PDA

View Full Version : Box or Cube?????? U decide.

oxxjuniorxxo
Dec 16, 2002, 09:04 PM
OK here is the deal...Right now I have $300 and am curious which one I would be better of with....Xbox...or Gamecube.

Please respond to this with feedback on why I should get one of them..

-JunioR-

Kalbelgarion
Dec 16, 2002, 09:47 PM
IMHO: (I'm assuming that you do not own either system)

If you have Broadband, don't mind voice chat, and/or can wait another month for the game, get the XBOX version.

If you have dialup, don't mind using word select/soft keyboard to communicate, and/or want the game right now, get the GCN version.

Yep...that about sums it up.

00JOE
Dec 16, 2002, 10:26 PM
Listening to people cuss each other out, asking for dupes, ETC. would be nuts! I went for GC for that reason.

oxxjuniorxxo
Dec 16, 2002, 10:33 PM
well, I do own the Gamecube, just not the game yet, and I can get the Xbox version when it comes out. I am just curious what would be better. Say that you have Xbox, and Cube, and PSO for both. Which one would you rather pay for to play online?? (Assuming that you have to pay to play the Xbox version)

Thanks again
-JunioR-

Vejita
Dec 16, 2002, 10:38 PM
Technically, a box and a cube are the same thing. Does this transfer into the PSO philosphy? I think so.

Kayumi
Dec 16, 2002, 10:46 PM
The simplest answer is, get whichever version you happen to pick up. If it's immaterial to you about the keyboard, the voice chat, the choice between dialup versus broadband, and the choice isn't limited by which consoles you own, it really won't matter. If you want the exclusive extra character, get the Xbox version.

I got the GameCube version because I own a gamecube, and don't own an Xbox. A lot of other people's choice is based on that as well.

In the end, what you're going to find out by this line of inquiry is a) which console the people who respond think is teh cool0r.

Only thing that matters is that we're all playing the game. If you want to be online with a specific person or group of people, find out what system THEY'RE playing with. If not...flip a coin.

MalambisBZ
Dec 16, 2002, 11:16 PM
Pick whichever system has the most games you will want to play. I'm personally switching to the xbox version from GC version when its out. I'm tired of the lack of chat and lack of support from sonic team. Hopefully microsoft will take better care of the servers.

Also a cheat device is comming out at the beginning of january for gamecube, but I don't think i'm allowed to say anymore here.

TheWiLL
Dec 16, 2002, 11:36 PM
Good question really but first let's get down to the Science.

Retail of GCN is 149.99
Retail of Xbox is 199.99

You need to make a GamerTag for the Box(50 for a year then after that monthly) and I'm not sure or heard of a separate fee for playing PSO on the box. By experiencing no keyboard, Live Communicator is gold and there's gonna be a USB converter for the Box soon.

You need to buy BBA or Modem seperately and a mem card. 8.95 a month. No keyboard for the US yet.

Controllers on both shouldn't be a problem.

XBox is having some sort of an exclusive character on PSO.

What's on the annoying side is that people make weird comments or pictures or whatever on GCN and it's going to happen in the Box as well.

People are going to be 10 times worst on the Box asking for a lvl 200 Mind mag in the ships.

It's cool with the split screen but I believe you need a mem card from Box to transfer and such which means more money.

Looks like Action Replay is a threat for GCN PSO.

Xbox has an uber security Fort Knox system that only a few people can crack it and play Linux and stuff on it. O_o

X-thirteen
Dec 17, 2002, 12:57 AM
i like how you posted facts and not an opinion.

but i from what ive read, once you come to an end of your one year xbox live subscription, youll just buy another yearly one.

WraithAkaMrak
Dec 17, 2002, 01:14 AM
Look at the other games for the systems, and see which ones you want the most. If online gaming is of interest outside of just PSO, then Xbox certainly has the online advantage. Otherwise, all the graphics and tech specs don't matter as much as what games you want to play.

If PSO is the ONLY factor, then...

GC: Available now, though you may have a hard time finding a modem or BBA, and possibly a hard time finding the game itself. Still no keyboard available, which makes communication more of a chore. The only option if you use dialup.

Xbox: We don't know WHEN it's getting released in North America (or Europe). It seems the earliest US release would be mid-January 2003, when the Japanese version launches. Though it could be months later. We just don't know. Will have voice chat on launch. Hopefully will also have USB keyboard adapter available. A rumored extra character, but no info on this yet.

The fees... it still hasn't been announced if Xbox PSO will or will not have a Hunter's License fee in the US. There's plenty of debate on it, but NO real answers. Just speculation. If it doesn't, Xbox Live is $50 for the kit and 12 months of play. After the 12 months, they haven't announced what will happen. It's been said that they're comfortable with a $10/mo charge for XBL, but again, not any real info. GC is $8.95/mo. Is there still a free month of play w/ GC? I think so...

Me, I'm trying to wait for the Xbox version. So I don't have to buy a BBA for a system with no other current online titles, don't have to import an expensive keyboard. And I've got an Xbox already. (I am likely getting a GC soon, though.) It seems the only real problem with the Xbox version is the waiting. (Though of course we don't have any reviews of it yet. Hopefully the reviews are on par with the GC version's reviews.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2002-12-16 22:25 ]</font>

CajunSamurai
Dec 17, 2002, 02:37 AM
Exactly... no one knows when the Xbox PSO is gonna be released. I'd wager at least 2 months from now, probably 3 or 4 months.

That said, I'd probably choose the Xbox version over the GCN, if you had the patience to wait a little for it to come out. I'm still a little skeptical about how well the voice chat feature would work on PSO, especially when travelling through Oberon-esque servers (UGH), but when playing with friends and in Challenge mode, I think it'd be absolutely awesome. Instead of stopping all movement and punching out an important message to M0R0N666 who's about to be blown away by De Rol Le in C4, I can quickly and instantly warn him to get out of the way, all the while avoiding attacks since both my hands are still on the controller. GREAT potential, I'm just not looking forward to hearing masked voices in the lobbies telling my HUcaseal, "U R HOT BAY BEE!111!"

Then there's the fact that it comes with a USB adaptor... VERY cool. This would solve the keyboard problem immedietly for a lot of people (I wouldn't mind hijacking my PC's USB k/b).

Broadband only network means that you, of course, need a broadband connection, but it seems like you probably have one or are planning on getting one if you're still interested in the Xbox version. Of course, you'll need an Xbox Live subscription along with the regular HL.
Anyway, broadband only AND hosted on MS' XBL servers means it's gonna play really damn well and fast without a HINT of lag. Not extremely important, but disconnections should be a thing of the past.

The hard drive makes it possible to patch the game both on AND offline = cheating can be annihilated. This for me is the biggest draw.

Otherwise... I'd expect it to be identical to the GCN version. I'm still VERY confused about the "exclusive" character, however... I'll believe it when I see it.

But it's really not that big of a difference between the two: Both are DAMN fine online RPGs and I'm only recommending the Xbox one over the GCN version because of small differences like voice chat and the inclusion of a USB converter (if we even get that in the US release). The difference is pretty slim.

Quake
Dec 17, 2002, 03:19 AM
It Really Doesnt Matter What System You Get At All, I Own A Gamecube, And I Would Get An Xbox Because Of The Cool Games But I Dont Like Microsoft At All 'Cos There A Multi-millionaire Company That Just Gets Richer. But Pso Sure Sounds Pretty Cool On Xbox

RedFox
Dec 17, 2002, 06:41 AM
i own both a cube and a box but i think i'll be sticking with the cube on this one. mainly due to the trouble i've gone to in order to get myself a US cube so that i wont have to wait forever to get a PAL copy. but had my circumstances been different and i had the choice (like many of you US gamers), then i'd still have to go with the cube version... not because ima fanboy or anything, but because IMO the box's controller is enough to make a grown man cry! i like my controllers to be somewhat smaller then the car i drive. although i'd like to see the new, smaller box controller...

Disastorm
Dec 17, 2002, 07:19 AM
I think the gcn one is better because mabye its just me but i think everyone on the xbox version will be newbs and their prabably wont be as many people on the xbox version as the gamecube version ( unless people buy the xbox just for pso). Xbox sold far less units than Gcn. Back in like April or something the Dreamcast was still selling out more units weekly than the xbox. I also like SonicTeam better than Microsoft. Microsoft sucks and will prabably be worse than SonicTeam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Disastorm on 2002-12-17 04:21 ]</font>

Sedyne
Dec 17, 2002, 07:54 AM
On 2002-12-17 04:19, Disastorm wrote:
I think the gcn one is better because mabye its just me but i think everyone on the xbox version will be newbs and their prabably wont be as many people on the xbox version as the gamecube version ( unless people buy the xbox just for pso). Xbox sold far less units than Gcn. Back in like April or something the Dreamcast was still selling out more units weekly than the xbox. I also like SonicTeam better than Microsoft. Microsoft sucks and will prabably be worse than SonicTeam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Disastorm on 2002-12-17 04:21 ]</font>

1. Horrible Accusation
2. Even if they are all n00bs wouldn't it be better? because noone would be trying to so much as figure out as how to dupe, and if they did they'd have alot less exp so they'd be f*****themselves over? =p

3) Sonic Team has become the laziest bunch's of whores. All of their games quality with the ONE EXCEPTION of PSO has gone to crap. As well has generally all of Sega's subdivision developers. As much as i HATE TO ADMIT IT, MicroSoft is putting out some very promising games this year and in the begining of 2003 Q1. I'd personally rather have XBox version cuz GC lags like a mofo. and no it's not me it's like everyone, it's not something to annoying but so many times you'll see your person right next to you talking then you'll see him like tranport to the other end of the room. Xbox shouldnt have the problem because it can process the data more efficiantly I believe.

ST needs to pull their assess and fix these little bugs they ignored.

Although, back to the orignal post. If you have 56k modem and allready own a gamecube...then defintily ge the GC version. If you have broadband, and own a gamecube i'd suggest the GameCube one cuz it's cheaper for exspenses. If you have broadband and an xbox (+maby have a gamecube) I'd say get Xbox version. Definitly should have less bgus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SedyneX930 on 2002-12-17 04:57 ]</font>

NoeGenisis
Dec 17, 2002, 07:59 AM
For me when pso gets over here in the UK i will buy a Gamecube because as much as i love PSO i dont want to spend £130 on a console for just one game, i did for the Dreamcast version but it was(apart from the actual game)all seconhand i want a console that is going to offer much more than A game and the Gamecube is going to do that with FF chronicles, Zelda etc....
I own a PS2 and have a multitude of great games 4 it.
My own opinion is look at the software that is being released and take the console that is going to give YOU the best value and long term usage.

oxxjuniorxxo
Dec 17, 2002, 08:01 AM
Thank all of you for the responces. Here is my input for myself http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. I already own a cube...So I am going to get the cube version. I am talking my friend into getting the cube version too, but he doesnt have a cube, he has a box. He has to money to buy Cube, just is not sure if he wants to. Some part of me just says "GO WITH CUBE" and in the end I know that I am going to. I do like the Microsoft Hard drive, that would make updates that much easier. The controller for Cube I like alot. Just holding it, I know that I am in for a ride. The games on both systems are pretty sweet. This I know though(or at least believe). I feel that Cube will be out for much longer than box. I feel that since day 1 the X-box has already LOST to cube. Think about this. The box used to be $299....6 months later went down to $199. Now it can be purchased for $199 and it comes with 3 games. That right there tells you something. Soon enough, you'll get The system, 6 games, a controller, memmory card, and a free year with X-box live.......That is my theory, now it will never happen, but it is still funny to think of.

Thanks again

-JunioR-

SirDonovanIII
Dec 17, 2002, 11:14 AM
I think your smart going with the Cube. Since you have $300 and already have the Cube, you will have money for other things you may want. Personally, I had to make a choice, Cube or Box, because I had neither. Went for Cube, just beacuase of more games coming out that I would enjoy, ie METROID, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.

oxxjuniorxxo
Dec 17, 2002, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I also think that if Halo was not released then the X-box would be dead. I strongly feel that Halo Kept X-box from staying on the market. X-box has such little variety of games, Yes it does have a Hard drive, and YES it does come with broadband. I wish Gamecube came with a harddrive....maybe they will think of some sort of add on pack....Well it has been decided. I go out today to TRY TO FIND A STORE WITH PSO for cube. I called a couple places yesterday nd wel.....no luck.
Thanks for all the input

-JunioR-

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 12:47 PM
The Xbox had a rough startup, but it's actually really starting to come into its own. Xbox Live is going to make it much more popular, and it's starting to build a library of games to make it worth owning one.

Besides, if anyone can afford to sell their console at a loss just to get it into homes, it would be Microsoft. A lot of the anti-Xbox feelings are based around the fact that it's a Microsoft console, but at this point, I think people have to get over it and face that the Xbox isn't going to vanish into the failed console market, the way a lot of people hoped it would. Xbox is here to stay, baby, and you better get used to it.

And, much as even I would have hated to admit, three months ago...that's a good thing.

Xbox Live offers a lot of features that neither the Playstation 2 or the GameCube have. And good features, too. The Box is gaining in popularity, and the Cube and the PS2 are going to have to respond by making changes and additions of their own, if they want to keep the lead they supposedly have. Which is seriously Good Thing style happenings.

I may just be clueless, but I don't remember there being an incredible amount of fight when the Playstation came out. Sega kind of rolled over and died as Sega seems wont to do, and the N64...well, I knew one person who had an N64, whereas it seemed 90% of my friends had a PSX. Sony didn't NEED to constantly improve their offerings just to stay alive...they'd won without the opposition even really trying to outdo them.

Even if I'm wrong, this time around there's three viable consoles, not just two, and the arguments over which is better seem to me to be a lot more public and popular than they were between the N64 and the PSX. This kind of competition is the absolute best thing gamers could ask for.

The third party developers are going to try, a lot of the time, to hit more than one console with their big titles. That's good, means everyone gets a piece of the fun on those titles. The exclusive stuff for each console is going to have to be incredible, too, just to keep people on that system.

In the end, it's really a good time to be a gamer, and whatever system you choose, you're in for some good times. For me, it's the GameCube, but I've been drooling more and more over Xbox and PS2 stuff lately, so who knows how long it'll be before I give?

ChokingVictim
Dec 17, 2002, 01:05 PM
nintendo lost me with the n64.

and to be honest it seems people love rag on the xbox game selection, when truth be told i don't see that many great exclusive gc games... christ, how many mario parties does one need

Kenks23
Dec 17, 2002, 01:20 PM
On 2002-12-17 10:05, ChokingVictim wrote:
how many mario parties does one need

No kidding.

I own the GCN version and I love playing it. I think I might investigate the xbox version and see what it's like. I don't own an xbox yet but I plan to sometime.

BTW, I'm not exactly impressed by all the xbox exclusive games yet. So imo, I don't see any reason to get the xbox system over the gc system (yet). Halo 2 looks cool but not enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kenks23 on 2002-12-17 10:23 ]</font>

fahdiz
Dec 17, 2002, 01:31 PM
I personally own a GameCube and a PS2. I used to have a GBA as well, and I kick myself every time I remember that I sold it. I want Fire Emblem, dangit!!!

I would stick with GC if I were you. I would guess that GC will be seeing substantially more traditional Japanese-style RPGs in the near future (hopefully a new Shining Force game? ah, well - I can dream) while the Xbox seems as though it is poised to dominate for sports games. Since I like RPGs a heck of a lot better than football sims, I'd be inclined to stick with the Big N.

ChokingVictim
Dec 17, 2002, 01:47 PM
the only reason one needs to buy an xbox right now

the jiggle factor and sapphic leanings of DOA xbv...
i mean come on, i sure as all hell won't like i'm too good for digitized tits and ass

------------------------------------------

metroid prime does look damn good, i do admit that, i bet it plays great too, hopefully the tables will turn when ninja gaiden and PDO get out there....

tom petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChokingVictim on 2002-12-17 10:50 ]</font>

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 01:47 PM
On 2002-12-17 10:05, ChokingVictim wrote:
nintendo lost me with the n64.

and to be honest it seems people love rag on the xbox game selection, when truth be told i don't see that many great exclusive gc games... christ, how many mario parties does one need

Metroid Prime.

WraithAkaMrak
Dec 17, 2002, 04:01 PM
I agree with Kayumi, that really all three systems are contenders, and each have their great games.

This general hatred towards Microsoft just seems silly. It's not like Sony and Nintendo are angels, themselves. They're multibillion dollar, multinational corporations too, right? And you know that the people typing their Microsoft hate mail are using Internet Explorer and Windows. Heh.

I agree that the Xbox doesn't have a lot of big-name exclusives other than Halo. (Though Splinter Cell seems to be proving its worth, even if it's coming to PS2/GC later.) But for me, I haven't seen all that much for exclusves I want on the GC. Metroid Prime and Zelda, when it comes out. It's all a matter of opinion.

TedEdFred
Dec 17, 2002, 04:09 PM
cubez0rz cuz it r0x0rz maj0rz
box sux0rz
g0t it?

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 04:12 PM
Way to contribute an intelligent, well spoken, and eloquent opinion to the conversation. I shall have to remember that. cubez0rs?

Honestly, why POST if you're just going to say something idiotic like that?

CajunSamurai
Dec 18, 2002, 06:06 AM
Sonic Team has become the laziest bunch's of whores. All of their games quality with the ONE EXCEPTION of PSO has gone to crap. As well has generally all of Sega's subdivision developers. As much as i HATE TO ADMIT IT, MicroSoft is putting out some very promising games this year and in the begining of 2003 Q1. I'd personally rather have XBox version cuz GC lags like a mofo. and no it's not me it's like everyone, it's not something to annoying but so many times you'll see your person right next to you talking then you'll see him like tranport to the other end of the room. Xbox shouldnt have the problem because it can process the data more efficiantly I believe.Some would argue. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_innocent.gif

First off... I partially agree about ST becoming the laziest bunch of whores. It seems like PSO is just about ALL they're up to these days, with a little supervision on the side of Sonic Advance, or something. This leads me to think that either they're
a) putting a LOT of work into PSO, and by the looks of how polished the GCN version is, this is very possible,
b) they're working on something unannounced on the side, something which obviously kick ass http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif or
c) they're goin' all out lazy.
I'm more inclinded to believe a or b, myself.

All of their games quality with the ONE EXCEPTION of PSO has gone to crap.Name a few. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_innocent.gif I honestly don't think I can consider one Sonic Team game anything less than BOMDIGGITY, BAY-BEE!!1 Yep, even Chu Chu Rocket, I love that game.

As well has generally all of Sega's subdivision developers.Ditto, but there have been a stink bomb or two... Just ABOUT one or two though (Blue Stinger is one of 'em), and lately they've been on fire, as they usually are. With Panzer Dragoon Orta ready to r0x TEH b0x in less than a month, I don't think Sega's gonna stop pumping out amazing games anytime soon.

I'd personally rather have XBox version cuz GC lags like a mofo. and no it's not me it's like everyone, it's not something to annoying but so many times you'll see your person right next to you talking then you'll see him like tranport to the other end of the room. Xbox shouldnt have the problem because it can process the data more efficiantly I believe.I've had no lag problems. Are you on broadband? Smooth as can be, for me. But I do agree, the Xbox version SHOULD be considerably smoother with its all broadband networks.

Crap. Sorry if I went offtopic there.

X-thirteen
Dec 18, 2002, 04:10 PM
On 2002-12-17 08:27, oxxjuniorxxo wrote:
Yeah, I also think that if Halo was not released then the X-box would be dead. I strongly feel that Halo Kept X-box from staying on the market. X-box has such little variety of games.

and you think gamecube has more?

BloodRayne
Dec 18, 2002, 04:13 PM
I love the GC version and i also own an xbox i will be getting it asap, i mean just the fact that there is voice chat for the xbox and not even a us keyboard for the gc is enough to make me go from one to the other, but i love the game no matter what system it's on, i've been playing the gc version for almost 200hrs since i got it, and i love pso

Blenjar
Dec 18, 2002, 04:37 PM
I got all systems except a gba which im thinking of getting for x-mas, I want a bba so badly and psox!~

Jepp027
Dec 19, 2002, 09:17 AM
I own a box and I am on X-box live right now, and I can tell you a few things.

-Lag, is still not a thing of the past, It happens when I play MechAssault when a 50 story building collapses, with 8 mechs using voice chat and all. It last for about a second and a half and very rare, and barely noticable really.

-Broadband is easy to come by really, If you are typing on your computer right now, chances are you already have a high speed network. I am on DSL now and it's great for Live.

-I play with 7 other voice chatters on Live also, don't think of a full lobby of chatters talking nonsense, the thing is that most people rarely use the feature, they are too immersed into the gaming experience. It's far from havoc guys.

-The new character is probrably on Live, but think about it, just to get that small advantage I bet you Microsoft paid around 10 million or more for that small feature.

-The cost of live is 49.99 in usa, and 79.99 in Canada, it pays for the microphone/headset and a full year of online gaming, no restrictions to any game server, it's a flat price.

-The ability to save downloads directly from the Live servers has a great deal of potential, this means if Microsoft really wanted they could make a new character at any time and toss it on the downloads section, however small things may, and I repeat may have a small price. They can charge you to download it, say 2.00 to have a new level. 10 new weps, new chars, would you pay this? I definatly would. Just give the owner of the Credit card two bucks and say thanks. They are already making new mechs and levels for MechAssualt on live, they come out in early January.

I seroiusly can go on and on guys, the list is extensive but all comes down to cost, replay value, and Access (to ISP, of course) and to fanbase and all those things.
But if you just can't wait I suggest the GC version.

Oh, and sorry for the long post guys(and girls).

Mag_Launcher
Dec 19, 2002, 09:37 AM
Oh boo-#@!#in'-hoo, man.

I'm not gonna jump ship like some hypocrite fanboy.

Reasons I'm not getting Xbox version:
1. Dumb people talkin' crap
2. Can't afford broadband
3. I refuse to play with fanboyish imbeciles.

Oh, and there will eventually be a US GC keyboard, you just gotta pull your heads outta your asses and wait before you turn tail and run like a whiney bitch.

WraithAkaMrak
Dec 19, 2002, 11:46 AM
On 2002-12-19 06:37, Mag_Launcher wrote:
Oh boo-#@!#in'-hoo, man.

I'm not gonna jump ship like some hypocrite fanboy.

Reasons I'm not getting Xbox version:
1. Dumb people talkin' crap
2. Can't afford broadband
3. I refuse to play with fanboyish imbeciles.

Oh, and there will eventually be a US GC keyboard, you just gotta pull your heads outta your asses and wait before you turn tail and run like a whiney bitch.
Well, not all Xbox owners are moronic fanboys. And really, most people wouldn't recommend "jumping ship" for those who have the GC version already (especially those who don't have an Xbox). But for those who don't have the game yet, choosing the Xbox version is not a bad choice. A keyboard may be coming for the GC, but we don't know when. The Xbox version will not be as crappy as you make it out to be. But you have the GC version, I wouldn't tell you to switch anyway. Hopefully, both versions will be equally great (once GC gets a keyboard and Xbox version get an actual release).

StratusFear
Dec 19, 2002, 11:59 AM
All I have to say for the GC version if you're deciding to get it is:

If you're worried about lag, get broadband and a BBA. If you're worried about getting a BBA, check your local walmart. I swear to god, mine has had two BBAs sitting on the bottom GC display case for weeks now. And EB around here usually has at least five whenever I venture in there every few weeks.

And whoever said everyone types their Microsoft hate-mail on Windows -- well, I type mine on my iBook, lol. But I still own and love a PC. You can't live without one because of how Microsoft owns the market. I can definitely live without an X-box, though. Not nearly as many good games as the competition from either Sony or Nintendo.

ChokingVictim
Dec 19, 2002, 12:09 PM
am i one of the few who can't wait for the trash talk joy of live sound