PDA

View Full Version : Game Consoles

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 09:47 PM
In the current generation of game consoles... what could be improved upon in the 3

360:
I wish was quieter...while it's not so much a problem sometimes at other times it's louder than 2 TV and some powerful ass speakers.

I wish the controller was constructed just a bit better. The ABXY buttons stick sometimes, the rubber on the joy sticks wear down quick, and the placement of the triggers and shoulders makes them hard to use comfortably for some.

The CD tray also is too flimsy and I'm afraid I'm gonna break it all the time. And it doesn't hold the CD properly which is probably a large contributing factor to all those broken discs.

Gold Membership needs to be worth something besides early downloads of demos and the market place needs to have actual games that you can download.

There also needs to be a way to transfers xbox saves to 360.

I want a bigger HD >.> that's not a what could improved to all of them though.

I don't think the heat is a problem...I was worried about this when I bought it, but only during the first week did i have a problem with it keeping cool. I moved it to a spot which I thought would make it hotter, but it's now cool to the touch after hours of play time ^.^ It could be my PC fans are blowing through the vents and cooling it ^.^ My PC fans keep the inside of my PC super cool, beyond that of my AC at full blast >.> somehow that can't be good for the environment.

Wii:
The Wii mote should be less sensitive and overall and it shuldn't conk out when you are 3ft away or closer to the TV. As much as I want it this limits me getting it cuz all my consoles are within a certain space that are not 3ft away so i can have access to them easily. i know several others that have this problem.

The marketplace for it also need to be tweaked so that if your Wii dies or you lose your data you don't have to pay to redownload that content. That is the most prevalent thing that I can see about the digital content and every other console has done this.

PS3:
Too expensive...
Too much crap on it...as in worthless console hardware that just increases it's price.
Not enough exclusive content...
beyond that I don't know as i've never played it or seen it.

EphekZ
Apr 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Needs more icecream

Kent
Apr 28, 2007, 10:19 PM
As for the problems with the Wiimote:

Yeah, there are some issues with responsiveness. For the most part, it works great, but on some games, such as Sonic and the Secret Rings, the Wiimote is just too unresponsive for the game to be very enjoyable past the first few levels.

As for pointer distance... You shouldn't be within three feet of a TV while playing, in the first place. Unless it's some of those goggles that are attached to your face - but playing a Wii on that? :/

For the Shop Channel (marketplace is for Xboxes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif), there is a way to get your stuff transferred to a new Wii, but it's through, you know, manual contact with Nintendo. They're pretty good with support, though...

Onto the 360 problems:

If your 360 is making more noise than two TVs and a set of speakers... Obviously, all three of those are muted. :/ The thing's nowhere near as loud as a Dreamcast is (which, will make more noise than your TV, from the laser adjusting), and if it is making that much noise, I suspect a hardware problem. Mine's actually pretty quiet, and it's a launch model.

Controllers - I've had my wired controller since before the system was released, and my wireless one that came with it - both still work perfectly. The only cases of first-party sticking buttons I've ever actually encountered, have been in an unfortunate accident involving orange juice and an NES arcade-style joystick, and when a cat decided to claim a GameCube controller. The analog sticks on GameCube controllers, though, have worn out a little quickly - mainly due to the fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is awesome. My 360 sticks are still in perfect condition, though... And I still consider the controller to be the most comfortable and usable first-party controller design, of any console I've played (read: basically all of them).

Yeah, the disc drive does seem a little flimbsy at times... But nothing's broken or failed yet.

Overheating problems, with various systems and computers and the like, usually stem from user idiocy. Such as, taking a system like the 360 for example, and putting it and the power brick on shag carpet, or in a closed entertainment center, where there isn't good ventilation. Mine runs very cool, unless there's, say, a cat sleeping on it, or my brother and I decide to beat Gears of War on all three difficulties in one sitting.

Your synopsis of the PS3 is spot-on, though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Tykwa
Apr 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
360:
I wish was quieter...while it's not so much a problem sometimes at other times it's louder than 2 TV and some powerful ass speakers.

(Yeah it's loud)

I wish the controller was constructed just a bit better. The ABXY buttons stick sometimes, the rubber on the joy sticks wear down quick, and the placement of the triggers and shoulders makes them hard to use comfortably for some.

(Mine hasn't ever stuck and my sticks are fine, Shoulders are a little wierd but I NEVER have both of my fingers on both of them)

The CD tray also is too flimsy and I'm afraid I'm gonna break it all the time. And it doesn't hold the CD properly which is probably a large contributing factor to all those broken discs.

( Huh?, broken disks i've never had one and yeah it's a little wobboly and the CD works for me )

Gold Membership needs to be worth something besides early downloads of demos and the market place needs to have actual games that you can download.

(hmm Xbox live is worth $30 a month acually ( Demos,Videos,Playing ONLINE (PSU,FF don't have to have gold) (all other games do),Music Videos,Movies,TV stuff,umm, alot)

There also needs to be a way to transfers xbox saves to 360.

( Xbox is old...)

I want a bigger HD >.> that's not a what could improved to all of them though.

(Lawl)

I don't think the heat is a problem...I was worried about this when I bought it, but only during the first week did i have a problem with it keeping cool. I moved it to a spot which I thought would make it hotter, but it's now cool to the touch after hours of play time ^.^ It could be my PC fans are blowing through the vents and cooling it ^.^ My PC fans keep the inside of my PC super cool, beyond that of my AC at full blast >.> somehow that can't be good for the environment.

( My 360's failed TWICE since Xmas, I still love it even though I take care of it the most I can...)

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
(hmm Xbox live is worth $30 a month acually ( Demos,Videos,Playing ONLINE (PSU,FF don't have to have gold) (all other games do),Music Videos,Movies,TV stuff,umm, alot)

Xbox live gold is $40 a year and has nothing to do with any of that stuff. Silver is free and allows you to do all that.

kent - You shouldn't be within three feet of a TV while playing

It has nothing to do with the distance to the TV... it has to do with distance from console.

kent - if it is making that much noise, I suspect a hardware problem.

I should rephrase that to that it's hard to hear clearly over the sound when playing a disc sometimes and I keep my TVs at a decent volume.

As far as discs breaking...I have heard people say their discs have broken while playing various games or have cracked or whatever. None of mine have though.

Kent
Apr 28, 2007, 10:47 PM
On 2007-04-28 20:35, DurakkenX wrote:

Xbox live gold is $40 a year and has nothing to do with any of that stuff. Silver is free and allows you to do all that.
Actually, it has a good bit to do with all of that. There's a bunch of content that's downloadable only for Gold members. I hear a lot of people at my college say things along the lines of "I wish I had Gold so I could download [insert whatever content here]."

And it's $50/year, actually, and worth it - the high point of the system, is its online multiplayer capabilities, so a lot of games put emphasis on making that part good, and succeed.

kent - You shouldn't be within three feet of a TV while playing

It has nothing to do with the distance to the TV... it has to do with distance from console.
...Eh?

On 2007-04-28 19:47, DurakkenX wrote:
The Wii mote should be less sensitive and overall and it shuldn't conk out when you are 3ft away or closer to the TV.

kent - if it is making that much noise, I suspect a hardware problem.

I should rephrase that to that it's hard to hear clearly over the sound when playing a disc sometimes and I keep my TVs at a decent volume.

I'm going to have to say, that really depends on what you mean by "decent" volume. I play using one hell of a speaker system, myself... And I consider a "decent" volume not loud enough to wake up my dad while he's sleeping in the next room, but loud enough so I can clearly hear the game. I can only barely hear my system over that (and he's not exactly a sound sleeper).

As far as discs breaking...I have heard people say their discs have broken while playing various games or have cracked or whatever. None of mine have though.

This happens exclusively when you tilt the system around while it's running, such as switching to/from vertical/horizontal orientation. It's accompanied by the most horrible buzzsaw-like noise you could imagine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GcnK6NUAw).

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
sorry, mis-spoke... when you are 3ft or less from the console the controller dies on you. In all the play that I've done on it and from what I heard this is true.

Actually, it has a good bit to do with all of that. There's a bunch of content that's downloadable only for Gold members. I hear a lot of people at my college say things along the lines of "I wish I had Gold so I could download [insert whatever content here]."

And it's $50/year, actually, and worth it - the high point of the system, is its online multiplayer capabilities, so a lot of games put emphasis on making that part good, and succeed.

That is utter nonsense... silver allows you to download and play the same things. Gold just allows you to get a few things earlier. Nothing else as far as I have seen. Of course I've not had a silver account so I may be mistaken....even still all the content you can DL is worthless for the most part.

When I say decent Volume I means betweeb 10-30 on most TVs... I keep my SDTV at 30-50 and my EDTV at 10-25... If I were to turn my system up to 50-60% of my max volume the sound wouldn't be loud either, but i don't like to do that... That is loud enough to drown out just about anything and 100% just loud...really really loud lol

Jehosaphaty
Apr 28, 2007, 11:07 PM
On 2007-04-28 20:47, Kent wrote:
This happens exclusively when you tilt the system around while it's running, such as switching to/from vertical/horizontal orientation. It's accompanied by the most horrible buzzsaw-like noise you could imagine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GcnK6NUAw).

Egad that's awful.

amtalx
Apr 28, 2007, 11:37 PM

What? All of the pitch, roll and velocity of the Wii remote is all transmitted via Bluetooth (this has often been assumed because Wii remotes are Bluetooth compliant.) So all that data has absolutely no bearing on how close it is to the console or the TV. That being the reason why you can get a strike in Wii Sports in another room with the door closed (or right next to the console for that matter.)

All of the pointer data comes from the sensor bar reading IR signal from the front of the Wii remote. This only depends on your orientation to the sensor bar. This also has nothing to do with your proximity to the console itself. The only thing that will adversely affect this is being to close (<3') or too far (>10') from the sensor bar.

Was there something else you were talking about that depends on proximity to the console?

DurakkenX
Apr 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
On 2007-04-28 21:37, amtalx wrote:

The only thing that will adversely affect this is being to close (<3') or too far (>10') from the sensor bar.

UnderscoreX
Apr 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
Wii is not Hip Hop enough.

DizzyDi
Apr 29, 2007, 12:03 AM
According to the ABAP scale (As BAAAAAAAALLLIIIIIN' As Possible) Wii ranks in at about a 4.
That PS Tripple on the other hand. That shit is OFF THE CHARTS!

Kent
Apr 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
On 2007-04-28 21:04, DurakkenX wrote:
sorry, mis-spoke... when you are 3ft or less from the console the controller dies on you. In all the play that I've done on it and from what I heard this is true.

That is utter nonsense... silver allows you to download and play the same things. Gold just allows you to get a few things earlier. Nothing else as far as I have seen. Of course I've not had a silver account so I may be mistaken....even still all the content you can DL is worthless for the most part.

*hits buzzer*

Try playing any game other than Final Fantasy XI or Phantasy Star Universe online, without a Gold membership. The reason these are exempt, are because they not only run on different servers than Xbox Live (which is used solely as a gateway of sorts), but they also require their separate online fees. The fact that I have to explain this to you, calls into question whether or not you actually own the system. :/

Akira_R
Apr 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
On 2007-04-28 21:07, Jehosaphaty wrote:

Egad that's awful.

That video made me flinch a little.

Kent
Apr 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
On 2007-04-28 22:38, Akira_R wrote:

On 2007-04-28 21:07, Jehosaphaty wrote:

Egad that's awful.

That video made me flinch a little.

I'm just glad they did that with something like Quake IV, instead of something, you know, good.