PDA

View Full Version : Levels mean nothing

L33t_M4st3r
May 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'm tired of high level people saying "I'm level 80. of course i'm not a noob" Just because your high level, that does not mean your not a noob. People making stupid mistakes, rushing through levels, messing up my s rank, even high level people do that. And then they complain that they know what they are doing. Never trust no one with your life on the game, or your s rank, unless you know them.

Weeaboolits
May 28, 2007, 01:35 AM
Generally speaking, you should have a good idea of what you're doing in a game by the time you reach level 80. ;]

Chuck_Norris
May 28, 2007, 01:39 AM
freakin game score whores......

EphekZ
May 28, 2007, 01:46 AM
this is why I don't party in universe nub. I'm too much of an elitist to.

KodiaX987
May 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
On 2007-05-27 23:35, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Generally speaking, you should have a good idea of what you're doing in a game by the time you reach level 80. ;]

Several don't. Trust me on that.

An example from Battlefield 2142:

Me and another soldier come across an empty tank, facing perfectly in line with the road. Before us is a veritable 4-lane expressway, straight and level one mile long. We have to catch up to the fighting that's happening on the other end of the map.

I am Field Commissar Gold, one rank away from max level. He is a Captain Silver, about halfway through the ranks.

He arrives first and gets driver and main cannon position. I get anti-infantry gunner position.

Off we go.

First, he turns sharp left(!) and slams into a building.

Then he turns sharp right and slams into a pole.

Then he turns slight left and slams into a pile of barrels.

He meticulously ran into every possible obstacle within the first 50 meters.

It got to a point where I told him to get out so we can switch places.

Ithildin
May 28, 2007, 10:44 AM
Who cares if u r a bloody noob anyway? We all have to start of somewhere... Just help the ppl out who are not used to the game yet... <.<

amtalx
May 28, 2007, 06:51 PM
There are a lot of things about this game that can go completely unnoticed even if you achieve Lvl 80. There are just some nuances to this game that you either have to be told about or have the curiosity to research yourself. For the people that don't know, help them. If you help them and they are still morons, then you can mock them.

AlexCraig
May 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
Murphy's law applies to all. You can be the highest level possible, you can have the best weapons on all, you could have played the game for years and you can and will, eventually, fall for the most common of traps, run into the most obvious of obstacles, and die at the hands of what we know as a n00b/noob/noobie/whatever.

foamcup
May 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
On 2007-05-28 08:44, Ithildin wrote:
Who cares if u r a bloody noob anyway? We all have to start of somewhere... Just help the ppl out who are not used to the game yet... <.<

No dude, you can't help a noob. A noob is someone who can play Goldeneye with you a couple times a week for nearly a year and still suck at it. Or like the previous example of some noob who can't drive a vehicle in a straight fucking line even though he's been playing the game for some time. Now a newb on the other hand, we can help them, and we should all make an effort to do so.

Solstis
May 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
Was there a naming committee?

I make no distinction between newb or n00b, and I probably won't play with anyone that actually uses those words.

DurakkenX
May 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
On 2007-05-28 21:25, Solstis wrote:
Was there a naming committee?

I make no distinction between newb or n00b, and I probably won't play with anyone that actually uses those words.

that makes you a noob http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
A lot of things can make you a n00b, like pickin' to engage in unprovoked pissin' contests with Abdur. I do not concur, good sir.

Lv 200 players in a Battle or C-Mode (for the first time or not), good stuff.

The level e-peen number was their goal essentially, not mastering the game.

FOAtHeart
May 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
Does anyone realize the futility of expecting people to adhere to their esoteric definitions of things?

Not to mention it's not even important.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2007-05-28 21:44 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
May 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
I distinguish between the two, n00bs are obnoxious, newbies are not. ;]

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 28, 2007, 11:48 PM
On 2007-05-28 21:43, FOAtHeart wrote:
Does anyone realize the futility of expecting people to adhere to their esoteric definitions of things?

Not to mention it's not even important.

Point out an obvious truth will ya? Urn00b2nao!

Calling someone a n00b, I'm a n00b too then for doing that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

-

But then most might adhere to n00b being of no potential progress - a black hole, newb is newbie shortened to the point where they can be taught and progress just fine like everyone else.

I probably learned this from Shuri rants more than anything else. Such a brave man to make contact with soo many players capable of frustrating sequences.

Solstis
May 28, 2007, 11:49 PM
On 2007-05-28 21:44, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

Do you then go out of your way to mold them into your non-newb, veteran ways?

Are they smiling, but very hungry orphan children that your one dollar a month can save?

Intent, good. Helping people is nice. Self-ego boosting, "I'm a good person because I'm a nice expert" is bad.

Anyway, it just looks really stupid. Like, the n00b thing is from the mid-nineties. The nineties are so over, just like Clarissa Knows it All and TRL.

Weeaboolits
May 29, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm offline.

I meant that I only use the term n00b (albeit very rarely) to describe a particularly obnoxious newbie. ;]

Kent
May 29, 2007, 06:24 AM
On 2007-05-28 21:49, Solstis wrote:

Are they smiling, but very hungry orphan children that your one dollar a month can save?

Intent, good. Helping people is nice. Self-ego boosting, "I'm a good person because I'm a nice expert" is bad.

Anyway, it just looks really stupid. Like, the n00b thing is from the mid-nineties. The nineties are so over, just like Clarissa Knows it All and TRL.

That's Clarissa Explains it All.

...And that show was awesome.

Mystil
May 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'm tired of not being level 80.

Weeaboolits
May 29, 2007, 08:51 AM
On 2007-05-29 04:24, Kent wrote:

I distinguish between the two, n00bs are obnoxious, newbies are not. ;]Do you then go out of your way to mold them into your non-newb, veteran ways?

Anyway, it just looks really stupid. Like, the n00b thing is from the mid-nineties. The nineties are so over, just like Clarissa Knows it All and TRL.That's Clarissa Explains it All.

...And that show was awesome.*enters window via ladder* (acoustic guitar riff)

DurakkenX
May 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
On 2007-05-29 04:24, Kent wrote:

That's Clarissa Explains it All.

...And that show was awesome.

Yes and so is Mellisa Joan Hart... I'd tap that >.> and then ask her to make a show for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
May 29, 2007, 12:57 PM

Let's make this clear: A "newb" is someone who is new to the scene, understands this, and is willing to learn.

A "n00b" is someone whose ignorance makes them seem new to the scene (regardless of whether they are or not), they are unwilling to learn, and their faulty assumption regarding their own superiority makes them horribly obnoxious, often to the point of inspiring physical violence. Someone who earns the title of "n00b" is not someone to be pitied. A true "n00b" is essentially a troll who doesn't know what he's doing.

Therefore, a "n00b" is a uselesses hinderance to any group, with no potential for improvement. A "newb" is someone who will doubtless be a great ally.

Ithildin
May 29, 2007, 12:57 PM
On 2007-05-28 17:08, foamcup wrote:

No dude, you can't help a noob. A noob is someone who can play Goldeneye with you a couple times a week for nearly a year and still suck at it. Or like the previous example of some noob who can't drive a vehicle in a straight fucking line even though he's been playing the game for some time. Now a newb on the other hand, we can help them, and we should all make an effort to do so.

wtf? please explain?

In fact... don't bother, I couldn't give a rats arse

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ithildin on 2007-05-29 10:59 ]</font>

Solstis
May 29, 2007, 04:22 PM
Regardless of the compassion towards "newbs," it seems that they are regarded highly because of their future potential use, moreso than their value as a person in general.

I understand the sentiment, and how annoying some players can be, but "newb" tends to have a slightly negative connotation (newbie is still not something that most people want to be called), and tossing around the word "n00b" as if it were a valid, researched term seems silly.

(Explains, Knows, whatever Kent http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Banish
May 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
newbs, fr00bs, n00bs, man...I hear that a lot too.

Who ever calls another player that is pretty much an elitist.

Draeval
Jun 3, 2007, 12:48 PM
Dude, trust me. n00b's can get reaaaaaally bitchy on BB, especially on a Private Server. EX Being this homo that keeps following me into every game, passworded or not, and calls me a homophobic perverted anime loving fuckhead. He bases his claims on this: 1) I did a sarcastic gay joke, the sarcasm was ever more evident by [/sarcasm] at the end of my chat, 2) of my 3 characters, 2 are female, but all 3 are Android, and 3) 'All PSO players BUT him are Anime lovers'. People like him need no pitty, just need to die. >_<

KodiaX987
Jun 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
On 2007-05-29 15:11, Fujita wrote:
Who ever calls another player that is pretty much an elitist.

It'll be my pleasure to be an elitist then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif