PDA

View Full Version : Slicer fan club ;D

Elusive_Llama
Dec 17, 2002, 09:16 AM
Slicers have a bad rep so I'm here to try and dispel some of that. I speak from much experience with my Rappy Fan up to Ult. Mines, so if you know how slicers work past that, feel free to correct me.

In offline normal/hard mode, slicers are useful against everything. In offline vhard/ult mode, slicers are really only useful vs bosses, flying things (canadines, moths, etc) and boxes. Everything else will come right up to you and smack you down.

However, online mode is where slicers really become useful.

First of all, I have this love/hate relationship with my slicers.

I loathe getting the regular rare slicers (Diska of Liberator, Diska of Braveman, Slicer of Assassin) because I get them at the wrong times. You know, it sucks when a Vhard Chaos Bringer drops you a Diska of Liberator instead of his right arm.

On the other hand, my Rappy Fan +32 works very well in softening up massive groups of enemies, taking out flying stuff and killing both Dragons, De Rol Le/Da Ral Lie and Vol Opt v.1 (haven't done v.2 yet). A partisan/sword is limited by its reach and the arc of attack whereas a slicer bounces from one enemy to another within its range. Plus the feathers effect and confuse special are cool bonuses. This is not to say that DoL, DoB and SoA suck...use them until you can get a Rappy Fan, or something better. DoB +9, in particular, is nearly comparable to a fully ground Rappy Fan.

I think the reason why slicers are hated is because they appear to be so weak and the first/third combo hit come out quite slowly. Hunter weapons are supposed to be high on ATP and quick to attack, right?

But slicers, at least the way I see it, are the 'shot-type' weapons for Hunters. Just as shotguns for Rangers do less damage per shot than single-target weapons but compensate by being able to hit multiple targets, slicers are less useful against one or two monsters but really blossom against hordes of stuff. As for the animation drawback, just compensate for it by getting some distance before using the weapon.

Shotguns are still better weapons because they fire quickly and the Ranger doesn't have to step forward, but then that's what being a Ranger is all about. If you're the only Hunter in a group, then switch the slicer out for a partisan/sword. If you're one of two or three Hunters, then a slicer is a good way to make sure you get EXP and help out the team at the same time.

Slicers are great weapons in online mode when you have one or two crazy Humars/Hucasts tanking against 8 - 9 bartles/barbles/tollaws (Ult. Heat Sword). This allows you to stand from a distance throwing slicer shots to help soften them up and stun them. 200 - 225 damage per hit doesn't seem like much, but it really adds up when it is multiplied by all the enemies your slicer blade hits. Throw in a Zalure and you're laughing...

TeamPhalanx
Dec 17, 2002, 09:23 AM
Depends on the situation. I never use slicers offline, except when fighting Vol Opt. Mechguns are best against dragon and swords against De Rol Le.

As for online play, I don't use them unless there are four players on the team.

Their low ATA boost combined with thier slow speed doesn't really make them a good weapon.

milk
Dec 17, 2002, 09:39 AM
I've been using a DoB lately instead of my other weapons. At level 56, I am having trouble getting experience from any group. So I have decided that instead of hitting one monster at a time, I'll use a Diska and help out the group whilst getting much more exp.

It's been working ^_^

Elusive_Llama
Dec 17, 2002, 09:53 AM
It is true that the ATA is a bit low, but while you may miss the first enemy, you can still hit with the other bounces if I'm not mistaken. I just know that I can hit about 80 - 90% of the time with the first shot from my Rappy Fan on my Hunewearl, then the other two shots come naturally as Hard Attacks which hit about 90% of the time.

It is also true that they're slow, but I compensate by standing from a distance and slinging shots while somebody else tanks. When monsters get close, I switch to my melee weapon, fight my way out, then go back to slicing. Don't forget that the slicer shot bounces from enemy to enemy within its range and also stuns the monsters momentarily, which helps out your tank.

Tevren
Dec 17, 2002, 10:50 AM
I don't see how Swords are better for Dal Ral Lie. My Red Sword hits for around 250-300 (after lv 15 Z) on 3 targets. My Red Slicer hits for about 175-200 on 6-7 targets. Not to mention hitting him that many times while he idles at the side of the Raft.

I honeslty used to hate Slicers, but now I love them. And as someone else pointed out, they're a great way to ensure you get exp off everything, while still dishing out damage.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 17, 2002, 12:17 PM
Did you find that Red Slicer from a Nano Dragon on Ultimate, Tevren?

Neifan
Dec 17, 2002, 02:18 PM
Oh, I agree. My HUcaseal and HUnewearl always carry a slicer. Plus, with my Diska with 30/35/0/0/45, I don't have to worry about ATA. I don't personally care for the Rappy Fan, just because it looks silly, but I do use it on Mines/Ruins in Ultimate. Here's to hoping I find a Red Slicer!

Driadyte
Dec 17, 2002, 04:35 PM
I just recently started using my Rappy Fan, and I have to say, I love it. Not only is it great for opening boxes, but it tears up groups of enemies. Those groups of 9 Canadines used to piss me off, but now I just attack until the leader's dead, then avoid the others until they explode. Still get exp for every one you hit, which is usually all of them. It's also better than swords against De Rol Le, as I've only been able to target 3, sometimes 4 sections at a time, but with slicers, you can get 5 or 6, even while he's pacing the boat on the sides. I don't like it so much against Vol Opt, as I can never seem to target the top monitor until one or two others are broke. Against the dragon and Vol Opt's second form, I stick with my Yamato still. There just isn't enough that can be multi-targeted easily enough to compare with the 5 hits from my Yamato +42.

And here I thought I was the first person to discover how cool the Slicer type was http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BTW: I have an extra Rappy Wing for trade if anyone has been converted by this thread.

Jae
Dec 17, 2002, 04:48 PM
On 2002-12-17 13:35, Driadyte wrote:
And here I thought I was the first person to discover how cool the Slicer type was

You'll find that there's a small group of people that post in EVERY slicer thread there is. Welcome to Slicer-Lovers-Anonymous! Now have a seat, tell us your name and we'll tell you that we love you too! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I should have checked in earlier since I have a seldom-used, but highly-coveted Red Slicer. Even though I only use it once in a while, I love the darned thing to death!

Vampir
Dec 17, 2002, 05:09 PM
Oh, http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif how I would love to have a Red Slicer. Until then my trusty Rappy Fan +23 will have to do. It is my main weapon in online games except my Justice every now and then.

DirewolfX
Dec 17, 2002, 06:39 PM
Yes, I do love Slicers with my HUnewearl. They're my weapon of choice against most bosses and even sometimes against large groups (though on Ultimate, I usually use a Partisan, because keeping a lot of them distracted helps the group out more and they're too fast for single player).

Although, I've been playing a lot with my FOnewearl lately. Mmm... Rafoie ^__^

Alexkidd
Dec 18, 2002, 03:37 AM
I like slicers too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I started a whitetill just so i can get a flight cutter.I tried to get one off ver.2 challenge mode but i never got one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif.I also liked the flight fan animation back in ver.2.Though i never started a female char in Ver.2.Now i have two females.Ramrl(love that handgun animation) and Huceseal(What can i say,i like ninja type chars).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexkidd on 2002-12-18 00:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexkidd on 2002-12-18 00:40 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Dec 18, 2002, 08:43 AM
Hey Jae, you found that red slicer off of something, I hope? Seeing as you and me are Redria...so I just wanna know where to look should I lust after a red slicer http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tevren
Dec 18, 2002, 10:17 AM
Sorry, got tied up. Yes, Redria Nano Dragon. Ice Spinner rules http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Its also my best weapon in Mines. I absolutely love it. BTW, max grind on it is 45. Not sure if the database here had that or not. Mine has no %s, but still an excellent weapon.

Jae
Dec 18, 2002, 11:33 AM
On 2002-12-18 05:43, Elusive_Llama wrote:
Hey Jae, you found that red slicer off of something, I hope? Seeing as you and me are Redria...so I just wanna know where to look should I lust after a red slicer

Haha I'm actually Oran, but it did fall in my friend's game (Redria) and it was in the Caves.

I couldn't tell you what monster dropped it since we weren't really paying attention, but I CAN tell you how disappointed my friend was when I equipped it... especially since it fell in front of HIM and he told me to take it because he thought it would be Diska of Liberator. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

*edit* If you guys are lusting after Red Slicers and Flight Cutters, you should just forget them and hold out for the Rainbow Baton! The best part of the Baton is that you can make it out of any slicer-type weapon (with magic rock iritista of course)... so it's easy to just buy any old slicer at the store with 50%hit! Combine that with the confuse special and you have a sooped-up hyper-rappy fan with awesome hit% and double the ATP! I've haven't seen it yet, buy my friend just made one. Just thinking about it makes me insanely jealous! (I hate u Kaeorii lol =P)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jae on 2002-12-18 08:39 ]</font>

Vol_Opt
Dec 18, 2002, 11:47 AM
.. Bzzt..

.. This unit sees no use for Slicers.. Enemies that are required to be held back are able to get to melee range, even if the slicer is used from maximum distance. Shots are by far the best weapon-type multi-hit weapon, followed by the Partisan-types, and then it's a tossup between Swords/Diskas.. Performance evaluations do not lie..

.. This unit will note that said Slicers were used by a RAcast.. Your usage and experience may vary..

.. Bzzt..

Jae
Dec 18, 2002, 12:07 PM
On 2002-12-18 08:47, Vol_Opt wrote:
.. Bzzt..

.. This unit sees no use for Slicers.. Enemies that are required to be held back are able to get to melee range, even if the slicer is used from maximum distance. Shots are by far the best weapon-type multi-hit weapon, followed by the Partisan-types, and then it's a tossup between Swords/Diskas.. Performance evaluations do not lie..

.. This unit will note that said Slicers were used by a RAcast.. Your usage and experience may vary..

.. Bzzt..

1) HUs don't get the luxury of shots. Slicers are all we get for fighting off groups from a distance. But I agree shots are the best crowd control weapons out there (no brainer).

2) The most effective use of a slicer is in a TEAM game. Confusing a whole pack of enemies with a Rappy Fan can prove to be invaluable to the rest of the team even if you didn't do that much damage. Using a slicer while soloing is pointless and time consuming.

3) God/Battle + Sword OWNS Partisans, seeing as how all of the Partisan types suck for GC now.

Like you said, experience and usage will vary, but this is from a HU point of view.

RagMasterRappy
Dec 18, 2002, 12:28 PM
Slicers are really effective but I have a problem with having to continually back up with a ranger after doing a 3 hit combo. Is it so hard to throw your wrist out while standing still?

BTW, I was using a Gush Slicer last night in ultimate. Those are very useful when you have a group of monsters nearby.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2002-12-18 09:31 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Dec 18, 2002, 12:46 PM
.. Bzzt..

.. Bzzt..

Rangers have no use for slicers when they have shot-weaponry. As for hunters, using a slicer when a pack of govulmers are bearing down on you is a bad thing...that's when you switch to your sword, take two swipes, back off and repeat until they're dead. I have done this very successfully in Ult. Caves.

However, using a slicer when said pack of govulmers are beating/chasing your tanking HUmar/HUcast is a great tactic, hence the usefulness of slicers to hunters as far as online gaming goes. Not only are you relatively safe from the conflict and thus not as likely to get surrounded and die, you're acting in the capacity of a ranger with a shot-weapon.

The slicer shot also stuns each monster momentarily, thereby allowing your tank to get in free shots and avoid getting smacked. Slicers hit far more enemies than partisans/swords because they're ranged and they bounce, which multiplies the amount of dmg they really do.

You're probably thinking that a partisan or sword could do the same thing, but slicers have that range advantage. Monsters don't usually bunch up in one tight pack and remain that way throughout the fight...some of them tend to veer off from the group, do a little circle and come right back. These are the ones that get missed by the partisan/sword but are hit by slicers.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 18, 2002, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah, Tevren...you ought to go confirm that Red Slicer in Item Findings http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tevren
Dec 18, 2002, 03:23 PM
Good Idea, I'll go do that now.

Polenicus
Dec 18, 2002, 05:28 PM
On 2002-12-17 06:53, Elusive_Llama wrote:
It is also true that they're slow, but I compensate by standing from a distance and slinging shots while somebody else tanks.

Guess who usually gets to tank for her?

*Dabs at a few healing scars*

Kupi
Dec 18, 2002, 05:29 PM
Don't forget about the melee FO. While their ATA is pretty bad, the multiple attempts will allow you to get a good hit and the subsequent ATA boost from that, and Hit% owns all anyways. They're about the only good multi-hit weapon for FO, especially if they're trying to conserve TP for support spells.

Alexkidd
Dec 18, 2002, 06:32 PM
Jae talked said forget about the flight cutter and red slicer and hold out for a rainbow baton.I think thats cool but has anyone ever used a weaker because you like it's style more?like if you like the look of the kaladabolg more,but you have a durandal which would you use?If anyone has a rainbow baton,could ya post a picture? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Angarwaen
Dec 19, 2002, 12:33 PM
I hated slicers on the DC, but now I love them! I'm not sure why, but it seems that they work better now and actually hit stuff. ^_^ I used my rappy fan up to lv.70 before I upgraded to a Rainbow Baton. I just love that thing, it looks so cute!! ^___^ i'm not able to upload pics, but it pretty much looks like an axe thing with rainbow jewls on it, but some of my male friends don't like it because they say it looks like a girly weapon. lol

Alexkidd
Dec 19, 2002, 11:35 PM
Lol,thanks for the info http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexkidd on 2002-12-19 20:36 ]</font>