PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather Vs. De La Hoya

EphekZ
May 6, 2007, 12:31 AM
Any boxing fans out there? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

well, it was a pretty lame fight IMO. Mayweather took the title but ran the whole time. De La Hoya was verrrrry aggressive but wasn't landing the hits, so he was getting tired while mayweather wasn't. I think De La Hoya deserved the title.

Jehosaphaty
May 6, 2007, 01:49 AM
The problem with modern day boxing is that it costs 54 dollars to watch a damn fight, and that's hoping that you actually get to see something worth watching. Why take the chance on getting a lame fight when you could spend 54 bones on a whole host of enticing alternatives. I heard that the fight was a split decision, a pity in my opinion with a fight of this magnitude when you're hoping for a clear-cut winner, but I will read up on the reviews of the fight tomorrow. Bah, I hate what this sport has become.

hollowtip
May 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
I disagree. it should have been a unanimous decision to Mayweather. While De La Hoya did press the fight, Mayweather was more precise with his punches and he controlled the whole match. If you look at the punch stats, Mayweather landed more than twice as many punches as De La Hoya (Mayweather-43% to De La Hoya-21%). But you have to give credit to The Golden Boy. Mayweather used his usual strategy of distancing himself and it would have been a boring fight if Oscar didn't press.

With that beind said, a lot of the agression that oscar showed in the fight didn't really effect Mayweather. Body shots were blocked and a lot of the flurries didn't land. The crowd also complicated things, getting riled up over empty combos that only added up to weak or missed punches.

Unfortunately, this fight isn't going to resurrect the entire sport, and it's a shame. It's losing out to a highly established UFC organization that's gaining popularity everyday, and with people like Don King leeching away the boxing industry's integrity, I don't think it can ever recover.

I watch both UFC/Pride fighting and boxing, but I just want to go on the record to say that boxing is the superior sport.