PDA

View Full Version : They put my dog to sleep because he was suffering from old a

Ryno
May 1, 2007, 08:15 PM
I had my dog which is a Boston Terrior since he was born which was 16 years ago. That means 16 years ago i was 5 years old! and i'm now 21! WOW!..

anyways..

we had to bring my dog to the vet because he was suffering. by throwing up, having seizues, blindness,.. etc..

we brought him to the vet to lay him to rest in peace forever.. i almost cried... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

my dogs name was Rugbee just like my Xbox Live gamertag mr rugbee

TorterraEndor
May 1, 2007, 08:21 PM
I usually try to appear emotionless on the internet, but you have my honest condolences. Some may not understand getting attached to an animal, but I sure do. I couldn't imagine having to say goodbye like that.

At least hes no longer in pain though.

Zorafim
May 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
Quite recently, my cat that I've had since I was one year old died of (seemingly) old age. It was rather depressing watching something you grew up with lose life right in front of you.

Sinue_v2
May 1, 2007, 11:04 PM
Had to put my cat to sleep last November. She was like 18 years old, deph and mute (since she was like 10 months), had half of her ear ripped off, a stroke, seizures, and a tumor the size of a grapefruit growing in her. She held it together pretty well, we didn't know she was sick until she started bloating up with water. Turns out her kidney's were failing as well, and since the operations would have cost like several thousand dollars and only extended her life by a year or two - we decided that the $40 shot of death would be better for all parties involved.

Freaked me out at the time, because she was scared and would huddle next to me in the vets office. It was a betrayal of trust... she clung to me for saftey and protection and I gave the order to kill her.

Makes me wonder now though if the tainted petfood wasn't partly to blame. Our brand was listed in the affected bags, and she was old - very susceptable to the poisons. Maybe the vet mistook something else for the tumor?

Eh, guess it doesn't matter now tho.

Hah... had her for 18 years, and never even named her.

omegapirate2k
May 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
I know what you mean, man, I had a dog that got to 15 years old and had to be put down.

It is an unfortunate inevitability of owning a pet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

MayLee
May 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Awww, Ryno I remember you telling me you had a Boston Terrier. I'm so sorry, honestly. I don't know what I would do if Simba(My cat) died. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Gryffin
May 2, 2007, 12:32 PM
That's rough... I have/had alot of emotional issues in my life, but I'm lucky enough to have never gone through anything like that..

What's sad though, is my Beagle is starting to get up there...he's around 14 or 15... My kitty is only 3, but still. I dunno what I'll do when the time comes.

You have my hugs.

ABDUR101
May 3, 2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah, my first dog I had to put down when she was 16(and I was 17 at the time, yes, we grew up together yo, a lifetime of snuggles and having a little chihuahua huddled up next to you everynight growing up). She had a tumor growing on her leg, and eventually was throwing up and diarhea and wasn't eating, just laying and not able to control her body functions. She had seizures all her life too, but she was one tough little dog. Had her put down, and while it was a hard thing to do, I realised it was so much better for her than letting her suffer.

I had another dog that was attacked one night by a neighbors german shepherd. My dad had thrown out alot of freezer burnt meat(which was in baggies), but it was left out in the open. The neighbor dog smelt it, came down, and my two dogs got into a fight with them. Now, let me just say, that the poodle-terrier and the terrier-mix I had, they would each run off my neighbors larger german shepherds, they did'nt fuck around and they were very tough dogs. The terrier-mix would dig down into groundhog holes and kill the groundhogs, and had the tip of his one ear bitten off once because of his mis-adventures.

So, the german shepherd came down, fight ensued, and we put my poodle-mix in the basement. She was always very curly and clotted fur, tangled and so on because she was always outside, and you just could never comb it, it was woven into itself. So anyway, the next day, we goto let her out, and there was blood everywhere. Appearently she was bitten along her back, the wound immediately swelled and closed, but over the night it opened up and bled out. We took her to the vet, they kept her overnight, and the vet promised me that they'd have her better the next day and after I got home from school to pick her up, she'd have her cleaned up and looking pretty to come home.

I remember all day, waiting eagerly to get home and go pick her up. The day could'nt end soon enough, I remember getting off the bus all smiles and running to my mom's car at the bus stop, and then mom says "I'm sorry, she did'nt make it." and mom explained that when the vet used the clippers to cut away all the blooded and matted fur, that the meat just poured out like hamburger from her wound, that the dog had ripped her up so much she had alot of spinal cord damage and the meat around the spine was so damaged it would never heal properly. The only thing they could do was dull her pain and my mom told them to please put her down.

So, we went to pick her up, but she was prepared to be buried. And thats what we did.

So, yeah, losing companions is a hard thing to deal with. And you can tell who the people are that care about their pets as companions and not merely something you feed and change the water for when you remember to.

Siertes
May 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
Damn, I can't stand pets (Especially the dumb dog in this house) but I'm sure it's sad losing one you've had for so long.

R.I.P Rugbee and cheer up Ryno.

DurakkenX
May 3, 2007, 01:17 AM
Not to spoil the mood or anything, but I find it incredibly hypocritical to be talking about how attached you are to all these animals and yet you coldly killed them because they became too much of a hassle to you.

A lot of you would prolly argue that you would try to extend yours or a family members' life for as long as you possibly could...and yet given the same situation you killed your pet that you grew attached to and felt were part of the family? news flash...if you felt that way you wouldn't do that.

If it isn't true that you support keeping people alive as long as possible ignore the above statement, but if you do just think...it was just an animal in the end, but then again so are you.

Siertes
May 3, 2007, 01:24 AM
Did you see the part about the suffering Durakken? If so, kindly ignore this reply and I will ignore yours.

Oh, that just reminded me! I had a friend back in Washington who had this pretty cool dog, but I think he told me about the same problems your dog was having Ryno. I wonder if he's alright...

DurakkenX
May 3, 2007, 01:45 AM
Animals and humans suffer all the time. According to most people's religions and/or beliefs life is about suffering. If one is to use that as an excuse then I suggest you go drop a nuke on all those people that there are charities for. It'd be the kind thing to do after all.

Midicronica
May 3, 2007, 01:50 AM
My dog's fairly old herself. She'll be 12 this year and I love her dearly. I'm very sorry to hear about your lost, Ryno. You have my condolences. Try to remember the good times you had with good 'ol Rugbee. Whenever you're ready, come and play with some of your pso-world friends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

hollowtip
May 3, 2007, 02:58 AM
On 2007-05-02 23:17, DurakkenX wrote:
Not to spoil the mood or anything, but I find it incredibly hypocritical to be talking about how attached you are to all these animals and yet you coldly killed them because they became too much of a hassle to you.

A lot of you would prolly argue that you would try to extend yours or a family members' life for as long as you possibly could...and yet given the same situation you killed your pet that you grew attached to and felt were part of the family? news flash...if you felt that way you wouldn't do that.

If it isn't true that you support keeping people alive as long as possible ignore the above statement, but if you do just think...it was just an animal in the end, but then again so are you.

You're warping the situation. Of course I would try to extend a relatives life as long as possible, but that's under the condition they wouldn't be faced with lifelong suffering.

His actions are also not hypocritical. The dog's quality of life was extremely poor and he would have just extended a life of suffering. Domestic animals live a very simple life, and depend on the owner to make decisions regarding his/her wellbeing. You're not understanding that it was in the best interest of the animal for the owner to end its life.

The difference between the suffering of an old aged animal and the suffering in third world countries is that much of the latter can be avoided.

Your arguement is extremely flawed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2007-05-03 00:59 ]</font>

Solstis
May 3, 2007, 03:31 AM
Uh, if I was suffering seizures, repeated vomiting, was blind, old, and couldn't move too well, I'd hope that my loved ones would be kind enough to off me. If they stared at me and said: "Well, our beliefs entail suffering, and so you must suffer" I'd take all that I had left and beat someone.

There's not a suffering quota that has to be fulfilled in order to die, y'know. Also, nuking people would just cause more suffering. The survivors would have to deal with fallout for years.

Social Darwinism is for losers.

SStrikerR
May 3, 2007, 06:51 AM
if they hurt, which they do, and sometimes its really bad, you wouldnt know, its better to put them to sleep. and that is so freakin rude to post that here, a pet dies and to the owner, you basically say, "screw you."?

anyway, in the summer my not-even-one-year-old-cat got hit by a car and died within 5 mins. i DID cry, it was sad, such a short life...he was a really funny cat and he loved to play fight with my other cat, his IDOL, you could tell, and then one day, i se him, hes gone, i wake up, my cats arent play fighting anymore..somehtings been missing ever since...and then 2 day before christmas, my 9 almost 10 year old cat, still very energetic and healthy, had to be put to sleep, cause his kidneys failed..he was meowing so loud that i felt his pain.

a few days before, he mysteriously was meowing REALLY LOUD in the middle of the night. so, we check on him, hes lying down, walking funny, and looks sick, so we figure, he just doesnt feel good, so we let him out. he didnt come back.

we found him 2 days later out front of a neighbor's house, we took him home, and i was really happy he was back, we took him to the vet that night, and that was the last time he was home....we visited him everyday when i got home, but then one day, i was happy cause it was christmas break, "he has to be put to sleep." that was what hurt me most. they said he ate or drank some kind of poison. we never knew......a lot of people on our street feeds him and stuff.... a month after he died we heard bout the poison pet food. and now im thinking that one of my neighbors killed him by accident......at least now charlie and dan get to play again, haha...but still, i miss them. we had a dog this whole time, and i could tell you about 5 years worth of stuff from the times i had only jake and dan, but i wont. jake just turned 5 recently, and dans birthday was 4 days ago, so he woulda had double digits. anyway, jake is fine, energetic shetland sheepdog (mini collie basically). and after christmas, we got a cat that we named morgan, and shes a devil, shes gonna turn one soon too, i hope she makes it >_>, her and charlie woulda been good friends, same personality as each other. she was a lost, a family friend found her outside their house christmas eve, and finally took her in on christmas, and now we have her =) probably a wild cat, but anyways, i give you a lot of sympathies ryno.

DavidNel
May 8, 2007, 08:04 PM
Live, and let die. Hey, at least you saved it from an earilier death at the pet shelter.

Neith
May 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
Durakken, that post you made was sickening. You don't get a pet put down because they're a nuisance. If the pet is genuinely suffering, its usually best to put it out of it's misery. Keeping a suffering pet alive is worse than putting it to sleep. At least putting it to sleep is relatively painless.

I know what it's like to lose a pet- my family's dog, a Labrador had to be put down because of a heart condition. You could tell about a week or so before we decided to put him down that he was suffering, and it hurt more to watch him whining in pain.

I think that coming into this thread and saying that the OP 'coldly killed' their pet is really harsh. I find it pretty sickening that you'd even think that, nevermind post it in public. Seriously, that was totally out of line.

Rainbowlemon
May 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
My cat was put down 3 years ago, when I was 17. She'd been alive since my birth...I feel your pain http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I hope you get through it alright.

Durakken strikes again. My cat was put down because she was dying of old age. There was no cure. She was in pain. We felt like she was not wanting to go on living the way she was, so we did the 'right thing'. You talk about nuking all the people that are suffering - there is HELP for these people. Just not enough money to provide it to everyone, which is why the charities are there in the first place.

Coldly killed them? Have you ever owned a pet? Do you have ANY idea how painful it is emotionally to watch a lifelong companion in pain, slowly dying due to old age? So NO, it's not hypocritical. And you will follow this up saying 'so the animal died because you were emotionally pained? how nice'. If I was elderly and dying, and in great pain, I would take death over suffering without question.

Please try and think a little longer before you splurt out what's going on in your head.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 10, 2007, 04:31 PM
RIP Rugbee. Its very sad to hear that your dog had to be put down, I believe that animals other than humans have souls too, and I'm sure that losing him must be like losing a member of the family or something.

Dre_o
May 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
I've got a shotgun shell ready for the next bastard who mocks the heartache after losing a close creature like a dog.

I lost a pet in my life time. Mickey the Pug dog. He was an old dog, between 15-16 years old, yet he was NEVER ONCE mean to ANYTHING, hell, bunny rabbits were his FRIEND. I was a little kid when he was put down and I remember crying my way out of the vet's office holding the leash in my hand.

Words cannot describe the loss of something like a very close animal or say your Grandmother, wanna guess why I chose Grandmother.

Seriously, respect the dead because you'll be joining them shortly in the view of the entire world. And hey, If you DON'T want to respect them, I will gladly send you to meet them fairly quickly!

MayLee
May 16, 2007, 11:41 PM
DurakkenX, you just don't understand no matter how hard we try to simplify things.

A lady my mom knew got my puppy from her. The lady's dog had a little of about 5 Dachshound Chihuahuas and one out of five were very ill He was the runt. It had a brain tumar and it's brain was swelling really bad. The buppy couldn't keep down food and it got cold ocasionally so you'd have to keep it wrapped up. it cried often because of the pain it was in and even though the lady hated to do it. she had to put poor Maxamillion down because she didn't want him to suffer any longer. the vets also beleive he would have died on his own which also is pretty sad. So let me ask you. Was the lady such a horrible person? She would have been a horrible person if she kept the dog suffering like that. So let me ask you. Was she wrong to do it?

If your dog was in the same position as Maxamillion, would you put his siffering down or would you let him die by it? Either way, you'd be considered a horrible person.

Weeaboolits
May 16, 2007, 11:59 PM
It makes me sad when puppies die... ;_;

My dog too got put down somewhat recently, but I wasn't there when it happened, I got word of it after the fact. I miss Sammy... ;_;

Also, Durakken, stop being an asshole.

DurakkenX
May 17, 2007, 12:09 AM
Ok since you guys like to say sometimes they are just animals and then at other times bring them to your feelings just like humans consider...when's the last time you've heard of a mother saying, "yeah, put down my kid" when it is dying? Never as far as I know. No matter how sick the child is they do all they can and hope that it makes it through the illness, but never kill it.

As far as what I would do if I had that problem...well all my pets have died naturally, but would I kill a pet if it was suffering. Possibly but not "because I don't want them to suffer" I also may let the puppy try to fight the illness off, no matter how unlikely it is as life is precious, no matter how short or how much suffering comes with it.

Weeaboolits
May 17, 2007, 12:15 AM
You know Durakken, some people do believe in euthanasia...

Also keep in mind that we humans hold ourselves in high regard, and often take offense when refered to as animals, though we may be.

Also, and this applies to all of your posts, just because you think you're right doesn't give you an excuse to act like a jerk. No matter how right you are, there's a thing called etiquitte.

SStrikerR
May 17, 2007, 07:01 AM
technically since its on the internet i think its netiquitte but who cares, durakken, stop being an idiot, yes, we humans dont put ourselves down because usually we have a chance, and medicine WE can use. animals like dogs cant use that medicine, and usually dont have a chance if something like that happened. if lets say dogs could talk, and your dog was lying on a table, screaming at the top of his lungs, and there wasnt a chance for him to live over lets say 5%, would u let him there for days screaming? i didnt think so.

Neith
May 17, 2007, 08:15 AM
On 2007-05-16 22:09, DurakkenX wrote:
Ok since you guys like to say sometimes they are just animals and then at other times bring them to your feelings just like humans consider...when's the last time you've heard of a mother saying, "yeah, put down my kid" when it is dying?

Yeah, its called euthanasia. You never heard of people turning off life support machines? That's essentially the same. Hell, if I was critical on a life support machine, unable to be kept alive without it, I'd hope people would have the decency to turn it off.

I don't know what your problem is Durakken, but it seems every serious topic you post in is a joke or something. You might wanna think about what you've been saying incase you're ever in this kind of situation.

DurakkenX
May 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
We hae a chance because we give ourselves the chance... We kill animals doing experiments so that we humans thrive.

"its called euthanasia." It's also illegal in most places... Ever hear of Dr. Kevorkian? Notice he got thrown in jail?

Neith
May 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
Point is, euthanasia is (if I recall correctly) allowed in some places.

At the end of the day, if something/someone is suffering, it's usually a lot kinder to put them down. If you were in physical agony your entire life, after a while a lot of people would want to take death rather than continue their lives in agony. Admittedly, some people battle against it, but my opinion is that if something is suffering constantly, it's best to put them down rather than sit idly by, watching them writhing in pain for the remainder of their lives.

As for Dr. Kevorkian, my personal opinion is that if someone wants to end their own life, they have every right to. Note the term 'assisted' suicide. He helped them end their lives, yes- but the term assisted generally implies it was a mutual agreement between the two parties.

Just because he got thrown in jail doesn't mean euthanasia is wrong- although in your eyes it appears to be. When someone is suffering an incurable agony, I'll think of you, and how much I disagree with your blunt point of view.

DurakkenX
May 17, 2007, 10:31 AM
Life is an incurable agony...

Sayara
May 17, 2007, 10:34 AM
Turn that frown upside down you.

Solstis
May 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
On 2007-05-17 08:31, DurakkenX wrote:
Life is an incurable agony...

Did you read Generic Personal Philosophies for Dummies?

Life is an incurable agony only if you're too blind to see all the good shit.

3---Hit---U
May 17, 2007, 02:21 PM
On 2007-05-16 22:09, DurakkenX wrote:
Ok since you guys like to say sometimes they are just animals and then at other times bring them to your feelings just like humans consider...when's the last time you've heard of a mother saying, "yeah, put down my kid" when it is dying? Never as far as I know. No matter how sick the child is they do all they can and hope that it makes it through the illness, but never kill it.

As far as what I would do if I had that problem...well all my pets have died naturally, but would I kill a pet if it was suffering. Possibly but not "because I don't want them to suffer" I also may let the puppy try to fight the illness off, no matter how unlikely it is as life is precious, no matter how short or how much suffering comes with it.

That I must say, made me sick for a bit. Thanx alot. think about it from my point of view, do you want your best friend to suffer and then die, or die peacefully and without pain?...

Allos
May 17, 2007, 03:10 PM
On 2007-05-02 23:17, DurakkenX wrote:

You're a fucking moron.

SStrikerR
May 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
seriously durakken, get the hell outta here, and pray none of us find out where u live, or anything like that.

Blitzkommando
May 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
It's always painful to see a family member die. And I must say I feel for you, Ryno.

McLaughlin
May 17, 2007, 07:45 PM
Durakken, you're a blithering idiot. You seriously are THE dumbest person I've ever met. You have the cognitive abilities of a parking meter.

Now, with that out of the way...

My dad's girlfriend has a thing for cats. At one time she had 7. The youngest of which was a white furred, brown-spotted kitten named Dexter. He had been born on a farm (we had two of his siblings as well). One night, while he was sleeping in the barn, a cow crushed the back portion of his body. We took him home anyway because for as long he was comfortable, we would make his life enjoyable. 8 months and 7 days after we brought him home, he started coughing, and he couldn't stop. We rushed him to the vet, where we were told that his liver was failing because of his previous injury. The poor guy never made a peep, but you could see it in his eyes. He was in agony. So, I went home, grabbed his blanket and his pal (it's this little stuffed animal thing that you can warm up by putting it in the microwave) and he was put down the next day.

It was heartbreaking. And I could never expect a person like Durakken to understand how painful it is to watch one of your best friends pass away right in front of you. It was the worst thing I've ever had to watch.

Allos
May 17, 2007, 08:25 PM
On 2007-05-17 17:45, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
You have the cognitive abilities of a parking meter.

This made my day a little brighter.

Retehi
May 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
C'mon guys, no need to be rude.

How do you think the parking meter feels being compared to him? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

darthsaber9x9
May 18, 2007, 07:28 AM
Durakkan, you're a grade A C**t. I would very much like for someone to cure you of your "incurable agony" thats apparently your life. Presumably people are making it an incurable agony for you becuase you're a pretentious know-it-all with a "holier than thou" attitude.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darthsaber9x9 on 2007-05-18 05:29 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
May 18, 2007, 08:31 AM
On 2007-05-18 05:28, darthsaber9x9 wrote:
I would very much like for someone to cure you of your "incurable agony" thats apparently your life.

You all realize if you all keep flaming him he'll do it himself, right?

DurakkenX
May 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
Amazing for how well you read all my posts you would that ^.^ perhaps trying again may help you.

omegapirate2k
May 18, 2007, 08:50 AM
Saying it as only google images can:

http://www.thelookmachine.com/archives/The%20Look%20Machine%20Emo%20Kid.jpg

darthsaber9x9
May 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
On 2007-05-18 06:31, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-05-18 05:28, darthsaber9x9 wrote:
I would very much like for someone to cure you of your "incurable agony" thats apparently your life.

You all realize if you all keep flaming him he'll do it himself, right?

Hah fingers crossed eh? Usually I'd take the time to write something a bit more intelligent but this particular thread made me really angry, it's just the tip of the iceberg as far as this guy goes really.

Mixfortune
May 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately this thread isn't about him.
Though it's also pretty disheartening that this thread had to turn into a battlefield.