PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn: Such Fond Memories

Sapphire87
Dec 13, 2002, 12:02 AM
That poor little black console sitting in my closet, all lonely and forgotten...well, maybe not forgotten. Sega may have screwed it up marketing wise, but the Saturn was one of those game systems you come to appreciate more over time. While it's 3-D capabilites were inferior to the Playstation's, the Saturn was far superior in handling 2-D. And Sega had the forsight to include built in memory to save games (albeit small as it was), online capability, and RAM upgrade capability. That RAM upgrade allowed Capcom to port over some of the finest arcade perfect 2-D fighters ever (X-Men vs. Street Fighter anyone?). My favorite Saturn games were in no particular order:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Manx TT
Sega Rally
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Christmas Nights
House of the Dead
Virtua Cop
World Series Baseball
Panzer Dragoon
Vitua Fighter 2

Just because a game console didn't sell well doesn't mean it wasn't a great system. I know there were a lot of faults with the Saturn and while it didn't even come close to having the number of games that the Playstation had, the overall quality of the games was unquestionable. So many great memories. And no, I'm not a Sega Fangirl. I've owned many consoles. I just wanted to share my thoughts and memories of all the fun I've had on a system that everyone has seemed to have forgotten. So feel free to share your thoughts, good or bad, on this underappreciated console.

RuneLateralus
Dec 13, 2002, 01:37 AM
It was a great system that I missed out on.

I had to get one used (for only $20!), but I did some catching up. I got Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force (God, that was expensive), Magic Knight Rayearth, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Darius Gaiden, and Fighting Vipers...the other games are not that great...just cheap ones I find at a store that sells used ones for real cheap.

LostHero
Dec 13, 2002, 02:05 AM
Indeed, they had the best marketing campaign I've ever seen (in reference to Segata Sanshiro) and some of the funnest games ever (dragon force pwned). If you remember Sega Saturn was actually selling more than PS before Square jumped ship...

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Dec 13, 2002, 02:15 AM
Mine is still hooked up and ready to go whenever the need to play Guardian Heroes (0wnz j00.. period)or any of the Capcom fighters hits. ^_^

Yeah, the Saturn was actually in the lead until around the time news of Final Fantasy VII leaked. :/

Mazarin
Dec 13, 2002, 02:18 AM
It's all about Guardian Heroes. That was a great game.

And, of course, this is where I began my love for Dead or Alive...

Alielle
Dec 13, 2002, 02:47 AM
"My soul burns with the holy desire to SMASH YOUR FACE!!!!" Ah, lovely Dragon Force. NiGHTS, Virtual On, Panzer Dragoon 2 and Magic Knight Rayearth were great, too. (Heh, also traded off my dumb Sailor Moon SuperS game for Dracula X.) I was kind of poor back in Saturn's day (hence the short list), but Larkin has a bunch of Capcom imports and stuff that I borrow regularly. And it still has the coolest CD player. I used it to make Michael Jackson sound normal. Good times.

Poor, poor Saturn. It deserved a better fate.

Eum
Dec 13, 2002, 06:32 AM
Shining Force III was probably among the top games released for the Sega Saturn. It's a shame so many people missed out on it.

Gryph
Dec 13, 2002, 07:46 AM
On 2002-12-12 23:18, Mazarin wrote:
It's all about Guardian Heroes. That was a great game.

And, of course, this is where I began my love for Dead or Alive...

DAMN STRAIT!

Best damn beat em up ever made. Arena mode was the best.

Kent
Dec 13, 2002, 08:08 AM
Panzer Dragoon Saga...

Dammit, Sega, give me a sequel/remake! That, NiGHTs, and Shining the Holy Ark are some of the best games I've ever played.

Ahh... those were the days...

Maybe they'd be willing to do a bunch of ports over to Xbox or something, because the RAM port on my Saturn doesn't work half the time, and it's internal battery is dead (but that can be replaced). Other than that, it still works perfectly (no disc reading, power, heat, video, or audio malfunctions).

Nidarrock
Dec 13, 2002, 11:44 AM
Ahhh yes such fond memories with the Saturn. I still have mine hooked up and ready to rock N roll. I also think that it has one of the coolest CD player interfaces EVER!!!! I liked the ship flying by the screen. In my mind the best games on the system starts with the Panzer Dragoon series. I still remember the first time I played the original. At the time the intro was amazing, well it still is, and the music just yanked me in for good. Of cousre dragons are always cool so riding one was great! PD Saga is still my favorite RPG to date, rivialed only by Morrowind. I wish I had better competition on Virtual On though, I handed all my friend's asses to them. Ok here is my list of favs:

Panzer Dragoon Series
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Dragon Force
Dracula X(import)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (import)
Vampire Savior (import)
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Skeleton Warriors (great soundtrack!!!)
NiGHTS
Virtual On
Virtua Fighter 2
Radiant Silvergun

Well I'll stop there. I think I might pop some of these games in when I get home. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Alielle
Dec 13, 2002, 03:38 PM
You have Radiant Silvergun? I'm jealous!!

Deathscythealpha
Dec 13, 2002, 05:22 PM
Some of friends wont listen to me that the Saturn was a good system, but more fool them. Ive actually played on my Saturn more this week then any other console (thanks to Sonic Jam and Dabra's Gaming music thread).

Im lucky that ive been able to get alot of the good games for the Saturn through foolish pricing by my local games shop. The new guy there put a virtually brand new copy of Virtual On on the shelve for 3.99!!! I bet he got into trouble for that with his boss, but i was happy. The most ive had to spend out is 25 pounds for The House of the Dead, but ive only seen one other copy of that in there in 5 years. I also got Christmas NiGHTS there for 50p.

Other good games ive got on the Saturn;

Sonic Jam
Fighting Vipers
Virtua Fighter 1 and 2
Virtua Cop 1 and 2 (and an enforcer lightgun for these cost me 1 pound!)
Fighters Megamix
Burning Rangers
Bust-a-Move 2 and 3
Panzer Dragoon 2
Guardian Heroes (how many endings to this game?!)
Duke Nukem
Quake
Resident Evil

I love my Saturn, shame that i think the lasers starting to go (has some loading problems now)

MilkManX
Dec 13, 2002, 05:36 PM
Yup. Try your Saturn with S-Video! Man it is near RGB quality! Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Night Warriors! Guardian Hero's! So many good games.

Vitamin_D
Dec 13, 2002, 11:22 PM
Still got my Saturn and play it regularly. Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3 (all three sceanrios)and Dragon Force probably get the most time out of me. And I got the three Panzer Dragoons, SFA 1&2, X Men and Marverl Super SHeroes VS. Street Fighter, Night warriors, Nights, Magic Knight Rayearth, Virtua Fighter 2, Both Virtua Cops, Virtual On, Marvel Superheroes, Mega Man 8 and X4 (8's actually a better version than the PSX one.) Sonic Jam, Burning Rangers, Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers...and what else...I don't remember! I love my saturn!

Hayato_Kenzaki
Dec 14, 2002, 12:51 AM
Yes, the great Sega Saturn. If your an anime fan the Sega Saturn is the no. 1 console for you. I love my Sega Saturn I still play at least once a day playing Sakura Wars or some of my other japanese import games http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Theses are all of my Sega Saturn games I have:

Sakura Wars (one of my most fav RPG's)
Sakura Wars 2 (one of my most fav RPG's)
El Hazard: Magnificent World
Virtual On
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter 2
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Sonic R
Sonic 3D Blast
Nights Into Dreams
Astal
VR Racing
Tomb Raider
Bug
NHL 98
Xtreme Basketball
Resurrection: Rise 2

Games I Want:
Shining Force (all of 'em)
Wachenroder
Dragonforce
Rest of the Sakura Wars games
Wizard Harmony
Burning Rangers
Azel
Panzer Dragoon

May be some more, but thats all I can think of of the top of my head. Sega Saturn rox! Probly my first or second fav system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hayato_Kenzaki on 2002-12-13 21:56 ]</font>

SorceressofTime
Dec 14, 2002, 04:23 AM
aaaah the memories of the saturn. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif i still love the system and will never forget it. hehe. it was the first console i played resident evil on. hehehe.

RuneLateralus
Dec 14, 2002, 11:48 PM
On 2002-12-13 21:51, Hayato_Kenzaki wrote:
El Hazard: Magnificent World

*becomes intrigued*

Is it any good, because if it is...I might try to see if I can check it out...

I would love to have Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III...but I do not have the money to buy them off eBay...especially since PDS runs about $150 for one copy...

Hayato_Kenzaki
Dec 15, 2002, 02:08 AM
Yeh, its good. Its a RPG, im about halfway through it, it has anime cutscenes and all. Its in Japanese though, but there is a walkthrough for it, not a translation, just a walkthrough.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Dec 15, 2002, 03:55 AM
I used to LOVE playing:

Fighters Megamix - BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER
Virtua Fighter Remix
Battle Arena Toshiden
SCUD
NiGHTS - Most favorite game of all time
Sonic Jam - Gots to have the old skool
Fighting Vipers

And you could save shit ON THE SYSTEM! You didn't have to go spen $30 on a memory card....man those were the days.

Vitamin_D
Dec 15, 2002, 02:29 PM
On 2002-12-15 00:55, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:

Fighters Megamix - BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER

Oh yeah, I got that game too! What made it REALLY cool is the secret characters...like Janet (Virtua Cop), Bean (From Sonic The Fighters), Rent A Hero, and Hornet (Daytona USA car XD) also, the VF characters had their Virtua Fighter 3 Moves. It's a hella fun game.