PDA

View Full Version : Which poses a greater threat: aliens or zombies?

CupOfCoffee
Jun 22, 2007, 03:35 PM
In the blue corner, we have aliens. Assuming it does exist, and that it has the capability to get to us, intelligent life from the far reaches of the universe would almost definitely be able to wipe us out. Any beings with the technology required to travel such vast distances in a timely manner, which would almost definitely have to involve, among other things, the bending of space in order to sidestep the not-nearly-fast-enough speed of light, are definitely technologically advanced enough to dizzominate all the puny life puttering around on Earth. However, we must also consider that they might not want to harm us. On the Discovery Channel, they sometimes show an interview with a guy who claimed to have worked on the alleged spacecraft that crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico in the '50s. He said that even though there no conventional inner workings to the vehicle, like wires or a recognizable engine, that it was clear that every waste product being produced was being used by some other process, and that it would be able to run on whatever fuel it had for an almost indefinite amount of time. Even if this guy's crazy and/or making it up, imagine it's true. A ship that operates on so many principals of "teamwork" surely points toward a parent civilization that's equally adept at getting along and maximizing productivity. Not unlike an anthill, where there are no unnecessary fights and everything is done to most benefit everyone else. Would they be peace-loving beings who have managed to survive many hundreds of times longer than humans have without falling to civil warfare? Or would they be Elites, Grunts, and Brutes? Only time will tell. Wort wort wort!

In the red corner, we have zombies. Like aliens, there is nothing saying that zombies could not exist. Countless movies have probed the appeal of mass-hysteria and uncontrollable chaos that would inevitably accompany Z-day, and part of the reason zombie films remain so popular is because everyone knows in the back of their mind that it could someday come to pass. Rumors and half-truths about biological weaponry similar to the "Rage virus" from the 28 _____ Later movies have been floating around for most of modern history, and long before it was a legitimate medical possibility, almost every culture on Earth has told their wide-eyed children stories of the walking undead. Magical or not, zombies have been envisioned and feared by the human race for as long as it has existed. A disease that rendered people in a zombie-like state that was highly contagious could spread very quickly, but would likely end up landlocked. As such, it's unlikely that zombies could decimate the whole of human existence on Earth, but we must not underestimate the additional emotional threat they pose. Since zombies are, in essence, us, it's possible that they could slip past certain "normal" human defense mechanisms. No one wants to shoot their best friend in the face with a shotgun, and it's likely that widespread hatred for the zombie forces would be difficult for the survivors to cultivate. If even one person felt a little bit sorry for their undead son or daughter and let them into last human stronghold, all could be lost.

Thoughts? My friend and I have been arguing about this for days.

AlexCraig
Jun 22, 2007, 03:41 PM
Aliens, I believe would pose the most likely threat mainly for two reasons:
1.) They are not used to us and may think we would be a danger to them, thus harming/killing us, similar to humans when they meet a people/being they have yet to understand. Fear, basically.
2.) Zombies were once people. They would have enough common sense to say, "Yeah, I'd like a #5 with a small fries and a medium CokaCola" reather than "Brraaaaiiiinnss". Zombies would most likely pick up where they left off (albeit a tad shaken knowing that they are dead) rather than go on a blood hunt for people. That is just B-rated movie crap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlexCraig on 2007-06-22 13:43 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Jun 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
Obviously aliens, because if they have the technology to successfully land on earth, they sure as hell have the technology to vaporize and pillage our cities.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
But see, the zombies I'm talking about aren't just mild-mannered undead farmhands who are just like people only less alive. By zombies, I mean people who are afflicted with some condition, a virus, or a Satanic resurrection, or whatever it takes to turn them in to highly contagious, mindlessly violent, blank-slate killing machines. They wouldn't know how to raise a crop or build a home or do anything that would ensure their zombie kind any type of survival after their immediate supplies of food ran out. All they would be able to do is kill or spread their condition through biting or other intimate contact.

Aliens, though, I just can't see aliens flying all the way over here just to beat us up. Unless, of course, they've been watching for a long enough time to decide that they don't like humanity's uniquely violent brand of friendship, and are just nipping a problem they see in the bud. That's possible, I guess, but I just can't imagine a warlike species surviving long enough without killing each other to get to a level of technology that would allow them to travel the entire length of the universe. I don't believe that anyone visiting us from the sky would be an immediate foe.

Sinue_v2
Jun 22, 2007, 04:02 PM
What about Alien Zombies?

I'd say Zombies. Aliens are supposedly intelligent, and can have a wide range of motivations. They may even be benevolent, and if the Discolsure Project is to be believed - we have catalouged over 50 species of Alien creatures. Only a handful are malevolent, and they are usually kept in check by the other races.

Zombies, however, have no ethics. They just want your flesh.

Though if we were attacked by aliens - we would have really no chance to retalliate. You can't fight them with our current technology, they'd just bomb us from orbit. A zombie outbreak might be contained quickly - because we've been innudated by so many horror movies that we know the warning signs and know to aim for the head.

Speaking of Zombies, I heard there was a wasp that injects a sort of mind-control chemical into rats along with their eggs. This chemical makes a mouse seek out the smell of cat urine. The concept being, that the cat will eat the mouse and provide the wasp eggs an environment to gestate inside the cat's gut.

There's also a wasp that stings spiders, and uses mind controlling chemicals to get them to build a protective nest for the wasp larve while they feed on the spider's insides.

Zombies were once people. They would have enough common sense to say, "Yeah, I'd like a #5 with a small fries and a medium CokaCola" reather than "Brraaaaiiiinnss". Zombies would most likely pick up where they left off (albeit a tad shaken knowing that they are dead) rather than go on a blood hunt for people.

If that's the criteria, then what's the difference between a zombie and lepracy? They both shamble along, trailing body parts. Zombies must have souls if they were to retain a conciousness. Zombies don't have souls though - hence brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss......

Kent
Jun 22, 2007, 04:25 PM
Zombies are simply reanimated corpses. Sure, they crave brains... For whatever reason (must be tasty), but the fact of the matter is, that the body is reanimated from a corpse that's probably been damaged so much (via decomposition and the like, and whatever the cause of death was), that the brain suffered too much damage to do much of anything that resembles what we know as "conciousness." That, and many forms of popular necromancy do entail preventing the reanimated corpses from attaining any sort of concious thought, regardless of condition. Simply put, they're "programmed" to hunt out brains. Yummy, tasty brains.

...Anyway, Aliens are, by far, more of a threat. Fact is, aliens do exist somewhere - to think otherwise, is a combination of idiocy and statistical impossibility. Zombies? Not so much, at least, not currently.

Unless there are alien zombies.

And yeah, if aliens have the technology to come to Earth, then they have the technology to 0wn us wholeheartedly (http://earth.justgotowned.com).

Niered
Jun 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
On 2007-06-22 14:02, Sinue_v2 wrote:
What about Alien Zombies?

OHSHI-

Now were just fuckin screwed no matter what.

Shattered_weasel
Jun 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
I suggest everyone watch the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra it contains all of the above.

Rubius-sama
Jun 22, 2007, 05:58 PM
I don't feel the threat of an "Alien Invasion" the way most people do. If extraterrestrials have the technology to get here from millions of light-years away, then surely they are intelligent creatures. Humans are intelligent creatures too, and I don't think we would exterminate or feel threatened by another species living in a distant galaxy if we were to discover any. Instead we would try to make contact and learn, especially when life is so rare in an ever-expanding universe.

Zombies more likely. By zombies I mean a disease that causes a creature to go berserk. Think Dawn of the Dead, not Resident Evil. If you ask me, I'd say the biggest threat to the human species' existence is humans themselves. Dark times lie ahead.

DurakkenX
Jun 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
first let's talk about aliens... While a malevolent race of aliens is hard to fathom for some because of their advanced knowledge remember that cultures change regardless of intelligence, and further more our own history has shown that the more technologically advanced the culture is, the more violent it's entertainment is. Secondly, the whole "why would they travel so far just to pick a fight" argument is dumb and if you want to talk disagree that a civilized people would travel vast distances and then kill the people in the land...well go talk to some native americans... if you can find one. The real question is why would a civilization travel so much unless they wanted the resources, need more space, or wanted to explore...the first 2 would be easy enough to attain without killing non-space fairing cultures such as ourselves unless of course you are primarily meat eaters. The 3rd reason just doesn't say much for personality either and are probably more dangerous than the the first 2. The first 2 are about business, and more people = more business, while the 3rd is about science and learning...while that does seem the elast likely to be bad, think about what we do to things we think are less superior to ourselves, including humans.

As far as Zombies are concerned... They are not much of a threat as any virus would need to do two things, reanimate the corpse AND destroy the higher brain or at least block it. Eve with the high brain completely shut down you'd just have a human that had the mental capacity of a cat/dog but a bit more advanced. THey would know how to open and shut doors and do all sorts of works... as long as you fed them food they'd be no threat. The real problem is the fact that some idiot would start blasting their heads off, they'd react and go nuts... and god knows it takes a while for crazy animals to settles down, but it's not impossible. They would not go after brains at all v.v in fact they'd prolly have only finite speaking abilities as they'd have no conceptualization ability which is a primary thing in speech. The only real problem from zombies would be the extra couple hundred million people and the fact our population would continue to grow beyond our housing and food distributing abilities. Also if the virus simply blocked the higher function it could even be the key to immortality as more than likely there would be a way to block the blocking effects and hence just create a way to live forever ^.^

So the main threat is Science oriented aliens and to a lesser extent carnivorous aliens.

ShinMaruku
Jun 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
Aliens I 'd hide near the pyramids. The folks that built it took off in a "chariot of fire".

Zombies, time to arm oneself with some heavy weaponry. Mostly .45 slugs. XD

Rubius-sama
Jun 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
On 2007-06-22 16:12, DurakkenX wrote:
first let's talk about aliens... While a malevolent race of aliens is hard to fathom for some because of their advanced knowledge remember that cultures change regardless of intelligence, and further more our own history has shown that the more technologically advanced the culture is, the more violent it's entertainment is.

So watching movies is more violent than watching several gladiators rip each other apart live on stage, while having lions eating them on the side? lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sord
Jun 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
wow, so this is what it's like when an FKL-esque topic gets the serious treatment, I'm in!

Aliens:

They'd kick our ass if they wanted to. As it's been said by several others, the fact they reached our planet probably means they have technology advanced enough to destroy us. As for why they would destory us, scientist keep saying we have such a huge abundance of water, and that's very rare. Perhaps they want that, but they would have to clean it to suit their own needs first, and given our destructive habits the Earth could probably do without us.

Zombies:
Nah, if your body is old and decayed, you're not going to be running very fast or strong, and your muscles are gonna tear easily. Your motor skills aren't going to be that great either.

However, there are very real voodoo zombies today. However, it involves drugging a person and it puts them in a near-death state for awhile, and eventually they are "revived" and usually suffer loss of will and used as slaves.

However, if there is a Zombie breakout, then I would recomend you run to your local bookstore and buy "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Lving Dead" by Max Brooks. Even though it is written by an SNL guy, it never once breaks character. It talks all about effective weapons, building forts, and any other kind of thing you could possably think of to survive in a zombie infested world with Zombies like the author of this thread describes. Hell, I'd go buy it now if you can, simply because it's a good book.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2007-06-22 17:55 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jun 22, 2007, 07:21 PM
Aliens: See Childhood's End Good book short, If they're going to make any contact with us what so ever, they have ulterior motives.

Zombies: I believe there is, at any given time, SOMEONE in the world doing SOMETHING. That includes a mad scientist, who uses internet schemes to get money, sitting in some laboratory in some Russian mountain chain, making a virus that will eliminate all brain functions except movement and the need to feed.

Now, there's not to say that an Anit-Terrorist team isn't sitting outside his doorway with a breaching charge on the door, but that's another story.

ShinMaruku
Jun 22, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'd love to see a Celetials esque race visti us. It'd be glorious. Just not Galan.

DurakkenX
Jun 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
they can always take the practical approach of destroying a civilization...instead of expending amount of energy to kill us, they can send a signal to us with advanced technology and lets us kill ourselves...then in a few hundred years come take the planet without any force asserted...of course that requires a clean up tech too...

Wyndham
Jun 22, 2007, 08:59 PM
On 2007-06-22 16:28, ShinMaruku wrote:
"chariot of fire".

Ben Herr with flamethrowers?

and I think I can't decide. they're both very deadly, if they exist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2007-06-22 19:11 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Jun 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
Durakken makes an interesting point about the aliens. If they did want to kill us, and it's possible for any number of reasons, probably the cleanest way to exterminate enough of humanity to render the whole of it defenseless would be to send a Trojan horse. In the book Contact, Earth received an extra-terrestrial signal with many levels of information embedded in it. As decoders slowly worked through it, they eventually realized the true purpose of the signal was to send humanity a blueprint to build a mysterious machine. No one knew what it was for or what would happen when it was turned on, but they built it anyway. Turns out it was the peaceful alien equivalent of "hey guys come check us out in this sweet space ship thing lol" and not a bomb or something equally diabolical. But it could've been.

Still, though, I don't see any real reason for aliens to come kill us. As we've already established, we're no match against them. If they had the ability to come to kill us, then they wouldn't need to. Also, H20 isn't that cosmically rare. Ice is an abundant ingredient in asteroids and planets--Titan, one of Saturn's moons, is literally made of ice. Why not go there for your watery needs instead of taking two steps to the left to get it from somewhere that also needs it, and in the process spell doom for something infinitely more rare (life)? It's liquid water that's rare--not water period. As for what else Earth has that aliens might want... I dunno. Our crappy metal? Dirt? Some trees? I guess I can't realistically say I know exactly what types of resources an alien civilization would be interested in, but I doubt if they'd have to travel light years and light years beyond their established neighborhood, all the way to little old Earth, to find more of whatever it was.

DurakkenX
Jun 22, 2007, 10:34 PM
like i said resources and space... those would be the most likely things. But it is better to allow new cultures to come into the fray of things, guided, than to just take things...the new is almost always gonna come up with something useful. And you are prolly going to expend more resources taking it than if the new people mined it and gave it to you themselves

Also space travel at FTL doesn't have to be possible... currently we are figuring out how to live longer and possibly forever... given the new life timespans that will be reached in the next few centuries if we don't whipe ourselves out it'd be incredibly easy to establish a pretty decent space civ so cultures don't need to be much more advanced than us if you really think about it.

Also the space issue is simple as there is enough resources in our solar system to give a LOT of living space...

Scientists on the other hand will do all sorts of crazy things, but i'm sure even they'd be willing to negotiate or are only a small fraction of a civ.

I'm more worried about what the earth will do to us on it's own and what humans will do to themselves more than what various beings will do to us...

Blitzkommando
Jun 23, 2007, 03:48 AM
What about techno-zombies? As in, the use of technology to essentially block higher brain functions and use the resultant meatbags for warfare? That would be infinitely more scary than your normal garden variety zombie that just hunts brains. These would be zombies being given 'orders' from at least one thinking person with a motive. I suppose it would get more into brain control, but the lack of personal thought would be akin to zombification, no? Just worse due to it being able to happen without all of that nasty death, brains buffets, and decay.

As for aliens... Even in the event they exist, what would even draw them to this planet in the middle of nowhere? I mean, we're not in any large star cluster, like closer to the center of the Milky Way, and our solar system from thousands of lightyears away doesn't look all that special either. Plus, we've been sending radio signals not but 100 years about now. Earth is only appealing for the surface water, and that wouldn't be apparent from lightyears away because they might very well see just a big, rocky ball of ice or a barren wasteland before the oceans formed, saying they could even see such a tiny obect at all and gain any sort of useful information about it. No, for an intelligent species to really start getting interest in this lonely corner of the universe we'd need to do something which they would be able to notice from a great distance. And, if they did find this planet out of sheer luck, I have a feeling that they wouldn't be this far out in search of conquering but instead for exploration and learning.

Out of the two, I'd say a zombie epidemic would be the biggest threat because it is the most likely to occur, and would likely occur first if both did happen. A good old labotome is a pretty good step in the direction of killing brain power and we've had that capability, at least in some sense, since Egypt was the most powerful nation thousands of years ago.

Sinue_v2
Jun 23, 2007, 03:55 AM
What about techno-zombies? As in, the use of technology to essentially block higher brain functions and use the resultant meatbags for warfare?

I.E. The Borg?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if the Borg attacked us with no Federation to back us up, we'd be pretty well fucked. And they're aliens too, to make matters worse.

Mwabwetumba
Jun 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
One word: Tyranids. (Space locusts for those of you not familiar with warhammer 40,000.)
Perhaps goaded in this direction by some technically superior race in an effort to save their own civilization from the billions upon billions of bio-engineered creatures intent on devouring every little particle they can get their chitin claws on.
That'd be rough to shake off.

Jehosaphaty
Jun 23, 2007, 11:25 AM
On 2007-06-22 14:25, Kent wrote:
Fact is, aliens do exist somewhere - to think otherwise, is a combination of idiocy and statistical impossibility.

Oh please Kent, enlighten us with your statistics.

Unless we're talking about aliens with a one hit wonder earthkiller, then I like to think Zombies are worse. Very messy, lots of wasted bullets, already dead, etc.

ShinMaruku
Jun 23, 2007, 12:28 PM
I wanna see the Celestials.
Or Galan. Then I'd make deals. Best aliens to deal with.
Manly because they are so advanced it's not even funny.

DurakkenX
Jun 23, 2007, 01:47 PM
ok you know according to what we know...there either billions of aliens out there or very few, but all within a pretty tight area of galaxies...just like the solar system there is a golden zone for life according to some... at least OUR kind of life. Remember plants aren't alive to most people...

labotomies are done today still... it's a medical procedure that is used to help some people. It doesn't turn you into a zombie v.v borg type culture is hardly possible as the consciousness can not subdue so many others nor can it control so many other bodies at once. However there may be a day when we abandon our bodies and go completely into the cyber world and only use bodies as a tool interchangeably. There is also the possibility that borg create a non-direct control which seems more likely, but we also know that is not the case as the borg communicate with each other. More than likely the individual borg are not as innocent as they seem...you know everyone has evil thoughts it's just not listened to by the good thoughts...thats pretty much what happens with the borg.

Cyber Zombies are the most likely thing that will happen, but it's not really a threat in the sense that most are talking...it's a long term threat...a path that you go down, but aren't thinking about at the time...it's just a bunch of small choices over time adding up...kinda like the greenhouse effect...

Kevino
Jun 25, 2007, 03:23 AM
Zombies... period. See here's how I look at it. In two simple comparisons...

Aliens - We can't really fear what we can't see. They aren't here yet and won't be for another oooh 1201 years approximately. When they come oooh yes it will be the .... sorta end.

Zombies - It's coming and we all know it. I went and got my machete the other day in preparation! I'm a part of another forum (un-named) that is basically dedicated to this sort of incident! It will happen soon and you will all say "Oh my god! KEVINO WAS RIGHT!" mu ha.

Also.... the greenhouse effect, yeah it's not real. But Global warming, that is. If you actually care and want to know why pm me but I'm not posting it here.

BogusKun
Jun 25, 2007, 11:23 AM
I think zombies

1) In America, Aliens help out a lot, especially the ones from Mexico. I seen aliens from Mexico do a good job on the landscaping. Something few white people do these days... since they own the companies behind it. Na mean?

2) Zombies are smelly and horrible. Aliens like michael jackson, and Michael Jackson makes 1 crazy Zombie... no one can resist those moves. And michael jackson zomboid will rape you too i heard.

Sinue_v2
Jun 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what you think of this, but apperaly this group is going to great lengths to at least appear legit. The Disclosure Project (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyVe-6YdUk) apperantly consists of over 400 ex-; Army, Navy, Marines, CIA, NRO, FBI, NASA, Lockheed Martin Skunkworks, ect employees who are standing up and telling their stories about their experiences with Extraterrestrials, and asking for a formal inquery by the US congress be made into these matters. Lately they've also focused on disclosure of alternative energy sources that they believe have been bought out and hidden from the public - some of extraterrestrial origin. I haven't checked out all of the witnesses, but of the ones I have - it can be verified that they were with the organizations they claim they were at the time they claimed. The interview linked above is from a 2001 National Press Club event.

I'm not sure what to make of Stephen Greer, but I do agree with one thing he says. If the UFO phenomena is real - and we are being visited by Aliens, they are not hostile, otherwise we wouldn't be here now.

Some of their extraordinary claims are that there are over 57 distict alien species, Nasa airbrushes evidence of alien moonbases out of their released photos (and that's part of why we haven't been back yet), and that we have back-engineered alien technology which is reponsible for many of our modern amenities like shape memory alloys, the integrated circuit, and some of our advances in genetics. These technologies are sold off to private organizations (such as IBM) by the military industrial complex for private and public use.

Cz
Jun 25, 2007, 06:03 PM
zombies because i like Resident Evil. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ma_Navu
Jun 25, 2007, 06:34 PM
I just thought of something--what about Zombie Godzilla?

We all know he's in the waters near Japan. All we would need is a zombie to shamble into the waters around the coast of Japan and just so happen to find 'zilla in under 5 years (otherwise, it would decompose completely underneath the ocean). Then we'd have a fire-breathing, Ghidorah-slaying, human-eating reptile on our hands. We'd be like popcorn for the bugger.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 25, 2007, 10:16 PM
Ah, Summer of Sequels. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway, aliens DO exist, but they aren't aliens, just a different species. To them, we would be aliens too. Since aliens have been CAPTURED (al la Roswell) and confirmed that there other lifeforms:
Fact is, aliens do exist somewhere - to think otherwise, is a combination of idiocy and statistical impossibility. He obviously knows what he's talking about. Zombies, possible yes, but kinda stupid, since they would have to be animated in order for them to "run", and furthermore have to be "programmed".

Bu, I'd worry more about the aliens. They can travel through space at speeds we still haven't accomplished. They obviously have WAY better technology than we do. We'd be screwed...if they decided to go to war.

Niered
Jun 25, 2007, 10:43 PM

...Anyway, Aliens are, by far, more of a threat. Fact is, aliens do exist somewhere - to think otherwise, is a combination of idiocy and statistical impossibility.

Ehh...depends. Problem being that its impossible to gauge just how long the universe truly has been around, and just how big it truly is. The odds are with it I'd say, but I find it odd that there is no CONCRETE proof of any planets outside our own solar system. There are theories as to how stars own "wobbling" effect would be affected by a orbiting planet, but these are still just theories, and cannot be proven. You could say there is evidence of planets, but until they can take a picture of it, theres not much in the way of proof.

Look at it this way, if you take stock in the current theories on satellite creation, then there is every chance that a planet could[/b] form around other stars, the problem is that the chances are so astronomically low that even in a sea of billions upon billions of stars, you get very very very few that are candidates for such things. Couple that with the infantessimally (and completely theoretical) chances of life being created through just the right amount of random matter, and you see how low (or high) it could be.

Its kind of like shooting a bullet that never stops moving, into a void that's length is unkown to you, and you have no clue just how many potential bullseyes there are. Sure, you can speculate, but in the end thats just educated geussing. The chances could be extremely high, or extremely low. Theres no way of telling for sure.

Really, im more of an agnostic with a slight slant towards the bible. I prefer my universe with a sense of intervention, not simple dice rolling.

Dont take that as a jab, I'm not trying to incite anything here, not trying to insult anyone either, just one mans opinion.

DurakkenX
Jun 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
Air is just a theory cuz we can't see it...
you are just a theory cuz i can't see you

Look we have a decent understanding of certain things...we know there are stars...we know planets are around stars cuz we are here...we know how gravity works basically. Given this we know that there are planets around said stars... but hey lets just throw you at a blackhole because they will never exist cuz we can't see them v.v

also...sinue... just because they are not hostile right now doesn't mean they won't be hostile in the future.

Leonah
Jun 25, 2007, 11:54 PM
On 2007-06-22 15:58, Rubius-sama wrote:
I don't feel the threat of an "Alien Invasion" the way most people do. If extraterrestrials have the technology to get here from millions of light-years away, then surely they are intelligent creatures. Humans are intelligent creatures too, and I don't think we would exterminate or feel threatened by another species living in a distant galaxy if we were to discover any. Instead we would try to make contact and learn, especially when life is so rare in an ever-expanding universe.

I tried to read the rest, but this caught my eye..

Humans would DEFINATELY be threatened! There wouldn't be an official "attack" -- but I can just see it now: we'd be like a fox that's pushed into a corner.
*SNARL.Dont-Get-Too-Close-I-Don't-Trust-You*
And many people would try to be a vigilante and just go after the alien's themselves. We all know that some human's take a LONG time to get used to different skin colors or languages or culture. Now - try to picture us trying to get along with another RACE? Yeah, that'd be stupid to attack, but hey, you have crowds going up against the friggin S.W.A.T. team - the only difference is Aliens have ray guns.
But I know, a little more then half of the world would like to try to get along(duh!). It's either that or make enemies with very intelligent being's that could help us improve our way's of life!!

Zombies aren't as big a threat as everyone thinks(that's all Hollywood's doing!!). As someone said, their body would be ravaged by the sickness, decomposition, rigomortus ect...So it'd be hard to really move, or hold onto anything/one. Why do you think they always hobble around all slow-like? And there's a difference between 'sick zombie's' and 'necromancy'. If you kill the necromancer, the zombie's are set free, the spell's broken. And to resurrect them they'd have to be dead - point being they'd not be in too great a shape. But they'd be more dangerous, because the necromancer would be forcing them to kill, I suppose.
I think zombies with a 'sickness' would be a little more human, in a way - if that makes sense...And they'd be harder to kill/hurt, because they'd not be 'undead' - just sick.

But Aliens. Definately.

And hey, it's been proven that some planets have had water on them. There's even an article on a planet a few lightyears or so away if I remember correctly that has liquid water on it, and is near a star - just like us. Though that star is younger. WATER itself is rare, and even though I believe that there must be SOMETHING out there, I'm only 87% sure on that.

heh. It's funny to think that other races could be having possible the same descussion about if they're the only ones out there...Gives a shiver down my spine!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leonah on 2007-06-25 21:59 ]</font>

Niered
Jun 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
On 2007-06-25 21:07, DurakkenX wrote:
Look we have a decent understanding of certain things...we know there are stars...we know planets are around stars cuz we are here...we know how gravity works basically. Given this we know that there are planets around said stars... but hey lets just throw you at a blackhole because they will never exist cuz we can't see them v.v

Do you read posts? Or do you simply glance over them and make a complete generalization (in this case an incredibly incorrect one) of what you think you want to hear the person say? Maybe I should follow the same procedure and just assume that every post under the name DurakkenX is made of epic fail.

I said that for all intents and purposes aliens may very well exist. I also said that theories definitely seem to point to it.

My simple point was that when your entire basis for "fact" is supported only by theory, that you have to realize that there is a very large chance you could be wrong as well.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 06:20 PM
Do understand how asinine that stance is to bring up in something like this? Science is based on observations that are tested and retested. Your existence is only supported by theory, but everything that I have observed points to your existence, but it's only theory. You could be a consciousness that is creating an illusion of everything around you, but the observations people have made that may not exist say that that simply is not true, but it could be regardless because that observation is only based on the theory that what we are observing is outside of us and not something generated by our mind without our knowledge.

Niered
Jun 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
On 2007-06-26 16:20, DurakkenX wrote:
Do understand how asinine that stance is to bring up in something like this? Science is based on observations that are tested and retested. Your existence is only supported by theory, but everything that I have observed points to your existence, but it's only theory. You could be a consciousness that is creating an illusion of everything around you, but the observations people have made that may not exist say that that simply is not true, but it could be regardless because that observation is only based on the theory that what we are observing is outside of us and not something generated by our mind without our knowledge.

No. There is proof of gravity. There is no proof as to the theory of HOW it works, but I can prove the idea of gravity by simply holding a pen aloft, and letting go. Just because I can think to myself, "Huh, I wonder if all of this is just a dream", doesnt discount the dream still has rules. I cannot fly in this reality, and therefore, gravity is proven in this instance.

Direct observation has proven that when ever I let go of a object that is heavier than the fluid it is suspended in, it will ALWAYS fall. There is no "well, theoretically it will fall", No, it will fall a hundred out of one hundred times.

Unsurprisingly, you doomed your own arguement with the "Science is based on observations that are tested and retested." Yes, and thats why its impossible to prove something like the slight difference in rotation that a star will have when being orbited by a satellite. You simply cant reproduce those results. Not on that scale, and not when you dont fully understand what gravity is. Theoretically, gravity is the warp in space/time that is created around a object of considerable mass, but you cant prove that, and theres no way of saying for certain that it is.

I.E. you have theories that cannot be proven, or really even tested very well for that matter.

I like people like you DurakkenX, you like to think your smart, you like to think that your voice has some truth to it, but in all reality you need to realize that basically everyone here has a low opinion of you for that very reason.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 06:48 PM
Dude... go back to science class... there have been tests that prove that gravity is a curvature of space. And yes there is a science that says that not every time you drop a pen it will drop.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cyborg zombie aliens, obviously.

Niered
Jun 26, 2007, 07:19 PM
On 2007-06-26 16:48, DurakkenX wrote:
Dude... go back to science class... there have been tests that prove that gravity is a curvature of space. And yes there is a science that says that not every time you drop a pen it will drop.

LOL I DUDNT READ THE POST ABUV MIEN.

On 2007-06-26 16:37, Niered wrote:
Theoretically, gravity is the warp in space/time that is created around a object of considerable mass, but you cant prove that, and theres no way of saying for certain that it is.

Wikipedia entry on just that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity

But since weve already established the fact that you dont actually read anything written by others, allow me to paraphrase:

General Relativity is the most likley candidate to explain gravity, it has been supported by many observations, and is by far the best theory available on the subject.

Lastly, once a theory has been tested to the point that its validity is no longer in question, it becomes a law, sometimes known as a physical law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_law

I think I will make my generalization about all your posts from now. Not a single one seems to have any hidden gems of intelligence in them.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
like i said..there is no way to say for certain anything so to say that is dumb.

The way people tell whether there is a planet around a star right now is because of wobble, not because of theory anyways. Everything we have observed, from the atomic to the intra-galactic scale supports gravitational equations thus means that when we see that wobble there is something around that star, whether a planet or not isn't derived from that though. It is derived from a spectrum analysis which pretty accurately tells what kind of elements are over there. They use a combination of several factors to determine whether this is a planet there or not...not just one simple little theory.

Also Laws don't work 100% as we know stars don't circle the way that gravity says they should and anything that is below the atomic scale. So that throws off your law thing...oh well.

Niered
Jun 26, 2007, 07:43 PM
Ive run out of wit and sarcasm, and I tire of teaching baboon's how to read sources. BUBAI NAOW.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-06-26 17:43, Niered wrote:
Ive run out of wit and sarcasm, and I tire of teaching baboon's how to read sources. BUBAI NAOW.

In other words you are wrong and have nothing to counter what is the most logical explanation.

Thalui89
Jun 26, 2007, 07:54 PM
Zombies could be useful to society despite their fleshing eating desire. I'm sure we could replace a few moronic fools with zombies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mixfortune
Jun 26, 2007, 08:36 PM
On 2007-06-26 17:43, Niered wrote:

Thread's on zombies vs aliens, not Niereds vs Durakkens anyways. Watch the attacks.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
Ninjas would kill all of them...

Wyndham
Jun 26, 2007, 08:56 PM
people need to realize ninjas are not invincible.

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 09:01 PM
Ninjas of love are!

Sinue_v2
Jun 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
Did sum1 mention Ninjas of Luv? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XteXA9VXeOM)