PDA

View Full Version : Project Sylpheed demo is... Surprisingly good.

Kent
Jun 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
Project Sylpheed, for those that don't know, is a space combat game, much in lieu of Freelancer and the Wing Commander series.

You know, the kind of game we have a severe lack of, in this day and age.

The demo for Project Sylpheed was released a few days ago, to the Xbox Live Marketplace. I downloaded it, tried it out, and... It's actually pretty fun.

Albeit there's only one mission, and there's no way in hell you'll have a chance of beating it without doing the tutorial first, as the controls are pretty intricate, but just feel right once you get them down.

Gameplay-wise, the game plays like a combination of Freelancer and Ace Combat. The flight is more sim-style than Freelancer's, but it's got all of the in-space dogfighting mechanics you'd expect (such as having few things to worry about running into, huge areas to fight in, and the classic "engine kill" move), as well as a good smattering of weapons in the demo.

Machineguns and beam weapons for the nose of your fighter, then all sorts of missiles, railguns, mines, cannons and the like for your other three hardpoints, many of which have some interesting quirks.

For example, one of the missile weapons you can purchase, allows for 60 simultaneous lock-ons... And not only allows multiple locks onto a single target, but also allows you to look around your ship to lock onto enemies you're not facing (contrary to how many missile systems work), and then the projectiles it fires don't home, but instead, launch all of their homing warheads from it after being fired.

So, really, the game feels less arcadey than most space combat games, and has a good bit of that Ace Combat-style sim feel. That, and it's coming out next month as a budget title ($40, unless that plan's changed), so it should be a pretty good purchase, assuming that this is a good taste of what the game's really like.

Midicronica
Jun 16, 2007, 03:45 PM
I remember watching the promo for this off the JP Marketplace about a year and half ago and got pretty excited about it. I don't know why I was so suprised to see this game be localized, but I was. I've played the demo and I enjoyed it a lot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Sinue_v2
Jun 16, 2007, 03:51 PM
Albeit there's only one mission, and there's no way in hell you'll have a chance of beating it without doing the tutorial first

I did, though I mostly whored on lock-on missles since the nose-gun was difficult to aim without knowing how to lock the reticle on and match speed. Anyhow, yeah - the demo was pretty fun, but I couldn't see myself actually buying the game.

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/game_pages/game_boxes_large/silpheed.jpg

roygbiv
Jun 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
DOES IT HAVE LIKE A FREEFORM COMPONENT AND ECONOMIC MODEL ALA FREELANCER/PRIVATEER[elite]?

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 18, 2007, 10:21 AM
I might get this if it'll appear on the PC, but I'm still pining for a game like the Silpheed for the Sega CD. (And the one before it that I never got to play.)

Kent
Jun 18, 2007, 12:10 PM
On 2007-06-17 14:02, roygbiv wrote:
DOES IT HAVE LIKE A FREEFORM COMPONENT AND ECONOMIC MODEL ALA FREELANCER/PRIVATEER[elite]?

I'm pretty sure that it's strictly based around combat (you know, like Ace Combat is). No, caps lock won't help, either.

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 18, 2007, 01:01 PM
Oh...shit...I just realized something. I really, REALLY hope to fight Zakarite's huge whateverthefuckitwas that was the final boss in the Sega CD game...(or the much easier version of it on the PS2 one)

roygbiv
Jun 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
ya ok... lame.

Kent
Jun 18, 2007, 05:30 PM
No doubt, though, I would like something like that... Like an MMO version of Freelancer (it was originally planned to be a persistant world, but that kinda got scrapped) - I'd really like to see a professionally-developed version of Space Cowboy... >_>

Night_Raid
Jun 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
I also played throught the demo....For about 10 minutes after the tutorial. As that's all the time I had to work with. For the most part I hate games that are based around space I.E. EVE (Do us all a favor and burn in hell with your creators) But this one was actually pretty damn good. It felt almost like an expanded Acecombat game. However, the only thing that kind of irks me is, visibility. In the first mission there seemed to be a little too much clutter for my taste, and the backdrop didn't help either, mind you. However, overall I might actually buy this one.....Pending I go out and buy a 360.......Hold on- you can lock targets behind you with the condor...Where the hell was I for that in the tutorial?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Raid on 2007-06-18 17:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Raid on 2007-06-18 17:02 ]</font>

Parn
Jun 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's no Wing Commander, but I enjoyed it just the same.

My kingdom for a Wing Commander II remake.

DLShAdOw
Jun 18, 2007, 11:18 PM
I got a B ranking!

Guntz348
Jun 20, 2007, 09:19 PM
On 2007-06-16 13:51, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I did, though I mostly whored on lock-on missles since the nose-gun was difficult to aim without knowing how to lock the reticle on and match speed. Anyhow, yeah - the demo was pretty fun, but I couldn't see myself actually buying the game.

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/game_pages/game_boxes_large/silpheed.jpg

Ya know I actually had that game and Thexder for my Apple IIGS when I was kid. Yeah thats right I had an apple IIGS, what of it? =P

Rubius-sama
Jun 21, 2007, 05:29 AM
I've been watching this game for a while. It looks pretty from the screenshots. I didn't know there was a demo >_>

*goes off to download*