PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson, you've got some balls

Jaysky
Jun 16, 2007, 08:21 PM
As my topic name clearly states, this bastered has some balls to be laying out threats towards the almighty Bill Gates. This is actually quite old news and was released on May 23rd but nobody spotlighted this topic yet. Anyways, Thompson wrote an email (or letter, not sure) to Gates about the Halo 3 Beta and talking about how the the M for Mature thing isn't enough and kids are going to get their hands on it, blah blah blah. So then he goes threatening Gates to cancel the release of Halo 3 or else he will take it into his own hands basically.

Bill Gates
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, Washington
Re: Halo 3

Dear Mr. Gates:
As you know, the Federal Trade Commission has repeatedly found that games rated "Mature" by the video game industry-captured Entertainment Software Rating Board are routinely sold to kids under the age of 17 despite the age rating. The most recent failure rate of the ratings on "Mature" games, according to the FTC, is 42%. The entire rating system is a fraud, and "broken," the latter description aptly provided by Senator Hillary Clinton.

As you also know, Lee Boyd Malvo trained on Microsoft's Halo to further enable him to become the remarkably efficient "DC Beltway Sniper." That was reported by NBC News at the time and was noted in Malvo's criminal trial.

You appeared on CBS' 60 Minutes II and rather revealing and usefully noted that "the cool thing about these games is that they transport you to a world you think is real." Precisely. Capcom has recently disclosed to investors that your video game industry's violent games, sold to children, pose a real hazard to the health of the industry. Right on.

The hyperviolent Microsoft Xbox 360 game Halo 3 is scheduled by your company for commercial release in September of this year. The Beta version that was released last week shows us all just how violent the game is and how inappropriate it is for play by anyone under 17, as the "Mature" rating it will surely receive indicates.

Here's the deal, Mr. Gates: Either Microsoft undertakes dramatic, real steps, through its marketing, wholesale, and retail operations to assure that Halo 3 is not sold, via the Internet and in stores, directly to anyone under 17, or I shall proceed to make sure that Microsoft is held to that standard by appropriate legal means. I have done that before successfully as to Best Buy, and I shall do so again as to Microsoft and all retailers of Halo 3.

Regards,
Jack Thompson

(For more go to http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/05/23/crazy-jack-thompson-goes-after-halo-3/ . I found this off google so don't think I was wandering this site)

I'm with the people on the website when they say, "-we wish you the best of luck Jack in going toe to toe with Microsoft's lawyers. Their legal team is twice the size of their entire Windows division."

Solstis
Jun 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe Bill Gates is scared. Maybe Microsoft will get around to fixing Windows. Haha.

Wyndham
Jun 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
Jack needs a heavy kick in the teeth.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
Aliens are people too?

I've never met these aliens but they'd probably disapprove of the alien killing games, while we're all not killing them at first sight after training in the hyper-violent alien/spaceman killing simulators.

Perhaps Thompson wants to be part of those big events and legal precedings like Malvo but never is and brings it up as if he was a part of it.

What did he do to Best Buy? Anything significant?

ABDUR101
Jun 16, 2007, 08:48 PM
Jack Thompson is the biggest crock of shit this side of a waste sewage plant. Ignore him. We call those people "Ambulance chasers", he's not the first, he's not going to be the last. Let the shit roll down hill as it should.

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 08:48 PM
Perhaps mr Jack thompson needs to send the letters to the proper people...Halo isn't made by MS... you'd think someone educated as a lawyer would do a little bit of simple research...

Sord
Jun 16, 2007, 08:49 PM
On 2007-06-16 18:21, Jaysky wrote:
As you also know, Lee Boyd Malvo trained on Microsoft's Halo to further enable him to become the remarkably efficient "DC Beltway Sniper."
right, because training with a video game teachs you how to properly load a sniper, set the scope, deal with recoil, and stash the wepon from hidden eyes.

what a load of BS. The only reasonn the guy is going after Halo is because it's popular.

UnderscoreX
Jun 16, 2007, 08:49 PM
On 2007-06-16 18:41, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
What did he do to Best Buy? Anything significant?

Stopped shopping there ?
What says Bill even reads this, i'm sure he gets thousands of emails everyday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UnderscoreX on 2007-06-16 18:52 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jun 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
I thought it was proven already that videogames have practically no direct impact on weapons and munitions training? If videogames teach our children how to kill so effectivly - then why are we footing the bill for hundreds of hours of military feild training?

For that matter - why the hell are we sending our army out to invade other countries? I mean... why not just send one exceptionally talented videogame player into the feild and have him take down the whole of the extremeist terrorist regieme? Shit, if Jack is right - Fatality could win the war single handed. The dude fucking rocks at Quake and Unreal Tournament, so why not?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 16, 2007, 08:58 PM
On 2007-06-16 18:49, UnderscoreX wrote:
Stopped shopping there ?
What says Bill even reads this, i'm sure he gets thousands of emails everyday.

I asked mostly since I don't keep up with his news.

But yeah I figured he can't really do anything. Threatening to use all his 'legal powers' as if he has any other medium to try to get his way besides kicking and screaming.

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 09:01 PM
Because, Metal Gear Solid definitely NEVER got an M rating.

Jack was nimble, Jack was quick, but Jack still sounds like a big 'ol dick.

Kent
Jun 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
It's because he can't go after Take-Two at the moment, that he decided to pick on Microsoft.

While I do agree that M-rated games shouldn't be sold to minors, I also agree that Jack Thompson needs to de-wad his soiled panties, and drink a nice, big, steaming cup of STFU. It's getting old, and fast.

Kevino
Jun 16, 2007, 09:23 PM
It's been said but I'll say it again... STFU! Don't these people understand? The rating system isn't "broken", people just don't check the fricken kids age! Don't blame the Soft blame the clerk! I personally don't believe in the bs about children's violence from video games although i do think that the language may carry over... but still. (No offence to anyone this is just my opinion) Parents and sellers are to blame for the "underage buying of games" (despite some beliefs) it's not a drug. Meh I doubt they will ever learn... they just want to blame something for violence it's not movies, it's not tv, it's not the crappy music oh nay nay! It's the video games. There's my little rant.

Nixia
Jun 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
Anybody else fine this absolutely hilarious? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DonRoyale
Jun 16, 2007, 09:54 PM
OH THE KIDS, WHATEVER SHALL WE DO~

Not like half these kids haven't been told to keep a firm grip on reality, right? And some parents get the picture of ratings, unless you have 4 year-old pickpockets http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I think someone's just trying to be an attention whore. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

*agrees with site as well*

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
don't worry...we'll have 3D imaging and virtual reality to blame our problems on in the future...

jack isn't blaming the developers, he is blaming the hardware manufacturer now so now he's even more removed than before from the problem....

Also... anyone know of a video game community, fight back against jack website? i think it'd be a great site since the gaming community, while we do have voices we do not have a single hard voice... We have nothing to fight back against these bullshyt organizations and various people that are going after the net and games.

amtalx
Jun 16, 2007, 10:15 PM
Something tells me Bill Gates' stable of legal goons is bigger and stronger than Jack Thompson's. I think Jack bit off more than he can chew with MS.

Eihwaz
Jun 16, 2007, 10:31 PM
On 2007-06-16 19:01, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

I admit. I lol'd, hard. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Being both an avid gamer and a firearms enthusiast, I laugh heartily at anyone who thinks that shooting a gun in a video game is anything like shooting a gun in real life.

I can pick up and play an FPS and play with exotic guns and do quite well within a couple of hours, while it takes days and days of training with a real gun to start to make progress.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Jun 16, 2007, 10:56 PM
On 2007-06-16 19:06, Kent wrote:
It's because he can't go after Take-Two at the moment, that he decided to pick on Microsoft.

Doesn't Take-Teo have something to do with that "Man-Hunt" or something or other?

Digital Unrest puts it in an interesting view: Legally, Jacko can't do anything to slander the company or stop the production/sale of this game, or something like that.

You appeared on CBS' 60 Minutes II and rather revealing and usefully noted that "the cool thing about these games is that they transport you to a world you think is real." Precisely.

Uh, I think he's talking about the graphics and controls, dumbass.

Also, all of these posts aren't changing anything, sure we can say what we think of this guy, agree with each other, and give our opinions, but what does it do in the long run? Nothing. It sure ain't shutting Anal-Rententive Man up, that's for sure. Something's only gonna change if we A: ALL ignore this guy, and since that's not gunna happen; B: have a public voice speaking out for the gamers' side of the argument.

But we could C: just keep discussing in forums; fine by me, he's only got a couple more decades left as i see it ¬_¬

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 11:24 PM
On 2007-06-16 20:31, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2007-06-16 19:01, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

I admit. I lol'd, hard. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Being both an avid gamer and a firearms enthusiast, I laugh heartily at anyone who thinks that shooting a gun in a video game is anything like shooting a gun in real life.

I can pick up and play an FPS and play with exotic guns and do quite well within a couple of hours, while it takes days and days of training with a real gun to start to make progress.

Yeah. A controller rumble and a 2 degree offset on your aiming reticle (because we even get those in real life) is TOTALLY the equivalent of the rifle's recoil actually bruising your shoulder.

And for how long the guy has left, I give him less than a year before he goes bankrupt if he follows through with legal action. If he does, he's ****ed.

Sinue_v2
Jun 16, 2007, 11:44 PM
jack isn't blaming the developers, he is blaming the hardware manufacturer now so now he's even more removed than before from the problem....

He's not going after Microsoft because they make the 360 Halo will be played on, he's going after Microsoft because they own Bungie. Just like how the Church of England went after Sony for the Manchester Cathedral scene in RFoM, and not Insomniac Games. Sony owns Insomniac.

Does that sound even slightly hilarious to anyone else? I mean... lets look at it from an MMORPG perspective...

Jack the Dwarf: Damn, soloing rabbits are easy kills - but those evasion moves are a pain in the ass. I think I'll try something different. Hello, what's this monster? It's ten times the size of my character, level 95, and named "Horrible Rape - don't even fucking try". I think I'll go for it... I bet it has some GREAT loot! Leeerrroooy....." well... you know the rest.

Kevino
Jun 16, 2007, 11:53 PM
lol basically you hit it on the head w/ that one.

NPCMook
Jun 17, 2007, 12:42 AM
Several months ago Jack appeared on G4TV on Attack of the Shows "The Loop" where he and a colleague, and Adam Sessler debated whether or not games were the cause of teen violence. According to a poll on Jack's site for anti-gaming people stated that violence has actually decreased since the creation of video games.

Also Adam Sessler called Jack insane on live television... He is now my hero http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Axispoint
Jun 17, 2007, 12:54 AM
On 2007-06-16 22:42, NPCMook wrote:
Also Adam Sessler called Jack insane on live television... He is now my hero http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bwhahahah!

Anymore, if I see Jack has been up to his usual stuff, I might read about it, but I don't pay it much mind anymore. I might have a little laugh about it, like the quote above. I don't even care enough about him anymore to be offended, in all honesty. He's just...there.

Could also be that I have more important things to think about (like getting over this nasty sinus infection...).

Weeaboolits
Jun 17, 2007, 12:59 AM
The question is, does anyone listen to him, or is he just in the media because news stations want the ratings? ;]

NPCMook
Jun 17, 2007, 01:15 AM
His daughter and hilary clinton listen to him >.>

NPCMook
Jun 17, 2007, 01:49 AM
http://nintendo.about.com/od/screenshots/ig/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man.--2e.htm How did this woman become a doctor!?

Chuck_Norris
Jun 17, 2007, 02:10 AM
On 2007-06-16 18:36, Oran1324 wrote:
Jack needs a heavy kick in the balls.

fix'd

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2007, 02:12 AM
On 2007-06-16 18:50, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I thought it was proven already that videogames have practically no direct impact on weapons and munitions training?

Actually, the military has reported that soldiers who played a lot of video games while growing up tend to be better pilots and tank drivers, and so on. I don't recall anything about them being better at the actual useage of firearms, though for what it's worth, I can see how video games can improve the players' ability to devise and apply tactics in a combat situation-- which I believe can not only save lives, but can be a mental skill that is useful in the business world, as well.

Still, I think that as the birth years of judges become higher numbers, Jack Thompson's likelihood of success will only decrease. Cheeseandrice, what a fool.

Sinue_v2
Jun 17, 2007, 02:54 AM
According to a poll on Jack's site for anti-gaming people stated that violence has actually decreased since the creation of video games.

That's got nothing to do with a poll. It's a statistical fact that crime (violent crime, at any rate) has been on a downward trend since the mid-70's. It has more to do with prison reforms and a burgeoning middle class than it has to do with videogames.

Also Adam Sessler called Jack insane on live television... He is now my hero

A hero? Because he stated the obvious about a rather insignificant man? Bah.. he's still a network tool.

does anyone listen to him

Depends. I'm sure old people eat his speil up - but anyone who's grown up in the 70's and beyond pretty much know he's full of shit. Old people watch the most news, are most active in politics, and are the most concerned about those "damned kids on my lawn". So yes, he's a lunatic - but he's preaching to the ignorant.

Actually, the military has reported that soldiers who played a lot of video games while growing up tend to be better pilots and tank drivers

I think that has more to do with hand-eye coordination and being familiar with the sensation of manipulating a system from the outside, whatever the term for that is. I wonder what the difference in skill there is between pilots who play games and who didn't when going from the more hands-on hydrolically controlled aircraft to those that are more fly by wire craft which have computer control interfaces between the pilot and the aircraft.

And yeah Meria - the Military does use computer games to help train soldiers, but only in the aspect of tactical thinking and teamwork. It's useless for training in marksmanship, physical conditioning, and nearly all other aspects of being a soldier. Perhaps when VR and Holodeck technology becomes available, but for now - No.

So if anything - you could say that videogames helped the Beltway Sniper, Columbine, and Vtech slayers become more tactful and adaptive killers. However, is tactical thinking and adaptiveness really something we don't want our nation's children learning?

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2007, 03:07 AM
On 2007-06-17 00:54, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I think that has more to do with hand-eye coordination and being familiar with the sensation of manipulating a system from the outside, whatever the term for that is. I wonder what the difference in skill there is between pilots who play games and who didn't when going from the more hands-on hydrolically controlled aircraft to those that are more fly by wire craft which have computer control interfaces between the pilot and the aircraft.

And yeah Meira - the Military does use computer games to help train soldiers, but only in the aspect of tactical thinking and teamwork. It's useless for training in marksmanship, physical conditioning, and nearly all other aspects of being a soldier. Perhaps when VR and Holodeck technology becomes available, but for now - No.

So if anything - you could say that videogames helped the Beltway Sniper, Columbine, and Vtech slayers become more tactful and adaptive killers. However, is tactical thinking and adaptiveness really something we don't want our nation's children learning?

I concur. It is pure absurdity to believe that an Xbox 360 controller can, in any way, prepare you to be a marksman.

I think Jack Thompson is indeed talking more about the mental aspect, though. Even still, if the fellow this accusation cites had played the game specifically with the idea that he was training to, as my cousin would say, shoot some motherfuckers, then I submit that the problem undeniably began long before he picked up the game.

All things considered, the number of game players that freak out and start shooting people is drastically lower than the number of game players that don't freak out and start shooting people. So much so, that when it happens, it still makes national news.

Blitzkommando
Jun 17, 2007, 04:01 AM
I dunno, if he were younger I would say his strange fear of games came from him being raped as a child by a Pong arcade cabinet while getting his groove on at Chuck E Cheese's. But, since he's not I'd say it comes from blatant ignorance and complete lack of acceptance that the world, does in fact, change. People like him existed when television became big, and back when radio got big, and even when the first books were written in the vernacular (especially religious texts). What's the one common trait they all shared? They all died completely forgotten by history and the only people that were remembered were the 'revolutionaries' who started the new world, so to speak. I mean, I remember reading old articles on when the Three Stooges were around and how their antics would cause such damage should children ever be 'unfortunate' enough to watch.

Jack's a dinosaur and he'll end up going their way sooner than most of us. In the end, even if he wins a little, we'll win in the end because the world will have progressed and he'll be forgotten while Pac Man, Halo, and Counter-Strike go down in history as the first steps towards truly interactive entertainment, and for the last two, in a worldwide way.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Jun 17, 2007, 10:12 AM
How is Ms. Pacman LESS violent than Pacman? It's the same game!

also Jack's daughter listens to him because she's been "conditioned" into doing so >.> <.< >.>

NPCMook
Jun 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
On 2007-06-17 08:12, Flwl3ssCowboy wrote:

also Jack's daughter listens to him because she's been "conditioned" into doing so >.> <.< >.>

As Ronin said... Its the bow

Personally I think they both hate games because that goomba on level 1 of The Super Mario Bros. kept kicking their ass

Flwl3ssCowboy
Jun 17, 2007, 04:35 PM
On 2007-06-17 10:10, NPCMook wrote:

On 2007-06-17 08:12, Flwl3ssCowboy wrote:

As Ronin said... Its the bow

Personally I think they both hate games because that goomba on level 1 of The Super Mario Bros. kept kicking their ass

ah yes. THAT goomba. the one the scares the crap out of anyone playing the game for the first time.

ah the memories

TheyCallMeJoe
Jun 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
*Also agrees with site*. But if by chance it encounters a miracle, Jack Thompson will most likely be molested by the consumers everywhere, so in the end it doesn't matter. Sounds like another goody goody who wants some attention....reminds me of that one guy who sued McDonald's because he spilled overheated coffee on himself while driving. Smarts.

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-06-17 15:46, TheyCallMeJoe wrote:
*Also agrees with site*. But if by chance it encounters a miracle, Jack Thompson will most likely be molested by the consumers everywhere, so in the end it doesn't matter. Sounds like another goody goody who wants some attention....reminds me of that one guy who sued McDonald's because he spilled overheated coffee on himself while driving. Smarts.

Didn't she (I could have sworn it was a woman) become a millionaire after winning the lawsuit?

Nixia
Jun 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
On 2007-06-17 17:09, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

Didn't she (I could have sworn it was a woman) become a millionaire after winning the lawsuit?

Yeah, she did. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

NPCMook
Jun 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
On 2007-06-17 19:14, Nixia wrote:

Yeah, she did. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/136871

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-06-17 19:27 ]</font>

Flwl3ssCowboy
Jun 17, 2007, 09:50 PM
On 2007-06-17 19:14, Nixia wrote:

Natural selection isnt working fast enough. Nor as well as it should be.

NPCMook
Jun 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
Natural selection has failed due to technology... the intelligent are failing while the stupid are breeding much much faster... We are sooo fucked in the future ><

Go watch Idiocracy... the jokes tend to repeat WAY to much, but it has a VERY valid point

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
I stopped reading at the Lee Boyd Malvo part. How the fuck can you train to be a sniper in a game that forces you to use soft-lock? But, uh..where's the heat on Silent Scope then?

Neith
Jun 18, 2007, 10:40 AM
Haha, he really thinks they won't ship Halo 3? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Go back to living under a rock Jack, with all the people wrapping their kids in cotton-wool to keep them from being exposed to the evil,mind-destroying world of pixelated violence.

Oh god, this made my day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Solstis
Jun 18, 2007, 10:53 AM
On 2007-06-18 05:05, NPCMook wrote:
Natural selection has failed due to technology... the intelligent are failing while the stupid are breeding much much faster... We are sooo fucked in the future ><

Go watch Idiocracy... the jokes tend to repeat WAY to much, but it has a VERY valid point

Social Darwinism is a failed, failed concept that's about 60 years outdated.

There is absolutely nothing to support this point of view other than narcissism.