PDA

View Full Version : I thought he was crazy before...

BlueDagger
Jun 10, 2007, 12:20 AM
Now I think he's just plain insane... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Video_Game_Proposal)

I'm not sure if everyone else knows about this, but I just read it all.
Its insanity, the man needs to be sent to a mental clinic.

"On April 4, 2006, Thompson commented on the online gaming blog Joystiq, suggesting a game in which the editors and writers for the blog were murdered. Thompson claimed that being targeted would let the writers know what it felt like to be a police officer or woman after the release of Grand Theft Auto.

Joystiq challenged its readers to develop such a game over the course of several weeks, and offered a prize of merchandise. Photos of each staff member were provided. [17]"

I actually think this part's pretty funny. I'd love to have a game where I could kill myself! I mean, as long as I was noted in the credits or something(or if maybe I was actually a game devolper and people knew who I was to an extent)

*day-dreams about spawn-camping himself*

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 12:54 AM
he's an idiot and in breach of contract... the intent is clear and so are all the needed elements. I think the game community as a whole should collectively sue him for
#1 defamation of character
#2 economic damages
and
#3 for being in breach of contract.

I'm sure that if the entire game world decided to come against him as a whole, and not just saying "stop messing with us please", we could come up with very well written and well argued points that a court of intelligent people would have to bow down to.

Blitzkommando
Jun 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
Poor little Jacky hates it when the 'big, mean, nasty' computer nerds say mean things about him. While (most of) the rest of his generation grew up, he somehow got stuck in a mental time warp to the fourth grade. And, just like back in the fourth grade, his mouth is a hell of a lot bigger than his capability and actions.

BlueDagger
Jun 10, 2007, 01:47 AM
On 2007-06-09 23:21, Norvekh wrote:
Poor little Jacky hates it when the 'big, mean, nasty' computer nerds say mean things about him. While (most of) the rest of his generation grew up, he somehow got stuck in a mental time warp to the fourth grade. And, just like back in the fourth grade, his mouth is a hell of a lot bigger than his capability and actions.

I haven't read up too much on him, bet I bet he's just a spoiled child, still depserately seeking attention.

Okay, okay... I supose I'm spoiled too, I pretty much have anything I could ever ask for(and I'm going out to buy myself a graphics tablet tomorrow!), but atleast I'm not a total idiot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 10, 2007, 02:03 AM
I don't think it's childishness, per se, that Jack Thompson demonstrates. He is, however, horribly misguided and apparently he either fails to accept, or is altogether ignorant of the concept that misbehavior of children and teenagers is the failure of the parents. The entertainment industry in general cannot be expected to be a proper substitute for parental guidance, and should not be assigned such a role. Its purpose is solely to entertain.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 05:56 AM
you wouldn't expect the football team to moderate the actions of it's fans, i see no reason why a game company should moderate the actions of it's fans. Likewise you wouldn't take a child to a topless bar nor would the owner let one in, but if you and they did I don't see how it would be the topless women's fault, but that is what jack thompson is saying should be the case. The naked woman shouldn't be naked in a titty bar cuz a child is there that was not supposed to be and should have been kept out by a parent and the owners of the bar.

He also is being very slanderous cuz he keeps calling / implying that those who play video games are murderous heathen thats will one day kill everyone. This refers to just about everyone in america under the age of 25...i see it as a prejudice remark along the same vein as considering latinos, blacks, and whites having a specific personality or trait because their skin color. It's not allowed in the papers to say "He was black so he must have robbed that store" or "That store got robbed, it must have been a black person". Comedians make fun of the DC sniper thing cuz everyone thought the guy was white and it turned out to be black. That's racism! The news anchors couldn't start cheering or even say "this is a little unexpected as it's ussualy whites who go on killing sprees and become serial killers." But they are allowed to say, "12 people were murdered today, it is suspected that they were influenced by Halo/maryland manson/D&D/Twisted Sister"

Jive18
Jun 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
Everything that needs to be said about Jack Thompson has been said before. He is not going to change regardless of popular opinion.

Wyndham
Jun 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
Jack really annoys me, but I think that the ESRB ratings should be enforced, and that the parents of kids who play them should be educated on the subject.

Blue-Hawk
Jun 10, 2007, 11:35 AM
The man blames video games for all the worldly violence. Has the man ever considered that humanity in a whole is a violent creature? The fact is that violence has been committed for longer than written history has been able to record. Neanderthal and protohuman species fought with and killed each other for little more than a scrap of meat on a bone. It's human nature to be violent or passive. More likely violent than not, though.

And on that matter, it's a moot point to fight for world peace. Our species can never truly achieve peace with one another. There's always going to be animosity towards others. Racism, money, religion... Those are the three biggest problems with us all. Violent video games are, by far, the very least of our problems and nothing to worry about.

Some people, such as me, find games, even violent ones at times, to be an outlet. A stress reliever of sorts. Even, maybe in the case of some MMO's, a wayto meet new people and possibly make new friends. Thompson is a hypocrit. Plain and simple.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-06-10 09:35 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jun 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
Old drama is old...

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 12:01 PM
The most humorous part of his argument is that it falls apart when you look at a very simple fact.

violent videogames really didn't start popping up till about 10-15 years ago...amazingly 10-15 years ago the rate of violence in america was higher ^.^ so if you look at just this one point it's easy to see that video games prolly have a good effect on the world, not a bad effect.

Of course this correlation is about the same as Al Gore's CO^2 chart and we all see where that has lead...America plans to do something about it in 43 years...unfortunately by that time according to the figures it will be too late but hey that seems reasonable lol

EphekZ
Jun 10, 2007, 04:33 PM
On 2007-06-10 09:38, KodiaX987 wrote:
Old drama is old...

yes very.

Jack really annoys me, but I think that the ESRB ratings should be enforced, and that the parents of kids who play them should be educated on the subject.

the esrb rating is enforced. it's just that parents are too dumb to notice a giant fucking M on the box.

Blue-Hawk
Jun 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
On 2007-06-10 14:33, EphekZ wrote:

On 2007-06-10 09:38, KodiaX987 wrote:
Old drama is old...

yes very.

the esrb rating is enforced. it's just that parents are too dumb to notice a giant fucking M on the box.

Yet, Gamesop/EB (since they own EB now) has a policy that if you sell an 'M' rated game to a minor, you are promptly fired. No warnings, just instant termination. I USED to know the manager of the Gamestop by my job, untill they instituted this policy and he was fired.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
Ya know...restrictions on the selling of merchandise doesn't hold much effect when the parent can just walk in and buy the game and give it to the kid...it's the same as a parent going in a nudey bar, snapping a picture and coming back out and giving it to their kid....then holding the bar responsible for the kid seeing the woman's tits v.v.

BlueDagger
Jun 10, 2007, 11:20 PM
On 2007-06-10 16:38, DurakkenX wrote:
Ya know...restrictions on the selling of merchandise doesn't hold much effect when the parent can just walk in and buy the game and give it to the kid...it's the same as a parent going in a nudey bar, snapping a picture and coming back out and giving it to their kid....then holding the bar responsible for the kid seeing the woman's tits v.v.

You have this thing about the nudie bars doncha? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kevino
Jun 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
I have a question... why does everyone (i hope you know who i'm talking about) hate video games w/ violence? If it's so bad DO SOMETHING REASONABLE ABOUT IT! Don't punish us for your lack of action. If a child has a game that seems damaging then take it. If it says 'M' on the back, don't buy it. If it's gta for a kid don't buy it. Simple things like this would, ahem 'hinder the damage, mentally and physically, on our children today' no quote just like to say ahem... but really how hard is it to just turn it off? or is it easier to try to sue people and make it harder for the common consumer get their product? It's just like the time people said comic books were damaging! Except now they have ridiculous studies like 'is gaming worse than drugs?'... sorry did I get off track?