PDA

View Full Version : Diction (1000 meseta on the line!)

McLaughlin
Apr 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
SolomonGrundy thinks it's size of vocabulary. I think it's choice of words.

Definition: style of speaking or writing as dependent upon choice of words.

So, am I right?

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 05:37 PM
Vocabulary usually effects the choice of words... Also who you're speaking with effects which is better.

If I say something you can't understand it doesn't matter the flow of words I use as it is going to make no sense any way I say it unless I change the vocabulary.

Both are important and both effect the other, but choice of words is more idolized as shown through poetry and rapping.

Weeaboolits
Apr 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
It's both, as you can't very well use words you don't know, and you only use the ones you like saying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Eihwaz
Apr 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
You're closer to the definition. I'd say you win.

Solstis
Apr 28, 2007, 08:07 PM
According to my widget, you are correct.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
Diction is the measure of the quality of your words, both written and spoken. Vocabulary is a factor in it, but selection from vocabulary is perhaps more important; though to say that, I believe is bad diction. That's like saying that choosing grapes to make your wine is a superior choice to choosing lemons, when the margin for precision can be better related to choosing wine grapes to make your wine as opposed to table grapes.

If I were to describe a large, encompassing fire as "a fire", then that might get the basic point across, but it fails to convey as much information as, "a conflagration". These are differences between synonyms-- they both refer to a burning, hot glow, but "fire" more specifically describes anything producing light by virtue of its heat (not necessarily a flame), while the other refers to a wild, destructive fire of mammoth proportions.

So, you are undeniably the most correct party in this disagreement, but your definition, rather ironically, doesn't completely encompass the scope of the word it defines.

Kent
Apr 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
Noun
vocabulary (plural: vocabularies)

1. A collection of words alphabetized; a dictionary.
2. The collection of words one knows and uses.

Noun
diction (uncountable)

1. The effectiveness and degree of clarity of word choice and presentation.

That should be more than enough information for the judgment to pass. However, just for a combination of clarity and humor:

Noun
dictionary (plural dictionaries)

1. A publication, usually in the form of a book, which gives an ordered list (normally alphabetically) of words, normally explaining their meaning and sometimes containing information on etymology, usage, translations and other items related to the word. Some dictionaries list the words of more than one language and/or give translations in more than one language.

Thrash777
Apr 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think you mean Dictation...?

darthsaber9x9
Apr 29, 2007, 07:51 AM
No. Go and look it up in the aforementioned dictionary.

Kent
Apr 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
...Or just read my post.