PDA

View Full Version : Which console would be best to get atm?

Abaddon
Dec 11, 2002, 05:14 AM
Since its xmas time, console prices have dipped ever so slightly, and i would just like to know peoples recommendations (Note: this is NOT a thread designed for mindless console flaming, RECOMMENDATIONS please)

Abaddon
Dec 11, 2002, 05:17 AM
Btw i thought i might write my interests/prerequisites:

*as long as theres a decent range of mature minded games, but i dont mind an All Ages Game (I played Super Smash Brothers on GC and it was a helluiva lot of fun)

*Would be good for party games

*Allow me to get PSO online (but this isnt a high priority) on a dialup connection

*A promising lineup of games that dont cost 1/4 of the bloody console! >_<

LostHero
Dec 11, 2002, 05:30 AM
Personally? PS2.
Why? It has the most games, the most bang for your buck. DVD out of the box, can play both PS1 and PS2 games giving it a library of games past the thousand mark. So many awesome games it puts the GC and XBOX to shame.
On the other hand... if you want halo and splinter cell get XBOX. Its a fine system with a fantastic online plan, but doesn't really hold much content. Alot of its top tier games are ports from PC which did better as PC games.
GC is also a great console, wanna play PSO? Get it. Alot of really top calibur games aswell... even if it is lacking. No dvd, but its for games anyway right? All around a great system however.
I own all three systems and PS2 gets the most play time. PS2 gets the most new games, the most RPGs, the most of all games really. The good thing about a PS2 is that many of its top grade games you can find reasonably priced.

PS2

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto III
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3/4
Devil May Cry
Twisted Metal: Black
Final Fantasy X
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Suikoden III
Virtua Fighter 4
Tekken
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Silent Hill 2
Kingdom Hearts
Onimusha
SSX
Mark of Kri
TimeSplitters 2
ICO
Socom Navy Seals
and many many more...

XBOX

Halo
Splinter Cell
Morrowwin (this is a pc game... not a console game)
Jet Set Radio Future
TimeSplitters 2
SSX
Shenmue 2
Mech Assualt

GC

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Pikmin
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
TimeSplitters 2
Resident Evil
Super Monkey Ball 2
Phantasy Star Online

Nidarrock
Dec 11, 2002, 10:53 AM
While I would like to see more console competition I would agree that a PS2 is probably your best choice. The number a games available is unbeatable. XBox is good if you like the games that are exclusive to it(as mentioned before): Halo, Jet Grind Radio, Morrowind, ect. Also if you appreciate all the games, either officially supported or not, in Dolby 5.1 Surround. I do! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif GC is a great choice if you like Nintendo's characters: Mario, Link, Samus, plus (if you like them) two great Star Wars games: Rouge Leader & The Clone Wars. Resident Evil & PSO isn't half bad neither. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Check out the games you're interested in most on each system and then make your desicion. If you have the money get all three. I think all three systems are great in their own way.

neko-chan
Dec 11, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admit it, you can't live wihtout PSO, right? Uh? No... that is me... I CAN'T LIVE WIHTOUT PSO >_>

Well... in the past few months I bought many games for PS2, GameCube and GBA (I don't own a Xbox but planning to get one when DOA Xtreme Volleyball will be released).

I spent a lot of money for nice games but, after SnAPPLE sent me my copy of GCN PSO I realized PSO is the one game I really enjoy playing. I even quit playing GTA VC and Yoshi's Island.

I have not bought Metroid, RE 0 and Kingdom Hearts. I don't want to waste money. I'll get Zelda for GameCube just becase I was able to pre order the Limited Edition.

So, my suggestion is: if you enjoyed PSO get an import GameCube and a copy of US PSO. This is the only game you need and the only that will keep you busy for months. PSO worths the troubles of importing and everything else. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-11 09:35 ]</font>

BlackRose
Dec 11, 2002, 12:08 PM
Well, I'll clarify what Losthero said: Gamecube is the only system that would give you dialup PSO, so they've got you cornered there.

My opinion would be to get a PS2... for the plain and simple variety of apps for it. But also, it's a unique system in that it is not a PC by any means. Xbox basically turns your TV into a computer, and Gamecube does as well (albeit to a lesser extent). I think that if you want an Xbox or Gamecube, you could just buy a good PC and get both. But the PS2's unique code structure and game designs separate it from the rest.

IMO it's also the slickest looking console ever when you stand it on it's side.

neko-chan
Dec 11, 2002, 12:34 PM
On 2002-12-11 09:08, BlackRose wrote:
Gamecube does as well (albeit to a lesser extent). I think that if you want an Xbox or Gamecube

Is yours a sarcastic post, isn't it? Because I don't get it. How can you compare a GameCube to a PC? Please explain. >_>

you could just buy a good PC

Yep, and then you can enjoy playing Zelda and Mario. >_>

But the PS2's unique code structure and game designs separate it from the rest.

Yep. Half of PS2 games are multi platform titles. Go figure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-11 09:38 ]</font>

Ayame
Dec 11, 2002, 01:23 PM
Get a GameBoy Advance! It's small, portable, affordable and fun! It's got a great number of games, as well as a great line-up of games. Besides, who wants all this 3D online junk? 2D is the way to go!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

*crickets*

...okay, but if you're looking for a new console to get, I'd have to recommend a...PS2.

<.<

>.>

Although, personally I hate Sony and their plans with the PS2, it is, hands down, the most supported system out there, and support = software. >.< However...! I recommend a universal PS2 or a Japanese PS2, though. ;p 75% of all the best games for PS2 never come to the US or EU, and never will. But...if you're not into importing and stuff...you can just get a domestic PS2. But hey, you'll be missing out though. ;p

Hehehe, in any case. My 2 cents.

<-- (Loves her XBOX more than anything) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

BlackRose
Dec 11, 2002, 02:30 PM
Neko, it's an opinion. It's what I see in the systems, and it's what I conclude when I compare the systems in my head. I see more variety in PS2, I see uniqueness in PS2. I said nothing about being factual or right, but Abaddon asked for recommendations. If I simply stated fact, then I wouldn't be recommending anything. Take it worth a grain of salt.

CajunSamurai
Dec 12, 2002, 03:14 AM
Although, personally I hate Sony and their plans with the PS2, it is, hands down, the most supported system out thereExactly! I've been anti-Sony ever since they dubbed 2D games and RPGs in the early days of the PSX as evil, heretic witchcraft scum (although those bastards still won't admit it), and still to this day think that they're the most of arrogant, pompous sons of bitches around. Microsoft seems humble in their presense, SERIOUSLY.

Umm, anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif It reeeeally depends... I own all 3 and love 'em all for different reasons, most of which have been posted above.

I'd say... probably go with PS2. Like everyone said, it had a great collection of games, just as the PSX did. Just try to ignore the fact that it's technologically inferior to the other two systems in about every way imaginable. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif (Man, I'm stickin' my neck out) Well, it's the only system of the 3 that had a built in Optical Digital Out (GCN doesn't have it at all and Xbox requires the purchase of the Advanced AV Pack for 5.1 surround), and the only of the 3 that plays DVDs right outta the box (GCN = no DVD playback and Xbox = plays DVDs with purchase of the DVD kit). Otherwise... I TOLD them that they'd need more video RAM for today's complex textures, but apparently they enjoy their games to look like Playdoh.
AND, PSO has been rumored for PS2 for EVER now... If it actually does come out, it will be broadband and dialup compatible, I'd wager.

GCN is getting more and more great games all the time, as well as both mature and "Everyone" games. And yeah, far as dialup PSO goes, this is really your only option at the moment. Pretty sure I heard that you now get a $25 rebate on GCNs, but it might be temporary.

The there's Xbox which comes with Jet Set Radio Future, my personal pick for game of the year, and SegaGT 2002 which is great if you like Gran Turismo style racing games. Two pack in games is a daaaamn good deal, IMO!
I personally love my Xbox. It's really a behemoth of a console, with the best graphics and sound available on consoles today. As was mentioned above, the Xbox is the only console of the 3 that supports realtime 5.1 Dolby Digital. PS2 only supports them during DVD cutscenes such as those in FFX, although both it and the GCN heavily support Dolby Pro Logic (and DTS in some PS2 games). If sound is a major thing of importance to you (like it is to me), the Xbox simplu CANNOT be beat. Oh yeah, it has a nice selection of games as well, although probably the smallest of the 3. Pretty much all the Sega games on it flatout ROCK though, which is reason alone to own one, IMHO. Cajun = Cannot wait for Panzer Dragoon Orta! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It's pretty difficult to recommend just one of the three, but with its huge range of games, the PS2 is my recommendation.

LostHero
Dec 12, 2002, 03:45 AM
Technically PS2 is suppose to be able to push out polygons and particles that would make xbox blush... however, PS2's dev kit is incredibly complicated and anti user friendly. Whereas Xbos's dev kit is incredibly easy and was reason for alot of its early support.

Someone please explain how GC is like a PC?

Ayame is right, GBA is L337!

Sunaj
Dec 12, 2002, 05:10 AM
On 2002-12-11 02:17, Abaddon wrote:

*as long as theres a decent range of mature minded games, but i dont mind an All Ages Game (I played Super Smash Brothers on GC and it was a helluiva lot of fun)

*Allow me to get PSO online (but this isnt a high priority) on a dialup connection

Well, I'll answer your stuff directly.

The console with the most support is the one with the most mature minded games, so PS2 wins here. With the X Box, there's prolly more mature games than "younger" games. GC is the opposite, but it's not even near the "kiddie console" image it's been sadled with. Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, the RE games, forthcoming Capcom games, and a few more...but it is slanted a bit more towards an "all ages" crowd.

The best "party game" system would prolly be the GC, barely. There's three major party games for it now,(Mario Party 4, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Super Smash Brother's Melee)with some supporting 2 player and more will be forthcoming. The X-box is next, and has an interesting advantage in that it can be linked, so if you get 4 Xboxes and TVS together, you can play Halo each on your own full screen. The main party games are Halo, DOA3, and Hunter: Reckoning, with many other supporting 2 players. The PS2 is somewhat limited in it's ability to support more than 2 players, since that requires an add-on, and most developers don't support it for that very reason. There's many two player games however, and many more if you include the old PSX games.

The only system that has, and will allow you to get online with the new PSO on a dial up connection is the GC. X-Box Live will be BB only, period. There is a VERY faint chance it will come to the PS2, but dont bet on it since Naka himself commented on how he didn't like the PS2 for developers. More importnatly though, It would compete with FFXI and the PS2 version of Everquest, so it may not release simply to not get lost in the market.

As for the line up...only you can really answer this properly. Are certain franchises more important to you than others? Can't live without PSO? Get a GC. LOVED GTA3? PS2. Liked Jet Set Radio, or the Panzer Dragoon series? Get a X-box. Not trying to weasel outta the question, but only you (and maybe you looking at a release list...) can answer this for sure. PSO almost sold me on a GC alone(what with over 1000 hours on the DC version...) but I always look forward to the next Zelda, or Mario, or Metriod or whatever. PS2 is gonna be home to a lot of games period, and a few franchises such as FF, GT, GTA, Tekken, etc.

Sorry if that isnt of too much help, but I'd go with a PS2 for the sheer variety of games, or a GC if you really want some PSO gaming.

LostHero
Dec 12, 2002, 05:14 AM
We all seem to have come to a consensus: Can't go wrong with a PS2, but its up to you.

Mazarin
Dec 12, 2002, 05:36 AM
On 2002-12-12 02:14, LostHero wrote:
We all seem to have come to a consensus: Can't go wrong with a PS2, but its up to you.

Oh yeah, you can. But what do I know?

Sedyne
Dec 14, 2002, 10:13 AM
1. What type of gamer are you?
2. Do you prefer action,shooting,rpg,just plain fun adventure games?
3.Do you have cable internet?
4. Overall System for good play in every catergory?

-1) If you play arn't an avid gamer, i would seriously suggest the Xbox. Why? They put out alot of high quality games that you don't have to spend hoards of huors of playing but you still get a great amount of enjoyment out of it.

-1b) If you are an avid gamer then that' where i'd break you'd start back from ground zero again because all 3 systems have something great to offer.

-2)If you prefer action games, I'd definitly suggest PS2 or Xbox, because in my opinion GameCube doesn't come close to offering anything so intense in that catergory
Example:
PS2: Devil May Cry 1&2, Max Payne, Shinobi, Onimusha Warlords 1&2, Dead to Rights (Incredible Game).

Xbox: Counter-Strike, Halo 1&2, Ninja Gaiden, dead To Rights (much better on xbox), Splinter Cell (also coming to ps2 mid 2003), MGS: Substance

GameCube: I'm sorry but not a single god damned action game on this system has proven me any fun, nor a good story line at all. With the exception of Eternal Darkness which's gameplay makes me want to shoot myself if people think this is good =x

-2c)If you prefer RPG's well i'd say that's a tie between all 3 systems, because they all have some great games to offer in that area

Ex: GC: FF:CC,SOA, not sure of anything else,
PS2:FF Series, Xenosaga series, and countless
other great RPG's even playable from the old ps system.
Xbox: Crimson Sea(Honestly, i believe this game if it lives up to what it looks like and from waht i've heard and played the demo of, will be the best frickn game ever) I'll be getting it in two days so i'll let ya know. Also Xbox has Marrowind, thats all i can think of for them but Xbox's lineup is definitly going to kick ass this year, and i believe it'll make ps2 look like crap (and i'm an avid ps2 fan) i hate to say microcrap put out my (possibly) new favorite ssytem. oh and xbox will be getting pso

-2d) If you like shooting games...definitly xbox no question about it. HALO,Counter-Strike, TomClacny games...can't beat that. (except for Gamecubes Perfect Dark 2)

-3) If your planning on taking a console online and you have cable internet...my overall suggestion is Xbox, why? My thoughts so far:

Ps2 Online Games: ALL SUCK (SOCOM is so much better offline,TMB blows in general, and FFXI looks nothing special to me but i'l be getting it cuz im a sucker for FF)

GC Online: So far, just pso that's worth getting which will be on Xcrap. Nintedno i believe is a ebtter chioce for online gaming over the ps2 though.

Xbox: Come on look at these games coming out for Xbox Live:

Counter Strike..don't even give me crap about it being on the PC because the PC version is hacked to crap, the graphics will eb much better on the xbox too.

Halo 2

It's getting a few mmorpg's in devlopment can't think of names as of yet

another plus+ is it will be on bba only so in general the connections should be SLIGHTLY better betweenn the users.

-4)Xbox, GameCube and PS2 have their faults, Xbox as well does too but from line-ups of games they are gettign this year i think shuold damn well amke up for the shitty games put out last year.

dude3282
Dec 14, 2002, 10:34 AM
My personal opinion: it's all about the games. I like Nintendo games best, so I have a GBA and a Gamecube. If you like the Xbox exclusives, get one of those. There are tons of PS2 games, but they are missing the big PSO. Only the Cube has a dial-up PSO, as many people have pointed out. Keep in mind, that the 'Cube has plenty of "okay" games, like Beach Spikers, Super Monkey Ball, Mortal Kombat, Starfox adventures, etc. as well as the Metroids and Marios and Eternal Darkness RE's. And they're not all kiddie games, either. Anyone who uses that argument on you should be ignored.

Dabra
Dec 14, 2002, 10:35 AM
On 2002-12-11 02:17, Abaddon wrote:

Seriously, i don't know what the hell you want. Your basicly hinting NOT to get a gamecube, then a gamecube (2nd statement), after that a gamecube again, then not an xbox.

Sure Gamecube is getting some mature games sometime next year, but why mention that you want a decent lineup of mature games on a console? Every casual gamer knows that PS2 and Xbox offer the hugest diversity in games, and that gamecube is slightly, if not almost entirely on the "everyone" genre. So gamecube is off the list for that first prerequisite.

Second. Party games huh. Well you said yourself you loved SSBM so go for what you love/like. But if we have to take the first statement into account, I would say PS2. It has Twisted metal black (which is also a mature game hehe), and an upcoming war of the monsters, which is the awesomest, greatest party game i have every played (demo on the new OPM, check it out if you get a ps2). And well Xbox, i can't think of any game that doesn't require you 4 xbox's, and 4 TV's.

Third. Pso. High priority maybe not but you wouldn't mention it if it wasn't really. Then i guess your stuck with gamecube on this one.

Leaning far from xbox i see (cough, steel battalion, cough). I guess that leaves you with erm...the PS2 and a gamecube. Once again, gamecube is weak on mature games, compared to the ps2. But i'll tell you one thing, capcom is bringing 5 mature games next year. But ps2 has one coming out every month http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ah well you would have to decide. PS2 would be your wisest choice if you want my opinion. I have a gamecube and a PS2 so i don't have anything to worry about http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Abaddon
Dec 14, 2002, 06:33 PM
Thankyou for everyones input. My brother owns a PS2 and he enjoys it a lot, though the 2-controller port limitation does make party games a bit weak. :S

While SSBM might have been fun when i played it, i will seldom have four people over a lot to enjoy the game, so it will only be fun in a pinch.

I might leave the console purchase to a later date, where it may drop further. atm im thinking of getting a samurai sword set instead O_o

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BlackRose
Dec 15, 2002, 10:45 PM
On 2002-12-14 15:33, Abaddon wrote:

I might leave the console purchase to a later date, where it may drop further. atm im thinking of getting a samurai sword set instead O_o

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I dunno, check on Ebay.... i'll bet you could find a PS2 + Daisho bundle...

XD

Abaddon
Dec 17, 2002, 07:42 AM
LOL i wish

nah the one im looking at is a katana, wakazashi and tanto and triple sword stand for $350 AUS marked from $450 AUS
live blades too and no permit required http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
*drools*

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Dec 17, 2002, 02:19 PM
You obviously want a Dreamcast.