PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I didn't know so many people was down on this game...

pionear
Apr 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169787.html

These were the comments posted about the announcement of AoI. They were about 85% negative about PSU.

Sayara
Apr 27, 2007, 10:23 PM
No no, wait you actually thought people whould give positive feedback to a Sega game?

Is this 1990s all over again?

Sinue_v2
Apr 27, 2007, 11:10 PM
Well it would help if Sega would produce more than one game a year that doesn't suck complete ass.

Pro Tip: PSU wasn't it last year.

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'd go down on PSU.

TorterraEndor
Apr 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
As long as you're having fun, why care?

Dahilia
Apr 29, 2007, 01:20 AM
On 2007-04-27 21:22, Sychosis wrote:
I'd go down on PSU.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 29, 2007, 11:47 AM
PSU vs PSO

it's a lot harder, and more of a time sink, and loses some of the simplicity in favor of wider range of abilites.

I do miss a few things, like the ability to customize you character with materials and Mag for 1...(armors with multiple resists, for another)

Then again, I quite like te job system not locking you in.

pionear
Apr 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
On 2007-04-28 08:21, TorterraEndor wrote:
As long as you're having fun, why care?

I am having fun, I was just pointing out this backlash. I just wasn't aware of all the negative feelings about this game.

Banish
Apr 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
Someone wrote that SEGA sucks when it comes to online games...right after talking about bringing out Phantasy Star Collection! What a hypocrite!

Dkzero23
May 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
On 2007-04-30 17:40, Fujita wrote:
Someone wrote that SEGA sucks when it comes to online games...right after talking about bringing out Phantasy Star Collection! What a hypocrite!

Since when is Phantasy Star collection an online game?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926988.asp?q=phantasy%20star%20universe

Mystil
May 3, 2007, 06:26 PM
I blame it all on PSO's past. It has had huge impact on people's view on ST's ability to handle online games. I'm not surprized by the negative feedback.

Soukosa
May 3, 2007, 08:03 PM
One of the most intelligent comments made on that page:

The people complaining about PSU not being as good as PSO need to come to terms that this game isn't your precious PSO 2. There never will be a PSO 2, and PSO wasn't that great of a game to begin with.

Phantasy Star Universe is it's own game in the Phantasy Star game series. It's not Phantasy Star V, it's not PSO 2, it's Phantasy Star Universe. And that's all it ever will be.

Yes, this is not PSO. It's not the broken badly imbalanced PSO. Stat materials broke the game. Mags broke the game. Rangers were over powered. Get over it.

Anyone who says this game is one big grind fest must never have played a korean MMO like RO. If you haven't, go do so and not on some private server with 50x exp for the people that can't handle the grind of the real game.

Then people go on about the lack of quests... Oh, maybe if you got your ass outside of Parum you'd see there's alot more to this game. Don't compare it to something like WoW where most of the quests are just simple get such and such items that have no relation to each other and give them to some random NPC.

Then the lack of updates. How is there a lack of updates? RO was updated maybe every 3 months or so and that's quite fast for an MMO.

What's wrong with the class system? Too simple? Well at least it doesn't screw over game balance. Look at any game with an expansive class system and you'll probably see something with a lot more imbalances than PSU.

Seems to me that the people that whine about PSU are those that are either stuck on the brokenness of PSO or expect there to be a ton of pointless crap in the game that most MMOs have. If you have to whine this much then surely you aren't enjoying the game. But if you're sitting here whining about it on some random site, then maybe that other game that you think is better than PSU isn't so great after all, since you aren't over there playing it in all of its wonderful glory.

Neith
May 6, 2007, 07:26 PM
Even with all it's content released (and I'm talking everything- weapons, areas, the lot) PSU is still a very small game compared to..just about every other MMO/MMORPG.

You can't solo for shit unless you wanna take hours, anything vaguely valuable (hell, even some crappy drops) are stupidly rare, the level cap is a pain and most people are already there. I'm to the point of not playing my fF, JUST so I don't hit the cap, because I know if I do I'll be bored.

There's very little to hunt unless you're a Fighgunner, Rangers have a massive soloing advantage over every other class, and are still somewhat broken, especially considering how easy terrain is to exploit.

The AI isn't improved over the 'rawr mob rush' style of PSO, mobs are still stupid as hell and can be easily manipulated.

Even on the May 11th update, we only get a handful of new stuff, which should have been released a lot earlier. The game is nowhere near as populated as it once was, and this drip-feeding method is making less people come back compared to the amount leaving.

I'm gonna see what the May 11th update is like, and probably make a show for Operation Firebreak, but over the last few weeks I've lost interest in PSU, and will probably quit after Firebreak.

I think a lot of the Gamespot negativity comes from the fact that 1) it's a Sega game 2) it's inevitably gonna be compared to WoW etc in terms of content (don't get me wrong, I think most MMO's/RPG's suck ass lately)

I may come back for AoI (assuming I quit after Firebreak), but even the expansion's doing little to interest me now, having looked over it again..

Point is, nearly every other online game is released with a good deal of content initially available. PSU wasn't- less than half of the game was released on October 24th, and since then, the update schedule has been scrappy at best, with gaps after every few updates, and some updates with miniscule amounts of content.

PSO may have been broken, but after a few years of playing, it's still enjoyable. PSU is becoming incredibly boring, incredibly fast.

For the record too, I'm not really playing any online games lately, PSU may suck pretty hard at times, but it's still better than the latest elf/orc epic by [insert overglorified games developer].

I hope it improves, as it has the potential to be a very good game, it's just been executed terribly.

Meh, I needed to rant somewhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2007-05-06 18:05 ]</font>

DikkyRay
May 6, 2007, 07:29 PM
PSO vs PSU
Its like
Super Mario RPG vs Paper Mario
Two Similar Games, NOT THE SAME FUCKING GAME

Palefire
May 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-04-27 21:22, Sychosis wrote:
I'd go down on PSU.

In a theatre? *ducks*

Palefire
May 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
On 2007-05-03 18:03, Sounomi wrote:
Anyone who says this game is one big grind fest must never have played a korean MMO like RO. If you haven't, go do so and not on some private server with 50x exp for the people that can't handle the grind of the real game.

Ah yes...the grind of RO. Taking time-sink to soaring new heights with every stupid little task. And rares (and the cards for compounding on equipment) aren't simply nice additions to have as they are on PSU: they're necessary.

Then the lack of updates. How is there a lack of updates? RO was updated maybe every 3 months or so and that's quite fast for an MMO.

Hell, I remember the "good old days" when iRO was an entire year behind the Korean version. And that's only if Gravity decided that the content upgrades were unavoidable. They never added anything to iRO if they could help it.

Then people go on about the lack of quests... Oh, maybe if you got your ass outside of Parum you'd see there's alot more to this game. Don't compare it to something like WoW where most of the quests are just simple get such and such items that have no relation to each other and give them to some random NPC.

The only other game I've seen that had real quests (and not just glorified scavenger hunts) with real objectives was City of Heroes. Those were full of win and awesome: prevent the Vahzilok from poisoning the city's water supply!

That's another reason I really enjoy PSU: I feel like my character's actually doing something important. I'm sure most people don't care about this, but it's a nice touch that you just don't see all that often.

Seems to me that the people that whine about PSU are those that are either stuck on the brokenness of PSO or expect there to be a ton of pointless crap in the game that most MMOs have.

Gamers have gotten spoiled by EverQuest, which started out with a massive amount of content. What they forget was that EQ was out for several years before its Big Start, and that when it really was new, had next to nothing for content.

The aforementioned City of Heroes was in the same boat back in 2002 that PSU is in now: people expecting a game with all the content of being around for 4+ years immediately. And people whined then about the "lack of content". But look at the game now: it would take you at least half a year to go through everything the game has to offer. And I'm sure PSU will be in the same position several years from now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-05-06 18:10 ]</font>

Mystil
May 6, 2007, 08:32 PM

Or just be around lvl 188 or so in PSO XD.