PDA

View Full Version : Do i have too much in my room?

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 12:16 AM
i have a ps2, 360, ATX mid-tower, 20" EDTV, 24" SDTV, 15" LCD monitor, a wii, an ethernet router, A/V switch box, Xbox, N64, Dell optiplex, Satellite, 120GB HDD, a wii USB wireless adapter, logitech g15 keyboard, a saitek 2500 PC controller, and a GameCube, along with at least 1 controller for each game console, GBA, and DS...all in my room

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-06-06 22:16 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 7, 2007, 12:17 AM
I am not seeing a mini-fridge, microwave and chamber pot in your list. Your collection is not yet complete.

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 12:19 AM
i have a microwave...i just don't keep it in my room...and the bathroom is like the next room next to my room so close enough lol

Siertes
Jun 7, 2007, 12:22 AM
Would it be possible to get a picture? I mean you could have three things in a room, but if the room is the size of a small closet it's too much.

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 12:25 AM
i don't have a digicam and my webcam is lost in the void of that which is the electronics that will prolly never be used again area in my room >.>

i also have some better speaker than average PC speakers and a powerful Bass...when it was all set up at 1/4 power it was able to be heard 2 blocks away http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jun 7, 2007, 12:45 AM
I have a minifridge in my room. No mircowave, but i am next to the kitchen anyway. =^.^=

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 01:00 AM
i should get one in here ^.^

but i'd be afraid to put one in here i have a 3x5ft area that is nothing but cords and paper >.> I really need to clean my room ^.^

Jonty
Jun 7, 2007, 02:45 AM
As long as you can get in and out of the room without too much trouble its...
A-OK!

Kent
Jun 7, 2007, 06:33 AM
...I have more in my room than you do.

...So no, there's not too much in your room. :/ I still need a mini-fridge, though. It's more important than a bassist, anyway.

Sinue_v2
Jun 7, 2007, 06:35 AM
In my game room I have (hooked up) a PS2, X360, Xbox, NGC, Dreamcast, 2-4 controllers for each, 20" CRT (doubles as my TV), another 15" CRT, my PC, an old shelled out PC I use as a coffee table, USB Wireless Reciever, 5-port Hub, X360 Controller Hub for PC, Viewsonic N6, 5.1 sattelite PC surround system, a "crate" full of old PC components ranging from stuff that came on my 386 to stuff I just recently got, over 150 games, 60+ DVDs, 30 books, 100 various PC & music CD's on a rack, several displayed consoles that aren't hooked up (Genesis, SNES, PSX, SMS, ect), DS, GBA, GB, SGG, Nomad, 1 desk chair w/ footstool, several folding camp chairs (for guests), a hammock, Nightstand, a Mini fridge, Several various bottles of whiskey (Jim Beam, Bookes, Crown, Youkon Jack, ect) at various levels of consumption, a 5th of Tangarey Gin in it's tin (currently used as a window prop), a boxed bottle of DeMontal Armagnac VSOP (20+ years old), and a two teddy bears - one with an open trenchcoat flashing his peenor and the other one a Jerry Bear, and a small Buddah chotchsky.

I don't have enough room for a Microwave, but I might get a Coleman HotPlate eventually. No plans to install a toilet or use a chamberpot at this time. I might also end up buying my cousin's Foozeball table off of him. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-07 04:39 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 01:28 PM
yeah but that's your "game room" this is my bed room lol

Dre_o
Jun 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
Unless your room has an electro magnetic field created by all the moving data and electricity , it's not enough.

Banish
Jun 7, 2007, 02:09 PM
hee hee...

You must have quite a large room for all this equipment http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Weeaboolits
Jun 7, 2007, 02:27 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/Ronin_Cooper/Anime/Genshiken/Genshiken_-_manga_panel.png

amtalx
Jun 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
Right now I have something similar, but 12 consoles and 4 towers in a room that's about 12' x 12'...it can be done. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DLShAdOw
Jun 7, 2007, 04:01 PM
Nope, but you may have to much brag in your brag.

Sinue_v2
Jun 7, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2007-06-07 11:28, DurakkenX wrote:
yeah but that's your "game room" this is my bed room lol

Most often my game room is my bedroom. I only really sleep in my bedroom when I have my GF over, and since I don't have a GF at the moment....

Hence, the hammock. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jive18
Jun 7, 2007, 10:53 PM
I just have my PC, all of its various accessories (Logitech X-540 speakers, etc.) and my bed in my room.

I phail.

Akdov
Jun 8, 2007, 01:57 AM
I voted for radation poisioning. But hey what can't kill you can only make you stronger right???

amtalx
Jun 8, 2007, 07:08 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:57, Akdov wrote:
I voted for radation poisioning. But hey what can't kill you can only make you stronger right???

Hellz yea. Mutant powers FTW.

Rainbowlemon
Jun 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
On 2007-06-07 14:01, DLShAdOw wrote:

Stealth topic rename: "I have lots of expensive things, nah nah"

DurakkenX
Jun 9, 2007, 09:37 AM
On 2007-06-09 06:01, Rainbowlemon wrote:

On 2007-06-07 14:01, DLShAdOw wrote:

Stealth topic rename: "I have lots of expensive things, nah nah"

Translation of Rainbowlemon: "I like to troll and get attention even though I don't have anything interesting or relevant ever to say"

BTW... If you think any of that stuff is expensive... wow. I mean I'm below the poverty line and I can afford this stuff... The most expensive thing in there is the PC which took quite a while to build and is only maybe around $1000-2000... other than that... the next expensive thing is the 360 which is only around $400. I find it amazing that someone in game design wouldn't have knowledge of the pricing of these things...or be broke enough to consider any of it expensive considering how expensive it is to go to school for game design.

Solstis
Jun 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
Students don't really count as far as the poverty line is concerned.

Unless you work to pay for your own food, clothes, shelter, insurance (car or otherwise), or etc, you cannot claim to be "below the poverty line."

Instead of spending money on gadgets, maybe you should be saving way for retirement, neh?

Leonah
Jun 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
haha wow.
I have a PS3, computer, laptop, TV, SP, AMP for my Bass;), and on a good day - a nintendo 64 and a Sega Dreamcast! I still hook it up and play the Sonic game, haha!

My place is kind of crowded with books and animals. I have 5 Koi fish, a dog, a cat, and 3 bookshelves of books, and this huge Ivy plant that has defeated me in the battle for my room.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And I'm pulling for a Wii. Oh, and another fishie.

(!!!) But wow, that's insane - but doable. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Very wicked. Very.

Rainbowlemon
Jun 10, 2007, 08:42 AM
So, you want useful input? Here you go. You've not told us how big your room is, so we don't know if it's "too much in your room". I know I'm gonna' end up getting banned for grilling you so much, and it seems I'm just taking every opportunity you give me to prove you wrong, but you're handing it to us on a silver platter. Anyone with half a mind can see that you didn't make this topic to genuinely find out if you had too much in your room - otherwise you would have posted less specs. and more pictures, and probably given the size of your room.

And you mention DS and GBA, like they take up space. I don't think I'll ever understand your incentives.

Of course, I do not wish to derail the topic, so I will actually add some useful input: Apart from the ATX tower, no, I don't think you have too much in your room. For a student with a loan to waste, your possessions seem about appropriate.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_line

You have all this unnecessary technology, and yet you consider yourself below the poverty threshold? *sigh*.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rainbowlemon on 2007-06-10 06:43 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-06-10 06:42, Rainbowlemon wrote:
For a student with a loan to waste, your possessions seem about appropriate.

You like making things up in your head about people don't you...

I don't know the "size" of my room but i'd say it's roughly 10'x10', maybe a little smaller or bigger.

And amazing you are right about not caring about the responses, but it's not to brag...i just was bored ^.^

And yes according to the 'poverty line' I am below it, but I have an odd life so it matters where you look at it from.

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 09:09 AM
Dude. Hold on a second. How on earth can you build a $1000-$2000 computer, own a large quantity of game consoles including an Xbox 360, go to college, and claim you're below the poverty line with a straight face?

Seriously dude. If you were below the poverty line, you would NOT be in college. You would not own an Xbox 360. You would not have broadband internet because that $40/month would pay for a LOT of food. You are living it up.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 09:21 AM
it's called learning to save and taking advantage of various situations ^.^ Like I said I am technically below it, that doesn't mean that I'm unable to figure out ways around it. And no my parents aren't rich either so don't think that...In fact they are worse off than me.

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
You're not understanding. Poverty is when you have to scrape and scrounge to get enough money to feed your three hungry kids who are wearing clothes you purchased at Goodwill because you can't afford to shop at Walmart.

Being able to save hundreds of dollars so you can buy videogames and computer parts isn't a sign of being wise with your money, it's a sign of your not being remotely close to poverty. Your concerns would be focused around having enough money to eat well for the next month and praying your beat-up old car made in the early 1980s doesn't break down on you because you can't afford another right now, since the landlord is pissed off that you're a month behind on rent. You sure as hell wouldn't be spending money for a website with your own domain name. I'd wager you didn't cook your last few meals, either. After all, people in poverty can't afford fast food. Two pieces of bread from a 65 cent loaf with a slice of off-brand cold cuts is more along their idea of affordable cuisine.

It's one thing to be a bit short on cash as a college student (been there, done that), but to claim you're below the poverty line? There's a lot of folks who really are below the poverty line who would choke you for that, and none of them are online because internet access is a luxury they cannot afford. They'd trade places in a heartbeat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2007-06-10 08:21 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
poverty line has nothing to do with what you are saying. It is a cash figure that is created by the government based on various expenditures that is calculated for a yearly sum. Currently, if i remember right, it's between 15 and 20 thousand dollars a years for 20-25 year olds. My yearly income, if you want to call it that is around 10-12 thousand and thus I am under the poverty line.

However what you are saying is indicative of poverty it is not what the line is based on in america as that is impossible to even gauge just on such a massive scale so it is based on income. So while you are correct in a way you are also very very wrong.

Also the poverty line is adjusted for age, marriage status, and dependents so given that it 2 people with the exact same income and in the exact same living condition can be above or below the poverty line just by getting married.

Being able to afford various things has nothing to do with poverty line in general especially since most people who are below poverty level live above their means and are below mainly because of debt. If you don't incur a lot of debt, so called "poverty" is a breeze in the park.

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
You just threw some arbitrary figures, there. What does age have to do with anything? Here's the reality:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml

You are not below the poverty line. This also begs the question: who's paying for your college, and are you working full time? The whole poverty thing goes under the assumption that you're a full-time working adult that isn't still under your parents' wing.

Solstis
Jun 10, 2007, 11:20 AM
Unless you are a financial wizard, I can't imagine you having much extra income if you really are paying for your living expenses at $10,000 and below.

That's about 833 dollars a month to budget with, pretending that taxes don't exist. That's around 208 dollars a week. If you were only paying for food (ramen) and rent, and the place that was infested with rats, you might be able to afford an XBOX. After a few months of saving.

Debt actually makes things easier to purchase, not harder. It'll screw you over later, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-06-10 09:22 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 11:27 AM
first of all parn that is not the official one and says so directly on the site... secondly i search for a good couple of minute for an up to date list which i could not find and as the poverty line goes a little bit higher each year it is really not possible to determine without an accurate table...

but i think you should read this page...
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1713.cfm
it has a very good article that talks about the very things you are suggesting is true...

or since you can't read your own "proofs" you could just read this quote that pretty much sums up that page as it is long ^.^

3. The Census Bureau defines an individual as poor if his or her family income falls below certain specified income thresholds. These thresholds vary by family size. In 2002, a family of four was deemed poor if its annual income fell below $18,556; a family of three was deemed poor if annual income was below $14,702. There are a number of problems with the Census Bureau's poverty figures: Census undercounts income, ignores assets accumulated in prior years, and disregards non-cash welfare such as food stamps and public housing in its official count of income. However, the most important problem with Census figures is that, even if a family's income falls below the official poverty thresholds, the family's actual living conditions are likely to be far higher than the image most Americans have in mind when they hear the word "poverty."

also i will retract my saying i am simply because i am not 100% sure because i can't find the official number and given that 3 kids is 14k in 2002 and 4 is 18k... not having any kids according to that should be around 2k even though that's just unrealistic given various things but oh well. Regardless of that i'm rather poor in comparison to most people...just because i have things doesn't mean i have the money for them all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif and as for who pays for my college...that'd be my grandfather that keeps me going to school whether i like it or not ^.^ I didn't say i wasn't lucky in some ways, but that doesn't preclude another statement.

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 11:42 AM
You didn't search very hard then, because the official numbers were linked on the paragraph that discusses poverty thresholds on the article that I had linked:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/threshld.html

The article I linked to is very much in-line with what I've been saying all along. At least you've retracted your claim to living in poverty.

omegapirate2k
Jun 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
Where is your bed?

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 11:54 AM
parn, those numbers are not up to date...they go only to 2005, and the ones on the page are their estimate, not the official.

omegapirate2k...i don't have a bed.. i have a shitty futon that is falling apart and has a high likely hood of stabbing and killing me one day when it gives out that i plan to replace soon with a couch... I'd get a bed but i'm too lazy to get up from the couch when i'm tired to go over to it...plus i wouldn't be albe to wake up a little and watch tv and then go back to sleep comfy like so i plan on just getting a couch and leaving it at that ^.^

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 12:44 PM
Dude, those numbers that I linked to are from the Census Bureau. They establish the poverty threshold for the United States. You can't get anymore official than that. You seriously keep digging yourself into a larger hole, and all that does is damage your credibility.

I won't say another word on the subject. I think everything's pretty cut and dry at this point.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
the first link does not go to the census bureau. They go to the HHS. however one of the links does go to the bureau but it only goes to 2005...it's not 2005 so umm yeah what i said stands.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 01:39 PM
Get a hammock. They're comfortable, cheap, and easy to store out of the way when you're not sleeping. Unless you get a freestanding hammock (which will take up room), you might have to put some hooks into the studs to keep it secure, but hey - that's a small price to pay.

Also, if you have the room, try just buying a trampoline. They're also cheaper than a couch, eccentric as hell, girls love em, and can be easily converted from storage, to entertainment, to bed. They're comfy too, but you'll wake up sore joints for the first few weeks. At least I did.

Both Hammocks and Trampolines are amazing to have... well, you're in collage. I'm sure you'd know.

OOH! Or you can get a hammock with bungie cords attached to it so you can have a Hammoleen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-10 11:41 ]</font>

Solstis
Jun 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
On 2007-06-10 11:06, DurakkenX wrote:
the first link does not go to the census bureau. They go to the HHS. however one of the links does go to the bureau but it only goes to 2005...it's not 2005 so umm yeah what i said stands.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/threshld/thresh06.html

2006. It was right next to 2005.

I don't trust hammocks. Too many childhood cartoons showing people getting injured.

amtalx
Jun 10, 2007, 11:50 PM
After reading all that, looks to me like quite an empirical beatdown. DurakkenX...you lost this one. Give it up.

Back on topic: If you can still fit in your room, its not enough.