PDA

View Full Version : What you think of the name Lucifer?

EJ
Jun 12, 2007, 05:41 AM
Now before we get into a religious thing here is some info I found on the name.

The word "Lucifer" comes from 2 Latin words:

Lux (=light) + ferous (=to bear or carry). Thus the name "Lucifer" means:Light-bearer or Light-bringer.

In the English version of the Bible the name "Lucifer" appears only one time--in Isaiah 14:12. This reads:

1. "How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning..."

2. "Lucifer" is not an English word, but a Latin word. The question is: who gave the world this Latin name?

3. In A.D. 382 Pope Damascus commissioned the scholar Jerome to make an official revision of the Latin versions of the Bible that were floating around in the Catholic Church. Jerome went off to a cave in Bethlehem where he proceeded to make his translation, supposedly based on the Hebrew text, but in practice based very largely on the Septuagint version that Origen had produced about 140 years earlier while in Caesarea.

Anyway, by A.D. 405 Jerome had completed his work, which we today know as "The Latin Vulgate" Bible. It is far from an infallibly accurate translation of the original texts. Rather, it is an interpretation of thought put into idiomatic, graceful Latin!

For a thousand years this Translation was without a rival--and herein lies the problem!

4. Jerome had understood that Isaiah 14:12 is talking about Satan. There the Hebrew word "heylel" is used and Jerome translated this into Latin as "lucifer"!

This is a mistranslation!!!

There is more text but I think it would go beyond what I post in one posted. But here is the Link (http://www.israelofgod.org/lucifer.htm).

But after researching it a bit since I was curious on the origin of the name I find that after all these years the name Lucifer meaning light-bearer, in my opinion was a mistranslation that for some reason early Christians decide to associate this name with the devils and in the whole Bible, let me rephrase that, in the whole original Hebrew Old testament text the name Lucifer was mention only twice but not for the devil but meaning the morning star or as we know it as Venus today.

But i found a name that goes with the devil much better and that is Halal; mad, boastful, a fool and foolish, even though they weren't talking about a evil demon but a Babylonian King and because of mistranslation that is why the name Lucifer is associated with Satan. I been looking into this for weeks now and I personally love the name Lucifer but what is my fellow PSOW'ers views?

Kent
Jun 12, 2007, 06:27 AM
It's ... a name.

And Bonus! It starts with the letter L. Isn't that great?

...*tries to resist using the phrase "pretentious crock"*...

UnderscoreX
Jun 12, 2007, 07:05 AM
Lacks heart.

DurakkenX
Jun 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
Actually much of the bible is left out and there are many more references to Lucifer than the regular bible... The morning star is a reference not to Venus, but to the fact that he was the first creation of god and the most beautiful. Of course Venus is also the most beautiful of all the creatures of the world. It's not a mistanslation, but rather a misunderstood thing...

Also "satan" is not one creature per say if you read the bible...it is the prosecuter of God's court.

The devil i forget about but i'm pretty sure it's just another word for lucifer...or one of the angels that fell with him...

As far as using the name...it's not just about sounds right or wrong as if that were the case i'd say yeah go ahead, but if you intend on giving it to a kid or changing your name to it... you should reconsider as it will cause problems for the kid...if the kid is a boy ppl will prolly shorten it to Lucy, let alone all the horrid shyt they'll have to go through because of the names

AlexCraig
Jun 12, 2007, 08:18 AM
I think the name has promise. Many people I know would like that name. I have a friend who sometimes likes to go by Damian (greek: Damianos meaning "to tame"). I don't think religion should get in the way of whatever this is.

amtalx
Jun 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Beelzebub!!

Shadowpawn
Jun 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
Bored much, EJ?

Rubius-sama
Jun 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
Same thing I think about the names Sephiroth, Cloud, SSJSJSGOKU, etc.

Eihwaz
Jun 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
According to the Scripture, Lucifer was originally a really high-ranking angel, but was kicked out of heaven for trying to start a rebellion. Hence Lucifer being considered an evil name, even though it has a rather holy-sounding translation.

jayster
Jun 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
All I know is that the most hated player in the game is named lucifer...

But on a side not, lucifer was an angel, not only that, but he was one of the most beautiful angels as well If I remember scripture right.

DurakkenX
Jun 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
On 2007-06-12 11:25, jayster wrote:
he was one of the most beautiful angels as well If I remember scripture right.

No he was not "one of" he was THE most beautiful CREATION and if you believe in the bible in any way he is still the most beautiful creation. He was also the FIRST creation, before that of heaven and earth and all other things, including the universe itself. He is the closest thing to God in all of existence.

I know some of you may want to argue theologically that Jesus is what I just said Lucifer was, but nowhere in any scripture is that ever said. Also if you take the side that Jesus was not a creation of God but a part of God then he couldn't have been the first creation, nor was he created ^.^

astuarlen
Jun 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
Regardless of the name's aesthetic qualities and possible true origins, I believe its first and strongest association for anyone even vaguely acquainted with Biblical lore would be negative. So I would tend not to use that name.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2007-06-12 12:58 ]</font>

Daikarin
Jun 12, 2007, 03:05 PM
I find it hard to believe that a name goes more or less with or without the devil by how it sounds like.

Personally, "Lucifer" brings back some unpleasant memories.

chaos89
Jun 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
kick-ass name =)

EJ
Jun 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
If you believe in the bible it's cool not question that but what I'm questioning is how the name was referring to the morning star and the morning star name was Lucifer but later called Venus. Because when dawn comes you can clearly see the star which was called Lucifer. But the name itself was for reason came to be with the devil but in the Hebrew script he was never mention by that name he was mention by heylel. I say they chose the name because it was a common name back then and made up the whole fallen angel thing because it sounded better than a fallen Babylonian King that is what I beginning to think.

Kevino
Jun 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
when i hear the word lucifer i think satan then i think of santa because they are one in the same.