PDA

View Full Version : looking for a game >.>

DurakkenX
Apr 29, 2007, 10:23 PM
Ok a long time ago I played this game where you can build your own mech by competing in competitions and buying parts, sorta like how racing games are today, but i remember the main focus of this game was combat between 2 mechs. Are there any games out there that let you build and customize a mech to fight with in combat environment on any of the consoles save for PS3 or Wii, I have neither and don't have a way of playing a game on them, but any other console is fine as I have 360, ps2, GC, n64, xbox, physically set up and any other console i can emulate >.> so yeah... gib game name now.

NPCMook
Apr 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
hmm... I think it may have been Phantom Crash... there was another one I remember for the Psone, but it was much more Cartoony

Siertes
Apr 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
Sounds sort of like an "Armored Core" game. Google that and check it out.

DizzyDi
Apr 29, 2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah just get Armored Core 4 for the 360.

DurakkenX
Apr 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
looks like what i was thinking of...just every time i rent one of these mech games they don't have the building aspect of it that i like...i actually like to change the look of the mech rather just have singular picture with dif stats...

Sinue_v2
Apr 29, 2007, 11:49 PM
Sounded kind of like you were talking about One Must Fall 2097 for a moment. Then I remember, duh, nobody played PC games in 1994.

http://www.caiman.us/freepix/2279-3.jpg

Great PC fighting game for it's day, featured upgradable mechs and stat tweaking, environmental damage, online play, all that good stuff.

Too bad it's sequel (BattleGrounds) sucked bawls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-29 21:53 ]</font>

Kent
Apr 30, 2007, 06:35 AM
I'd have to recommend not getting Armored Core... Mostly because the series blows very, very hard, because of how bad they managed to make the controls.

If you want a game with customizable mecha action, go for Phantom Crash, Custom Robo, or, dare I say it, Chromehounds.

Of course, if you just need your mecha fix, and not so much the customizability part, go for Virtual On - best mecha series evar.

Solstis
Apr 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
Chromehounds is... tolerable.

DizzyDi
Apr 30, 2007, 07:56 AM
On 2007-04-29 21:23, DurakkenX wrote:
looks like what i was thinking of...just every time i rent one of these mech games they don't have the building aspect of it that i like...i actually like to change the look of the mech rather just have singular picture with dif stats...

You can change the look of the mech in AC. You customize pretty much every part of it.
Theres different kinds of leg models (bipedal, tank, inverted, 4 leg, hover), arm modesl (gun, sword, humanoid) and everything else.
I hear AC4 is a huge improvement on the series, its a lot faster and the controls are sopposed to be tighter, but ultimately its up to you.

ABDUR101
Apr 30, 2007, 09:36 AM
The demo for AC4 was ok, I'm glad they fixed the damn controls from the former version(it actually uses the analog stick to aim completely now, rather than using the bumper buttons to aim up/down). However, I don't like the timed aspect of the AC-games, fuck that, if I buy a game, I want to do stuff at my own pace, not run a damn race.

One Must Fall, whew, I had that game, and at the time it was so badass; I was intrigued to hear about the sequel, but then read how it wasn't all that great anyway.

As for the topic, I thought you meant this way old DOS game that featured two mechs fighting in an arena style system, even had it's own AI-opponent list for when you could'nt log online to fight friends(and at the time it even fooled me into thinking they WERE real people, because at random you'd get one of them to challenge you and you could accept or deny the request). However, that game only had different mechs that were prebuilt, I think you could change what weapons were mounted, but the models stayed the same.(missile mounts could only house missiles, etc)

Chromehounds for the 360, it's entirely squad-based and online driven, so unless you intend to get into a squad thats not full of idiots(unless you like that sort of thing) don't bother. However, the customizability is 100%, right down to paint colors, color patterns and every single part of the 'hound' itself, including where you want the parts mounted and in what direct they'll face.

DurakkenX
Apr 30, 2007, 09:49 AM
it was a console game not a PC games...prolly saturn, PSX, or SNES...not positive, but I'm prolly getted AC4 or chrome hounds when i go get the new .hack game

DizzyDi
Apr 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
On 2007-04-30 07:49, DurakkenX wrote:
it was a console game not a PC games...prolly saturn, PSX, or SNES...not positive, but I'm prolly getted AC4 or chrome hounds when i go get the new .hack game

You might be talking about Front Mission which came out both on the PSX and SNES.
Its a Turn Based Strategy RPG by Square and its one of their better franchines.

Neith
Apr 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
On 2007-04-30 08:44, DizzyDi wrote:
You might be talking about Front Mission which came out both on the PSX and SNES.
Its a Turn Based Strategy RPG by Square and its one of their better franchines.

Yeah, Front Mission owned the hell out of that 'other' RPG series Square made. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Front Mission (I played 3 the most, on PS1) had fully customizable mechs (you chose the body, legs, arms and backpack units, then the weapon setup and special abilities.)

It's not like Armored Core though, its more of a turn-based strategy. Still, very worth looking into if you haven't already.

AC9breaker
Apr 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cyborg Justice.

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/18/86/dd/35161821.JPG

ABDUR101
Apr 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
On 2007-04-30 10:05, AC9breaker wrote:
Cyborg Justice.

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/18/86/dd/35161821.JPG

Damn that game was so much fun. I liked the co-op play; but damn some of those jumps in the game were retarded; expecially the ones that required the pnuemonic legs. You get to the chasm and realise your current legs can't make the jump...thus you have to restart and make sure you have the pneumonic legs.

Buzz-saw arms for the win!

Aralia
Apr 30, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you're talking about CustomRobo to me. First thing that came into my head when you described the game.

It's for GCN.

Jife_Jifremok
Apr 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
I personally recommend the first Armored Core series on PS1, or the Armored Core 3 series on PS2. Just don't be disappointed with the dated controls, as they were NEVER built with analog in mind (it orginated before Playstation 1 even had analog controllers, I think). So yeah, the controls are dated. (They still have better controls than most console FPS games even today though, how weird! Well, sad for the FPS devs...) But every attempt to modernize the controls has felt half-assed and digital control was better. Maybe AC4 has good analog control though? I cannot say how good AC4 is, too expensive for my blood.

Outside AC, there is Robo Pit, which is um, a really shitty custom mech arena game.

I played a demo of Custom Robo and found the combat itself really dull. The customization seemed pretty good though.

Phantom Crash for the Xbox...meh. It's more of a grind to get money to "tune" your parts to make them super powerful.

SLAI (for PS2), the sequel to Phantom Crash, I just couldn't handle that grind anymore and didn't even bother to get very far. I remember not liking the controls much, but I forget exactly how the control options were. (Just that the torso cannot swivel far enough to make strafing runs a viable strategy).

And yes, there's Cyborg Justice on the Genesis, where you take legs and weapon arms from enemies. If I'm not mistaken, it is possible to make the insane jumps without the neumatic (best jumping) legs if you knew the exact timing of jumping and kicking. (It still sucks though.)

Dkzero23
Apr 30, 2007, 05:48 PM
On 2007-04-29 21:49, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Sounded kind of like you were talking about One Must Fall 2097 for a moment. Then I remember, duh, nobody played PC games in 1994.

http://www.caiman.us/freepix/2279-3.jpg

Great PC fighting game for it's day, featured upgradable mechs and stat tweaking, environmental damage, online play, all that good stuff.

Too bad it's sequel (BattleGrounds) sucked bawls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-29 21:53 ]</font>

OMG I used to LOOOVVVEEE that game!! You might also want to try any Mechwarrior game for the PC. They are the best mech games of all in my opinion.

Tykwa
Apr 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
CHROMEHOUNDS IS THE SECOND BEST GAME IN THE WORLD OTHER THAN PSU
MECHWARRIOR 4 WAS BDA TOO!!!
Pictures: ( yes pictures )
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4100/0120050810105252675qi6.jpg
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/6139/20060810screenchromehouue4.jpg
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3658/chromehoundsdy8.jpg
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9233/chromehounds01ld5.jpg

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 30, 2007, 06:12 PM
On 2007-04-30 12:24, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
And yes, there's Cyborg Justice on the Genesis, where you take legs and weapon arms from enemies. If I'm not mistaken, it is possible to make the insane jumps without the neumatic (best jumping) legs if you knew the exact timing of jumping and kicking. (It still sucks though.)

If the 2nd player already made the jump or attempted it, the screen shifted/scrolled forward so its now impossible to even stand anywhere and you both die horrible bottomless pit deaths. And then you smack the guy sitting next to you for successfully ending the game with one jump.

One player though was okay since you didn't have to deal with that problem, except there were new problems in the later stages where the bosses shoot lasers from off the screen, jump onscreen for a few seconds time to be able to be damaged, then repeated the process ad nauseam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-04-30 16:14 ]</font>

AC9breaker
Apr 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
On 2007-04-30 12:24, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
I personally recommend the first Armored Core series on PS1, or the Armored Core 3 series on PS2. Just don't be disappointed with the dated controls, as they were NEVER built with analog in mind (it orginated before Playstation 1 even had analog controllers, I think). So yeah, the controls are dated. (They still have better controls than most console FPS games even today though, how weird! Well, sad for the FPS devs...) But every attempt to modernize the controls has felt half-assed and digital control was better. Maybe AC4 has good analog control though? I cannot say how good AC4 is, too expensive for my blood.

AC4 analog compared to the previous AC incarnations analog is really amazing. Being the standard control scheme player type myself, I was surprised at how readily I was able to pick it up. Doesn't mean its any more less complicated then previous AC games. In fact I think they made it much more complicated. But it still feels much more fluid, dynamic, and exciting compared to previous AC games. I personally think AC4 is really well done, much faster pace, engaging gameplay, beautiful graphics, jawesome music. GG doods

I would also like to note, I have never once in my life beaten Cyborg Justice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zelutos
May 1, 2007, 12:17 AM
Custom Robo? ;o

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 1, 2007, 02:43 AM
On 2007-04-30 19:02, AC9breaker wrote:
I would also like to note, I have never once in my life beaten Cyborg Justice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

If anyone has I wouldn't know either, they're probably lying too.

Jife_Jifremok
May 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
On 2007-05-01 00:43, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

On 2007-04-30 19:02, AC9breaker wrote:

If anyone has I wouldn't know either, they're probably lying too.

I was able to beat it many many years ago back in the Genesis era. In fact, I can tell you what I am able to remember...
If I remember correctly, the final stage was in some jungle, I still remember the music! I can't describe it though. After beating the final (jungle?) stage (was it 5-3 or 5-2 or some such?), the screen, instead of saying 5-3 or whatever, said End Boss or something to that effect. The boss was this huge brain thing encased in glass (real original, no? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) that fired lasers (may have bene multi-storied) at you. I forget how hard it was, but I do remember having difficulty there. I think I'd usually have like 3-5 lives though prior to getting there. The music was the same music you'd hear at any normal stage boss. To defeat the huge brain, you had to hit three specific weak points: One in the middle could probably be hit with regular punches, one up top that needed to be jumpkicked, and one on the bottom that required crouch-punches. Destroying the third weak point led to some rather unimpressive explosions and debris effects, with the screen fading to black. Then there was the ending. It showed your cyborg and some other cyborgs raising and lowering their arms (I guess to indicate victory). They tell you um..I think the brain controlled them or something, and you broke them free of its control. then I THINK you were made king of their world. Or maybe you left the planet. I forget which.