PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Advice

Synyster
Jun 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hey all, I finally got my hands on a Crossbow for my Beast FighGunner today, I was just wondering which elements I should be levelling for it... and are there any other things I should know about using Xbows?

I'm currently using ice with my mechgun, so probably won't use ice with crossbow aswel...

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
You'll get different answers, but the usual suspects are always nice. Fire, Ice, Dark, Shock.

Actually, Shock was my 1st Xbow bullet because I was covering for an otherwise weakness against strong and fast melee-type monsters. Shock takes any monster that is all about physical attacks and puts them in a position where all they can do is look mad at you.

A very fun element to apply on Xbows. Some will say ground, but I tend to give the advice to get Light bullets before ground. In most cases, if you want to effectively silence a monster, confusing them does just as well (since it utterly destroys a tech's or projectile's ability to hit players during that time), but with the added incentive that they might hit each other with the attacks.

amtalx
Jun 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well, that's a tough one. Honestly, unless you have a Lvl 30 bullet cap they are going to suck. Lvl 20 just doesn't cut it with Xbows. You only get SE2 and 2 bullets. I'm not sure if FG will get Lvl 30 bullets in AoI, but If they do then preparing ahead of time may not be a bad idea. Also, the FG ATA mod isn't much to speak of. Plugging bullets into your Xbow will instantly drop the accuracy to 50%. Being a Beast won't help either.

However, should you decide to go forward with Xbows, you will definitely need ice. One of the best things about Xbows is that they can spam strong SEs quickly. I think its fairly safe to say that ice is one of everyone's favorite SEs. Fire and dark are also decent choices.

Synyster
Jun 18, 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the input. As a beast, and a fighgunner, I chose to experiment with the Xbox as an alternative to machine guns - I was surprised at not suffering too badly due to the low ATA issue. But lets not get into ATA since it almost invariably starts a flame war lol.

So shock is a valid option, not a n SE I'm using currently - I'm using Ice mechgun n Light dualies bullets. I do like ice... and confuse... but unless switching the elements between my ranged weps would be of great advantage, I think Shock is the way forwards http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

amtalx
Jun 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
Indeed. The ATA discussion goes nowhere fast haha. I only said something because I'm an ATA whore. I'm an 80 Cast fG and I STILL think I miss to much.

Shock is good. Its an excellent soloing tool if you are into that. I'm actually getting my Yak Inga to 21 as I type haha. Switching elements between your ranged weapons just depends on your play style. If you lean more towards the -gunner part of your class then I would consider it. Otherwise, I don't really see the need.

Pillan
Jun 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
I really would advise against crossbows as a beast fighgunner. Crossbows max at a 60% ATA multiplier, as compared to the 77% multiplier on machineguns. Unlike traditional videogame machineguns, the mechs in PSU are the highest accuracy bullets in the game.

Just don’t expect crossbows to work as well for you as machineguns. You will notice the significant ATA drop almost immediately. I’d say try that out for yourself though. Get one bullet to level 20 before you decide to go with others.

Also the ultimate crossbow bullet gets 5% higher ATA, 15% higher ATP (by level 20), and HP power level 2 (2% additional ATP per 5% HP lost), so you may want to keep that as an option.

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'm a beast fighgunner, I love it, have all Xbow bullets except Ground, and we do get 30 bullets in AoI meaning we get all 3 bullets at 21

THE JACKEL

CelestialBlade
Jun 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
Xbows rock, even though FGs don't get level 30 bullets you can at least prep yours for AoI.

For my Guntecher, I've got Dark and Lightning. Working on getting the Ultimate PA, which lets you do pretty absurd damage when your HP is really low. Xbows are SLOOOOOOW to level, and they run out of PP very fast, but they're excellent ranged weapons.

Alpha-Hunter
Jun 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
if you are going the beast FG lv 20 cap route I might suggest focusing on close combat mainly from behind. that way you take full advantage of the 2 bullets and don't have to worry about ata at all. it's a viable strategy since most FG should be attacking mid range and from behind with their fast weapons anyway. unless you use swords... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

amtalx
Jun 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
After getting my Shock bullet to 21 I must say...this is probably one of the most dominant bullets I have. I can shock a whole mob with 5-10 shots and then wail on them with whatever I want until they need some more shock. The true beauty of shock is that it can't be canceled like Freeze. Guess you'll have to wait until the fall to get 21 though...

Synyster
Jun 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
lol, it'll probably take me that long... thanks for the advice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akaimizu
Jun 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
Not really. They aren't as hard to level as you think. The thing is, it seems to keep a fast pace of levelling for each major jump. So at Level 11, with 2 bullets, the pace of increase is just as good if not better. At 21, they're still increasing quite nicely. A lot faster than Twin Handguns, that's for sure. Glad I got my record of getting all of THOSE to 21 and above. However, I'll probably not get them all Twin handgun bullets to 30 until perhaps the 800 hour mark since I started them. A few Xbow bullets will hardly take much time at all.

amtalx
Jun 20, 2007, 12:21 PM
Xbow bullets aren't too terrible to level. I found that they REALLY slow down from 11-20 though. Emptying 2 Cugo Mambas between those levels will usually only give you about 10-15%. On 1-10 you will get about 20% from emptying one. Seems to pick up a little from 21-30 though. That could just be because once they are at 21, you'll be using them all the time.

Akaimizu
Jun 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
Not really. They differen against the evilness of unloading 2 Twin Handgun bullets throughout a level until emptied and only gaining maybe 5-10%.

I actually think the extra bullet helps a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-20 10:41 ]</font>

amtalx
Jun 21, 2007, 07:56 AM
On 2007-06-20 10:38, Akaimizu wrote:
Not really. They differen against the evilness of unloading 2 Twin Handgun bullets throughout a level until emptied and only gaining maybe 5-10%.

I actually think the extra bullet helps a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-20 10:41 ]</font>

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply anything about Twin Handguns. I wouldn't know anything since I don't have any bullets for that weapon type. I just meant that Xbows slow down a lot from 11-20. For example, I just started Yak Diga last night and it only took a bit more than an hour to get to 11. After another hour, I was only at 14 or so.

Deja
Jun 21, 2007, 08:26 AM
Fighgunner, I'd lvl Fire/Ice/Dark and Shock.

Fortegunner and Guntecher, I'd lvl them all. Hell, I recently found out Earth Crossbow got a boost in SE (it hits more).

ashley50
Jun 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
i need to work on my Crossbow Bullets =/....

DreamLocke
Jun 21, 2007, 08:45 PM
GT here and it seems the consensus for the most part is lightning. Sounds good to me. I have ice cards and mechs (still not in love w/ mechs yet...). Burn/Ice bow, working on a Virus rifle. I like to spread out my SE's to stay versatile. Shock x-bow may replace my shock shotgun. Maybe.

DreamLocke
Jun 22, 2007, 10:59 AM
On 2007-06-21 18:45, DreamLocke wrote:
GT here and it seems the consensus for the most part is lightning. Sounds good to me. I have ice cards and mechs (still not in love w/ mechs yet...). Burn/Ice bow, working on a Virus rifle. I like to spread out my SE's to stay versatile. Shock x-bow may replace my shock shotgun. Maybe.

Ok, I just rethought the shotgun. Keeping it with shock. Partly because I've been leveling the bullets already it'd be a shame to ditch it. Plus I like shotties... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Shock is good for hitting small to medium mobs and the "boom stick" can smack 5 at once.

Edit: Sorry about the self-quote and double post...thought someone had posted before me... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

So...back to square one. Burn I hear is good because of the low elemental % you'll still be doing decent damage and you'll be sticking burn SE's. But I already have a nicely grinded B-rank bow with Fire...

Dark or Light seem interesting on the crossbow but unsure which to level first if I pick one of those. I would think virus first because it's a bit more practical with the DOT there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DreamLocke on 2007-06-22 09:01 ]</font>

SolomonGrundy
Jun 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
i dumped everything but ice shotty. The only other shotgun I would consider now is ground, and that is only for grinning beta's while fighting as a guntecher. 5x100 is pretty decent dmg.

Niloklives
Jun 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
it still lvls much faster than most any other bullet with the exception of shotguns, cards and maybe mechs. yeah you have to empty a lot of mechs to get it to lvl, but it doesn't take much to empty a mech out >_>.

and yes it will take him til fall to get to 21 if he doesn't switch classes. the implication being that the cap will prevent further progression.