PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass - Teaser Trailer

Eihwaz
May 31, 2007, 02:49 PM
We've been hearing about the movie adaptation of the first book in Phillip Pullman's trilogy His Dark Materials, but now, we finally have a teaser trailer. Click! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-W4q2nsHY)

Some things were done in unexpected ways (Oxford dropped my jaw in amazement), but I am totally psyched for the film now. Let's just hope that all the pieces fall into place.

Comments?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2007-05-31 12:49 ]</font>

Sord
May 31, 2007, 02:58 PM
woo7, 'bout damn time. I'll have to go back and reread the trilogy. No doubt this movie will start some daemon based role-playing threads on some RPG forum. Meh, they just better show the kid lose two fingers in The Sublte Knife (asuming they get that far.)

Eihwaz
May 31, 2007, 03:12 PM
True, that's one thing I am worried about - how they treat the more violent sections of the book(s). I'm really hoping they find some way to show the full brutality of the mortal combat between Iofur and Iorek. Maybe they'll go for a PG-13 rating? It worked for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, right?

Sord
May 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
meh, maybe... not sure if i've seen the fourth one, I think I did. Not exactly a big fan of Harry Potter. There's also the whole God issue and what not. No doubt if they stay really true to the books some christian radicals are going to complain. Then there are the more unethical acts like the experiments done on children and daemons as well. This could turn out really good, or really bad. I guess we have to hope for the best :/

Eihwaz
Jun 1, 2007, 06:48 PM
Well, I remember reading that that they were going to be a bit "euphemistic" when referring to the church. It's not really that hard, they're doing the Authority's work, not God's work, am I right?

*keeps fingers crossed*

Jehosaphaty
Jun 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
So you you'd suggest reading the books? I was pretty blown away by the trailer when I saw it in theaters and it really perked my interest.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
Any fiction that annoys or really bothers certain religious Fundimentalist groups are usually pretty darn good and thought provoking works of fiction or non-fiction (whatever they may be),
So stuff like The Golden Compass and His Dark Materials fiction definately peeks my interest. It's unfortunate i don't have the time or drive to read fantasy or science fiction books. I do like learning how to write it myself though.

I really like that trailer; the movie looks/seems very nice so I definately want to see it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-06-01 18:44 ]</font>

Sord
Jun 5, 2007, 01:49 AM
On 2007-06-01 16:48, Eihwaz wrote:
Well, I remember reading that that they were going to be a bit "euphemistic" when referring to the church. It's not really that hard, they're doing the Authority's work, not God's work, am I right?

*keeps fingers crossed*

technically, in the books world, there is no God, or rather there is, but he's on big fat lie. The Authroity was born from the Dust first, then lied to everyone made after him that he created them. Thus he was given the title of God, though undeserving of it. Furthermore, if you still wanted a god of any sense in t his, it would be the Dust. Since the Dust is concious, and it makes souls (such as the Authority and the Angels and who knows what else) it would be more in tune with eastern ideas of God as a collective conciousness of all souls.

Also, to whoever asked, I would definitly read the books if you can do so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2007-06-04 23:50 ]</font>

Solstis
Jun 5, 2007, 10:38 AM
I accidentally read the subtle knife first. :< It was great, but I was sooo lost.

I need to go back and read the Golden Compass.

Eihwaz
Jun 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
On 2007-06-01 18:29, Jehosaphaty wrote:
So you you'd suggest reading the books? I was pretty blown away by the trailer when I saw it in theaters and it really perked my interest.Yes. They are, in my opinion, the best fantasy novels you could possibly hope to read. They're beautifully written, incredibly well-plotted, and staggeringly epic. Particularly the last book, but all three are essential works.

On 2007-06-04 23:49, Sord wrote:
technically, in the books world, there is no God, or rather there is, but he's on big fat lie. The Authroity was born from the Dust first, then lied to everyone made after him that he created them. Thus he was given the title of God, though undeserving of it. Furthermore, if you still wanted a god of any sense in t his, it would be the Dust. Since the Dust is concious, and it makes souls (such as the Authority and the Angels and who knows what else) it would be more in tune with eastern ideas of God as a collective conciousness of all souls.I'm quite aware of this; I was being a bit tongue in cheek. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Out_Kast
Jun 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
Sure, it looks great =]
But wasn't the book called Northern Lights?
Or is that just the UK? =]

CupOfCoffee
Jun 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, it was Northern Lights in the UK.

I'm really pumped for this too--His Dark Materials are some of my favorite books ever. I'm also hoping they'll go with a PG-13 rating so they can stick closer to the books (especially the bear fight).

Jonty
Jun 5, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm just really, really annoyed that they called it 'The Golden Compass' rather than 'His Dark Materials'.
W T F
I can hope it'll be really good, but it won't be very true to the books unless they go for a 15 rating. Which they won't.
Bah.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
Well, you are aware that each book in the trilogy had an independent title, right? I kinda figured they'd call it Northern Lights instead of The Golden Compass when it became a movie, but I didn't assume they'd call it His Dark Materials. Going that route, they'd have had to stick a "Part One" or something on there.

NPCMook
Jun 6, 2007, 05:22 AM
Summer is full of blockbusters-esque as usual... I look forward to this movie, as well as several others... Across the Universe is currently on my #1 must watch list

Jonty
Jun 6, 2007, 01:10 PM
Could've gone with 'His dark materials... The Northern lights'
Or just 'The Northern Lights' like you said. I just have an irrational hatred of 'The Golden Compass' ^_^

Out_Kast
Jun 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
I've gotta say, the title 'The Golden Compass' really doesn't sound as exciting compared to 'Northern Lights'. One might say it sounded a tad boring compared to what they could have named it =p
But don't mind me. The film looks neat =]

Eihwaz
Jun 7, 2007, 02:58 AM
A bit of trivia about the title difference: from what I've read, Pullman's reasoning behind naming the US edition of the first book "The Golden Compass" was not because the alethiometer plays a significant role in the plot. He meant it in the sense of a drawing compass - what you use to draw a circle.

Eventually, he realized it was a semi-happy accident that all three books were named for crucial items in the plot.

Oh well! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif