PDA

View Full Version : pissed off vets

Kaos-Bringer-
Dec 10, 2002, 08:18 AM
i wanna know how many vets from older ver of pso have tried to be showed up by a "newby-know-it-all"?

MilkManX
Dec 10, 2002, 10:28 AM
I had an experience yesterday. My friend just got started so I made a Hucaseal to play with his new Racast. We trek through forest no problem. We make it to the caves and this player joins us. He doesnt really help much at all. He is lvl 17 and we are 8. As we get to caves 3 I mention that we could really use a Partisan to attack Del Rol. He totally went off on me and said they are "useless" and that his brand does more damage. Yeah the brand does but does it hit the worm in 4 spots? No. Then we fight the worm without a partisan or sword or a force. It was hard and my friend died a few times but I carry Moon Atoms at all times. Then we both die and this lvl 17 guy just says. Sorry no moons. WTF. Nice teamplayer. Sorry I just had to vent. That is the first time I ever played with someone that was so lame.

Mag_Launcher
Dec 10, 2002, 11:42 AM
I don't like being stood up by these high level newcomers, either.

"You're just level 26 OMG n00b go lvl up n00b." Yeah... DC vet since first day of v1, pal, reco'nize.

But it's kinda funny to show those bastards up with your own stuff. It's not often when you find a level 26 brandishing a Baranz Launcher, hehehe...

(Side note: Why the F#*% did they make Baranz Launcher green? The blue was cooler... and anatomically correct.)

Tavia
Dec 10, 2002, 12:02 PM
On 2002-12-10 05:18, Kaos-Bringer- wrote:
i wanna know how many vets from older ver of pso have tried to be showed up by a "newby-know-it-all"?

Have tried to be showed up? Do you mean, deliberately said, "hey there, feller! Show me up!"

My analness aside, I have not had that happen yet, but I really wouldn't care if they did. That's the kind of person who makes a "Number One" symbol chat icon worth making.

Alena Zouryx
Dec 10, 2002, 12:29 PM
I am a vet from v1 myself, but if you read your own words, you seem to be full of yourself too. Just because you're more experience in playing doesn't mean you're any better. I don't think anyone is "better" according to length of play experience or one's level. It's all in the skill of the player, and some new players have it. Just get over yourself and play the game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

HunterXHunter
Dec 10, 2002, 12:31 PM
I think that is pretty stupid but its also funny when you know all the secrets and they dont and when you battle and they supposedly have something strong enough to beat you but you kill em anyways cause your percentis better... as a veteran you have to tolerate the newer generation thats just the way life is, but you know more than them and that in frame of mind should make you feel better than what they say to you.It's good to watch them do something stupid and then never let them hear the end of it.

sMiLeY
Dec 10, 2002, 01:40 PM
hey just be happy you don't have people in aw cuz ur a pso vet. I'm a new person to PSO (i started w/ GC because i couldn't ever get a DC.) I am always nice to people and I don't often play w/ people that aren't my level range. 2-3 levels away is my range. I like playing with PSO vets, they know so much about the game.

Kayumi
Dec 10, 2002, 02:06 PM
"Vets" have a bit of a responsibility to try to show "noobs" what they know...but the "noobs" have a responsibility to try to learn from them.

And none of that means that a "vet" can't be wrong. Nor does it mean that the noobs are always going to need teaching.

Me, f'rexample...I've got couple hundred hours of playtime under my belt, on both systems, but I consider myself to be a bit of a n00b because I never played online until quite recently, and still can't on the Cube. I know how to play solo. I can kick arse in offline mode, with Hunters, Forces, or Rangers. I know exactly where to stand to make the bosses easier, I know when to equip what, and so on and so forth.

Trouble is, playing alone isn't really all that much like playing with friends. Alone, you worry about yourself and that's it. Online, you have to remember not to grab EVERYTHING you see in case one of your teammates can use it. You have to remember to keep an eye on your friend's hitpoints, in case they need resta/star atomizer--and healing people shouldn't just be relegated to the Forces. You gotta remember to Shifta/Deband, if you have the highest level in those techs, when everyone's near you. Can't just stop to feed the mag "whenever", can't just decide "time to shop" whenever...there's a whole different set of strategies.

But I'm not exactly "noobish" in other ways.

Y'know?

Seperating people by how long they played, or how experienced they seem to be, is always a bad idea. It sets up stereotyping and really doesn't leave anyone with an open mind. The "noobs" will be afraid to play with the "vets" because they'll feel like idiots or they'll be treated like that's what they are, even if they're just making simple mistakes. And the vets wont want to play with the noobs because of a percieved superiority.

Everyone can learn something from everyone else. Let's not let how long we've been at this stop us from doing what the game's designed for--making friends and having fun.

Armok
Dec 10, 2002, 02:43 PM
OK this didnt happen on GC pso but bear with me ok

I was on DC pso like 3 monthys ago when a guy with a lv 103 hucast asked me to help him lv up on TTF (its a quest on dc if new). I was like yer fine (cos he was a fellow poster on gfaqs at time).

So we started this quest and he had an modded srank needle (If dont know about these things they have a +1000 atp and 180% increase of total damage so kill everything in one go and he had one for each area).

I was like ok but let me get a shot in on the bosses for Exp (I was only lv 137 after all). SO he shoots dragon but as dragon falls over i got my hit in ok fine.

Del ra Lie (watever worn on ult called) got shot in again but no thanks to him (I love my red mechs).

Vol Orb nope he kills that one before i have chance and i like come on m8 give me some exp.

So we make Dark Falz and as usaully happens he didnt have enough exp for the swipe attack and dies. I have perfect shot but insted revive him as team game. So DF uses his soul steal attack on me and u guessed it he fires away kills me doesnt revive and i get no exp. Guy just goes gtg quits and leaves me dead unable to revive so have to walk back get me stuff.

Now dont give me stuff about newbies its the selfish ppl i dont like

Oh to even say u a vet is weird I did 2000 plus hrs on dc editions since release and my m8 blue got 16 lv 100 plus chars and we aint total vets

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armok on 2002-12-10 11:46 ]</font>

Foggy_Pete
Dec 10, 2002, 06:00 PM
i to have had an experience like this

we were near the begining of ruins two and i had just joined a team as soon as someone left. a telepipe was offered and i found myself sharing a dot switch with a rediculously tall and muscular HUmar. taking a note that there were three people in the game and they were attempting to open a 4 person door, i started to walk off and noticed i was not being followed. stoping i laboriously attempted to explain to these two stuborn, clueless newbs that it takes 4 people to open the door and we were short a person.
BUT THIS IS THE WAY
having only a software keyboard at my disposal i slowly responded
the door has 4 dots and we dont have enough people...im going on
NO DONT
I will steal RED BOX! > Everybody
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!
they chatted back and forth about how stupid i was and how they would find all the rares past the 4 dot door. an hour rolled by and a 4th person had yet to join and at last, being my level 54 self i had struggled my way to falz hall, alone, and found myself hopeless and indignant knowing that i couldnt defeat falz without the *help* of these two walking meat sacks
yes, i eventualy had to leave that game and throw all my hard work sumiting the ruins away because of two, hopeless fools

Hayato_Kenzaki
Dec 10, 2002, 06:23 PM
Yeh sometimes it can get anyoying. I myself am a vet from the old DC versions. It does get anyoning when you get online with a new character you made and everyone treats you like a newbie, and just assumes that you know nothing. Now for some newbies its true, they dont really know much, but that doesnt mean us vets should treat them like scum, they are people you know. Although some newbies can just be complete a**es. You just have to remeber that you were once a newbie also, no matter how many hours you have under your belt.

CajunSamurai
Dec 10, 2002, 07:15 PM
I've only had it happen to me very subtly, so it really hasn't bugged me. I'm a day 1'er from Version 1 so I definitely know my PSO, in and out, but I do make sure to (make an attempt to) show newbies a few tricks, when I can. Call me a showoff, but it's always fun to see a newbie's flabbergasted message when I whip out a spell/weapon/rappy they've never seen. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
...At the same time though, I ain't gonna let no newbie teach me how to combo my attacks. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Sapphire87
Dec 10, 2002, 10:23 PM
I personally like helping newbies. In fact, that's all I do nowadays on the DC. Yeah sometimes they'll do and say some stupid things but it's fun being a sort of tutor and mentor to someone who's new to PSO. I remember the very first time when someone cast Shifta/Deband on me. I had no idea what that was. It totally freaked me out. But the person who cast it patiently explained the spell to me even though it's common knowledge to everyone else. The only time a newbie would "show up" to me is when they would whip out a ultra rare weapon (obviously given to them by someone who hacked it) and try to show off with it. But even that doesn't upset me. I just pretend to be impressed by the rare and say things like "Oh, nice Twin Blaze; I love those things!" If the person feels like they're important because he or she shows off a rare weapon, then so be it. Just play along with them with a smile on your face.

2Xtreme
Dec 10, 2002, 10:45 PM
I don't like when new player refuse to learn from me. I was playing in a game the other day with my new force, Sparky, and our team was screwed every boss fight because I was the only one that carried moons. I told my team after every battle to buy moons, but do they? No!

BonusKun
Dec 10, 2002, 11:44 PM
Guy just goes gtg quits and leaves me dead unable to revive so have to walk back get me stuff.

anytime I'm dragged into a game where I might deal with that crap I always keep a load of scapes on me just so I can at least get paid.

Such a shame that some people don't even real the manual!!

When someone asks about % weapons or why they can't equip a weapon I almost roll my eyes. Sometimes I'm nice and i will explain to some n00bs about shit involving the game to get better but I'm not going to hold their hand along the way.

Personally I'm happy as all fuck only rangers can use Spread needles now. I was so sick of all the other character class outside of Forces being able to use them.

Give me some up close meelee combat anyday..

Subliminalgroove
Dec 11, 2002, 12:00 AM
Just a little note out in defense of us decent n00bs (why is that such a derogatory word anyway... everybody is a newbie once!). Not every new player is going to be like that. You run into one... leave, ditch her. If they aren't being a team player or aren't trying to pull their weight in a game, go somewhare else. No one is holding you at gun point to play with a bunch of hot shot dillholes.
And the "GRRRRR stupid n00b," thing can be the reverse just as often. There are just as many "Vets" out there being frustrating and malicious to the "Newbies" as there are "Newbies annoying "Vets". Just learn who us good "n00bs" are... Its not that hard. Most all of the time we will appriciate your Vetran wisdom and do our best for a mutually enjoyable PSO experience....

Sorry to vent.... I'm tired of hearing the newbies complain about the vets and the vets complain about the newbs... CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Sub

edit for way too many foul ups... god, to think I have an English degree...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Subliminalgroove on 2002-12-10 21:11 ]</font>

MPLe
Dec 11, 2002, 03:06 AM
I'm tired of hearing the newbies complain about the vets and the vets complain about the newbs... CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Sub

Since I started playing PSO v1, people have been complaining about each other. What makes a newbie a newbie? What makes a vet a vet? I've seen people talk about how they've been playing since DC v1, but that doesn't mean that they're a vet. I've been playing since v1 but I feel like a "n00b" sometimes just because I don't know some things that many people know. The way I see it, there are just players... no vets, no newbies.

Maverynthia
Dec 11, 2002, 04:01 AM
Yeah I'm a newbie to this BBS but I'm going to get my 2 meseta in.

I classify n00bs as those chat speaking whiners that do exactly as you all have described.
Don't read the manual, don't want to listen to people who HAVE been playing the game and know that a 4 button door ONLY opens when you have 4 people. They are RUDE and type lolz, plz and generally speak in bad grammer a LOT. I hate them...I leave games where people talk like that because they are obviously n00bs. (They are usually the ones that are trying the h4xx0r the game too)

Now..Newbies...
Newbies are people who don't quite get how the game works, asks what seems like pointless questions but with grammer and politeness and generally listen to the person who has been playing PSO.
Like when the vet tells you to run from the dragon and hit the walls when the drgaon takes his nosedive. I remember that day in my slightly newbie-ish days. What did I do...I hit the wall and ran like crazy.
Vet pipes out and goes to the shop, I follow. If the vet is shopping for stuff...I need probably need stuff too, like mates, moons and pipes. Newbies are polite and are generally wet behind the ears, they ask stupid but honest questions. Like, what is the best spell in caves and such. N00bs however, should be shoved into a pit and KILLED.

Also since Nintedo has a reputation for kiddie games most of the n00bs are of the age of 14...don't know why but it was a common n00b age...so the mental capacity to proccess anything other than DBZ plotlines and "tings liek that lolz" are out of the question. If you do find a 14 year old that is a Newbie and not a n00b, tell that person how great they are for not sinking into the bowels of n00b-dom and praise them for paying attention in school and getting a good education like the should be doing.

MHO - My humble opinion

CorneliusPower
Dec 11, 2002, 08:28 AM
I agree with Mavery. These Noobs are always annoying and so unhelpful. I have been holding this post off for a long time and i finally have to let everyone know, I have had a horrid experience with PSO recently. My HUmar fresh out of VHard and giving Ultimate mode a shot was a horrid first time team experience. I was lvl 100 on my HUmar, I made a game, I only had F1 access, I started F1 and someone joins, a player by the name of Asuka Lassic, a lvl 138 RAmarl at the time. I had Demo Comet equipped and said to Asuka, Im at beginning of F1, no response, I see her and she had standstill shield, some crazy rainbow staff thing and the rare mag you get by feeding it right. Well we both were playing and I played and played, No shifta yet, hmmm. I asked politly, can u please shifta......no response.....ok so i move on still no shifta, meanwhile she's killing everything leaving me the bear minimum exp, still no shifta. Ok now we're in F2. I finally ask after struggling, Why dont you cast shifta on me? Asuka says, you have your own. I simply say, umm HUmars cant cast shifta. No response. By that time some HUcaseal entered and was being shifta-ed. I went through entire forest 1-2 with no shifta. When we enter Sil Dragon, my mag fortunatly casts shifta/deband on me. of course being lvl 100 i unfortunatly die through unfortunate circumstances......Noone revives me at all, they walk over me and they reply no moons. Both. I rejuvenate at Medics and I hear a bunch of LOL's! I have to say that this is utterly a horrible experience and that Asuka Lassic, i dont give a shit who that person is how high lvl it is or whatever, but i have to say IS the most horrible team player and PSOer ever. I later ser that Asuka in the lobby and IT tells everyone Im weak and a noob and whatever. Im disgusted by these type of ppl. If your a PSOW Asuka, please reply. For you are a disgusting PSO player. Just goes to show that fellow PSO vets call other PSO vets noob. Phew! My 2 cents, peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CorneliusPower on 2002-12-11 05:35 ]</font>

rena-ko
Dec 11, 2002, 09:19 AM
i would have left, even before F2 - like 'oh, how time goes by - gtg'... whats the sense by enduring such egocentric 'teamplay'?

asuka may be a 'vet' by have been playing on dreamcast also, but not knowing what changed with ep1&2 is very noobish...

well, just my 2 euro-cent...

Goza
Dec 11, 2002, 09:37 AM
I'm gonna prepare for a world of hurt on this one, but... talk about getting way too into it. Sounds like the House and Senate.

rena-ko
Dec 11, 2002, 09:46 AM
not everyone is a masochist, i think... or do you like to be treatened like lower life, stupid or misplaced?

Mag_Launcher
Dec 11, 2002, 01:19 PM
People with super rares are assholes. For instance, Asuka Lassic.

There's 3 factors of respect in PSO: Your level, your skill, and your rares.

BonusKun
Dec 11, 2002, 01:48 PM
On 2002-12-11 10:19, Mag_Launcher wrote:
People with super rares are assholes. For instance, Asuka Lassic.

This is sad but it's so very true. Generally I tend to not even give two shits abotu the whole mess and go about my business.

I play with people I like playing with and have a good time. I get mad respect for being abel to pwn c mode with little effort but I always tell people that's a team thing and not just me.

Maverynthia
Dec 11, 2002, 08:25 PM
I'll remember to tell Asuka Lassic my 2 cents ^_^.
Though I didn't know until now that HUmars can no longer cast Shifta/Deband O.O
Besides it IS regulated to a force to cast Resta/Shifta/Deband in teamplay, that's what they are for..the spell backup...
Though as players it is good to feed your force 'fluids. [not aysing you did anything wrong just last time I took Eiji for a dungeon trawl, they expected everything from me and gave me nothing.]

It also reminds me of the time the FOmarl wasn't casting Resta on anyone but themselves and me as the slightly higher level HUmar had too!

I'm just saying we should designate the term 'n00b' as the derogatory chat speaking ignorants and 'newbie' as someone new to the game.

Though if you have experience in the DC version does that make you a newbie to the GC version...or just a rusty vet...^_^

Subliminalgroove
Dec 12, 2002, 12:33 AM
I'm just saying we should designate the term 'n00b' as the derogatory chat speaking ignorants and 'newbie' as someone new to the game.

Sounds right by me. Just don't go bandying the word "newbie" like an insult and you got no argument from me.
The truth is, there are idiots and arsemonkeys on both sides of the experience fence. Play with your friends and have fun. If you run into a jackass. Don't play with her again. Simple. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sub

Sion
Dec 12, 2002, 01:41 AM
yes, today...i was like mmmmm im not a noob geez...lol...so demining...

CajunSamurai
Dec 12, 2002, 01:48 AM
On 2002-12-11 01:01, Maverynthia wrote:
Yeah I'm a newbie to this BBS but I'm going to get my 2 meseta in.

I classify n00bs as those chat speaking whiners that do exactly as you all have described.
Don't read the manual, don't want to listen to people who HAVE been playing the game and know that a 4 button door ONLY opens when you have 4 people. They are RUDE and type lolz, plz and generally speak in bad grammer a LOT. I hate them...I leave games where people talk like that because they are obviously n00bs. (They are usually the ones that are trying the h4xx0r the game too)

Now..Newbies...
Newbies are people who don't quite get how the game works, asks what seems like pointless questions but with grammer and politeness and generally listen to the person who has been playing PSO.
Like when the vet tells you to run from the dragon and hit the walls when the drgaon takes his nosedive. I remember that day in my slightly newbie-ish days. What did I do...I hit the wall and ran like crazy.
Vet pipes out and goes to the shop, I follow. If the vet is shopping for stuff...I need probably need stuff too, like mates, moons and pipes. Newbies are polite and are generally wet behind the ears, they ask stupid but honest questions. Like, what is the best spell in caves and such. N00bs however, should be shoved into a pit and KILLED.

Also since Nintedo has a reputation for kiddie games most of the n00bs are of the age of 14...don't know why but it was a common n00b age...so the mental capacity to proccess anything other than DBZ plotlines and "tings liek that lolz" are out of the question. If you do find a 14 year old that is a Newbie and not a n00b, tell that person how great they are for not sinking into the bowels of n00b-dom and praise them for paying attention in school and getting a good education like the should be doing.

MHO - My humble opinion

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Yeah, from now on, "n00b" is gonna be my derogitory term for a generally dumb, rude or jackass player. I laughed pretty hard when you mentioned 14 year old n00bs and their mental capacity of a toilet bowl. Ohh man, gone are the days of me playing with n00bs called SSJ235Goku69 and such.

Far as newbies, I have absolutely no problem with them and generally I enjoy helping them out. We were ALL newbies at one point or another, and it can really suck to come into an established online game such as PSO when there're so many hardcore players, and you're the new guy/gal that's just learning how to combo your attacks.
Newbie-ism is what's keeping me from playing several online games, in fact. I was lucky enough to begin PSO on the first day of its US release so I started as a newbie with everyone else. But then there's games like Neverwinter Nights on PC that although I've beaten offline, it's pretty damn intimidating to enter an online NWN game and wander around looking for parties like a... well, newbie. Especially for someone that's barely layed a finger on PC RPGs. So I definitely know what it's like.
Ever try being a newbie in a first person shooter? Oh man. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Luckily, with a little practice versus bots offline, one can surpass the bare bones newbie level and hold their own.

The point of all that was... umm... I forget.

Anyway, from now on for me:

n00b = S00P3RS4Y1NG0KU hitting on all the female characters in Vega even though most of them are played by guys.
newb = SuperBubba asking politely AND with grammar above the 3rd grade level how to increase his ATA, to which I politely answer back, "Why SuperBubba, you simple have to feed your mag specific items such as antidotes or antiparalysis!"

Annoy
Dec 12, 2002, 01:41 PM
I've never played online...mainly because I never had the stuff to connect my DC with...and now I can't get a BBA for my Cube... I'm not like those people who are arrogant and haughty about everything. I prefer to keep my mouth shut and say something only when it's important... or when I'm just chatting...but when I'm chatting it's about something of importance...not like:

"HA! You're only level (whatever their level is)! You must really suck!"

I hate that...it's annoying and doesn't help in anyway or form...but hey...everywhere you go...given the time...there will be troublemakers...

Wewt
Dec 12, 2002, 01:57 PM
On 2002-12-11 10:19, Mag_Launcher wrote:

I wouldn't use the word "Respect", when talking about a game...

As for the factors stated, they are very true. Although I wouldn't say that the items you have would say whether or not you're better at the game, or just a vet. Level and skill would be more appropriate to determine one's status on the game.

MilkManX
Dec 12, 2002, 02:07 PM
For the record Bonus Kun is one mad skills C-Mode player. I tend to only play on Antares 8 and havent had any n00b problems yet. Just that one instanace I noted on page 1 of this thread.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 12, 2002, 02:35 PM
Species of newbies:

Newbie: Genuine newcomer to the game. Polite, eager to learn, akin to fuzzy puppies begging for help from older, more grizzled dogs.

N00bs: Newcomer to the game. Asshole meter is off the scale. No regard for anybody but themselves. Usually identified by 1337 speak, profanity and close association with DBZ in character name and character appearance.

Nubs: A mysterious species of newbie, one that has yet to be classified. Speculation has it that nubs (pronounced nu-bees) are a lesser version of n00bs, possibly a hybrid offspring of newbies and noobs.

Jae
Dec 12, 2002, 03:04 PM
Vets vs. Newbies. Bah.

Vets and newbies are equally capable of acting like total jackasses. No level of experience or exposure will change your gameplay mentality. Believe me, I've played with quite a few high level 'l33T DC v.1 v3tZ' who have no concept of sharing or team play.

Personally, I'd rather play alongside a lvl 10 HU with a crap Saber who got nailed trying to Moon his/her teammate, rather than a lvl 130 HU with the BMKB who solos off into seperate rooms, box-humps and leaves the rest of the team to fend for themselves all the time. It's not the experience level that gains the respect, it's the player.

Kasera
Dec 12, 2002, 04:25 PM
Vet or n00b. Who cares? Play the game, have fun, stop taking yourself so seriously.

GimpyBoy
Dec 12, 2002, 05:02 PM
On 2002-12-12 13:25, Kasera wrote:
Vet or n00b. Who cares? Play the game, have fun, stop taking yourself so seriously.

Words of wisdom...

Subliminalgroove
Dec 12, 2002, 08:29 PM
On 2002-12-12 13:25, Kasera wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Exactly what I've been trying to say. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif