PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Team , FSOD, and us.

Blur2168
Dec 10, 2002, 08:31 PM
i've had a realyly bad week PSO-wise so far. First my bro's character ( u might have seen his post on my username a few days ago) got FSOD and lost his Spread Needle +40 ( max grinded/ground) i took heed of this, and jsut carried around what i needed to. just 1 wep and my mag, armor, etc. i wuz levleing up a mind mag tho, for my friend, since he just made a force. Well, i started Heat Sword in Vhard toway w/ a few friends and decided to take my Yamato's and my Last Survivor, just to kill stuff faster. then , in hte middle of F1 ... ::horn noise: beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. I'm thinking ... my god.. you have GOT to be kidding me. FSOD. i lost my Yamato's and the mag i wuz lv'in up. i really thought ST, would take some steps to fix this kinda crap b4 EpI and II came out ... but i guess they're just the same ol' lazy basterds they were BEFORE we were paying them 10 bucks a month to sit around and do #$@%. So, does anybody know if ST is doing ANYTHING to get rid of FSOD in EpI and II? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >.< . see ya l8r

RagMasterRappy
Dec 10, 2002, 08:46 PM
You people must operate your GameCubes in an oven or something. I haven't had any problems with PSO.

ginko990
Dec 10, 2002, 08:49 PM
200+ hours, no FSODd....running strong baby http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Blur2168
Dec 10, 2002, 08:54 PM
umm... i don't think it has nething to do wit hthe Cube overheating ... plus mine is plenty ventilited. and i wasn't even on for long .. like 1/2 an hour

RagMasterRappy
Dec 10, 2002, 09:45 PM
On 2002-12-10 17:54, Blur2168 wrote:
umm... i don't think it has nething to do wit hthe Cube overheating ... plus mine is plenty ventilited. and i wasn't even on for long .. like 1/2 an hour

It's gotta be something with your hardware, because when I play PSO I leave the GameCube on for hours on end (up to 4 or 5 for the weekend sessions) and haven't had any problems.

sonicblue
Dec 10, 2002, 09:52 PM
On 2002-12-10 18:45, RagMasterRappy wrote:

It's gotta be something with your hardware, because when I play PSO I leave the GameCube on for hours on end (up to 4 or 5 for the weekend sessions) and haven't had any problems.

I really doubt it's his hardware. It probably has to do more with his connection and bad luck.

RagMasterRappy
Dec 10, 2002, 09:59 PM
On 2002-12-10 18:52, sonicblue wrote:

On 2002-12-10 18:45, RagMasterRappy wrote:

I really doubt it's his hardware. It probably has to do more with his connection and bad luck.

.. I don't know about the connection part, it seems very unlikely. I did hear, however, that some people naturally carry a bad auroa of energy with them that causes electrons to scatter in electronic devices. Maybe that's why my computer likes me so much http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

hucasts_rock
Dec 10, 2002, 11:10 PM
.. I don't know about the connection part, it seems very unlikely. I did hear, however, that some people naturally carry a bad auroa of energy with them that causes electrons to scatter in electronic devices. Maybe that's why my computer likes me so much http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

then my auroa is very bad since I got over 20 FSODs in under 100 hours....the only rare I lost wuz a photon drop though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

pixelate
Dec 10, 2002, 11:37 PM
No FSOD for me. But all the laser movement from loading has taken it's toll. Now and then the GC won't recognize the disk or it will tell me the GC has an error and to check the manual.

Subliminalgroove
Dec 11, 2002, 12:26 AM
WHEW! SCARY! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I hope my chi's in the right place!

Sub

Etrigan
Dec 11, 2002, 12:44 AM
Doesn't really sound like FSOD to me. I've had my cube freeze twice with that same terrifying beep. Once in PSO, but the first in Metroid. I assumed it was overheating, and since it's not specific to PSO it's hardly ST's fault.

RagMasterRappy
Dec 11, 2002, 12:58 AM
On 2002-12-10 21:44, Etrigan wrote:
Doesn't really sound like FSOD to me. I've had my cube freeze twice with that same terrifying beep. Once in PSO, but the first in Metroid. I assumed it was overheating, and since it's not specific to PSO it's hardly ST's fault.

Exactly. Get your systems fixed!! Woo! Go ST!

Deus-Irae
Dec 11, 2002, 04:33 AM
On 2002-12-10 20:37, pixelate wrote:
No FSOD for me. But all the laser movement from loading has taken it's toll. Now and then the GC won't recognize the disk or it will tell me the GC has an error and to check the manual.

RRRAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

i think many of us fried a few DC's over this same issue. this game eats the laser track movement for lunch!:(

you can really hear the laser working overtime with this game.

in response ro RagmasterRappy (love the name:). im not sure if the thing he was talking about above is the same thing as FSOD.

ive played for 6-8 hrs srtaight with no problems, then played for 10 minutes (starting the Cube up fresh) and had an FSOD.

i really believe it has something to do with connections and communication errors. like too much info is being transferred at one time (like flipping thru menues as someone enters a game. this happens to me:( and the Cube just looses its place and freezes!

this has NEVER happened to me offline. this leads me to believe it is NOT a hardware issue.

but my FSOD luck hasnt been so bad so far. *keeping my fingers crossed*

rena-ko
Dec 11, 2002, 06:04 AM
hm... dc was all time busy with the game and yet no problems with me (around 2 years old soon pso alone around 1700 h in total) - just 1 natural and 2 manual FSOD (lobbyfreeze caused by some moron...) so far.
i heard that cute little sound the cube makes when loading - it seems to be not such a big problem, but well...

is the disklayout for ep1&2 also as bad as that for version 2?

well, i asked around and some people say they had problems with their dsl-connection - breaking down completely and requireing a complete restart (PPPoE-issues this is, i have been told...).
hm.

the more i think of it the more i get to the solution that a console that would be able to go online should be designed for that from the scrach: i mean - 5 seconds power-outtake-buffer and autosave and connection-supervision by the console's hardware, not by the game - at least...

CorneliusPower
Dec 11, 2002, 07:59 AM
On 2002-12-10 20:37, pixelate wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me. I have 3 characters, a RAmarl lvl 89 140 hrs., HUmar lvl 111 189 hrs. and a FOnewearl lvl 33 25 hrs. Ive got the error disk message twice on my HUmar, lost only mates and atomizers uneqipped. I checked the disc, it had finger prints, cleaned it, NO PROB after that. So far I experienced 1 FSOD and 2 read disc errors in 300+ hours of PSO on GC. I knew the disc reads had to do with finger prints and the fsod had to do with me leaving a team the same time someone entered. only carry armor, slot items and shield on you, plus the items like mtes and atomizers. Deposit Weapons and ESPECIALLY MAGS in your bank. Otherwise, jsut take care of your Cube, your game disc and have a good Internet connection. Dial-up, come on guys, broadband is only a few bux more. My 2 cents, peace.

Shin_Anubis
Dec 11, 2002, 08:22 AM
I had it happen only once. Everyone in the game experienced the same problem with me. I have broadband as well. This leads me to believe it is some type of server error and not a hardware/software problem. My guess is the server farts every once and a while due to heavy traffic going in/out. Just a theory.

RagMasterRappy
Dec 11, 2002, 09:19 AM
On 2002-12-11 05:22, Shin_Anubis wrote:
I had it happen only once. Everyone in the game experienced the same problem with me. I have broadband as well. This leads me to believe it is some type of server error and not a hardware/software problem. My guess is the server farts every once and a while due to heavy traffic going in/out. Just a theory.

It might just be a problem that's specific to the BBA in which case it IS a hardware problem. I wouldn't be able to confirm this because I'm using a modem.

MilkManX
Dec 11, 2002, 12:56 PM
My Bro gets it and he is on Dial-Up. I think it has to do with the network. He also gets it when he is on Vega. He hasnt gotten one on Antares I think due to the fact that it is less crowded.

RedFox
Dec 11, 2002, 01:40 PM
On 2002-12-10 21:58, RagMasterRappy wrote:

Exactly. Get your systems fixed!! Woo! Go ST!

or get them out of the oven! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

LunarShadowX
Dec 11, 2002, 03:51 PM
IN DC PSOv2, there were several types of SOD's as I recall, there were:

BSOD (Black Screen of Death) - while seemingly non-existant in PSOv2, in the original PSO it was a problem. Due to the fact that it occured around 1000x less frequently in v2 than in v1, and they used the same servers, this meant it was a software problem.

FSOD (Frozen Screen of Death) - This occurs due to both system related and software related problems (at least in DC PSO). This was obvious in the fact that overheating the DC would sometimes cause this to happen.It was software related in the fact that often cheaters would use some codes to cause this to happen, as well as people using the "Grants on Pioneer 2" trick.

ROD (Reset of Death) - One of the more unique problems with the Dreamcast. I'm not certain if it exists for the GC. Anyways, believe it or not, the ROD is actually caused by both the software and the hardware. The hardware upon overheating, and the software with some pretty unique cheat codes in PSO (in v1, the -127 Rabarta was known to cause ROD believe it or not. The person who used the code experienced FSOD, while anyone else in the area tended to be hit with ROD.)

Anyways, I'm done talking.