PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to sell mature games to minors in NY

Firocket1690
Jun 26, 2007, 01:25 AM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playing-by-the-rules/520391

It was 'Game Over' for NY legislators attempting to pass a bill that would criminalize the sale of certain computer and video games to minors, as the current session ended Thursday night before the measure could make it through both houses.

But sure enough, they have some extra quarters. With the two sides of the aisle finally agreeing on the bill's content, it is fully expected to pass muster and be signed into law by Gov. Eliot Spitzer (D) when the session reconvenes in July.

The new bill is a compromise of two different versions proposed earlier this year, one supported by Assembly Democrats, the other by Republican Senators. Leaders from the two houses worked together to hammer out the details of the final proposition, which outlines four strategies in combating the sale of violent video games to underage consumers:

* Selling violent and obscene video games to minors would become punishable as a Class E felony
* Console manufacturers would be required to include parental-control devices in their systems
* Retailers would have to adhere to product labeling guidelines
* A state-established committee would be formed to oversee and study the issue

Critics of such video game legislation are quick to point out that two of these objectives are already at work. All three current home consoles feature parental-control technology right out of the box, and the ESRB already rates every single piece of certified gaming software prior to release (including Manhunt 2). No one seems to mind the formation of another committee, so long as gamers don't have to attend the boring meetings.

The "punishable felony" issue, however, is sure to raise the ire of the industry. There is currently no fine for selling a violent film to a minor, and even the sale of cigarettes or alcohol merely warrants a small penalty. According to New York's 3 Strikes Rule, three felony convictions are grounds for life imprisonment; irresponsible Gamestop employees could face a Shawshank future.

But not if the ESA has anything to say about it. Having successfully countered numerous anti-video game laws in the past by filing First Amendment suits, the game industry's governing body will surely fire off another one provided Gov. Spitzer signs the bill as expected. If history serves, that could prove costly to the state; a similar bill in Illinois cost taxpayers a cool million as Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) raided various coffers to fund his ultimately unsuccessful defense.

Shit. I live here. But I'm getting old >_>;

Whatever. Discuss. I know there's a thread about this a while back, but now the law's official. That, and psow hates bumps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2007-06-25 23:26 ]</font>

Sekani
Jun 26, 2007, 02:40 AM
But not if the ESA has anything to say about it. Having successfully countered numerous anti-video game laws in the past by filing First Amendment suits, the game industry's governing body will surely fire off another one provided Gov. Spitzer signs the bill as expected. If history serves, that could prove costly to the state; a similar bill in Illinois cost taxpayers a cool million as Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) raided various coffers to fund his ultimately unsuccessful defense.

This bill is DOA. When will politicians ever learn?

DurakkenX
Jun 26, 2007, 03:45 AM
this was also already posted about a few weeks ago v.v

Kent
Jun 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
It's a good thing, but it has to be fair - it should be just as punishable to sell R-rated movies or Explicit Lyrics albums to minors, as it should be to sell them M-rated games.

But, of the four outlined measures, let's look at the ones that aren't already put in place willingly:

* Selling violent and obscene video games to minors would become punishable as a Class E felony
* Console manufacturers would be required to include parental-control devices in their systems
* Retailers would have to adhere to product labeling guidelines
* A state-established committee would be formed to oversee and study the issue

Woohoo, they get a committee, and it's punishable now. :/ A good portion of places card people when buying M-rated games already, and GameStop/EB Games will outline the rating of a game and what made it get that rating, when a parent is there buying a game for a child. Not really that necessary...

But it's a measure put in place so that the blame doesn't wrongfully fall on games as much, when parents can't handle their hellions any more. I see it as evidence pointing toward the real problems in the situations: Bad parenting.

Kids shouldn't be getting their hands on M-rated games, anyway. I don't care how many 12-year old kids want to play Halo, they should go learn to appreciate Tetris, instead. It's more fun.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
@ title

You mean it wasn't already?

Sekani
Jun 26, 2007, 09:40 AM
No, it's not illegal, just like it's not illegal for minors to see R-rated movies. I'm not in favor of kids buying M-rated games, but the solution is further awareness of the ESRB system, not trying to put Gamestop employees in jail.

McLaughlin
Jun 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
The PS3 has Parental Controls? How effective can they be (assuming there are any) if the machine allows you to install Linux on it?

So what they get out of this new bill is an overcrowded (or more overcrowded) prisons (lolGamestop employees) and a Committee that won't really do anything the ESRB isn't already...

Edit: Silly politicians. You know that the demographic this bill inhibits will be voting age soon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-06-26 08:39 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 26, 2007, 11:07 PM
Ah yes, of course 18 (or is it 21?) is this MAAAAAGICAL age where people suddenly become mentally capable of handling M-rated games! And it happens right on or near their 18th/21st birthday!

I hope the ESA shoots this down soon. I'm tired of watching game retailers bend over for the political dildo.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
On 2007-06-26 21:07, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Ah yes, of course 18 (or is it 21?) is this MAAAAAGICAL age where people suddenly become mentally capable of handling M-rated games! And it happens right on or near their 18th/21st birthday!

No, 18 is the MAAAAAGICAL age where there is no longer any question about whether or not you will be held legally responsible for your actions, after playing the game. Whether you're mentally capable of handling it or not is up to you, but if you can't, then the legal consequences are exclusively your own.

I don't know that it should be a felony to sell an M-rated game to a minor. Honestly, I would look to the penalty for selling tobacco or alcohol to a minor to use as a guideline. Other than that, I don't see that there's anything wrong with this legislation.

Blitzkommando
Jun 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sick of seeing all the big spending by all members in congress. These 'committees' are often home to horrible loop-holes for sucking in huge amounts of money.

I have no problem with them restricting 'adult' labeled content to minors, but like was said, do it equally with all sales of entertainment. If you bar minors from buying Mature rated games then also block them from R-rated movie sales, explicit music, and MA/unrated television series sales. At least it forces the parents into knowing about the ratings and what their children are trying to play. Myself, I've been carded at Wal-Mart and Gamestop (but out of the two, Wal-Mart was the best about it as being quick and polite while Gamestop was not quick or polite about it) and I live in Ohio currently.

DurakkenX
Jun 27, 2007, 12:03 AM
I think They should install a chip in parents that is connected to their child so that whenever their child acts up or watches something that their parents "don't want them to be in ocntact with" the parent gets shocked for a good minute.

maybe that will educate those idiots.

Solstis
Jun 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
This really has nothing to do with the parents. I don't see why the chip idea is a good idea, even as a joke. I'm sure that some people complained, but this is mostly Hillary's bid for election.

Anyway, teens don't usually vote, and social conservatives are *in* these days.

Wyndham
Jun 27, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm glad they're not selling Mrated games to minors, but i am NOT glad when it comes to the reasons.

Rubius-sama
Jun 27, 2007, 08:18 PM
Good. I'm tired of 5 year old kids bragging about how fun GTA: San Andraes is or screaming about how they can "pwn" anybody in Halo 2 over Live.

Finally a small step towards peace of mind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BogusKun
Jun 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
So would this mean it is possible to report Bungie on younger audiences caught playing Halo 2/3 through their online services?

Sexy_Raine
Jun 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
I'm sick of these stupid laws, granted I'm more than old enough to get anything, but this still. They actually think video games influence the youngins' to kill. I've played M rated games like RE2 and Metal Gear solid when I was like 15, and they did nothing to me. It should be the parents' responsiblity to see if they can handle M rated games.

All I'm trying to say, is that teens should just be able to play ever they want if it looks interesting to them, shouldn't be denied from being able to play it.

Solstis
Jun 28, 2007, 11:30 AM
On 2007-06-28 09:23, Sexy_Raine wrote:
I'm sick of these stupid laws, granted I'm more than old enough to get anything, but this still. They actually think video games influence the youngins' to kill. I've played M rated games like RE2 and Metal Gear solid when I was like 15, and they did nothing to me. It should be the parents' responsiblity to see if they can handle M rated games.

All I'm trying to say, is that teens should just be able to play ever they want if it looks interesting to them, shouldn't be denied from being able to play it.

Parents are not omnipresent, nor should they have to be.

The law is not so bad, but making it a felony is just stupid.