PDA

View Full Version : Beat time and Rares are linked, at least for online play

dj_dan
Dec 17, 2002, 06:51 PM
Not sure if this should go in general or items, but here goes.

I remember way back in the DC ver1 days, I read something about beat times being related to finding certain rares, in certain areas.

I posted a few times, on various boards, about this over the years, and everytime I've been horribly and brutally shot down. =P

In ver1 I remember going through forest at the beat times that I read, about and finding 8 angry fists at a time. Then finding absolutely nothing when not within the specific beats i.e. (200-400 beats for forest, this is just an example).

Now, I was just leveling up my lvl 39 FOnewm online in heat sword.
I had just finished Forest 1 and 2 prior to this, and I had not found 1 red box.

I start the quest, the first gigobooma I see drops a red box, and I check my beat time.
The time is at 002 beats.
I go through F1 and find two more red boxes, both dropped by gigobooma's.
Forest 2, I find a rappy's wing, another red box from an AL Rappy, and another red box from a gigobooma.
This is all within 000-100 beats, and from many many hours of playing gc pso (over 500+), I know this is not normal.

So from this I would assume (dangerous word) that there is a higher chance in finding reds during 000-100 beats for the forest area.

Btw I found:
4x M&A60 Vise :Gigobooma's
Rappy's Wing :Rag Rappy
Diska of Liberator :Al Rappy
(Whitill ID)

Pretty damn amazing for one run through heat sword in HARD.

Any comments thoughts are welcome

Driadyte
Dec 17, 2002, 07:05 PM
I'll test this out (as soon as I find out what time 0-100 is), on HS on Hard, the only difference being that I'm Redria. Results posted as soon as I get them.

EDIT: For all you wondering, 0 beats is 5 pm Central time, which translates into 3 pm Pacific, 6 pm Eastern.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Driadyte on 2002-12-17 16:08 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Dec 17, 2002, 08:03 PM
take advantage of the beat calculator erupt coded!

http://www.pso-world.com/beatcalc.php

VulpesMundi
Dec 17, 2002, 08:42 PM
I'd argue that what you experienced was just luck of the draw. It's improbable, but not impossible, that so many red boxes can hit the floor just purely randomly. I went thru Lost Heat Sword once and found three Dragon Slayers in the same room. My beat time was between 200 and 300 at the time. If you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that beat time truly effects drops, I'll give you a pat on the back. But until you find absolute proof I'll remain skeptical and continue to believe that drops are purely random.

Driadyte
Dec 18, 2002, 12:03 AM
On 2002-12-17 17:03, LollipopLolita wrote:
take advantage of the beat calculator erupt coded!

http://www.pso-world.com/beatcalc.php

That's what I did. Although if he wants a suggestion, make it so that you can go from beats to real time too.

LollipopLolita
Dec 18, 2002, 12:53 AM
good suggestion!

Ghen
Dec 18, 2002, 11:35 AM
You know, I surprised that no one has thrown in more variables besides beat time to try and calculate when rares will drop. The Gamecube does have an internal clock ya know. Maybe things such as the time of day and the day offthe week affect drops to... I seriously doubt that rares drops are just figured out by a single variable.

Goza
Dec 18, 2002, 01:08 PM
I'm going to say that if there are ANY non-random variables, there are definitely more than one.

I went through Ult Forest 0-100 beats today and found absolutely nothing on standard monsters and the sil dragon. After 100 beats I managed to find Wals MK2 #13 and Angry Fist #9. This was offline, but I doubt they have separate code for the drop system online and off.

So my conclusion is that the beat time would only be a factor if there were others (section IDs and difficulties have favorite beat times, etc.). Evidence is still for totally random, but I hold out hope because I have noticed that good rares tend to come in waves.

Hope that helps http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

sMiLeY
Dec 18, 2002, 01:48 PM
i too can confirm this. i found 3 flowen sword replicas, a blade dance, 2 G-Assassin Arms, 2 Rappy Wings, 2 DB Sabers, and a Last Survivor. all after school here in Wisconsin. Soooo i have to agree. but, i was offline.

sMiLeY
Dec 18, 2002, 01:51 PM
about mine, its from 3:40 to about 5

Driadyte
Dec 18, 2002, 06:29 PM
Alright. Here's my findings:

Hard Forest run (960-975 beats):
-AddSlot

Hard HS run (001-017 beats):
-Power Mat
-Def Mat
-Evade Mat
-Slicer of Assassin
-Rappy's Wing

So, nothing especially good or uncommon. My ID finds lots of Slicers, so if the theory was correct, I should have found several at least. The mats aren't even in red boxes, so they could probably be left out when considering rares.

RedFox
Dec 18, 2002, 07:26 PM
maybe beat time needed varies between id's and possibly (probably) other variables. i agree that the beat time cant be the only variable in all this but it may help...

Mute
Dec 18, 2002, 10:08 PM
Interesting theories. I'd have to say that I generally play around the same times and I've had dry days and profitable days. I'll agree with Vulpes and side with the completely random. However, I have noticed strange "waves" of red boxes from time to time. How about speculating that certain individual monster-types have a beat time tied to their specific drop ratio? Regardless, monsters in Ultimate tend to be alot "stingier" with their drops. Perhaps the rarity of the item itself is of some concern. For example, as a Redria, El Rappies are expected to drop Sacred Cloths. For Pinkal, they drop Stag Cutlery (BOTH in Ult - the Sacred Cloth seemingly being rarer). Through several Fake in Yellow attempts, many Stags were recovered. However, on Redria, not one Red dropped from an El. These were all done on variable times. Just a thought to ponder on. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mute on 2002-12-18 19:09 ]</font>

lockeboy
Dec 19, 2002, 03:02 PM
On 2002-12-18 19:08, Mute wrote:
For Pinkal, they drop Stag Cutlery

Yes, I can say I know that .. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Constantly finding rares, and thinking .. "Finally! Something that will serve me well!" .. and .. oh look, it's another STAG.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Oh well .. I did find two ELYSIONs yesterday. Only problem is, my MST isn't high enough to use them.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Goza
Dec 19, 2002, 03:18 PM
I've been waiting all the way through Ult Caves to find any kind of double saber weapon, and still nothing. There are some confirmed listings for Greenil, so I won't give up yet, but I have a Skyly in the works so I can get something other than 9 star rifles.

I think every character has a randomly generated slump period to go with their online time preference. It's a random two digit range of levels in which they will find 1-2 rares they already have, a photon drop, and 20 evade materials.

LollipopLolita
Dec 19, 2002, 04:41 PM
we're doing the excavation reports, which may help confirm this. look at player matchup forum if you're interested