PDA

View Full Version : GC: FOmar vs. FOnewm

Glyph
Dec 12, 2002, 03:49 AM
I am very curious what differences there are between a FOmar and a FOnewm. I understand they have a slight difference in stats.

FONewm have slightly more HP, a bit more TP, a bit less ATP, less DFP, more MST, and their EVP is very close. FONewm also have their TP regeneration. And FOmar have their extra material points.

My first questions are does a FONewm's TP regeneration get faster as they get more TP? Getting 1 TP every 6 seconds will be useless once he has around 1500 TP.

My second question is... what ARE material points and does having 125 extra of them make much a difference? What sort of impact do they have.

My third question is... are there any shining differences in stats that make a difference in the gameplay between these two?

I have also read that each has it's own proficiency in a spell area... my next questions are based on this. According to Guyver's list

FOmar:
Gifoie, Gibarta, Gizonde, Grants, Shifta, Deband

FOnewm:
Gifoie, Gibarta, Gizonde, Rafoie, Rabarta, Razonde

Are the benefits in these spells noticable? And what sort of benefits are they. Are FOmar and FOnewm equally proficient in the Gi[foie/barta/zonde]?

If they are equally proficient in them it seems like it is next comparing the increase in Ra[foie/barta/zonde] against increase in Grants, Shifta, and Deband.

Shifta and Deband I know are major spells in groups... is the difference between a level 30 Shifta/Deband from a FOmar and FOnewm noticable?

Also, what are the major differences between the Gi series and the Ra series of spells? I know Ra is higher... but I see often people recommending that Forces use the Gi spells since they conserve more TP. Does this basically cut out the bonus for FOnewms?

And the Grants spell... that is a powerful single target attack, right? Is the increase that valuable?

Also... from what I read Mech Guns are a very nice weapon for Forces. Do the newm or mar have any major differences as far as using them?

Are there any nice items that are only for humans or newmen that would affect a force?

My last question is... what other differences between FOnewm and FOmar are there? I like the way the FOmar looks but it seems people complain about them a lot for not having enough damage output or being too hard in single player.

Rhete
Dec 12, 2002, 04:37 AM
Lotsa questions here, I'll try and answer a few of them

On 2002-12-12 00:49, Glyph wrote:
Are the benefits in these spells noticable? And what sort of benefits are they. Are FOmar and FOnewm equally proficient in the Gi[foie/barta/zonde]?

The benefits are very noticable, especially at higher levels. Since they are multipliers, the more magic power you have, the more effect the boost haves. FOnewm having more MST than FOmar means his Gi techs will be stronger

Shifta and Deband I know are major spells in groups... is the difference between a level 30 Shifta/Deband from a FOmar and FOnewm noticable?

FOmars Shifta and Deband bonus is range only. He'll have double the range, but the effects will be the same for both

Also, what are the major differences between the Gi series and the Ra series of spells? I know Ra is higher... but I see often people recommending that Forces use the Gi spells since they conserve more TP. Does this basically cut out the bonus for FOnewms?

Basically, Gi-techs are slower and more powerful. Ra-techs are faster and have more range, so they're easier to use. Only exception is Gizonde which is very fast

Glyph
Dec 12, 2002, 04:53 AM
Are you sure that MST effects the power of spells? Have been told by a few people thus far that it has no effect on spell power aside from that it allows you to use higher levels of them. Which would be the spells would do about the same damage wise between a FOnewm and a FOmar (aside that FOnewm would do better dmg with the Ra)

Also... which section IDs are good for this sort of charecter? How rare are the spell disks at higher levels... does Pink make that big a difference or should I do Purple for Mech Guns or something else?

Rhete
Dec 12, 2002, 04:56 AM
On 2002-12-12 01:53, Glyph wrote:
Are you sure that MST effects the power of spells?

Yes. MST (and the level of the spell) effects how much damage all attack spells do, and how much resta heals for. It doesn't effect how much atp and dfp shifta and deband add though.

Mechguns do not seem like very good weapons for forces anymore IMO, since you need very high atp and a good amount of ata for them, and only FOmar has the atp, while all forces are lacking in ata

Glyph
Dec 12, 2002, 05:02 AM
The idea for the Mech Guns was for the ones with the nice 1 hit kills or the ones that refill TP. Something for backup when all the TP goes poof. Not much backup perhaps... but would hopefully be enough to be better than nothing.

With MST making a difference in damage... how do FOnewm compare to the FOnewearls? The FOnewearls have higher MST but not the 'specilization' in the gi/ra spells.

CajunSamurai
Dec 12, 2002, 05:43 AM
FOmar get a bonus to Grants? How much of a bonus?

Wow Rhete, you're really an authority on FO! Quick question: How much does MST affect spell damage in this GCN version? In Version 2 my FOnewearl did very little extra damage with out without her super-charged Mind mag, but it does seem to me that MST makes spell damage much more potent this time around. Is that true? And if possible, can you gimme an example?

And I'm curious too: Exactly how fast do FOnewms regen their TP? I've played with a few that have said it regenerates at a really fast rate.
And how does a FOnewm's TP restoration compare with a FOnewearl's?

elfin
Dec 12, 2002, 08:19 AM
Correct me if im wrong... But, doesnt the bonus on Shifta/Deband include how long the spell is in effect?? Think so.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 12, 2002, 09:13 AM
The TP regen of the newmen (Hunny, Fonewm, Fonewearl) starts out pretty slow but it gets much faster as levels start adding up. My Hunny is at 98 and she's regenerating about 2 points per second while she's standing still.

You are obviously deciding between the FO classes. I haven't played a FO yet, but I would think that having more MST and TP regen is better than having more ATA or ATP since FOs are all about techniques. Leave the melee combat to those best suited for it.

Glyph
Dec 12, 2002, 01:14 PM
Llama, definatly should leave melee combat to those classes with the HP, DEF, and EVD to handle it. But ATP and ATA can do quite a lot in the hands of a FOmar or FOmarl. Not near the damage or effect of a RA of course but using it to regain TP or to fire off occaisonal special attacks.

Any high level FOmar or FOmarl currently using a mech gun or hand gun? What sort of hit-rate do you have? Esspecially for a gun that regens TP.

And no clue on the grants bonus... I thought I heard someone mention 1.5 somewhere for FOmarl and I would think that the bonus for Grants would be the same for FOmarl and FOmar. Isn't Grants the most damaging single-target damage spell? Seems like having that bonus would be a very nice perk for a FOmar over a FOnewm.

Mostly I am looking for survivability in off-line solo for my class. But I want to have a lot of fun on-line as well. I just don't want to be forced to socialize when I am in a poor mood.

Lman90245
Dec 12, 2002, 06:00 PM
FOmar's have way higher ATP ALMOST (not quite) as much as a HUmar... I use my lvl 129 FOmar as a hunter with extra MST, in terms of HP I have 2 God/hp's equiped... around 1095 hp for me as a FOmar... so I'm happy, all I need to do now is focus on getting an s-rank sythe and a god/technique.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lman90245 on 2002-12-12 15:07 ]</font>

Foggy_Pete
Dec 12, 2002, 06:21 PM
ok first of all... the FOnewms RA level techs have a power bonus of 1.3% meaning that they do almost a third more damage, for example
say a FOnewm does 150 damage with his tech not including the % bonus..
now
a third of 150 is 50 correct? add that to your FOnewms damage and you get a wopping 50 extra damage bringing your fos damage total to 200
now, tell me if it matters or not?
secondly the speed in which the FOnewm regenerates tp isnt based on how much tp he has its based on level. being level 75 i regen tp at about 1.5 a second and the regening starts the moment i stop
there you go hope i helped

Munki
Dec 12, 2002, 08:54 PM
Hope some of this helps ya as well

On 2002-12-12 00:49, Glyph wrote:

My second question is... what ARE material points and does having 125 extra of them make much a difference? What sort of impact do they have.

Material Points are the number of stat increasing materials you can use... i.e. Power, Def, Mind, Evade Materials

My third question is... are there any shining differences in stats that make a difference in the gameplay between these two?

Most definately. FOmars can actually handle their own in combat (well at least as good as a FO can possibly handle), whereas a FOnewmn will want to stay away from messy physical encounters. The newmn will have more damaging spells, especially with his Gi and Ra boosts. But the mar won't be as dependent on spells, and will be able to do some hefty damage with a melee weapon. basically, mar (and marl too) are more 'all around' FOs where the nemn and newearl are more 'specialized' FOs.

I think that the Gi vs. Ra spell argument is more a matter of taste. I can't stand using the Gi spells, I find the RA spells to be more effective. You can hit quicker, get out of danger quicker, and that to me is invaluable. Gifoie looked good for awhile, but it takes too long to stop the casting of it before you can move. But it's great for fireworks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Also, the Gi and Ra spells won't have a very large TP difference at the high spell levels. Heck, they don't have that big a difference at low levels either (I think Gifoie is 25 and Rafoie is 30 at lvl 1... althought its been awhile since I had that, I could be wrong)

My last question is... what other differences between FOnewm and FOmar are there? I like the way the FOmar looks but it seems people complain about them a lot for not having enough damage output or being too hard in single player.

Style is everything. If you like the way the FOmar looks, you should play him. Trust me. I played a FOnewmn on DC v1, and after 40 levels, I couldn't stand to look at him. Sorry if anyone likes the way that the FOnewmn looks, but he just isn't for me. I ended up sticking with him, but I would seriously look at style. It does count. FOmar is difficult to get started with, but he does become strong later on with his high atp and mst. Both players will have different strengths and ways to play. If you want to be able to attack AND magic, FOmar may be better. And that shifta / deband range boost will be helpful, won't have to cast it multiple times to get your whole party. But if you wanna play a powerful black mage type character, go with the FOnewmn. He can get some high damage output to multiple enemies with his spells. He is also the only char to get RA spell bonuses (the humans share bonuses with some of the other forces, but I think newmn is the only with RA, and newearl is the only with Simple boost).

My 2 OooKs.

Glyph
Dec 13, 2002, 02:07 AM
Decided after quite a bit of help to go with a FOnewm named Glyph. Taking up Redria as my section ID for a fairly balanced selection of rares.

Will be working up a bit slowly... if any perchance have a nice lil handgun and/or cane they don't need or pick one up from one of the stores would definatly make my lower levels much less painful! A normal handgun with nice +s and an alright special would be to drool over.