PDA

View Full Version : classical music apreciation

DurakkenX
May 21, 2007, 04:20 PM
I wonder just how many people actually like classical music. I noticed more of the 20-30 crowd liked classical music far more than I would say many of the living former generations. (Our grandparents liked big band, not classical for the most part)

I hated being forced to play it when I was younger, but now I've been thinking about retaking up the piano or violin again...I never hated the music nor the instruments...just the forced aspect of it.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 04:23 PM
I actually wanted to have Ode to Joy as my ringtone, but I didn't have enough money on my phone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Blitzkommando
May 21, 2007, 04:27 PM
Actually my grandparents (and parents) love classical and did so when they were young as well.

Myself, I like Ride of the Valkyries and Moonlight Sonata amongst slews of other classical bits. I think part of the resurgance is that so many games have long instrumental numbers in them (or have been converted to orchestral format such as the Orchestral Game Concerts and the various Final Fantasy collections).

FOAtHeart
May 21, 2007, 04:27 PM
I am a violinist, and I eat, sleep, and breathe classical music. I think for non-musicians it's hard to get into because there is a lot you have to understand first. Not to mention the "not-cool" factor.

Quick summary but I don't have time for large-scale discussions about classical music. I HAVE PRACTICING TO DO!

EDIT: it kind of bothers me when people say they enjoy classical music like some sort of affectation. as if they are entertaining it as a curiosity and don't really appreciate or understand the music. then again, I am kind of a snob, elitist, what have you. it's hard to look at classical music from a "normal person's" point of view if you have such a personal relationship with it as a musician as I do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2007-05-21 14:29 ]</font>

DurakkenX
May 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
it could also have something to do with we have access to them a lot easier and our interactive media allows us to play with them a lot more.

Solstis
May 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
I listened to Bach asa child when I went to sleep, and used to play the piano. I stopped, and now I no as smart.

:/

Banish
May 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
I listen to Mozart/Bach when I was little...I still do today, but not as much.

NPCMook
May 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
http://www.illwillpress.com/cell.html

On Topic - I do enjoy my fair share of the classics... to bad most of the younger generation listen to My Chemical Romance, and the such...

Scales_of_Air
May 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
On 2007-05-21 14:27, FOAtHeart wrote:
I am a violinist clarinetist/pianist, and I eat, sleep, and breathe classical music. I think for non-musicians it's hard to get into because there is a lot you have to understand first. Not to mention the "not-cool" factor.

Quick summary but I don't have time for large-scale discussions about classical music. I HAVE PRACTICING TO DO!

EDIT: it kind of bothers me when people say they enjoy classical music like some sort of affectation. as if they are entertaining it as a curiosity and don't really appreciate or understand the music. then again, I am kind of a snob, elitist, what have you. it's hard to look at classical music from a "normal person's" point of view if you have such a personal relationship with it as a musician as I do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2007-05-21 14:29 ]</font>

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mewn
May 23, 2007, 05:18 AM
I like it. I think that listening to it in my room or whatever wouldn't do it justice though, better to go to a concert and hear it as it is supposed to be heard - live.

Rainbowlemon
May 23, 2007, 06:57 AM
I love classical music. I don't really have that wide a collection though...I used to have loads, but my mum sold a load of it off because she thought I wouldn't want it -_-

I adore Enya, too. Does she count?

Sayara
May 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Franck or the goose gets it.

Sonata in A for Flute/Piano is godly. Or we can listen to Schuenberg (sp?) instead.

A-tonal nonsense ftw

Jive18
May 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
While I enjoy classical music, I simply do not listen to it as much as I'd like to. My favorite piece of the genre (from what I have heard) is Sonata Claro de Luna.

BlueDagger
May 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think I'd enjoy classical music. I just don't know anything, and even if I did, right now I can't afford to be buying any music(gotta' get me that Super Smash Bros!).
I do, however, have Orff's Carmina Burana... That's classical!

As for it being not-cool, I don't believe that. That people who overuse the word "cool" so much as to say such a thing, are, in fact, the ones who are not-cool. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DurakkenX
May 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
you guys realize that classical music is used in older cartoons right?

Ma_Navu
May 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
I do enjoy a fair share of classical tunes from time to time, but I personally love rearranged pieces. For example, Canon in D; it's a decent song on it's own in my opinion, but a guitarist known as JerryC practically recreated the song into an up-beat metal tune.

Although not classical, there's also a song played on the piano by a pianist named Dhsu, called "Clockwork Vampire." It's a complicated remix of two songs from the Castlevania series. Due to this guy's expertise, I'd decided to take up the piano. And by expertise, I mean, he plays the song with a paper bag over his head. I now know how to play the Tetris theme and the Underwater theme of Super Mario Bros.