PDA

View Full Version : Guide: SUV Weapons [Now with Pretty Pictures!]

PsyX
Apr 17, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

So because the other two SUV guides I saw seem a bit dated (no offence) and there are always a lot of SUV questions, I thought I'd bring together all information and offer a list of all currently avaliable SUV's for easy comparisons etc. So on with the show!

Oh, please feel free to correct me/offer additions etc or any other information I may have left out. I will update this guide. Thanks in advance for reading!

Introduction

SUV weapons are the speciality of CAST characters. When summoned, a huge oversized weapon appears from the skies and proceeds to do immense damage to surrounding enemies. Different SUV weapons have different effects, attack patterns and looks.

Why use an SUV?

Big freakin' damage. Some SUV's also have a big freakin' area of effect. This means you can (at a higher level) possibly wipe out a room full of enemies, or at least damage them to a certain extent.

That and most SUV's have some sort of effect on enemies, such as burn, knockdown. Basically means you can be a right nuisance to the enemy.

Plus, it just looks freakin' cool.

Prerequisites

So what do you need in order to unleash the burning, fiery fury of a thousand suns that is SUV weaponary?

Firstly as previously mentioned this weapon is a CAST speciality, meaning your character must be a CAST to use SUV weapons. Your character will also need to be at least level 20.

Class/Job does not effect who can use an SUV. Any CAST, regardless of class can use an SUV (as long as he or she is at least level 20.)

SUV weapons are equiped as armour add-ons, specifically in the extra slot. Obviously you will need armour with an extra slot to use an SUV as it must be equiped to be used.

You'll also need to actually own an SUV. This involves going to the store and buying one =]

You can buy SUV weapons at the armour store on the 2nd floor of the Guardian's Colony or the GRM store in the West District of Parum. The SUV weapons are the "x Buster" add-ons, where x is the name of the SUV.

Be warned, SUV weapons are rather costly, the armour will cost you (depending on what you buy) and the SUVs (currently) go from 2500 to 18000 meseta.

How to use an SUV

So when you've hit level 20, got your armour and bought yourself a shiny new SUV you're probably dying to break it out and try it, causing immense pain to your foes right?

Well how do we do it? Obviously you'll need to equip the SUV first.

In the bottom left of your screen you'll have your character info, level, name, HP etc. You have your two bars, green for HP and yellow for XP (or yellow for HP if you're currently dying). Under these two bars is another bar divided into five sections. When you take and give damage this bar will gradually fill up (it's orange! =D) and when it fills up it will glow blue (you'll notice). This means your mighty SUV is now charged and ready to rock and ruin!

Now take aim by facing your enemy and hit normal and special attack at the same time. (the down and right arrow keys on PC, square and triangle on PS2 - sorry I don't know the combination for XBOX360) You should hear a noise, and suddenly OMGZ a giant gun has appeared above your character which will proceed to bring great justice to all your foes!

Well done, you've just fired an SUV =]

The Different SUV's

So now you're equipped with the information on how to use these weapons, you'll want to know all about the different types right?

Here we go!

Hegel Buster

Ingame Description: SUV gatling system. Attacks enemies w/ sweeping fire from a large-bore gatling gun.

Info: Does what it says on the tin, basically a large pair of gatling guns that will sweep across the field, i.e. move from left to right while firing.

Aiming: Not much skill or placement in aiming is really needed for this, stand still, face your enemies and let the sweeping take out all the enemies.
Pros: Good for groups of enemies. Makes all enemies it hits fly up in the air. Causes "Attack Down" on all enemies that survived...>;3

Cons: If you want to devestate a large group of enemies, there's always the (more expensive) Sturm Buster which also causes "Burn". It's not great against bosses.

Personal Opinion: If you're looking for an SUV for AoE damaging you're better off saving up and going with the Sturm Buster. There's even less skill needed to aim the thing, and the Sturm Buster causes burn, which I think is better than attack down.

Rafal Buster

Ingame Description: SUV gatling system. Attacks enemies w/ concentrated fire fr. a large-bore gatling gun.

Info: Like the Hegel Buster, but it doesn't sweep. Fires infront of you.

Aiming: Skill is needed as it doesn't sweep, and you will need to aim at whatever you're "pwnz0ring". However spread is pretty wide, so it's not too hard.

Pros: Good for bosses. Throws enemies it hits backwards. Causes "Defense Down".

Cons: Needs skill in aiming. You could miss. And waste your precious charge =[ Sucks against groups of enemies as PSU is rarely nice enough to bunch up all your enemies in a nice group for you.

Personal Opinion: It's tough choosing between this SUV and the Grom Buster, the only difference being graphically and the fact that Grom causes "Shock" instead of "Defense Down." It's really up to personal preference at the end of day...(and how much meseta you want to spend.)

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6789/hegelrafalal3.jpg

Blitz Buster

Ingame Description: SUV laser system. Attacks enemies w/ sweeping fire from a large-bore photon laser.

Info: Like the Hegel Buster. But lasery.

Aiming: Again, similar to the Hegel Buster, less skill is needed in aiming as it sweeps.

Pros: Same as the Hegel Buster, but the Blitz Buster causes paralysis (leaving your enemies unable to move) for a short while.

Cons: Similar to the Hegel Buster, though the paralysis effect is quite useful. More expensive than the Hegel Buster.

Personal Opinion: A pretty useful SUV, launches your enemies about and causes paralysis all while blowing large chunks out of enemy HP. It's hard to pick between this SUV and the Sturm Buster for AoE, but keep in mind this SUV is harder to aim than the Sturm.

Grom Buster

Ingame Description: SUV laser system. Attacks enemies w/ concentrated fire fr. a large-bore photon laser.

Info: Like a cross between the Rafal and Blitz Busters. Less bullets, more shiny lasers, doesn't sweep. Fires infront of you.

Aiming: Same as the Rafal Buster. Some skill is required.

Pros: Same as the Rafal Buster, however it causes "Shock" rather than "Defense Down."

Cons: Same as the Rafal Buster. More expensive than the Rafal Buster.

Personal Opinion: As said earlier, tough choosing between this and the Rafal Buster. It's really down to personal preference, I picked the Grom Buster purely because I think it looks cooler. (The shiny lasers.)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9637/blitzgromvl2.jpg

Sturm Buster

Ingame Description: SUV launcher sys. Attacks enemies w/ a volley from a missile launcher.

Info: Mother of all destruction! Launches missiles into the air which promptly fall back down in a fiery hell storm. The ultimate "fire and forget" SUV weapon.

Aiming: Pretty much no skill is required what-so-ever, as it does not sweep to cause it's immense AoE damage. All you've really got to do is face the group of enemies you want to "p00n".

Pros: LARGE area of effect, with no skill in aiming required. Very effective against large groups of enemies and causes "Burn" while throwing enemies upwards. Pure destruction!

Cons: Not too great on bosses, probably better off using the Grom Buster to hurt bosses. Currently the most expensive (useful) SUV, with the price tag at 10000 meseta.

Personal Opinion: Did I just blow the crap out of everything surrounding me? Yes. Yes I did.

This is the mother of all AoE SUV's, causing burn as well as damaging enemies. It's alright on bosses, but you're still better off going with the Grom Buster for bosses...this SUV is still a must have in my opinion.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2757/sturmtc2.jpg

Meteor Buster

Ingame Description: SUV arm system. Attacks enemies with a large-scale power arm.

Info: Summons a pair of large arms to hit enemies around you. Rawr! =3

Aiming: No skill required as it just hits things around you, though you need to be close to what you're attacking...

Pros: Causes large damage. Causes confusion. Good for bosses, and when you're surrounded by enemies. Pretty funny to look at the first few times you summon it. "Lol big armz."

Cons: It misses enemies more (causes 0 damage). No range at all. Most expensive SUV at 18000 meseta.

Personal Opinion: I personally don't find this SUV useful at all, the only reason for me using it would be purely comical...it has no range (for obvious reasons) although it hits hard. But less. Up to you if you want to use it or not, though I think at that price tag it's not worth it.

Personal Preference on SUV's

I have on my CAST the Hegel, Grom and Sturm Busters.

Grom is good for bosses, thanks to it's concentrated fire and the Sturm is excellent for taking out large groups of enemies. The Hegel I keep because I think it looks pretty sweet! Giant gatling guns! =D

Extra Information

Well that's the guide! Here's some extra info:

SUV damage is based off of your base ATP stat.

Summoning an SUV will remove all positive and negative status effects from the user at the time of summoning.

SUV's are short for "Supah Ubah Veapon-system."

(Kidding.)

Hope you found this guide useful! Please offer all corrections or improvements you think this guide could do with.

EDIT HISTORY

19-Apr-07 - PS2 SUV combination, gramatical/language errors/changes. Thanks to MegamanX

27-Apr-07 - SUV pictures added for all except Meteor. Need to be bothered to waste 18k first. Pictures are of my alt, Xiao Yu.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyX on 2007-04-19 14:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyX on 2007-04-19 14:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyX on 2007-04-27 02:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyX on 2007-04-27 02:38 ]</font>

PsyX
Apr 17, 2007, 01:14 PM
Oh - I will add pictures when I can...

Dhylec
Apr 18, 2007, 08:44 PM
Not bad. Another source for SUV reference.

On 2007-04-17 11:14, PsyX wrote:
Oh - I will add pictures when I can...

Indeed, that will be visually helpful & more interesting.

Genoa
Apr 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
SUV weapons are the speciality of CAST characters. When summoned, it's basically a huge pair of guns (or arms) that do immense damage to surrounding enemies. Different SUV weapons have different effects, attack patterns and looks.
{Suposedly there's going to be a beam-sword SUV, so, I'd make a general statement like ... "oversized weapon"}

Firstly as previously mentioned this weapon is a CAST speciality, meaning your character must be a CAST to use SUV weapons. Your character will also need to be at least level 20.

Class/Job does not effect who can use an SUV. Any CAST, regardless of class can use an SUV (as long as he or she is above level 20.)
{as long as he or she is atleast level 20}

Now take aim by facing your enemy and hit normal and special attack at the same time. (the down and right arrow keys on PC - sorry I don't know the other combinations for PS2/XBOX360) You should hear a noise, and suddenly OMGZ a giant gun has appeared above your character which will proceed to bring great justice to all your foes!
{I don't know the xbox >_> but PS2 is Square+Triangle}

Summoning an SUV will remove all buffs/debuffs from your character at the time of summoning.
{some people might get confused, I would just say "removes positive and negative status effects from the user"

Just a few things I saw =/ other than that, it pretty good. Nice job

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-04-18 19:04 ]</font>

Daggart
Apr 18, 2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNZxEMx_5Q
There's a video with the SUV weapons, in stated order, though I don't think some are using the US names. But still.

Still, interesting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daggart on 2007-04-18 21:18 ]</font>

PsyX
Apr 19, 2007, 04:41 PM
On 2007-04-18 19:02, MegamanX wrote:

SUV weapons are the speciality of CAST characters. When summoned, it's basically a huge pair of guns (or arms) that do immense damage to surrounding enemies. Different SUV weapons have different effects, attack patterns and looks.
{Suposedly there's going to be a beam-sword SUV, so, I'd make a general statement like ... "oversized weapon"}

Class/Job does not effect who can use an SUV. Any CAST, regardless of class can use an SUV (as long as he or she is above level 20.)
{as long as he or she is atleast level 20}

Now take aim by facing your enemy and hit normal and special attack at the same time. (the down and right arrow keys on PC - sorry I don't know the other combinations for PS2/XBOX360) You should hear a noise, and suddenly OMGZ a giant gun has appeared above your character which will proceed to bring great justice to all your foes!
{I don't know the xbox >_> but PS2 is Square+Triangle}

Summoning an SUV will remove all buffs/debuffs from your character at the time of summoning.
{some people might get confused, I would just say "removes positive and negative status effects from the user"

Just a few things I saw =/ other than that, it pretty good. Nice job

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-04-18 19:04 ]</font>

Thanks for the feedback!

I've changed some of the guide.

I'll possibly take the pictures tommorow. Involves sitting around taking damage on my CAST alt. Fun!

Unless anyone has any decent pictures of the SUV's already that they'd be willing to share?

PsyX
Apr 27, 2007, 04:27 AM
Bump - Pictures added.

Could someone please tell me the button combination for starting an SUV on XBOX360?

Hrith
Apr 27, 2007, 08:17 AM
Rafal and Hegel Buster do not look the same. Neither do Grom and Blitz Buster. You forgot Meteor Buster ;s

SolomonGrundy
Apr 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
meteor buster counts as melee damage, btw

Sharkyland
Apr 27, 2007, 01:30 PM
Also note that there is a certain length for Rafal and Grom... if smaller enemies get hit too much in an open field they will fly out of the range of these SUVs. Though large enemies such as a Jarba that just get stunned are okay for these enemies.

I think Blitz buster and Rafal buster are more of a blue-purplish color.

---

X+Y for Xbox360 button combination. I've been trying to get a hit count for rafal and grom, but I always seem to miscount somewhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-04-27 11:32 ]</font>

PsyX
Apr 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
On 2007-04-27 06:17, Hrith wrote:
Rafal and Hegel Buster do not look the same. Neither do Grom and Blitz Buster. You forgot Meteor Buster ;s

Really? Oh crap. I was just being lazy. I'll get the rest of the pictures tommorow.

Secondly, I gave a reason for forgetting Meteor.

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2007, 08:40 PM
Are the damage modifiers for both rafal and grom the same? As in, on the same character, they'd do the same amount of damage per hit, the same amount of times, and have the same summoning animation?

Packrat
Apr 29, 2007, 08:54 PM
Maybe you should add that one can change between SUVs at any time if they have it and won't affect their SUV bar (if it's full, they can quickly switch SUVs depending on the situation and then use it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)..

Hucast-Kireek
Apr 29, 2007, 11:56 PM
Cant wait for the Gigas Espadas SUV!

Ravennittes
Apr 30, 2007, 04:47 AM
On 2007-04-29 21:56, Hucast-Kireek wrote:
Cant wait for the Gigas Espadas SUV!

Well, the name sure describes the SUV http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hell, with a name like 'Giant Sword' you can't go wrong when it's a giant sword.

PsyX
May 1, 2007, 06:08 AM
On 2007-04-29 18:40, Zorafim wrote:
Are the damage modifiers for both rafal and grom the same? As in, on the same character, they'd do the same amount of damage per hit, the same amount of times, and have the same summoning animation?

All SUV damage is based off your raw ATP stat. So the damage should be the same on the same character.

I'm not sure about amount of hits, I've not tried counting yet...

The summoning animations are similar for all SUVs, the SUV appears above your character's head and drops down. Obviously the SUVs are different graphically.

On 2007-04-29 18:54, Packrat wrote:
Maybe you should add that one can change between SUVs at any time if they have it and won't affect their SUV bar (if it's full, they can quickly switch SUVs depending on the situation and then use it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)..

Good idea. I'll add it next update when I add all the SUV pictures. Though it might be a while, I'm not really in the mood to do much lately 'cos of personal reasons.

Karana
Aug 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the Guide! =D
I have two questions...
How common are the SUV weapons in the shops?
I have a Level 22 Cast Ranger and I have a Line shield with an Extra Slot.
aand...
Do you have to "Unlock" this ability?
I've been playing Story Mode through and I recently reached the "Nanoblast" chapter.
I was wondering, do I have to beat the "SUV Weapon" chapter? The one wher Lou uses her SUV weapon?

Thanks! =D

Karana
Aug 4, 2007, 11:30 PM
Oh! By the way!!
The button combination for XBOX360 for a Nanoblast or an SUV Weapon would be X+Y.

Just confirming Sharkyland's claim, kekeke
I have PSU for XBOX360, so I know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Karana on 2007-08-04 21:33 ]</font>

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 5, 2007, 01:49 AM
Personal Opinion: It's tough choosing between this SUV and the Grom Buster, the only difference being graphically and the fact that Grom causes "Shock" instead of "Defense Down." It's really up to personal preference at the end of day...(and how much meseta you want to spend.)

That's not the only difference, Rafal has more range than Grom whereas Grom has a higher ATP modifier.

SabZero
Aug 5, 2007, 04:17 AM
I want to add something I noticed about Meteor buster (I am also using sturm buster).

Meteor causes confusion, and that means monsters don't come after you right after the SUV finishes (something I noticed very much with Sturm). A plus in my opinion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
My opinion is that the Blitz Attacker / Meteor Attacker are the two strongest SUV weapons at the time, and I get the feeling that Gigas Espada will become the strongest after Ambition of Illuminus.

MrNomad
Aug 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
On 2007-08-05 13:03, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
My opinion is that the Blitz Attacker / Meteor Attacker are the two strongest SUV weapons at the time, and I get the feeling that Gigas Espada will become the strongest after Ambition of Illuminus.

actually I think grom is still currently the strongest http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Niloklives
Aug 7, 2007, 09:06 AM
grom also has a wider spread than rafal