PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Bioware DS RPG?!

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
No, seriously. You'll be covered in all sorts of painful pinch marks if you don't realize you're awake and start believing the headline by the time we get to the next sentence.

Sega has announced a new partnership with BioWare that will see the Canadian role-playing gurus creating a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG for the Nintendo DS. The currently unnamed game is scheduled for release in 2008. "BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world," notes Sega of America president and COO Simon Jeffery. "Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages."

Sega's unlikely to be the only one to feel confident. BioWare's track record, which includes Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and the highly anticipated Mass Effect certainly indicates that when it comes to role-playing, the developer has become the industry's frighteningly convincing and never wavering cosplayer. The success of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic can also be seen as a testament to their ability to deal with cherished (at least when it comes to older incarnations) properties.

"We're thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons," explains Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare adds that, "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure."

Alright, back to pinching your masochistic selves then.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/21/bioware-creating-sonic-the-hedgehog-rpg-for-nintendo-ds/
Sega... you insane bastards.....

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
yeah I read this on NintendoWorldReport... could be good, BioWare is pretty good

THE JACKEL

Sinue_v2
Jun 21, 2007, 12:57 PM

I'd much rather see Bioware handling a Sonic RPG than Sonic Team. Maybe they should have let Bioware handle PSU as well eh?

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
I liked Kotor II better and that wasn't by Bioware.. XD
But anything other than ST is always good.

Niered
Jun 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
Interesting...I'd like to see what comes of this. Its obvious that it will probably be real time, but apart from that I wonder what it will end up being like.

Mayhaps the Paper Mario of Sonic games?

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
From I saw no ST I'm mildly pleased that alone don't save it.

Kent
Jun 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
BioWare is much better with programming than Sonic Team is. Much, much better - there's really no contest.

...Ironically enough, though, Sonic Team is better at writing stories for games. At least PSU wasn't just a series of fetch quests. :/

Niered
Jun 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
On 2007-06-21 13:47, Kent wrote:
BioWare is much better with programming than Sonic Team is. Much, much better - there's really no contest.

...Ironically enough, though, Sonic Team is better at writing stories for games. At least PSU wasn't just a series of fetch quests. :/

Technically they're better at game design, not necessarily programming, although there has been some shitty programming in recent titles by ST as well.

Realistically, I dont see how this game will be bad, but it will most definitely be different.

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 06:41 PM
On 2007-06-21 13:47, Kent wrote:

It's more Bioware is not lazy. Sonic team if actually putting in effort would have some hits but they are worthless.

PJ
Jun 21, 2007, 06:54 PM
On 2007-06-21 16:41, ShinMaruku wrote:

It's more Bioware is not lazy. Sonic team if actually putting in effort would have some hits but they are worthless.

Hmm. This site we're at. PSO World (http://pso-world.com/) was it? The one with the fanbase of the game made by... I can't remember who. Might wanna fill me in on the blank here.

I'm excited for a Sonic RPG, not excited that ST isn't doing it for story sake, but atleast that almost guarantees there won't be any new characters.

Weeaboolits
Jun 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
Just hope to god that it doesn't end up like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Tails_Adventures_Box.jpg

Kent
Jun 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
On 2007-06-21 16:55, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

Best. Game Gear game. Ever.

Don't talk about it as if it were bad. It's awesome.

Weeaboolits
Jun 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
You mean you actually like it? Well, don't really like any game gear games other than Sonic Triple Trouble, and I don't really play that one much either. :/

ShadowDragon28
Jun 21, 2007, 08:26 PM
Could be cool. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain the light-hearted, Up-beat vibe and look of of Sonic and his world.
Cute chibi-cartoony animal characters and dark moody adult themes don't exactly mix well IMV.

But jeez what the heck? The ST hate is so tired and worn out IMO.

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 09:55 PM
On 2007-06-21 16:54, PJ wrote:

On 2007-06-21 16:41, ShinMaruku wrote:

Hmm. This site we're at. PSO World (http://pso-world.com/) was it? The one with the fanbase of the game made by... I can't remember who. Might wanna fill me in on the blank here.

I'm excited for a Sonic RPG, not excited that ST isn't doing it for story sake, but atleast that almost guarantees there won't be any new characters.

All the dudes who made ST great are gone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
So the rest of them are trash. However I enjoy my Rachet and Jak very much because the dudes who left made those. XD One made Blinx but I guess ST could have spared him... :E
I may like their games but that stupid stuff they recently been doing makes me happy to see somebody else do it and not just becuase of story.

Niered
Jun 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
On 2007-06-21 18:11, Kent wrote:

Im gonna have to concur on that. Even though it broke the pre-determined mold of Sonic Games up until that point, it was still awesome. One of the best Game Gear titles I ever played.

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
Sonic Team didn't amke that shit either. So that's another strike against the smarmy gits.

Weeaboolits
Jun 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
I guess it didn't help that I never had it for Game Gear, I had it on Gems Collection. I couldn't afford a Game Gear when they were new. :/

I still didn't care for it though. :/

Niered
Jun 21, 2007, 11:19 PM
On 2007-06-21 20:53, ShinMaruku wrote:
Sonic Team didn't amke that shit either. So that's another strike against the smarmy gits.

That game really doesnt change my opinion of them either way. I mean, it was made back when the majority of sonic games were good, not after the fact.

Basically it works something like this:

Sonic 1,2,3, Sonic and knuckles, and Sonic CD: Amazing.

Sonic 3D blast: Dependent on who you talk to. Some like, some hate.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2: These 2 are generally accepted as being good to great games. SA1 is often liked more, but relistically SA2 took SA1's good, and took out the bad.

Sonic Advance 1-3 and Rush: Generally accpeted as being good, but not as great as the original 2D sidescrollers, this often attributed to the lack of difficulty.

Sonic the Hedgehog for PS3 and 360, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, Sonic Shuffle, Shadow the Hedgehog: Worthless. Completely devoid of anything the originals had, these are absolute crap.

Sonic and the Secret rings: A wild card. Considered a "step in the right direction". Its not considered a great game, but many people enjoyed the fact that it looked like ST actually was trying with this one.

Then of course there are the randomly strewn about games that include Sonic Fighters, Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotniks mean bean machine, Tails Adventure, Knuckles Chaotix, Tails Sky Patrol, and Sonic R that have varying ratings associated with them. For instance, Knuckles Chaotix is considered quite good, if not a bit different, however Tails Sky patrol is considered absolutely horrible.

ShinMaruku
Jun 21, 2007, 11:51 PM
After SA2 the console games went to shit. And that right around when 3 dudes left them too. XD

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 22, 2007, 01:54 AM
On 2007-06-21 20:27, Niered wrote:

On 2007-06-21 18:11, Kent wrote:

Im gonna have to concur on that. Even though it broke the pre-determined mold of Sonic Games up until that point, it was still awesome. One of the best Game Gear titles I ever played.

the best two games on Game Gear were easily the above game and sonic triple trouble. There's just no arguing this fact

THE JACKEL

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2007, 09:48 AM
It's not like those titles have much competition. >_>

I'll have to see what comes of the BioWare game. I don't think Sonic lends itself well to RPGs, but you never know.

Kent
Jun 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
I bet a lot of people would've thought a rail shooter like Panzer Dragoon wouldn't itself lend well to being an RPG, either, but Panzer Dragoon Saga turned out to be one of the most in-depth, unique, and outstandingly-crafted games of the genre.

Then again, we're talking BioWare, not Team Andromeda. Odds are, it'll be more mediocre than anything else (like most BioWare products).

Niered
Jun 22, 2007, 02:49 PM
On 2007-06-22 11:47, Kent wrote:
Then again, we're talking BioWare, not Team Andromeda. Odds are, it'll be more mediocre than anything else (like most BioWare products).

Uwha-? Bioware is considered amazing. Theyre work is usually short, but very good.

Kent
Jun 22, 2007, 02:56 PM
On 2007-06-22 12:49, Niered wrote:

On 2007-06-22 11:47, Kent wrote:

Uwha-? Bioware is considered amazing. Theyre work is usually short, but very good.

Some people consider Rockstar and Bethesda to be amazing, too. :/

Sinue_v2
Jun 22, 2007, 03:09 PM
Bethesda is amazing, at least, their Elder Scrolls team. Granted, Oblivion wasn't nearly as good as Morrowind - and not nearly as expansive and in-depth as Daggerfall and Arena, but you have to expect a bit of that with the scope of the game's graphics and world. Not to mention they had to dumb it down a bit for casual gamers to make sure the returns for the game meet their expectations. Even with all of that though, it still managed to turn out quite good - expecially the advances they made in combat over Morrowind.

I would assume you've played Oblivion on the PC right? It's not showing up on your gamercard.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 22, 2007, 03:13 PM
On 2007-06-22 07:48, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
It's not like those titles have much competition. >_>

Never played any Sonic Game Gear games besides Chaos Emeralds.

Streets of Rage 2 on Game Gear was awesome.

If its going to be like the KotR or Jade Empire games that means dialogue choices for Sonic and friends, good and bad, more Shadow the Hedgehog "edgy" stuff?

Kent
Jun 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
On 2007-06-22 13:09, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Bethesda is amazing, at least, their Elder Scrolls team. Granted, Oblivion wasn't nearly as good as Morrowind - and not nearly as expansive and in-depth as Daggerfall and Arena, but you have to expect a bit of that with the scope of the game's graphics and world. Not to mention they had to dumb it down a bit for casual gamers to make sure the returns for the game meet their expectations. Even with all of that though, it still managed to turn out quite good - expecially the advances they made in combat over Morrowind.

I would assume you've played Oblivion on the PC right? It's not showing up on your gamercard.

While I will agree that they did make some significant milestones and advancements with Oblivion, the game was just horribly unfun to play... But less so than Morrowind was.

Morrowind was just terrible - an example of a first-person RPG done wrong.

And yeah, I played Oblivion on PC. Mainly because several of my friends bought the game (their loss), and had/made me install it on my computer, because they felt it was good enough to relieve the ever-present bitter taste that Morrowind left me with, years ago... I wanted to try it, as well, with hopes that Bethesda learned from their mistakes.

Which, to that, I say they've started to learn from them, but not fast enough.

A game can be as expansive, "deep," free-roaming, and graphically beautiful as they want it to, but if it isn't fun to play, then what's the point?

All games are repetitious, yes, but the gameplay of Morrowind and Oblivion lack the depth to make that repetition enjoyable.