny. Do you know what level S/D you get if you just cast it by yourself?

Phobos, that's a very distracting sig...

I believe that PB blast damage depends on your synch level...not sure if your ATP also has something to do with it.

rena-ko
Dec 10, 2002, 09:58 AM
it was posted somewhere at this board - not that long ago.
i think alone, it was like around lv10, around lv20 with double-cast and around lv40 (if that would actually be possible) when all four cast a mylla&youlla-chain.

and its just for those who cast a PB - at least its like that at the DC-version...

CrashCat
Dec 13, 2002, 11:39 AM
I pressed Y during someone else's photon blast but all I got was toggling the chat interface on and off... when exactly do you need to press it to donate part of your PB meter? I'm lost...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrashCat on 2002-12-13 08:40 ]</font>

CrashCat
Dec 13, 2002, 04:38 PM
Come on, surely someone who already posted about this can help me, I'm dying to donate some of that wonderful PB meter. I might figure it out eventually if I flounder about mashing buttons for a while, but I'll probably drive myself nuts first...

BrokenHope
Dec 13, 2002, 04:44 PM
Press Y 3 times as soon as you hear the photon blast sound, i say 3 times because the maximum you can donate is 30.

The twins pb doesn't last forever, it casts level 21 s/d providing the iq is maxed on the mag.

rbf2000
Dec 13, 2002, 06:51 PM
Most people seem to be confused when they see their pb go over 100 when they do their attack. Seems as if most people don't know about the donating pb trick. I do it every chance I get.

CrashCat
Dec 13, 2002, 10:30 PM
Ok. I'll try to mash it as soon as I hear the sound then. I might have been waiting too long. Thanks!

Kupi
Dec 14, 2002, 09:33 AM
You have to press it right as the seal appears by your friend's feet. You can't donate PB while the attack is animating. Does that make a bit more sense?

cbearfei
Dec 14, 2002, 02:34 PM
I was reading through an FAQ i found and it says theres a combination for the photon blasts that sould jump your ATP to almost double its value. I think it requires Mylla & Youlla x2 + Pilla + Estlla. It was reported to cause a level 152 Humar's ATP to go from 2078 to 4446. I havent' tried it because I have some unwilling friends to work with. I do know that Pilla + Estlla can do some real damage to begin with anyway. Anyway, here's the link for the FAQ I saw this at.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/phantasy_star_online_photon_blast.txt