PDA

View Full Version : Burn G vs. Poison G Traps.

pionear
Jun 15, 2007, 12:01 AM
Which ones are better?

It seems Burn G causes more dmg, but lasts for a short time.

It seems Poison G causes less dmg, but lasts longer.

Any thoughts?

And for the Record, I'm a Fighgunner, so I can't use Virus G.

SolomonGrundy
Jun 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
I wrote a guide regarding traps. see the stickies.

THere are 2 reasons to use poison
1) you can only carry 5 fire
2) something is immune to poison, but not fire. I cannot think of a case where this is true.

good news, figunner: virus inflicts 5% every 4 seconds regardless of SE level. Get thee a crossbow, or twin handgun set.

Arieta
Jun 15, 2007, 04:28 AM
Yea but most of the time that you use traps it's for the big mobs that need SE4, can xbows do that?

Hrith
Jun 15, 2007, 05:50 AM
Fighgunner? I'd only use Poison if I run out of Burn.

SaiSpagS
Jun 15, 2007, 06:23 AM
On 2007-06-15 02:28, Arieta wrote:
Yea but most of the time that you use traps it's for the big mobs that need SE4, can xbows do that?

SE3 also effects large mobs, and xbow can do that, very efficiently.

(G traps are only SE3 remember not SE4, and they stick on large mobs)

Realmz
Jun 15, 2007, 07:50 AM
SE3 does NOT work on large mobs only SE4 can work on them. Traps on the other hand always apply SE reguardless of the mob.

amtalx
Jun 15, 2007, 07:55 AM
The SE level of traps doen't matter. It will always stick unless that monster is immune. Thats the reason that you can hit Jarbas with basic traps, which are SE1.

panzer_unit
Jun 15, 2007, 08:37 AM
On 2007-06-15 05:50, Realmz wrote:
SE3 does NOT work on large mobs only SE4 can work on them. Traps on the other hand always apply SE reguardless of the mob.

Actually SE3 burn will stick to a number of large monsters, and SE3 virus won't. I don't know about other statuses 'cause those are the only 2 grenades I have at SE3 right now and I don't feel like plinking at stuff with my handgun.

CelestialBlade
Jun 15, 2007, 11:38 AM
Either is fine as long as you aren't overwriting someone's SE4 Burn/Virus. Nothing bothers me more than that.

Akaimizu
Jun 15, 2007, 11:46 AM
That was something I did notice. The Burn tick damage is definitely good against the Virus version, but mainly for SE4 burn. Virus acting the same regardless of level is definitely a nice, if not utilitarian, way to deal with virus-able mobs. SE4 burn, however, is way worth it when comparing to SE3 burn. It's a little bit worth it compared to Virus, but not something you should really put the effort into if you already threw virus on them.

Niloklives
Jun 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
also fighgunners can't use byllets past lvl 20 so se3 is something they'll never reach with their xbows.

SolomonGrundy
Jun 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
By the way, to end one aspect of the SE3/SE4 argument. Large creaetures ARE effected by SE3. Even SE3 that does not come from a trap. However, it is harder to apply,

SE3 poison comes from Damdiga, and I have poisoned many a polhavarah, whilst leveling my tech.

Arieta
Jun 15, 2007, 02:40 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:46, NIloklives wrote:
also fighgunners can't use byllets past lvl 20 so se3 is something they'll never reach with their xbows.

Well, not until AoI that is. With the bullet cap increase to figgys, they'll be able to get SE3 then.

pionear
Jun 15, 2007, 05:35 PM
On 2007-06-15 11:01, SolomonGrundy wrote:
By the way, to end one aspect of the SE3/SE4 argument. Large creaetures ARE effected by SE3. Even SE3 that does not come from a trap. However, it is harder to apply,

SE3 poison comes from Damdiga, and I have poisoned many a polhavarah, whilst leveling my tech.

But I know for a fact that Gol Dovas can't be hit by Virus G traps, but Burn and Poison G Traps work on them.

pionear
Jun 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
On 2007-06-14 23:07, SolomonGrundy wrote:
I wrote a guide regarding traps. see the stickies.

THere are 2 reasons to use poison
1) you can only carry 5 fire
2) something is immune to poison, but not fire. I cannot think of a case where this is true.

good news, figunner: virus inflicts 5% every 4 seconds regardless of SE level. Get thee a crossbow, or twin handgun set.

I know that...I was really refering to larger creatures (Jarbas, Gol Dovas, etc.)

Soukosa
Jun 15, 2007, 09:18 PM
The size of the enemy means nothing for SEs. Only their STA and their immunities to certain SEs has any impact. Gol Dolva happens to be immune to infection and thus is why virus traps won't work on it.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
On 2007-06-15 06:37, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2007-06-15 05:50, Realmz wrote:

Actually SE3 burn will stick to a number of large monsters, and SE3 virus won't. I don't know about other statuses 'cause those are the only 2 grenades I have at SE3 right now and I don't feel like plinking at stuff with my handgun.

You are 100% correct. My Nova hs never infected a large enemies with Dark shot lv11-20(with infection lv3), but burning shot lv11-20 does burn them.

RadiantLegend
Jun 19, 2007, 10:59 AM
I just noticed something, well never paid attention to it.

Burn G is lv 3 SE while Virus G is lv 4 (normal virus trap is also lv 4)

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
Actually, It's level 3, just that it follows the same rules as we mentioned before. All Virus levels do the same amount of damage. However, for non-traps, the SE Level only pertains to which monsters can be affected by that level SE. If A Virus lands, it has the same effect for the same percentage of health. Cept, Virus G Traps never fail on a monster that can be affected by Virus, so once it sticks, it's the same as any Virus. That's what we mean by "Virus acting the same regardless of level". It just differs by what monsters it can affect.

So in effect, if the monster can be affected by Twin Handgun virus (SE2), then you'll do no better if you applied it with a Rifle or Bow with (SE4). However, a big creature can't have Virus Applied by Twin Handgun, due to the SE level (and their natural SE resistance is higher than what an SE2 can penetrate), and thus you go to a higher SE level to stick it on them.

On the other hand, Burn actually increases damage by the Level of SE. Burn SE4 is a good percentage higher than SE3, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-19 10:20 ]</font>

Sophia
Jun 19, 2007, 12:36 PM
Virus takes 5% of enemy hp every 4 seconds.
lv1: 5 ticks over 20s = 25% hp
lv2: 6 ticks over 24s = 30% hp
lv3: 7 ticks over 28s = 35% hp
lv4: 8 ticks over 32s = 40% hp

an enemy that takes 2000 damage per tick is only taking 500 damage per second from virus. -_-;

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
Which still isn't bad considering that it simply adds to whatever you put on there, and it's a savior for bullet resistant enemies that take Jack per second from bullets.

panzer_unit
Jun 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
Virus is at its most impressive from a low SE weapon against small targets, where you can spread it across a lot of targets quickly (adding up to a large overall DPS boost) and usually have time left over tosuppress 'em with shock or freeze or PA's to reduce damage taken.

Akaimizu
Jun 19, 2007, 02:21 PM
Very true. It works great for a Guntecher because those quickly spread SEs end up doing more damage than they can ever think to do otherwise. They are severely limited in any ability to hit a group of monsters for as good as either tick damage, in higher levels.

(and have nothing for hitting multi-points on a monster)

It's why a Guntecher worships the DoT SEs.

Hrith
Jun 21, 2007, 06:34 AM
Sophia's right, if the monster is not resistant to Burn, Burn is better, especially since Lv4 Burn takes 5% HP per tick, just like Virus.

I only tend to use Virus when:
-monster is immune to Burn
-monster is of fire or light element and rifle has good DPS against it
-people use Frozen Shot, Reisei-sou, Frozen Hit or Yak Riga (Burn prevents Freeze, bad teamplay)
-There are a good numbers of monsters on which I must apply damage SEs. Since Virus lasts much longer, it hasn't run out by the time I concentrate on other monsters, and they continue to take damage even while I ignore them (doesn't happen much in teams, and traps can take care of these situations, anyway)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 22, 2007, 11:44 PM
If you want to maximize damage per trap, use Virus.
If you want to maximize damage per second, use Burn.

If you're out of the above, then use Poison. Or don't even bother.

Niloklives
Jun 23, 2007, 12:43 AM
also regarding virus and gol dova....gol dova are immune which is why it's not sticking. that's all. I've burned pleanty of goldova with lvl 21 yak banga, so i know it can be done.

Hrith
Jun 23, 2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah, Burning Shot is the best option for a ranger fighting Gol Dolva (stop typing it "Gol Dova" -_-), which is annoying because we get reduced damage for using fire element =/