PDA

View Full Version : malware/virus?

DurakkenX
May 16, 2007, 03:34 AM
about a week ago my grandpa called me telling me something popped up saying that it was new download for windows XP... He DLed it and boom the graphic driver got messed up (4bit color and really really low resolution), it erased adaware, adobe acrobat, and i think spybot, it also deleted SNmaster.idx and the files in that folder in AOL 9.0... and it also changed the homepage on the IE browser, but left mozilla alone.

So...
first tried a restore to before he DLed whatever he did and that did nothing

reinstalled the graphic driver and it got fixed.

tried to replace the SNmaster.idx file in AOL and it semi worked, but not where i wanted it so I reinstalled that.

reinstalled the other 3 programs...

however i left the IE page alone as he never even clicks that and noone else does either that uses it, cept me and i know enough not to do what it says.

And then something struck me as odd yesterday. I turned off auto update (cuz i like to know what goes on on that PC cuz i always have to fix it) and it's constantly popping up with "install winxp SP2" it has a starlike symbol and when i did click on it took me to the real windows page...

I know SP2 messes up peoples' PCs but I also know that the programs effected and how they were effected SP2 does not do.

So anyone heard of a virus/malware program that does this and how to fix it... rather than just patch it. neither of my adaware/spybot programs fixed it and i really don't want my grandpa to click on something and get ripped off... again... while just adding to the problems already there.