PDA

View Full Version : 81%, lawlz BET.

DonRoyale
Apr 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
OK, so this is kind of a hot topic I guess. Lil' Wayne has been going around saying he's the best rapper alive (For a while now. It's only recently most have took notice), and I want PSOW's opinion.

But of course, true to nature, ME FIRST:

You have to look at a lot of things. First of all, Jay is 37, and Wayne is 24. Strictly because of time, Wayne has the upper hand.

Now, if we were looking at this from a different standpoint, such as business, there's no doubt in anyone's mind, even Wayne's, that Jay would blow Wayne out of the water. Jay-Z runs the most powerful record label out there today, bar none (Interscope is too spread out if you ask me). Wayne runs a label that was powerful before he became CEO.

Now, the next thing I look at is flow. Jay has versatility and power here, but Wayne has range. Coupled with my next topic is why I think Wayne wins.

Lyrics. It really depends on what you listen to, but for me, this goes to Wayne again. Jay can uplift his people better and is more an MC than Wayne is, and can tell a better story, but Wayne, despite the fact that he can't tell a story, and mostly raps, still wins. If you can use the most abstract terms, rhyme them together, and make them make sense, you automatically win.

Ironically, I do like Jay's music better. The Black Album was a masterpiece.

You also have to take in another factor, and that's timing. Jay-Z's Kingdom Come wasn't his best work at all, and Wayne's already blowing up, and he hasn't even released a single from any upcoming albums (note I said upcoming). Plus, if The Carter 3 comes out fast enough, that'll be three albums over the span of twelve months, not to mention collaborations with other artists.

But if you ask me, this is strictly a street thing. Neither have pointed fingers directly at one another, so until that happens, I don't think it'll be considered beef yet.

So, what does PSOW think? Who's the better rapper? Jay-Z or Lil' Wayne?

Omega_Weltall
Apr 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
I'd have to say Jay Z. at least he talks about something. Only thing that little bastard Lil' Wayne dose is perpetuate stereotypes and acts like he's "ganstah" and shit but he isn't. That mother fucker lives in the good neighbor hoods, not the fucking ghetto like he says in his songs, and selling out his culture for a buck . Then again thats almost every rapper today. Well anyway I stopped listening to hiphop when they became car and jewelry commercials... THE WHOLE THUG MENTALITY IS A MARKETING PLOY! The real "Pimps" who are tricking out these rappers are Viacom, Time Warner AOL, Disney (yes Disney), Rupert Murdock, and others I cant remember.

Weeaboolits
Apr 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
I hate ganster rap, which, unfortunately, constitutes pretty much all of it these days... -_-'

I stopped listening to the radio some time ago...

Syl
Apr 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
I lol @ rap =/

DizzyDi
Apr 27, 2007, 10:12 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:00, Omega_Weltall wrote:
Well anyway I stopped listening to hiphop when they became car and jewelry commercials... THE WHOLE THUG MENTALITY IS A MARKETING PLOY! The real "Pimps" who are tricking out these rappers are Viacom, Time Warner AOL, Disney (yes Disney), Rupert Murdock, and others I cant remember.

Right on.

Wayne definitely isn't the best alive. He's only been hot for two albums long. Before he dropped the Carter, he was a star sure, but not nearly as big as a celebrity as he is now.
Don't get me wrong, he's good and all and his freestyles are nice but he's going to have to do a lot more to even be considered best alive.

To me, right now, the best ALIVE who has all aspects of MCing covered: Eminem. He can do it all; Rap, produce, freestlye, he's crazy with it.
I would say Nas, but I've never heard a Nas freestlye before so I can't say.

DizzyDi
Apr 27, 2007, 10:16 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:09, WatchThemFeed wrote:
I lol @ rap =/

"O hay look. A topic made for fans of rap. Let me stick my head in and post an off-topic comment on how I hate rap, even though the OP asks not for my opinion on it."

ShadowDragon28
Apr 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
If there was a rapper that dressed in black New-Romantic/Victorian gothic clothing and rapped new-romantic and eerie poems about macabe gothic romances, supernatural things, the undead or slaying zombies I'd really dig it.

Not really a fan of rap or hip hop, but I do think some of Eminem's stuff is good.

UnderscoreX
Apr 27, 2007, 10:31 PM
Was there a reason you picked Jay-Z, was there a BET thing about those two or something, cause I mean Hov's great and all but I wouldn't even put him in my top 5 of all time. I'm kinda bias though, because I say Nas is the greatest alive and has been for some time. I put Lil wayne in the same boat as Fifty, he was hot before he went mainstream, but his freestyles are still fire. And what happened to Detox having a release date, heard it was late September, now they're saying "this year". GIMME MY ALBUM damnit.

DizzyDi
Apr 27, 2007, 10:43 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:31, UnderscoreX wrote:
Was there a reason you picked Jay-Z, was there a BET thing about those two or something, cause I mean Hov's great and all but I wouldn't even put him in my top 5 of all time. I'm kinda bias though, because I say Nas is the greatest alive and has been for some time. I put Lil wayne in the same boat as Fifty, he was hot before he went mainstream, but his freestyles are still fire. And what happened to Detox having a release date, heard it was late September, now they're saying "this year". GIMME MY ALBUM damnit.

People widely regard Jay as the god MC. I don't see it myself either, he's straight but there are a lot of cats that could murder him.
I think both Wayne and Fifty are hot still, they're just over exposing themselves and I'm getting tired of hearing both of them.
Wayne puts out like over 9000 mixtapes a week, and 50 is just everywhere.

We still have a good bit of time left in the year for Dre to drop Detox, I hope he releases it this summer but I doubt it seeing as how he hasn't even dropped a single yet.

DonRoyale
Apr 27, 2007, 11:10 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:43, DizzyDi wrote:
We still have a good bit of time left in the year for Dre to drop Detox, I hope he releases it this summer but I doubt it seeing as how he hasn't even dropped a single yet.

I'd say give it until the end of May for a single drop if it's gonna be a July release.

EDIT: By the way, I forgot to add:

This is a rapper thing. MC'ing doesn't count, because we know MC'ing >>> Rap http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DonRoyale on 2007-04-27 21:11 ]</font>

Kent
Apr 28, 2007, 10:44 AM
Needs more Hammer, less suck.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5638/hammertimedu0.gif

Parn
Apr 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
Out of all the rap music out there, I still think nothing's ever topped this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W9kcxdPPjk). Year after year, rappers come and go, but this is still a great song to blast in your car in the summer.

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
id have to say will smith or eminem... they've actually been recognized as being the best by their peers at points in their careers where as neither jay-z nor lil wayne has...and lil wayne is definately a noone as he's known by virtually noone.

DizzyDi
Apr 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know what rap circles you travel in Durakken but Lil Wayne is far from a no one, and Jay-Z has been recognized by many to be the best, even Nas has given him props.
Now I don't agree with that but...the Rap world says the Jay-Z is one of the best, I dunno where you get your info from.

Midicronica
Apr 30, 2007, 12:48 PM
I've never really liked Lil Wayne's stuff, even when he was running with Cash Money (Juvenile, Mannie Fresh, BG, etc) back in the day. So, I'll have to go with Jay-Z the true legend, the Godfather of Rap, and even though you might not like me, (being from 360) we can both agree that the Black Album was, indeed, a masterpiece.

Parn: It's been so long since I heard that song. XD Thanks for posting that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Moses on 2007-04-30 10:48 ]</font>

Dkzero23
Apr 30, 2007, 05:39 PM
Glam rap sucks and I've never heard of "Lil' Wayne" (lawl). Doesn't every rapper go around saying thier the best anyway? I vote De La Sol or N.W.A.

TeKneeK
Apr 30, 2007, 05:52 PM
It honestly depends on where you live. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne are both very well known here down south. Will Smith and Eminem on the other hand.....just lol.

Around here you see kids (including myself http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) driving around with several-hundred dollar systems and what not, so we tend to play what "sounds" better. As BA as all the old school rap is, it isn't something you would blast in your car.

Magno, UGK, Paul Wall, Fat Pat, Slim Thug, Chrome, Chalie Boy, Lil Boosie, the list goes on.

Syl
Apr 30, 2007, 06:12 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:16, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2007-04-27 20:09, WatchThemFeed wrote:
I lol @ rap =/

"O hay look. A topic made for fans of rap. Let me stick my head in and post an off-topic comment on how I hate rap, even though the OP asks not for my opinion on it."

And right there buddy you are quite wrong (where did I state that I hate it?). I do indulge in rap from time to time. Just that the current trend that rappers are taking makes me lol. Seriously, rappers need to step up their game (unless rap=singing about being rich yet from the ghetto, sex, cars, jewelry, or everything else that is sang over and over, even in the same context =/), unless the lack of creativity is what they are shooting for.

I guess I'm more into the older stuff (such as Cypress Hill, Jay Z [havent listened to any of his recent stuff], Eminem, etc.), but the stuff put on the radio most of the time is made of fail for me.

I've heard some of Lil Wayne's stuff, but it just didn't catch my attention at all =/

But even so if it was between J and W, I'd pick Jay Z. Of course, even though I somewhat distaste most rap, but Eminem would have my vote. That guy can sure do his job >.>

DizzyDi
Apr 30, 2007, 06:46 PM
On 2007-04-30 16:12, WatchThemFeed wrote:

And right there buddy you are quite wrong (where did I state that I hate it?). I do indulge in rap from time to time. Just that the current trend that rappers are taking makes me lol. Seriously, rappers need to step up their game (unless rap=singing about being rich yet from the ghetto, sex, cars, jewelry, or everything else that is sang over and over, even in the same context =/), unless the lack of creativity is what they are shooting for.

I guess I'm more into the older stuff (such as Cypress Hill, Jay Z [havent listened to any of his recent stuff], Eminem, etc.), but the stuff put on the radio most of the time is made of fail for me.

I've heard some of Lil Wayne's stuff, but it just didn't catch my attention at all =/

But even so if it was between J and W, I'd pick Jay Z. Of course, even though I somewhat distaste most rap, but Eminem would have my vote. That guy can sure do his job >.>

My bad then.
But yeah, Wayne can't hold a torch to Jay. He has a lot more hurdles he needs to jump before he can even begin to call himself a legend like Jay.

Midicronica
Apr 30, 2007, 07:34 PM
On 2007-04-30 15:39, Dkzero23 wrote:
Glam rap sucks and I've never heard of "Lil' Wayne" (lawl). Doesn't every rapper go around saying thier the best anyway? I vote De La Sol or N.W.A.

I just went along with the topic. If I had a choice, I'd go for the guys like Camp Lo, Mos Def, The Roots, De La Soul, Talib Kwali, Stones Throw, Oh-No....The list could go on all day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Moses on 2007-04-30 17:37 ]</font>

Tykwa
Apr 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
Rap sucks/ non-voter

DizzyDi
Apr 30, 2007, 07:38 PM
On 2007-04-27 20:16, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2007-04-30 17:37, Tykwa wrote:
Rap sucks/ non-voter

DurakkenX
Apr 30, 2007, 07:39 PM
most rap sucks...but so does most metal and most pop and most R&B and most life events >.>

Midicronica
Apr 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-04-30 17:39, DurakkenX wrote:
most rap sucks...but so does most metal and most pop and most R&B and most life events >.>

You named most major music genres, so I have one question...

What do you like?

DurakkenX
Apr 30, 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't like genres I like things that are good

PJ
Apr 30, 2007, 08:52 PM
On 2007-04-30 18:45, DurakkenX wrote:
I don't like genres I like things that are goodobscure and not mainstream, as mainstream = bad

Jehosaphaty
Apr 30, 2007, 09:03 PM
I don't like genres I like things that are goodobscure and not mainstream, as mainstream = bad

Unfortunately, a large portion of the douche bags previously associated with mainstream crap have flooded the "non-mainstream scene" in an attempt to look "relevant" and "socially cool". So either way everybody's fucked.

DurakkenX
Apr 30, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'd appreciate if you don't add words to my statement. I don't even say a singer/rapper is good, but rather than the song is good.

I've been known to listen to...
All-4-One
Boyz II men
eminem
ICP
Sean Paul
Britney Spears
Donny Osmond
Elvis
John Lennon
Temptations
Avril Livigne
Slip Knot
Metallica
Madonna
Elton John
Will Smith
Bone thugs n harmony
Marriah

That's all I can remember right now...I'm not good with names of irrelevant people, but I listen to just about everything and I ignore genre.

Dangerous55
Apr 30, 2007, 11:20 PM
Best rapper, Bob Dylan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=srgi2DkDbPU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=doNU1EndU8I

Solstis
Apr 30, 2007, 11:30 PM
Referencing Bob Dylan is cheating. :<

Dangerous55
Apr 30, 2007, 11:36 PM
On 2007-04-30 21:30, Solstis wrote:
Referencing Bob Dylan is cheating. :<