PDA

View Full Version : LINKSYS WRT54GL with XBOX 360

CodeName62
May 30, 2007, 01:23 AM
Hi again

Once I finally pick an ISP, I am wanting to get my XBOX 360 connected to XBOX live. To do this I am preffering to use a "LINKSYS WRT54GL (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1133202177241&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7724136001B02
)" wireless router. With this said, I am wondering if there is anybody here that has any experiance in using this router to get their XBOX 360 online.

The reason why I ask is because that router is not on the list of Compatiable Home Networking Equipment (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm). However, my guess is that it should not be a problem because the "WRT54G" and "WRT54GS" are on the list. My main concern is in the configuration, and firmware.

Is there any special configurations that need to be made?
Is there need of any third party firmware?

Note: I am planning to have a direct wired connection between my XBOX 360, and therouter.

Thanks

Sinue_v2
May 30, 2007, 04:37 AM
If you plan to connect the 360 to the router directly, then there should be no problems. If you connect wirelessly, then you may have to do some tweaking to get your NAT open, which can be a real pain in the ass on Linksys routers (it was on mine anyhow). Having a Strict or Moderate NAT will result in the inability to voice chat or game with certain people over Live.

Just because it's not on the compatability list, doesn't mean it's incompatable. Microsoft doesn't use some special proprietary networking protocols for the 360 - it's all pretty standard stuff. The XBL Compatable routers are simply routers who already have the appropriate XBL ports open, UPnP enabled, the MTU preset, ect, to make connection much easier for those who don't know much about routers and are incapable of surfing the internet for directions on setting things up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-05-30 02:49 ]</font>