PDA

View Full Version : The System HAS to be Broken

PJ
Jun 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
...It's just GOT TO BE.

Now, normally, I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of saying how the school system sucks and how I'm so far above that; everyone who says that pretty much seems to auto-classify themselves as being dumb.

But I'm not about to say I'm above it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

So, my Chemistry class. I've struggled the whole way through the class, not because it was particularily hard, but because I spent the whole time not paying attention. Had some laughs in my back corner, had some Pokémon drawn by my friend, good times.

Now, I passed the first test, which was a Grade 11 Chemsitry review with, say, around a 66%.

I haven't passed a test since.

Every hand in for marks assignment, really has been hit or miss in terms of either getting a high mark on it, or failing.

And I failed my exam.

My final mark? 51%. So I've passed the course, without, honestly, demonstrating adequately enough that I've learned a single damn thing.

I'm not complaining really, I just think it's funny... I'm a high school graduate now, btw http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

SolomonGrundy
Jun 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
it's likely that you will never use chemistry again. That being said, would not be to proud of your diploma, given yoru comments.

FWIW, I have a very good friend who was TERRIBLE in school. got bad grades, could not pay attention. Took him 6 years to finish school. He is now Executive Director at Morgan Stanley, and is in the top 1% income bracket.

I, on the other hand, who graducated from a top 5 enginnering school, cannot seem to make 200K a year.

sprky585
Jun 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
On 2007-06-25 14:29, PJ wrote:

My final mark? 51%. So I've passed the course,

what the hell is considered a failing grade at your school, at mine it's a 65%

Mystil
Jun 25, 2007, 05:25 PM
You certainly don't live in GA.

To graduate from HS you need to not only:

Maintain mark 70 and above.
Pass the GA Graduation Test(you need 500pts).

The Grad test fucks everyone over, it's why we are among one of the dumbest states in the US.

You also have to have 40hrs of community service(stupid).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-06-25 15:25 ]</font>

PJ
Jun 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
Each subject you need a 50%+ to pass.

You need 30 credits, some mandatory courses, and 40 hours of community service.

What's the Graduation Test?

Kent
Jun 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
The hell? >50% to pass?

What kind of lazy-ass school system do you have there?

Here, you need at least 65% to pass a class. :/

SolomonGrundy
Jun 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
50%?! that's appalling! WOuld you be happy going to the doctor if he only had a 50% chance of diagnosing your symptoms?

feh.

Solstis
Jun 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
Probably a better funded one.

KodiaX987
Jun 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
Percentage means jack shit, people. It's how many people get above that percentage that counts. I can make a school system with a 35% passing grade if I want and then fuck everyone over by making sure anything above 20% is a miracle of God.

Knowing the good and bad of a school system, I can only say you've fallen on a subject where the understanding of a student is ultimately left to the sole judgement of the teacher. I had the exact same problem in Biology. Handed in tests, assignments and labs, got full marks on some and next to nothing on others. Despite maintaining a regular style of writing, I got perfect on one assignment, and then got told I was "saying empty words" on the next. A real diceroll if anything.

University had a 50% passing grade too - and half of the first-year students flunked each class anyway. Hell, I got something like 70% in Physics and it equated to a B because the class average was so staggeringly low.