PDA

View Full Version : Videocard troubles. Radeon X-1950 Pro AGP 512MB

Uncle_bob
Apr 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
I've tried everything I can think of to get this videocard to work. I've already spent upwards of 6 hours trying every damn setting possible.

Here's the problem:

Computer boots up normally, and gets as far as the Windows loading screen.

After that instead of getting the regular blue log-on screen I just get a black screen with my monitor telling me to "check my PC's display settings". I've tried installing the drivers before installing the card, using Driver Cleaner, setting my BIOS to defaults, updating my chipset, and many BIOS settings.

Any solutions?

And if it helps, here's my computer.

Motherboard: MSI KM4M-V
Power supply: 460W Enermax
RAM: 1.5 GB
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+

The only thing I have not tried so far is updating my BIOS.

Genoa
Apr 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
I had something similar, I had to put my old one in to boot up, then i'd switch it and set the setting on the graphics card for new one. :< not really sure if that's going to help you at all >_>

EDIT: and by switch it, I mean I had to put my monitor plug-in in my original vid.card slot, THEN after boot-up, I had to switch it to the new vid.card outlet :<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-04-21 15:45 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Apr 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
I'd suggest updating the BIOS if at all possible. I'd also recommend a boot device BIOS update, and not through Windows. If you don't have a floppy, try borrowing one (or going to a local surplus store as they tend to be $5 used and $0.50 for the cable). It sounds like a conflict, and it's the only other thing I can think of short of a clean install of Windows. I'm skeptical that the card is bad because you mentioned how you get display and are able to change BIOS settings using that card.

VioletSkye
Apr 21, 2007, 08:45 PM
what settings are listed if you boot the pc using the onboard video? Resolution? Color Quality? Also kick the refresh rate down to 60 for now. Uninstall the the driver for the Radeon. Run Driver Cleaner again. Then put the Radeon back in and try booting.

If you have the option, set the display in your BIOS to automatic. Most newer boards will auto detect a dedicated card and use that. Make sure you do NOT uninstall the drivers for the onboard video. If that doesn't work, then disable the onboard in the BIOS and look for Assign IRQ to VGA and turn it off (if in fact it has that option in BIOS.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-04-21 18:59 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Apr 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
God damnit. I tried updating my BIOS as a last effort to resolve this issue, but it won't let me. I boot up with CD

A:
I switch to D: since I'm using a CD for this
D:AWFL833C.EXE

This takes me to the screen I need. It asks me for the programmer file. W7061VMS.140
"Please wait!"
Yay, it's working!
"INSUFFICIENT MEMORY"
FUCK. Any advice? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

VioletSkye
Apr 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
Tried using the /tiny switch? BTW is this an Award BIOS? Also disable the video and system caching as well as all types of Shadow Memory. Having Device drivers loaded (including those for optical drives) can be an issue and can cause that error also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-04-30 17:50 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Apr 30, 2007, 08:05 PM
/tiny doesn't work, my BIOS is too old. ;( Anything else that Video and System chaching may be listed as? I didn't see them anywhere, though it's possible I over-looked them

VioletSkye
Apr 30, 2007, 08:15 PM
Turn off anything that has Shadow listed (if indeed anything is listed.)
Maybe Video Shadowing, Video RAM cacheable, Video cache mode, something like that. Same for System caching.

What is the model number of the mobo and also what BIOS is it currently running?

Do you have a floppy drive? if so, use a Win98 boot disk to get to a command prompt, then try switching to the optical drive and flashing.

SabZero
May 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Did you remove the old graphics card from the windows hardware manager list (or unistall the drivers) before pulling it out? That is the recommended way to do it, anyway (uninstall hadware before physically taking it out).

Also, always turn the power off (reminder light has to be off on motherboard) before meddling with PC hardware.

Uncle_bob
May 1, 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh lawd, yes. I completely removed any traces of the old card from my computer before installing the new one.

Pakwan
May 3, 2007, 03:24 PM
What was the old graphics card? I hope it wasn't ATI also....

watashiwa
May 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
Does the new card boot even in safe mode?

If it does, just boot into safe mode, then adjust the display properties to like 640x480x256 colors and force the refresh to 60hz, then save settings and reboot into normal mode.. see if that works.