PDA

View Full Version : Work Snippets II

KodiaX987
May 31, 2007, 10:06 PM
You will notice this new episode of the Snippets is not in the Rants forum! This is because my job is made of win and awesome, full of nice people and kickass machinery. This Snippets thread is thus a log of all things funny.

And now, the usual suspects:

Me!
Gary - One of the more senior employees. He is director of all things computer, and has programmed the whole management software from scratch, plus setting up the database and the programming of the automated cutting tool.
Steven - Has been in the company for about 5-6 years as a programmer-analyst, so he also knows a good deal of stuff about the why and how of things in the computer room.
Everyone Else! - Unless someone becomes a recurring character, all names used for other employees will be on-the-spot ficticious. Gary and Steven are also ficticious names by the way.

And now... let's begin.

#1: Where's Waldo?
Bob: (over the Intercom) Lottery pool starts now! Please come and see me to participate.
Me: Ah, good! Let's go.
Steven: My change is in the car. You go ahead and see Bob, I'll catch up with you.
Me: But, where's Bob?
Steven: Oh, he's right next to Dennis in the factory.
Me: But WHERE'S DENNIS!
Steven: Ah... good point! Hang on then, I'll be right back.

And after we deliver the cash and on the way back to the computer room...

Steven: ...So yeah, the guy you saw next to Dennis, that was Bob.
Me: Ah OK... wait a frickin' minute; which one was Dennis anyway?!
Steven: Pow!

Night_Raid
Jun 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ha. I much preferred your snippets involving mass stupidity ("In which listening becomes a miracle of god" was a personal favorite) But I suppose I could settle for this new angle too.

Weeaboolits
Jun 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear that you like your new job, Kodia. ;]

Shattered_weasel
Jun 2, 2007, 06:03 PM
Working in a Video/Video Game/Book store I have heard large amounts of stupid from customers. Mostly video but whatever. Two things that will tick me off to know end is the ignorance with DVDs/Videos.

#1. If the movie is only in subtitles there is a reason for it. It could be because the creator didn't want his movie to be butchered. It could be because they didn't want to spend the money for it. Or biggest of all it could be very needed for the story. It is not because my work hates you so much that we just don't carry it. It is because it doesn't exsist.

Now imagine the hurt for me when Apocolypto, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Pan's Labyrinth all come out in (or near) the same time. Bombardments of stupidity comes from all over. One of the biggest and worst excuses would be "If I wanted to read I would have bought a book". Every time I hear that I want to take my size 13's and shove them through your throat and proceed to wear you like a pair of pants because of your cultural ignorance. If you can't read subtitles in the amount of time they are put up on the screen I pity you. On top of it you are not reading the Encyclopedia here. It is at the most a 2-4 page short story.

#2. Full and Wide Screen ignorance also gets my goat. Everyone who knows no difference between the two will naturally pick Full Screen. But on top of that you have those people that won't touch a movie if it was released in Wide Screen only (PotC and Babel). They will miss out of complete and good movies just because it has black bars and they believe that the movie is getting cut off. *facepalm*

#3. Release dates. People...movies do not come out right when they leave the theater. On top of that they do not come out while they are in the theater. I was getting people asking me why 300 wasn't on the shelf in March. On top of that. Don't ask where Heroes S1 and Lost S3 are at when the series just had it's finale.

#4. You did not play LoZ:TP on the PS2. I don't care how many times you yell at me I will not Special Order you a game that does not exist.

#5. We are not hiding Wii's from you. They are not in the back room, they are not in my pants, they are not in the ceiling. They sell like hot cakes and you have to work for it to get one.

God I love my job.

NPCMook
Jun 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
Shatter! you forgot to mention the oblivious butchering of title names: Poursidon, Sentenial, Donkey Kong...

Having worked in the box office for several months those are only a few of the titles butchered by people... Lets not forget the ignorance of law and rules here.

As many of you know you must be 17 WITH ID to view a Rated R movie, or accompanied by a legal guardian(I don't give two flying fucks if the theater you go to doesn't ID you and the like).

Case 1; Gentleman walks up with his girlfriend off to the side smoking, and asks for 2 tickets to Saw II, after being royally reared because of not checking IDs I asked him for 2 IDs(his ID, and his girlfriends). He gets riled by the fact I asked him for his ID, and proceeds to rant about how he has never been carded at this theater, so I congratulated him on this being his first time. He then proceeded to storm off getting all whiny and calls me a jerk while holding back those tears because he was just owned.

Case 2; Mother, Son(around 7ish), Daughter(18+), and Daughter's Boyfriend walk up. Mother asks for 2 tickets to Hostel, and 2 tickets for King Kong, simply doing my job I ask to see the 2 IDs for the people going into Hostel. The Daughter doesn't have her ID so I refuse to sell the tickets, the mother then becomes enraged because I'm doing my job properly and not questioning why her daughter isn't carrying her ID(in the State of Texas, if you are 17+ by law you are supposed to have some form of ID on you at all times) the mother then argues that her Daughter's Boyfriend is at least 24, I still refuse because he is not the legal guardian, the mother thoroughly pissed at me then gives in and just gets 2 more tickets for king kong, after the sale was done I notified the ticket tearer to make sure that all 4 of them made it to King kong