PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather passed away.

Scrub
Jun 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
Now, some people at PSOW might know, but most probably don't. I was raised by a ton of different people until I was 8 years old, when my grandparents took me in. They were, and still are, the greatest people that I know. Up until that point I felt unwanted and unloved, getting shoved from relative to relative on a regular basis. They finally came in and gave me a home, and a stable enviroment.

For years, my Grandfather was the nicest that anybody had ever been to me. He always had time for me, to give me a laugh, to help me out if I had a problem, to give me advice. Nobody had ever been like that to me before, and I got really attached to him. He was always such a clown, joking around, and me and him would really annoy gramma with our pranks and the like.

When they moved, I moved with them, and they kept caring for me as I grew up. They took an interest in my schoolwork and grades, and I began to do really well in school. I was a horrible kid when I moved in with them, prone to fits of anger and rage, but since then they've taught me that I don't need to be like that, and I'm a really calm person nowadays.

Slowly over the years, my grandfather changed a bit. I guess you could call it turning into the 'grumpy old man.' He began to get like I used to, becoming incredibly angry at the slightest things. He would threaten to kill other people, and kill himself. I eventually got so sick of it that I started encouraging him to leave the house if he was going to act this way. It really hurt to see somebody that was my best friend, and used to kid around so much, change into somebody like that.

Just the other day my half-brother Nick was over, and we were having fun. My grandfather came out and said something along the lines of "Joe, I told you that if you wanted to go to the grocery store to get things to eat, I would take you." This was out of the blue, and I had no idea what he was talking about, so I said "No you didnt." He got into an unspeakable rage, screaming at me, calling me a 'fucking liar,' and the like. I was trying to keep calm and apologize and whatnot, but he only got angrier, until he picked up a chair and was about to hit me with it. He didn't thankfully, and walked away. We didn't talk much after that for the last few days he was alive.

Just last night, I was out on the side-porch taking care of the trash, and I heard the front door opening and people yelling. My uncle had come to the house(he lives here when he WANTS to, and is all around a bad person), and was of course being an asshole like usual. I couldnt exactly make out what they were saying, but I just ignored it, closed my door, and thought "They'll stop soon enough." Finally, I heard a loud crash followed by my grandmother screaming for me, so I rushed in, past my uncle who was muttering "Yeah that serves you right."

My grandfather was laying on the ground with his eyes open, breathing heavily. I panicked for a second before my grandmother called 9-1-1. Shortly after, he stopped breathing. My uncle came back, and together we straightened him out and began performing CPR. The paramedics were called. Eventually my grandfather began to breathe every 30 seconds or so, a long, drawn out, raspy breath. Paramedics arrived and took control of the scene, and eventually brought him into the ambulance and drove to the hospital. My grandmother and uncle followed in the car, but I couldn't because I can't stand to be in hospitals(perosnal thing).

I waited at home, surprisingly calm about the whole thing. I've never had a close family member be seriously in trouble like this/die(my mother died a year ago but I didnt know her well), and I always thought that it would wreck me. A close family friend called, saying my grandmother had told her to come down here and make sure Im all right. I told her if anyone needed somebody, it was my Gramma at the hospital. She agreed and went down there to meet her.

Half an hour later my 'father' called, and told me that my grandfather didn't make it. That was the guy I cared most about my entire life, and the man who cared most about me during mine. Out of all the crappy things that've been thrown at me, that was probably the worst thing I've ever heard. I didn't cry, or freak out, or anything, I just sat down for a good while thinking about how much I was going to miss him. He was the closest thing I ever had to a real father.

I don't know what I'm going to do without him.

Tact
Jun 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
Oh man, Scrub...I can't really relate to you on this, considering that all of my relatives that have passed on haven't really been that close to me. All I can really say would be along the lines of "my condolences".

Wyndham
Jun 20, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm very sorrry about what happened, and I can't say it enough. only 3 people in my family I knew (my great grandmothers and my grandfather) died while I was alive, and I barely knew them. I was still horribly upset. so its hard to imagine how bad this is. if you ever need someone just to talk to, contact me.

Weeaboolits
Jun 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, and also, I think it's normal not to cry or anything, I think it'll take a while for the full impact of it to really sink in to the point where you can greave.

Anyway, all I can do is offer my most sincere condolences and wish you luck dealing with this all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AlexCraig
Jun 20, 2007, 01:45 PM
I know how you feel, Scrub. My grandparents both died about a couple months between each other in 2002. My grandpa always told me that sometime he'd take me fishing with him. We never had a chance to before he died. Grandma had Alzheimers and kept asking where he was, only to suffer again and again. She died not long after him. The worst part about it was that my aunts and uncles got pissed at my mom and dad, saying that they never took care of them in life. We couldn't, that was the thing. Mom and dad worked during the day, David and I had school, and Amanda was four. I loved my grandpa and grandma. I thought that I was tough enough to hold back the saddness. But even though prior to that I had almost never cried, I shed tears when I saw him in the casket for the last time.
I know how you feel. I am truly sorry.

DurakkenX
Jun 20, 2007, 01:50 PM
Let's see...

My father's side grandmother died of cancer when i was 11
My father's side grandfather has that memory problem old people get and is slowly dying.
A cousin of mine died of a heart anurism while doing drugs.
My mother has died several times and been brought back 9yes she was literally dead and was revived on multiple occasions)
My brother nearly died a few years ago 3 times and according to doctors he should have been dead, last summer he almost died he was so bad that he was on life support and they were going to pull him off of it to see if he would make it.
My grandma has one of the highest heart rates recorded in history and doctors have no idea why her heart didn't blow up.
My grandfather has a pace maker and he's had cancer, and he really is on borrowed time.

I'm about the only person in my family that hasn't had a near death experience...but I've dealt enough with death to not be impacted much by it at all. If you want to do anything live in the way that your grandfather would want you to live...in other words, live in a way that makes you happy as that is what most people want for their loved ones.

Sayara
Jun 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
He was a good man Scrub.
If you keep remembering all the good about him; then you'll be satisifed knowing such a great man.

My condolences to you.

Midicronica
Jun 20, 2007, 04:28 PM
That almost brought me to tears. Your story reminded me of my grandmother a lot.

You have my condolences, dude. As many others as said, try to remember the good things about him. Stay strong, my man.

Jehosaphaty
Jun 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
I hope you take the opportunity, and I'm certain you'll be able, to remember your grandpa as he once was. He sounds like he was an awesome man.

Rainbowlemon
Jun 20, 2007, 08:29 PM
Aside from the Death-contest Durakken's got going, he's got a point. I didn't know him, but I'm betting your Grandfather would have wanted you to continue leading a happy life. Its hard to lose a loved one, especially one so close....so I feel for you. By all means, take your time mourning his passing - it's only natural. Just remember that there's light at the end of the tunnel - even though it might not feel like the hole he has left can be replaced, your family, your friends and your own self will all be there to help you through it.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss... as long as you can still laugh and enjoy life, you'll be ok (http://icanhascheezburger.com/). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Scrub
Jun 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, last night me, my grandmother, my Dad and his GF were all sitting around, and they were talking about how angry he had been and stuff lately. I said "Hey, don't talk about him like that. When somebody dies, you remember the good, not the bad." They agreed and we had a pleasant evening afterward. I'll always remember him as the man who gave me a life, because I can't imagine what I would be like if he hadn't have come into my life.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they're deeply appreciated.

Solstis
Jun 20, 2007, 09:02 PM
Oh, shoot, well, good to hear that you're coping well and all that. Use his memory and blah blah blah, have a good life, blah blah blah.

Well, I'm not good at this stuff, but I hope that things work out well for you in the end. :/

doubleEXP
Jun 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss, Scrub. My deepest condolences.

BogusKun
Jun 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
In a way, they're happy because they are alive in you.
I lost my grandfather a lil around a year ago when I was training to leave to Iraq.
It's hard sometimes, but they moved on the same way you will.
Just be good to yourself and others and his image shall reflect in you as he returns.

Leviathan
Jun 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
Wow Scub, sounds like you had some hard times.

Hes even changed you &made you a happier person, with him being a father figure to you. It must suck to have a close relative to you be taken away. My dad had his uncle who helped him through school &got him into college <<by lying.>> &funded him too when my dad's dad didn't want him to do so. &That was a sad day because his uncle left an impact on him &he was a great man, although I did not know him I was sad for the whole day &I had to go to school feeling shitty about that. I think its cool how even if you don't know a person they can have a great impact on you.

I'm sorry for what has happened, he was a great man.

CrimsomWolf
Jun 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss... especially that I lost my both grandfathers and my grandmother from father's side some time ago. My condolences.I think that your grandparent would want for you to be happy, despite all odds.And I'm sure that they're happy up there in haven. Again my condonlences.

Thalui89
Jun 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif sorry about your loss, really bites when things like this happen. I'm sure that he's in a better place now.