PDA

View Full Version : Theories on Elysion

Polenicus
Dec 11, 2002, 04:27 PM
The Elysion is the legendary Ultimate sword for the Phantasy Star series. It was the sword Alis used to slay the first Dark Falz, and the same one Chaz used to slay the Profound Darkness. It is Algol's Excalibur, the ultimate holy weapon.

Now take a look at PSO's Elysion. What the frack happened?

In V2 the Elysion was a middlin'-fair ultimate-level sword, a step above the Red Saber, but no match for the higher ranks of weaponry. It's special attack was simple foie, more or less useless to your average sword-swinger. it was a good weapon, but not a great weapon.

In the GC version, the Elysion is much the same, only now it requires MST. It's essentially a FORCE weapon. Now, Alis and Chaz were many things, but mages they WEREN'T. True, they had powerful magic at their command, but they were the classic Hunters.

So what's up?

Well, the first answer is obvious: The TRUE Elysion SHATTERED at the end of PS IV. So all of the Elysions we find in PSO are simply namesakes. But why require MST to use?

This goes back to the connection between the Elysion of PSO and the crystals in the Ruins. Let's enter some assumptions:

1. The crystals in the Ruins essentially function as the seal on Dark Falz. They're not PERFECT, but they hold much of his power in check.

2. The Ruins spaceship originated from Algol, as evidenced by the seal used: MUTT DIS POUMN, or Motavia, Dezorias, Palma

3. Rune (From PS I, II & IV) had something to do with sealing Dark Falz.

First, let's take a look at the sword. The Elysion is a long crystalline blade, with a yellow strip inset with runes running along the center of the crystal. Familiar, no? It's almost identical to the crystals in the Ruins!

Let's take a leap here. Let's say that the Elysion(s) in PSO and the seal on the Ruins were done by the same person or group... namely Rune and the Espers of the Algol star system. Suddenly, the MST requirement makes SENSE.

You see, the Espers were really the ones who kept all the knowledge of Dark Falz alive. They kept safe the weapons with which to fight him and played a big part in his repeated defeats. If Dark Falz had arisen on Algol again and needed to be sealed away, they would have been the ones to do it. They would also be the ones to best remember Alis and the Elysion.

Let's say at some point they created this crystalline ward as a weapon against dark powers like Falz. Most likely the crystal acts as a focus for magical energies. Used as a ward, it can seal a dark being like Falz using his own energies. Forged into a sword, it would focus and enhance the weilder's own magic power.

Chances are Rune and his Espers created and used these swords against the last Dark Falz. And in honour of the Falz-slaying legendary weapon, they named these weapons Elysion.

Then, when the Corallians left Algol, Forces came with them, the descendants of Rune's espers... and they brought with them some of these Elysions. And some of these weapons made their way to Ragol.

So, the Elysions we see in PSO are Force made weapons FOR Forces. They're not meant to be replicas of the original sword, but named in its honour because they serve a similar function. That's why the sword requires MST, because it has no true power of its own. It's also why it's weak... we're not terribly impressive compared to the espers of Algol ;p

Unfortunately, this still leaves the 'Dark' and 'Cursed' weapons like Soul Banish and Dark Flow dominating the high-end of PSO weaponry. Hopefully we'll get to see some more powerful Holy weapons in the next version.

GimpyBoy
Dec 11, 2002, 04:36 PM
Good theory. Sound backing in the timeline too. I guess we'll have to see what the next version brings. Although when you look at it, it's kinda like the Ragnarok sword in FF, and the Ultima. Sometimes it's powerful, sometimes not. Maybe it'll get better next version.

Sedyne
Dec 11, 2002, 08:56 PM
like i've said before....either Sega has just hired a whole new set of complete morons to make our games for us, or they've become lazy drunks who seldom come to work and put out our crappy themed games =x for last 10 years, sega has been going ntohing but downhill, with the exception of a 2 year spark for dreamcast.

EsperFlame
Dec 11, 2002, 09:24 PM
I think they also made it MST based becuase they didnt't want every driod running around with one. Also, in balance it gives the Forces a halfway decent weapong to use in melee, noe that much like the Hildebear Cane, shoots foie spell at no cost.

Alisha
Dec 12, 2002, 12:02 AM
ellyison does rafoie now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Lileya
Dec 12, 2002, 12:15 AM
On 2002-12-11 21:02, Alisha wrote:
ellyison does rafoie now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I rly think you got BSed or you BS us cause I can comfirm Elysion still does foie! And it doesn't seem much high lvl X_x

Edit : Why do I always spell it Elyseon, err X_x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mrs_Rohrbach on 2002-12-11 21:19 ]</font>

Neifan
Dec 12, 2002, 12:26 AM
That's a nice theory. It doesn't really fit with mine, though. I always assumed that the DF we fight in PSO was the DF from PSIII. If I'm not mistaken, there's an ending in PSIII where you seal DF up in a ship and blast him off into space. That would also explain why the people in PSO don't seem to be from Algo(although that doesn't explain the newmans). Your theory's much better than mine.

Subliminalgroove
Dec 12, 2002, 01:29 AM
DAMN good theory! I like! And its always good to see those names again, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... ah, nostalgia. However, Neifan makes an extremely good point.

I've always been a bit confused about PS3, though... that one isn't really a part of the series, right? I mean its a great game in its own right, just isn't truly part of the series. . . Merely carries the name. Or am I horribly wrong?

Sub

Edit: I should not type after a terrible day at work... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Subliminalgroove on 2002-12-11 22:30 ]</font>

Alisha
Dec 12, 2002, 02:11 AM
On 2002-12-11 21:15, Mrs_Rohrbach wrote:

I rly think you got BSed or you BS us cause I can comfirm Elysion still does foie! And it doesn't seem much high lvl X_x

Edit : Why do I always spell it Elyseon, err X_x

hmn i never actually seen/used it but various people have told me it does rafoie O_o well if my fomarl ever makes it to v-hard i can find out since al rappy drops ellyison on v-hard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mrs_Rohrbach on 2002-12-11 21:19 ]</font>

Polenicus
Dec 12, 2002, 05:33 AM
On 2002-12-11 21:26, Neifan wrote:
That's a nice theory. It doesn't really fit with mine, though. I always assumed that the DF we fight in PSO was the DF from PSIII. If I'm not mistaken, there's an ending in PSIII where you seal DF up in a ship and blast him off into space. That would also explain why the people in PSO don't seem to be from Algo(although that doesn't explain the newmans). Your theory's much better than mine.

Ah, but THIS has been covered in detail! Here's the thread: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34855&forum=1&44

Anyhoo, as a recap, there are a few major hints that the Ruins came from Ragol POST PS IV:

1. The symbol on the Seal/Columns: That nifty circle with what kinda looks like a steer's head? THAT has been seen before. Rune and at least one other Esper in PS IV wore it as their symbol! It did not appear in any previous PS games as far as I know. Check Camineet.net for some pics as evidence, and a rant that summarizes all of this FAr better than I do.

2. The seal used. The seal placed on the Ruins in PSO is a 3 part seal, MUTT DIS POUMN. That doesn't seem significant, until you look at PS IV. In PS IV we learn that the entire Algol star system is a gigantic seal on something called the Profound Darkness... basically yer grandaddy Dark Falz. The three planets were the seal. Motavia, Dezoris, Palma.

Mutt Dis Poumn

The seal on the Ruins appears to be a miniature version of the Algol system seal. Now keep in mind NO ONE, not even the ancient (Several thousand years) Rune had ANY clue about this. All they knew was Dark Falz revived every 1,000 years.

Since the Palman worldships in PS III launched BEFORE PS IV, NONE of this information went with them. Therefore it is unlikely their seal would take this particular form.

Now, as to the Coralians, the theory goes that they too are from Algol, from a colony that set out AFTER PS IV. The basis of this?

1. They have Newmans, something PS III did not have but PS IV DID. They also have a Hunter's Guild, Meseta, Mono/Di/Trimates & fluids, ALL of the spells

2. Their 'summoning circle'... the one that appears in the intro when the Pioneer 2 opens contact, when you summon a photon blast and even surrounding Dark Falz in his final form are all made up of a circle with three points... and if you'll notice, so is the symbol of the seal on the Ruins!

3. Many of the weapons have 'AUW' dates. Algol used a very similar 'AW' date system... and many of the dates match up nicely (For instance the dates for the Agito fall within the Algol time of no science).

4. There are Laconium weapons... a material supposedly only available from the Algol star system. (Dezoris, specifically)

5. There are references to PS characters! The 'Heart of Poumn' is 'A laconian task, also known as Alis' Claw'. Alis, as in Alis Landale. There's also Nei's claw and Rika's claw.

So there's a LOT of evidence for the Coralians being originally from Algol. 800 years (The theorized time between PS IV and PSO) is long enough to forget that Coral was NOT their original home. however, i admit the evidence is somewhat circumstantial, and could be completely invalidated in the next installment of the game. Oh well.

Armok
Dec 12, 2002, 07:59 AM
Bottem line is it looks quality

Neifan
Dec 12, 2002, 09:17 AM
See, I always assumed that the newmans and PS themed weapons and such were just shameless fan-service. I dunno. I wish Sonic Team would come out and tell us some of these things.

Annoy
Dec 12, 2002, 01:29 PM

I have an Elysion...so as soon as my FOneweral gets a high enough level...I'll double check on that... only...maybe 20..to 25 more levels to go x_x