PDA

View Full Version : Help with science project...

3---Hit---U
May 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
I have a project I need to do in school tomorrow and what I need to do is this:
Get at least 38 pennies on a boat made from 10 cm by 10 cm of ALUMINUM FOIL I know it has something to do with water displacement or somthing but I'm totally skrewed if I can't get help so if anyone did this please help!

McLaughlin
May 23, 2007, 05:54 PM
Make it cup shaped. Try to have an even thickness throughout the structure. Try to load the pennies in evenly as well. Just fiddle with the shape a bit. You don't want it too tall because it won't displace enough water, but make it too wide and the water will come up over the edges.

Zelutos
May 23, 2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.engineering.usu.edu/jrestate/workshops/buoyancy/boats.html

3---Hit---U
May 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
c'mon I still need some scientist's help to get the pennies to float!

Sinue_v2
May 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
Grate the aluminum into a fine powder. Mix with iron oxide (rust) powder. Add a small amount of an adheasive compount to hold the mixture together (plaster of paris). Stick a strip of magnesium in the top. Place the compound on top of the stack of 32 pennies. Add fire to the magnesium.

You won't get it to float - and you'll probably fail the course - but at least you'll fail in STYLE! (

DizzyDi
May 23, 2007, 06:41 PM
On 2007-05-23 15:51, 3---Hit---U wrote:
I have a project I need to do in school tomorrow and what I need to do is this:
Get at least 38 pennies on a boat made from 10 cm by 10 cm of ALUMINUM FOIL I know it has something to do with water displacement or somthing but I'm totally skrewed if I can't get help so if anyone did this please help!

I read pennies as penises, lol.
Carry on.

foamcup
May 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
Ha ha, too bad it's not 37.

In a row? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DurakkenX
May 23, 2007, 08:19 PM
look at a boat.... do it like that...

Zelutos
May 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
Use a bowl shaped boat. They don't have any rules on the shape, yeah? Just has to float with some pennies in it?

MaximusLight
May 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
this project has to do with the surface tension of the water, if you make a slightly curved structure as thin as possible that can hold the pennies then it should float you have to experiment with it though, or and by the way read your teachers assigned readings for this it will help ;p

ABDUR101
May 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
No kidding man, it's a lesson based on common sense; trial and error. It's not rocket science, it's the basic ability of problem solving. =

You can't even really have someone explain to you how to make it work, if you fiddle with it for alittle bit you'll just 'get it'. Use your noodle, your parents don't pay taxes for nothing! =]

3---Hit---U
May 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
I got it at school by pure luck! 27 pennies which was second best overall (winner get 28 dammit) but still 27 is a 90 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ABDUR101
May 24, 2007, 06:20 PM
Congratulations. You were close, and I bet you could have easily figured it out with just abit of trial and error. Not so hard when you put your mind to it, yeah?

Kevino
May 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
On 2007-05-23 16:34, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Grate the aluminum into a fine powder. Mix with iron oxide (rust) powder. Add a small amount of an adheasive compount to hold the mixture together (plaster of paris). Stick a strip of magnesium in the top. Place the compound on top of the stack of 32 pennies. Add fire to the magnesium.

You won't get it to float - and you'll probably fail the course - but at least you'll fail in STYLE! (

o sure get him to perform the thermite reaction on his pennies... well that is a hot reaction so mabey if he melts the pennies into a boat... yep it will work. but you dont need an adhesive. just do it in a cup over the water it'll work much better. i did that one over some sand and had a nice piece of glass!