PDA

View Full Version : PSO 2 on PS2

Serge
Feb 26, 2001, 01:32 PM
Don't you think PSO 2 would be great on the PS2?
You know, the PS2 have a lot more power than the dreamcast so you can have lots of enemies and players (8+ hum) on screen.
As the PS2 console number rises every day , a very big online RPG community will exist.

I WANT FFXI WITH A SUMMONER CLASS AS OPTION FOR THE CARACTER!!!!!!.... sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

myau1
Feb 26, 2001, 01:46 PM
Technically speaking yes the PS 2 is more powerful but the DC's graphics are better becase of better anit-aliasing. PSO 2 will be on the DC though. I would rather see Phantasy Star move to the Game Cube. The DC could handle all this stuff that we all keep yelling about but Sega was in a hurry to put the game out, so it's possible that some of that stuff might end up in PSO 2. I hope so!!! More levels and an ending please!

Serge
Feb 26, 2001, 01:58 PM
If you see the 92 mb Metal Gear 2 demo you'll understand what I mean.....

ninvampire
Feb 26, 2001, 02:22 PM
I've been bouncing this thought around in my head mainly because I think the dual shock is a superior controller (especially for how dynamic the controls are for PSO) However, the only real obsticle would be the fact that there isn't a modem packed in with the PS2. This makes PSO2 more suited for DC imo.

Eugirdor
Feb 26, 2001, 03:46 PM
I think the 4 player limit has more to do with the 56k modem then it does with the power od the DC.

MB
Feb 26, 2001, 03:56 PM
honestly I think that PSO2 would work better on the Xbox... The hard drive would allow the downloading of patches to stop cheaters adn the like, not to mention would have much more reliable character saves.
MBlaster

RyoGeo
Feb 26, 2001, 04:11 PM
I agree woth you totally MB. In my mind, the X-Box looks to be the next best console for the avid Sega gamer. Believe me when I say, I am NO Sony hater. I have a ton of stuff for my PS1. However, Sony really screwed the pooch with the PS2 in my opinion. In my mind, it all comes down to RAM and the PS2 doesn't have NEARLY enough. The X-Box has a ton, plus the fact that the hard drive will allow nearly instant access to even more data.

The 'Cube looks promising, but suffice it to say, I hope Sega gets their deal inked with Microsoft soon. The X-box looks to be put together in the best way possible for game developers get the GAME done the way they want instead of wasting their time trying to figure out how to get something done through some kind of memory management technique.

I usually buy the latest everything, but have thus far totally skipped on the PS2. There just isn't anything on it yet that seems good enough to warrant purchase.

As for PSO2 on the DC, sounds GREAT to me. For my money, there wouldn't even have to be improvements in the graphics one little bit (with the possible exception of more diverse character design). PSO as it is, is a BEAUTIFUL game. If we get the stuff we want (trade mngmnt, more levels, more char choices, more engrossing story,etc...), make it DC all the way.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: RyoGeo on 2001-02-26 13:14 ]</font>

MilkManX
Feb 26, 2001, 05:08 PM
Id have to say Xbox also. I think it will be on DC though.

Jaiden
Feb 26, 2001, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see PSO-2 for the X-Box. Built in hard drive, internet capability, easier to program, etc.. It just makes more sense.

Besides that, how you do a game like PSO-2 with only 4MB of video ram? I believe Dreamcast has 7MB of usable texture space while the PS2 only has 3MB. Hahah that would be so UGLY!!

RyoGeo
Feb 26, 2001, 05:50 PM
You have crystalized me thoughts eloquently, Jaiden. You can have all the processor power you want (and the Emotion engine is quite a powerful chip), but without the RAM to back it up, you may as well be playing a Gameboy title. Ok, a little over the top, but any one of the coming next gen machines (including DC) can/will handle both 2d and texture mapping infinitely better than the PS2. I say that with disappointment as well, as I would have gladly purchased a PS2 had the right titles and capabilities been there. As it is, I am still playing the, "show me something worthwhile,' waiting game.

DCKaz
Feb 26, 2001, 05:56 PM
The best spot for PSO to show up though?

On my DC. Period. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, the bandwidth is the 4player limit, but the fact is modem is still much more common then broadband. It would be nice to see Sega actually properly put broadband in PSO2 rather than have the BBA people struggle.

I don't get the PS2 for PSO nor VF4. It's tougher to program for, and not as powerful (sorry, the emotion engine hype didn't pan out) - there's a reason why adventure games are scarce and some games look worse on it. Also obviously, no pack in modem. Go watch a movie.

Xbox and Cube have potential, but I have a great system that goes online now, and look forward to PSO2 on my DC.

DCKaz
Terra Prime 48 FOmarl

Jaiden
Feb 26, 2001, 06:13 PM
The PS2 is like a door knob 2 feet off the ground. Its a bookshelf with only 1 shelf. Its like a television with only 1 station.

What was Sony thinking!

MunKEE
Feb 26, 2001, 06:18 PM
Xbox would seem to be a great system to put a PSO game on. All the stuff is there, and maybe they could support LAN? Think about it... PSO LAN parties... =-)

I waited for the PS2 (as I was the designated 'get it guy' at work) and I am very unhappy... yes SSX is fun, but it is hard for 1 game to hold up a system. Funny enough tho, I actually am enjoying Dynasty Warriors 2... it is a good distraction when I need to take a quick breather from PSO.

FishHead
Feb 26, 2001, 06:26 PM
I think PSO should stay on Dreamcast because PS2's are a big pile of SHIT! Yeah they might have more power but why give PS2 owners the chance to play on one of the best games I've ever played.

-----------

The PS2 won't be internet ready for ages yet, so what's the point of PSO2 on PS2?

FishHead
Feb 26, 2001, 06:27 PM
I think PSO should stay on Dreamcast because PS2's are a big pile of SHIT! Yeah they might have more power but why give PS2 owners the chance to play on one of the best games I've ever played.

-----------

The PS2 won't be internet ready for ages yet, so what's the point of PSO2 on PS2?

myau1
Feb 26, 2001, 06:32 PM
Yep PS2 is like having a 10 gig Pentium and only running 64 megs of RAM! LOL Gotta run at least 512. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

hollowtip
Feb 26, 2001, 08:06 PM
The game would be just fine for the PS2. So what if there is limited ram. There are ways in getting around these problems. The only thing the X-box has over the PS2 is power and money. A hard Drive will be sold seperatley with PS2 so PS2 could take advantage of the possibilities of patching and updates. And why are you guys hating on PS2? it's still early in the consoles life, you guys act like it's been out for years. The X-box aint even coming out until at least one more year at the earliest.

Jihatsu
Feb 26, 2001, 09:45 PM
Okay, so how about this:

SegaNet is going to all platforms.

So what if PSO2 was cross-platform? PSO broke barriers by being cross-language.. perhaps Yuji's getting those ideas again.. "Gotta beat myself.. gotta beat my own record.."

Hey, it would be cool. But hell to program.

Mengy
Feb 27, 2001, 09:49 AM
PSO2 will be on DC, it is a done deal. The main reason is that PSO1 was on DC, so they have the core game done already. All they have to do is add more character variation, levels, items, and monsters, tweak the graphics engine and network code a little. There you go, PSO2 is done.

Playstation 2 could handle the game, but it would take a complete re-coding of the engine, very time consuming. Plus, the PS2 has no modem, a feature that is KEY to PSO2. We may eventually see a version of this game on another system, but the next version will be on the DC.

Azra_el
Feb 27, 2001, 11:43 AM
well...the way i see it, broadband is not readily available everywhere in the world, and so for pso2 to be a worldwide game like pso is now, it would have to still be made primarily for dial-up connections, which is practically available to everyone. although adding in the code for those with broadband adapters would be a nice improvement. the ps2 does not currently offer an internet connection (not counting 3rd party unlicensed peripherals), dial-up or broadband. so unless sony gets their act together soon, games that are meant to be multiplayer online (such as unreal tournament) will be forced to become offline games. so the idea of pso2 for the ps2 is out of the question. sega on the otherhand, has all the hardware and infrastructure already set up for pso2. just some tweaking of the servers and getting all the bugs out of the current system is all the really needs to be done. but wouldn't it be great if pso2 was made for ALL the different systems (dreamcast, ps2, xbox, and gamecube), and it was left up to us (the consumers) to decide which platform we wanted it for, and would still be able to play with others who had the game but for another system. man, can't wait to see that day come.