PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters, Item duping, Lost saves and more

hollowtip
Feb 26, 2001, 09:04 PM
First lets start off with cheating. Why would anyone have the drive to even buy or copy a gameshark or any other cheat device? Your pretty much just saying that you want to ruin any type of long term game enjoyment and spending 50 bones or wasting a CDR also. Sounds great! It always seems like the people who cheat are usually not good at games in general anyways, and it seems to compete with others they feel they deserve a "boost". Also for those people who have lost characters due to corrupted saves I could gaurantee most of you have unlicensed third party memory cards that don't have Sega's seal of quality written on packages they came on. So your pretty much saying,"yeah I'm playing Russian Roulette with my saves, and if they get corrupted I blame it on Sega." I have never lost a save in my whole life using licensed memory cards on any console. Even my original Zelda Flash Save still hasn't failed me.

For those who like to dupe items, meseta and weapons:
Take probably the best element of the game and turn it into shit. Getting that Double Saber for the first time is probably one of the coolest moments in the game, but when people can just endlessly create a chain of duped double sabers is just plain gay. And for those people that have lost weapons and items and meseta due to the BSOD (Black Screen Of Death for those of you who don't know) is really not an excuse at all. All you have to do is unplug your modem cord, and it will let you save, I can't believe how many of you people who don't know that. Every time there is a server crash (where the BSOD happens) everyone gets pissed about how they lost their best weapon, especially when they have been playing the game for 70+ hours. Just unplug the damn cord!

well just thought I would put in my 2 cents. What are your guy's opinions?

Jaiden
Feb 26, 2001, 10:10 PM
I'm not the type of person who cheats, but I'm gonna put up another side to this argument just for purpose of creating a discussion.

Lets face it. Cheating can be fun. It doesn't matter whether its a video game, or a card game. Whether is the thought of what other people may think, or impressing your friends, or just to see the look on someone elses face, people like to cheat because it gives them satisfaction in one way or another.

Some people get satisfaction from eating shit. Yes, its sick and wrong to you and me, but it doesn't hurt anyone else (well, unless its your girlfriend who wants to give you a kiss!)

No, I'm serious. Some people really eat shit.

So who cares if someone takes the short road to success? In the end, who is that peson really cheating?

Who cares how we derive enjoyment from a game.

The fact is, cheating in PSO has very little effect on either you or me. I will continue to enjoy the game in my way, which is different than yours, and everyone elses.

People have been cheating already but I still enjoy the game the same as I did before.

You may consider cheaters to be nothing but pathetic morons, but what do people think about you and I when we've spent 180 hours playing some video game, dreaming about the day when you reach level 100, or get that rare item that everyone will envy.

"Pathetic" is the first word that comes to my mind. But I don't give a shit.

And cheaters don't give a shit what you think about them.

So just keep playing and forget about your differences.

Ambrai
Feb 26, 2001, 10:39 PM
I could give to sh*ts bout cheaters save that they ruin the econ with item manufacture. Other than that fact I really dont care about their presence.

I just choose not to play with them.

Ven_Jance
Feb 26, 2001, 11:35 PM
> for purpose of creating a discussion.

great let's discuss.

>Some people get satisfaction from eating shit. Yes, its sick and wrong to you and me, but it
>doesn't hurt anyone else (well, unless its your girlfriend who wants to give you a kiss!)
>No, I'm serious. Some people really eat shit.
>So who cares if someone takes the short road to success? In the end, who is that peson really cheating?
>Who cares how we derive enjoyment from a game.

I agree. The fact that this type of "instant gratification via the shortest means necessary at whatever cost" always ends up costing the individual at some level is of no consequence generally to you and me.

>The fact is, cheating in PSO has very little effect on either you or me. I will continue to enjoy the
> game in my way, which is different than yours, and everyone elses.

This is where I whole-heartedly disagree. I do think enjoying the game in whichever way gives you the most FUN is essential.

I will always have FUN w/o cheating, with cheaters around me. I don't let them ruin my FUN.
But when we play online with other individuals as a team, there are direct repercussions from cheaters whose reckless acts do affect you and me. I could do a bullet laundry list of those effects, but I imagine most readers here know what I speak of.
There is also a "bigger picture" of overall game balance the game design team has implemented in multiplayer. Large scale cheating would radically alter this.

> People have been cheating already but I still enjoy the game the same as I did before.

me too

>You may consider cheaters to be nothing but pathetic morons, but what do people think about
>you and I when we've spent 180 hours playing some video game, dreaming about the day when
>you reach level 100, or get that rare item that everyone will envy. "Pathetic" is the first word that comes to >my mind. But I don't give a shit.

true but someone spending the same amount of time to cheat are "pathetic moron cheaters"?

I would guess if you sat someone down in a room who thinks that those who online game as a hobby, instead of the TV that person watches, are "pathetic" and stood 2 people who were hardcore PSOers

non-cheater:
"Wow, I have had an incredible experience building my character, helping new people and friends from all over the world work together to have a FUN and HONORABLE game"

cheater:
"Yeah its been great cheating my way to the top quickly with the cash I spent on a hack device, fools don't know how easy it is to rule in this game"

the same person you say calls PSOers "pathetic" would have quite a diffeent view of those individuals , imo

>And cheaters don't give a shit what you think about them.
>So just keep playing and forget about your differences.

yes, in order to continue to have FUN this is key...

Cheers,
Ven Jance #CP#

Clan Plaid
http:www.clanplaid.net

TCRooT
Feb 27, 2001, 05:12 AM
Guy i don't want to sound stupid, but what is Duping. I've heard ppl talking about it. I don't have a clue.

Narusegawa
Feb 27, 2001, 05:14 AM
I hate cheaters as much as the next person. In fact I was pissed meeting another one of those lvl 100 invincible newbies yesterday, running for all the items.

However I want to clear up some stuff about the BSOD or the like. I have been playing online, and my game has crashed hardcore. The screen freezes, and I can't do anything. Pulling the modem cord, or anything, nothing worked for about an hour. So I turned off th DC, and I went back, luckily my char did not corrupt, but I lost everything I cas carrying at the time.

I'm not advocating cheating. I just wanted you to know that people can lose stuff, not becuase the are dumb and can't figure out to let the DC save, but because the DC just doesn't do anything.

Spy
Feb 27, 2001, 05:18 AM
A note about the BSOD:

It's not always so easy to fix/prevent. I recently suffered a modified BSOD where I lost everything in my inventory, equpped or not. Thank god I backed up my char. because I would have had lost some really nice shice.

GeneStarwind
Feb 27, 2001, 05:23 AM
I was planning on responding to Hollowtip's comments on memory cards. I'm not so sure that "seal of quality" is as high and mighty as you make it out to be. From what I hear from friends, the corrupted saves have nothing to do with card type and everything to do with circumstances (namely, BSOD). I personally like my Sega VMU just fine, but I also love my Nexus 4X card. Don't know of any other VMU that can be connected to a PC, allowing for backup of saves. The MAIN thing I wanted to say in this, though, is:

WHY hasn't some company developed a freakin' DexDrive-type device for the Dreamcast?! It'll never happen, now that the system's "dying," but it'd odd that nobody ever bothered before now. I've tried that foreign Double Power POS with no success.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I care, since I have my Nexus card, I'll tell you: the damn thing hardly ever works. VMU works great, just rarely wants to connect to the PC...reinforcing the above paragraph.

Hope some of this was coherent...should know better than to post right before going to bed...

TheHangedMan
Feb 27, 2001, 05:57 AM
Personally, I could care less about the people who cheat. (For the most part.) If someone really thinks it's fun to be an instant level 100 (though I don't know why anyone would, since that's one of the main sources of enjoyment from the game), or to make 20 double sabers and pass them out to their friends, more power to them. I hope they enjoy their fun when they have no goals at all in playing the game. Just so long as someone doesn't bother me or anyone else, and we all have fun with the game, that's what I care about.

What that translates to: If someone is doing something that doesn't affect me, I don't care. This doesn't apply to theives, people who use bugs to hit other players, people who get in games and constantly harrass you, or are general asses, etc. To me, it's always been those sorts of people who can ruin a game for you. Do you really care more about those fake lvl 100s running around, or do you care when they all start asking you if you have a double saber you can give them, spamming the same message 50 times in the lobby, then joining your games that you titled "no trading" and doing the same thing "ne1 got dbl saber?" Argh! People who make asses of themselves and are general nuisances are what ruins the game for me.

Marlboro
Feb 27, 2001, 06:58 AM
Well this is to the person asking about duping. One of the ways it happens is they copy there character (I'm not saying how but it's easy) on to four or five VMUs then log on in a game usually with a friend and dump everything out and then back on then dump...rinse and repeat.

Got bored last night and tried it with monogrinders and filled the entire town with them before me and my friend closed it.

While it's not good I can't say it's bad because you can't trade as it is because of the theives so theres no economy going.

Maybe PSO2 there supposively working will fix it?

DaHumAn
Feb 27, 2001, 09:31 AM
I HAVE GAMESHARK BUT YOU SHOULD NOT CHEAT WITH ONLINE RPG! PERIOD!

btw:i have gameshark because i can play imports with it, didn't know about the boot cds back then =) .