PDA

View Full Version : Got scammed by a friend

burninglink5
Jun 10, 2007, 02:00 PM
My friend had scammed me out of 5mill today. I would never had thought he would do anything like this. I've known him since the start of the game, and I've done tons of runs with him. Over the past few months, I've been spamming missions over and over again, selling any rare I found, trying to save up for an S rank weapon. After 1000+ hours of hard work, I had finally scrounged up enough money to buy whatever I pleased. Knowing about the money I managed to make, he asked me to loan him 5 mill to show his friend, without any sort of explanation at all. Foolishly enough, I let him hold onto my money, only to take it. I've asked him to give it back, he just laughs at me. And unlike any regular scammer, instead of blacklisting me and leaving me alone, he constantly follows me to show off the stuff he had bought with my money. There is only one thing I can tell you: don't trust anyone. Even if you think someone is your friend, you should not trust them through my personal experience.
Also, if anyone would like to help with my situation, look out for this guy. He has 3 characters he frequently swaps between.

If you see him, file a complaint on him gamertag. Needless to say, I am crushed a friend would take that kind of money from me.

--
Mod edit: remove info to save your thread

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-06-10 13:09 ]</font>

Otis_Kat
Jun 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
If you willingly gave it to him, there's nothing anyone can do. It's a shame what a little money can do to someone, in game and real life.

Kylie
Jun 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
Some players on PSU would sell their family to the gypsies to get some of the rares, so it doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad that at least you got to see his true colors though... even if you had to lose something of value to find out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-06-10 12:06 ]</font>

Otis_Kat
Jun 10, 2007, 02:05 PM
Never lend something to someone in game, unless you can punch them in the face in real life and take it back http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Powder Keg
Jun 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
What a boneheaded move. Especially if you don't know them personally.

Telling everyone to file a complaint is also completely wrong. Is it fucked up that he took your money? Yes. But you gave it to him also, which was equally stupid. If someone borrows that much meseta what would they possibly need it for and how would they get it back so quickly to give it back?

Tekershee
Jun 10, 2007, 02:32 PM
That's why you should play PC! No-one does that because we're all rich! ¬_¬

jayster
Jun 10, 2007, 02:34 PM
Unlike everyone else, I feel bad for you. I would be spamming "SCAMMER" like no other to this kid and bothering him like crazy.

TetsuyaHikari
Jun 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
Well, I'm going to post how I feel about this from both perspectives. First I shall post for the victim's defense.

I believe that if you had known someone for this long, then the THOUGHT of them scamming you at all should have never occurred, so I can see why you did something such as this, thinking he would give it back to you.

If this person had shown even the slightest sign of being a bad person or someone who WOULD do something like this in the end, I'm sure you wouldn't have even considered giving him that much to just hold.

So, in the end, I can understand how you just thought, "Sure, why not?" and let him "borrow" it. However, "internet" trust, if you will..can only go so far. If it was someone I knew personally for a few years or went through high school with, then I'd be MORE trusting of that person, because I know their real life qualities would carry over in-game.

A MAJORITY of the time, if you find a jerk in a game like this where there are lots of people and such, their true colors from reality show. So, chances are..the guy who took your money is probably a jerk in real life too. Of course I realize this isn't the case ALL of the time, but most nice people I've met in-game have all been really nice outside of the game as well, and vice versa (a nice person outside of the game is really nice in-game).

Now, I will post how I feel about this from another perspective.

In a sense, I believe this should be a lesson for you to learn how much trust to put into an "internet friend" or someone you meet through a game with multiple people playing like this. Now don't get me wrong, there are some really good people in the game you can trust really well, however..in this society, it seems few and far between, and people are wanting to take advantage of another, then take that person's money or items.

Seeing as you acted willingly about this, despite how upset you may be, there's nothing which can be done. You can tell all of these people how horrible of a person he is, but in the end..you was willingly giving him this much money, therefore you're just as much at fault as he is.

I believe that this is no reason to blacklist someone or try to get all of these other people to hate him for something you had a part in. The only thing you can do at this point is try to find a positive point out of this.

Turn your rage into something a bit more optimistic and you won't need anybody to hate him or condemn him for what he's done, because you'll have learned a valuable lesson out of this experience, instead of just thinking of it as something horrible.

I understand it must be horrible to put that much effort into something, then watch as it turns to sand and slips in between your fingers, but if you always look at every bad situation as something horrible and don't gain anything from this experience, except a hatred towards someone, then you'll never learn from your mistakes.

In any case, I do hope you are feeling a bit better at this point. I'm a believer of karma and such, so..I'm sure that at some point, this bad deed of his will come back to him. Now whether it be while he's hunting for a rare and he never finds it because of this or if he goes through a similar situation in the future, I don't know, but I do believe he will have to answer for what he's done, one day.

That's just how I feel about this matter anyway =^..^=

natewifi
Jun 10, 2007, 03:01 PM
Wow, thats fucked up. How could somebody do that to someone...

VanHalen
Jun 10, 2007, 03:04 PM
To the OP sorry to hear that but also it was very foolish to lend him all of your meseta to show off or for anything for that matter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-06-10 13:07 ]</font>

L33t_M4st3r
Jun 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thought of the day: If you give someone 20 dollars and never see them again, it was probley worth it.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 03:25 PM
Wise words from the newbie.

Unfortunately, he's not "never seeing them again" - he's following him around showing off shit they bought with the money he stole from him.

Which I find positively HILARIOUS.

Jive18
Jun 10, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that was not a wise decision.

Lesson learned hopefully?

L33t_M4st3r
Jun 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
From what the person is saying though, it sounds like he has not blacklisted him though

EphekZ
Jun 10, 2007, 04:26 PM
On 2007-06-10 13:25, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Wise words from the newbie.

Unfortunately, he's not "never seeing them again" - he's following him around showing off shit they bought with the money he stole from him.

Which I find positively HILARIOUS.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

amtalx
Jun 10, 2007, 07:33 PM
5 mil is a lot of trust... My wife plays and I don't think I would lend even her 5 mil haha. Mostly because I know she would spend it and then be like "Ooops! sorry dear!".

Jaysky
Jun 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
What you need to do, is rally up some of your other friends, or possibly some people on PSO-world (would could also be your friend) and then when he comes around you alert everyone and then get everyone too run in and surround him. It'll at least be fun too watch, a group of people running around a guy in public screaming "N00B! SCAMMER! CHOCOLATE EASTER BUNNI BITCH!", you know, the usual insults.

That or you could make a party, go the the hardest possible area and then let him die. (of course bring along friends to make sure you don't die. don't let them help him, just let him run in and get murdered, then when he's all dead then go in.) Revenge is sweet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jaysky on 2007-06-10 17:58 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Jun 12, 2007, 09:11 PM
On 2007-06-10 12:32, Tekershee wrote:
That's why you should play PC! No-one does that because we're all rich! ¬_¬

That's why you should play GC! The most meseta could do is add more damage to your charge vulcans, or buy those 3k trifluids.

Night_Raid
Jun 12, 2007, 10:38 PM
Heh. I've had my experiences with internet scams, from both sides. So really, I'm in no way going to feign innocence in this matter.

"There's nothing you can do about it. But I hope you learn" is the general response to any case like this, that much can be said. The plain and simple fact of the matter is. There's benevolent people on the internet...But that just so maybe comprise....Oh .364% of the internet community. You dropped your guard because he was your friend, something that I personally would never do. The world is a cold place, you should know that bonds of trust are not forged of steel. Chances are he wasn't just trying to sucker you from the beginning, but rather saw a good friend and decided to sink his fangs into a rich opportunity, making his betrayal all the more venomous. I sympathize with your sorrow, but at the same time I have to criticize your apparently naive ways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Raid on 2007-06-12 20:39 ]</font>

Thalui89
Jun 13, 2007, 01:28 PM
Hate to sound harsh but it was extremely foolish to trust him with it. However having said that if you did honestly beleive he was a friend it is quite understandable. Next time dont give anyone anything if they refuse to give a valid explanation - in fact you better not do it all. My advise is you should black list him.

SolomonGrundy
Jun 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
Funny story: I played PSO with a buch of buddies from college. We all lived in the same town. So Anyway, one of the guys 'borrows' an Angel Harp, then won't give it back, saying he can't find it. The original ownser gets pissed, drives over the guys house breaks a window to get in and takes ALL the guys Game cube memory cards.

He leaves a note telling the Angel Harp 'thief' where to find them.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

oh, the games ppl play.

Mayu
Jun 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
On 2007-06-15 15:31, SolomonGrundy wrote:
Funny story: I played PSO with a buch of buddies from college. We all lived in the same town. So Anyway, one of the guys 'borrows' an Angel Harp, then won't give it back, saying he can't find it. The original ownser gets pissed, drives over the guys house breaks a window to get in and takes ALL the guys Game cube memory cards.

He leaves a note telling the Angel Harp 'thief' where to find them.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

oh, the games ppl play.

Rofl <.<

L33t_M4st3r
Jun 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
Everybody lies, but it rarely matters because no one listens.

Just thought you should know