PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Laptop Freezings

AUTO_
Jun 8, 2007, 11:53 PM
I'll start by saying that my laptop has never given me any issues--I've had it for like 4 years now and have never had a problem like this.

Coming home from college I brought my laptop home, and probably a week later I experienced the first freeze.

It seems to vary too--I can have one program running, or as many as seven, all the same it will just randomly decide to freeze (can't do anything but shut it off).

I've been told that this means one of two things:

- The HD is failing
- The laptop is over-heating

As far as the HD failing part goes, I ran a scan on my laptop using some downloaded program (tests all your performance speeds etc), and it was shown as running with 98% performance & efficiency. So I pretty much ruled out that it was an issue with my hard drive. Plus my HD still has lots of free space (moreso than in the past when it wasn't failing).

I only checked the temperature once, but it was between the acceptable ranges, so I didn't really think anything of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what might be wrong with my laptop? I can't understand why it would all the sudden decide to start freezing at random intervals (usually happens anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours).

And one other thing if this helps:

- It seems to only crash when I'm connected through the internet (Firefox)--that or while I'm on AIM (but usually always on both).

So far I haven't had a freeze while I'm NOT online.

The only other thing I can think of is there's some sort of memory issue. I'm not exactly a computer genius and when I just checked the CPU usage it showed it as being 42% just with having Firefox open...that's not right is it? The active processes had a lot of shit running I didn't think was going on, so could that be the problem?

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

VioletSkye
Jun 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
Most likely an issue with the ethernet controller or the port itself. If you have the drivers for it. uninstall then reinstall the network drivers.