PDA

View Full Version : Pirates 3

NPCMook
May 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
Being a projectionist I get to see movies slightly in advance before most people... so just a heads up sit till the end of the credits for Pirates 3

DizzyDi
May 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
SO HOW ABOUT A REVIEW?

NPCMook
May 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
Oh I haven't actually watched it yet... I was putting it together and noticed stuff at the end of the movie while I was putting on my final Cues

DizzyDi
May 22, 2007, 10:01 PM
WHAT GOOD ARE YOU TO US THEN?

NPCMook
May 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
The fact that you would have probably walked out when the credits started rolling if I hadn't of said anything http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ands its a 3 hours movie... I'm sure you would have bolted for that door the moment the credits began rolling

Dre_o
May 22, 2007, 10:12 PM
YOU PHAIL!!! MY MOVIE REVIEWS ARE ALWAYS THE MOMENT I GET HOME!!

Anyways, do tell. We must hear.

BlueDagger
May 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
What's a movie theater? Oh, I remember:

*cell phone rings*

*baby cries*

*people getting up to go to the restroom*

*fat school kids being idiots*

*another cellphone*

No thank you, I'll wait for PayPerView...

foamcup
May 22, 2007, 10:52 PM
I always sit to the end of the credits. If I'm with people, I just tell them to go wait for me in the lobby. That nice little twist at the end of X-Men 3? Saw that, it was awesome. My cousin left, and I didn't say a thing about it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

UnderscoreX
May 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Johnny Depp is so dreammy ^_^

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 23, 2007, 01:03 AM
On 2007-05-22 22:38, UnderscoreX wrote:
Johnny Depp is so dreammy ^_^

Amazing how his beard is so perfect as a pirate without many grooming options.

I had a playoff beard going that was less Baron Davis and more Johnny Depp, except there's no way to make your face look like mister pirate over there.

omegapirate2k
May 23, 2007, 08:56 AM
Just like pirates 2, eh?

Thanks for the heads up mook.

Jive18
May 23, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yep, ty as well.

I'm actually looking forward to 3 hours of Pirates; after you marathon The Lord of the Rings Extended 4 times, everything else is a drop in the bucket http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

ljkkjlcm9
May 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
all of the pirates movies have had something after the credits.... why would this one be any different?

THE JACKEL

Jehosaphaty
May 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
On 2007-05-22 23:03, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
I had a playoff beard going that was less Baron Davis and more Johnny Depp, except there's no way to make your face look like mister pirate over there.

You manly man Haya. Baron Davis' beard could defeat a small army. I wish I could grow a zztop beard, but alas, a smoothish face.

NPCMook
May 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
On 2007-05-22 20:19, BlueDagger wrote:
What's a movie theater? Oh, I remember:

*cell phone rings*

*baby cries*

*people getting up to go to the restroom*

*fat school kids being idiots*

*another cellphone*

No thank you, I'll wait for PayPerView...

This is why you should look for a theater like mine, or the Alamo, not sure how it works at Alamo, but for us no children under 5... Decent space between rows so there is a large lack of the teenage girl plopping her smelly flip flop feet right next to your head...

The reason for our theater having such spacious rows is because for ever 2 seats there is a small table in which to enjoy your food on(thats right no lap tables for you!) you simply order your food and a server will gladly bring it to you... did I mention we also have a full bar? Because we all know there are those movies that just make you want some liquor!

These are the types of theaters you should keep an eye out for, some are probably run better or worse. For most of my friends they say its a much more enjoyable experience because it lacks the snot nosed teens who work at AMC, and Cinemarks.

Jehosaphaty
May 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
Last time I was in a theater was for Distrubia, and apparently I disturbed a very large, bald gentleman with a slight anger problem. Cat thought I was kicking his seat and turned around and yelled about throwing down right here and now. I didn't have much to say other than chill out brosef...Come to find out, guy next to me ended up being the one doing the kicking. He apologized to me after the movie for the ruckus.

amtalx
May 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
I am most definitely not looking forward to this. My wife will be dragging my bloodied corpse out Friday night to see it though. She likes Orlando Bloom despite the fact that he looks like a chick.

DikkyRay
May 24, 2007, 05:09 PM
My paper is retarded (newspaper that is)
SAid that Pirates 3 was 3 hours of pure suck.
Im thinking about hunting this guy down

DonRoyale
May 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
High expectations for me, I think it'll be one of, if not the best movie of the year.

And looking about three months in the future, that's really saying something http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

TheOneHero
May 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
Saw it Wednesday night at the Employee Screening, I enjoyed it.

I say, go see it. And....

Lol, Pirates 4 and 5.

DizzyDi
May 25, 2007, 09:11 AM
I told you guys that 6 Pirate movies were planned.

NPCMook
May 25, 2007, 10:52 AM
On 2007-05-25 06:54, TheOneHero wrote:

Lol, Pirates 4 and 5.

Wow... your company must pay quite a bit for employee screenings... because as far as I know it goes against theater contracts for people other than projectionist to be viewing movies a few days early

TheOneHero
May 25, 2007, 11:26 AM
On 2007-05-25 08:52, NPCMook wrote:

On 2007-05-25 06:54, TheOneHero wrote:

Lol, Pirates 4 and 5.

Wow... your company must pay quite a bit for employee screenings... because as far as I know it goes against theater contracts for people other than projectionist to be viewing movies a few days early

Well, see. How it works is:

The movies arrive in pieces, we put it together ourselves, and then they show the movie that night (usually Wednesdays) to make sure the movie works/they put it together correctly/etc. etc.

We call this, "technical screening" or "employee screening". You can't bring in friends though, unless you wanna lose your job. >_>;;

But that doesn't stop some people from sneaking in friends, as least for movies that aren't "major".

Another downside is the screenings usually start way after the theatre closes and you don't get out until 2-3 in the morning. XD

Jehosaphaty
May 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
Bloody unfortunate really: what started out rather brooding careened off into blah...Ugh. Spoilers perhaps, read it at your own risk.

The opening scene was gold, very dark, nice atmosphere. (Although the pirate singing was a bit comical due to some of the looks on the extras' faces) From there things went a bit downhill for me. The movie just seemed all over the place. The 9 pirate lords was a stretch: they could have done with like 5.

Orlando Bloom played much better I thought in this than the 2nd movie, and it helped that he didn't have overkill screen time. Johnny Depp got a bit old hatish, especially with the weird multiple version scenes of him. Keira Knightley once again got annoying about 8 minutes in: the charmy tomboyishness from the first movie was gone, and in its place rose some kind of wanna-be-hard-ass girl. The real travesty was how little they used Keith Richards as Sparrow's dad. He was so badass that I wish his part would have been more than just a cameo.

For me, overall, it was a decent movie; the visuals were beautiful, but it certainly was a let down in overall atmosphere and vision. And of course they let the door wide open for a fourth film.

Also, don't get conned into waiting around after the credits. They're long as hell and the extra video is so inconsequential that it's really not even worth the wasted time.

AzureBlaze
May 26, 2007, 01:41 AM
Obviously the whole thread is a spoiler alarm. I try not to give anything away.

I would say yes to waiting after the credits, or having someone spoil it for you.
You might be able to guess what it is, but with everyone in the whole movie doublecrossing the hell out of everyone else, you have to see it to be sure.

Are they doing 6 of these for real?

If so, staying after would be of importance.

I really enjoyed it also, but found it vaguely annoying that 99% of everyone in it was "bad" in some way. There were just varying degrees of badness. In the 2nd one, only Will Turner came out clean. But now...the only one who does is 1st mate and Mr Cotton. (not even Cottons' parrot!) I mean, I don't mind at all 'flawed characters' who make mistakes and see the error of their ways or otherwise make amends. This is a good thing. But everyone here is just gleefully ruining everyone elses' life or trying to get eachother killed one way or another.

And then when something deadly is actually THREATENING to happen, everyone who was previously "rooting for a chardeath" acts all "O NOES DANGER WILL ROBI--turner" like it was something they didn't all have on their minds from the get-go.

However...the movie is done well enough that you can't really raise up the hatin' on everyone to not like it. (Usually when there is no actual good guy or protagonist of some sort, the story can feel pointless or lost...because it just looks like a bunch of criminals beating eachother down for no particular reason.) This does not seem to fall into that trap.

There is definitely sequel-material here, though (due to 2 plot points). But is this a boon or a worry?

Weeaboolits
May 26, 2007, 01:45 AM
On 2007-05-24 15:09, DikkyRay wrote:
My paper is retarded (newspaper that is)
SAid that Pirates 3 was 3 hours of pure suck.
Im thinking about hunting this guy downYou actually read to those reviews, Dicky? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

darthsaber9x9
May 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
Saw it last night and I thought it was a great film! A bit OTT at times but it isn't a documentary anyway. Definetly worth seeing.

ShadowDragon28
May 26, 2007, 06:44 AM
It was pretty good.

Much better than 2 (2 was an 7.9 out of 10 IMO)

I give PotC 3:At World's End a 9 out of 10.
The first film is still the best IMO.

sorry for the off-topic of thread rant:

Word of warning.. don't go to see "Invisible"; the director and editor got a major case of stupid and ruined the film by giving away everything in the first 30 min of the movie completely taking away any mystery that it should of had.

They trashed a awesome premise for a story by turning it into a crappy sub-par "teen thriller" with mega-agnst! The trailers were VERY misleading in a *bad* way.

It was like a really horrid copycat of some filler episode of "Smallvile" and I *like* Smallville.

Only Emo kids will like "Invisible", I could not of cared less for it. I'm sorry I spent money to see it.
The Frighteners was vastly better, heck " 23 " the suspense-triller with Jim Carey was vastly better!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-05-26 04:46 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
May 26, 2007, 10:41 AM
I saw Pirates 3 last night in a truly digital format. Theater offered both, but we opted for the better format. All I can say is WOW! That was one INCREDIBLE movie and ending to a trilogy. FAR better than Shrek 3 and INFININATLY better than that piece of crap called Spiderman 3. Thank god I didn't waste my money on that film.

amtalx
May 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
I guess I'm alone...I thought it sucked....

NPCMook
May 26, 2007, 05:43 PM
On 2007-05-25 09:26, TheOneHero wrote:
Well, see. How it works is:

The movies arrive in pieces, we put it together ourselves, and then they show the movie that night (usually Wednesdays) to make sure the movie works/they put it together correctly/etc. etc.

We call this, "technical screening" or "employee screening". You can't bring in friends though, unless you wanna lose your job. >_>;;

But that doesn't stop some people from sneaking in friends, as least for movies that aren't "major".

Another downside is the screenings usually start way after the theatre closes and you don't get out until 2-3 in the morning. XD

Ha ha okay, yeah I know about that... just prey the film companies don't find out...

Moo2u
May 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
On 2007-05-25 23:41, AzureBlaze wrote:
But everyone here is just gleefully ruining everyone elses' life or trying to get eachother killed one way or another.

I'd like to point out an important fact. They're pirates!

I came in not expecting much, and was pleasently surprised. Lots of the plot points were complicated, and with the amount of betrayel in the film it can be a little complicated, but all the characters were still as interesting as ever, and everything fell into place quite well. The visuals, again were great, and frankly I don't think anyone did a poor job acting. (There were some better then others, but nothing that was unbarable.) Overall a great popcorn flick. It was three hours, but it kept me entertained for all of it. It isn't the best movie I've seen this movie season (hello Hot Fuzz!) but it's a close second.

And Keith Richards is made of pure awesome.

Kent
May 26, 2007, 09:08 PM
So who wants to spoil the after-credits stuff for those of us who were unable to sit in the theater any longer, due to physical pain caused by a combination of the theater seats and a broken tailbone?

DizzyDi
May 27, 2007, 03:18 AM
SO I just finished watching Pirates thanks to the wonders of the internet.
I was sorta half-watching it though but boy was I semi-confused. So many double-crosses and whatnot, it was hard to keep up with everything.
There were also some pretty lame scenes. Getting married in the middle of a huge battle? C'mon now. That completely took me out of the movie. And the final battle lasted like half the movie, frrlz, I got tired of all the action about 2/3s of the way through.
All in All, good movie, not better than the 2nd, but still a good movie.
I want to make sex to Barbarossa.

AzureBlaze
May 28, 2007, 02:17 AM
The end shows a

nice peaceful grassy cliff and a little girl singing the pirate song as she goes to the edge. It is sunset. She is joined by Elizabeth. It is obviously her daughter, now 9, waiting for her father. A green flash finally shows, and you see Will on the Dutchman. He sees them and smiles

This is why it goes well with Jack's stolen-map plan. And whoever posted there may be 6 of this, where are you? What's the word?

Also, couldn't you just put him in a bucket like DaveyJones and chill as much as you wanted? Davey inna bucket was accidentally hilarious to me.

DizzyDi
May 28, 2007, 09:27 AM
'Twas me or said it, and I read it on some site long long ago that Depp had signed on to do 6.
I might be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
I see this series as being the Star Wars of our generation, or maybe Harry Potter.

Jehosaphaty
May 28, 2007, 10:16 AM
wait i thought that that little kid in the extras was a boy? course it was like 1:30 in the morning. verification anyone?

HUnewearl_Meira
May 28, 2007, 11:02 AM
That kid was a boy, and apparently it was the same actor as the kid at the beginning who started singing the song.

On 2007-05-26 04:44, ShadowDragon28 wrote:

Word of warning.. don't go to see "Invisible"; the director and editor got a major case of stupid and ruined the film by giving away everything in the first 30 min of the movie completely taking away any mystery that it should of had.

So, you mean to say, Invisible is Unwatchable? Like, it would be better if it truely were invisible, and therefore, you couldn't see it?

Feelmirath
May 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
On 2007-05-26 18:52, Moo2u wrote:And Keith Richards is made of pure awesome.
"How's mum?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

UnderscoreX
May 28, 2007, 03:06 PM
So I just got back from watching it and it lived up to my expectations, no more no less.
We didn't have the energy/patience to hang around 'till the credits ended though, so uh sucks to be us I guess.