PDA

View Full Version : I can't take this PSO racial discrimination!

Tiger
Dec 18, 2002, 10:29 AM
Today around 6 in the morning (when most japanese gamers are on) I head over to the JP ship. OK yada yada japanese symbols everywhere. Well what really ticks me off is there is a bunch of rooms with the name "JP ONLY!!!". Why? Is it because maybe people get a little over-excited when they see all the items on the ground so they pick them up? Are we not GOOD enough for JP. HUH HUH!?

I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day the PSO community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the ships of Ragol, the Players of America and the Players of Japan will be able to create a game together and play a game of PSO.

I have a dream that one day even the ship named Altair, a desert ship, sweltering with the heat of gifoie and rafoie, will be transformed into an oasis of friendly players and lots of rooms.

I have a dream that one day my four characters will one day play in a game where they will not be judged by where they live but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every ship shall be exalted, every lobby and room shall be made low, the locked games will be made open, and the evil games will be made good, and the DNA of Olga Flow shall be revealed, and all characters shall see it together.

Let freedom ring from the green grass of Forest!

Let freedom ring from the lava pits of Caves!

Let freedom ring from the canabines of Mines!

Let freedom ring from the dark skies of Ruins!

LET FREEDOM RING FROM THE RED RING OF RICO!

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from ship and every lobby, from every room and every character, we will be able to speed up that day when all of Ragol's character's, HUmar's and RAmar's, RAmarl's and FOmarl's, HUcast's and RAcast's, will be able to join rooms and sing in the words of Red Ring Rico, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

M_BlackHawk
Dec 18, 2002, 10:35 AM
OK, now THAT was a very...interesting..paraphrase of an historic speech by one of the greats of the American Civil Rights movement, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Actually, I've not been on the JP ships...I play on Antares 8, when I play, but I do agree that this whole "Segregation" in games on the JP ships is insane.

However, I do feel that what I just read, while a stirring paraphrase, is a fine case of "making a mountain out of a molehill". the JP players probably have bad memories of what happened in the DC PSO, what with PK, NOL, etc, that they are kind of leery of having people from the US PSO join. I'm still kinda leery of that, myself, with Action Replay being released so soon.

later

M_BlackHawk

chiyosuke
Dec 18, 2002, 10:37 AM
er... i think you need help.

anyways, it's called freedom of choice who they want to hang out with - as long as they don't hurt or throw insults at you, why should you care?

can i refer you to a good shrink?

watashiwa
Dec 18, 2002, 10:39 AM
ROTFL, one of the best topics I've seen to date.

Let's get them to put the Reach for the Dream quest on the US servers too, even though the US players don't have keyboards. Then we'll all be equal, right?

>.>;

RedFox
Dec 18, 2002, 10:45 AM
On 2002-12-18 07:39, watashiwa wrote:
ROTFL, one of the best topics I've seen to date.

while at the same time very true... on the EU servers (back on ol' DC) there were often games entitled "FRANCE ONLY" or "NO ENGLISH/GERMAN"

online racism is a bigger problem then we first imagined...

Tiger
Dec 18, 2002, 10:47 AM
eh no you cant come to the back of the bus. your not like us. your skin is diffrent goto the front. SEE ANY RELATION HUH HUH!

Tiger
Dec 18, 2002, 10:50 AM
Sometimes you enter a room and then they go "! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !". Then they say Goodbye >Tiger. And boom they leave. How mean is that.

Ghen
Dec 18, 2002, 11:23 AM
I say we flood the JP servers and make games that are "No Japanese" or "English Only!!!". http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ChokingVictim
Dec 18, 2002, 11:29 AM
being picky here, but this isn't a race thing, it's a culture thing

Ghen
Dec 18, 2002, 11:49 AM
When you're being discriminated based upon the language you speak (because those little abreviations above your head speak volumes of your character, right?), does it really matter if it is a culture or a race issue? Not in my eyes.

CrashCat
Dec 18, 2002, 11:49 AM
We should just start doing that at random, when people join a game that I'm in yell !!!!! and then goodbye to them and quit. We could have entire servers checking their armpits to see what the problem is...

...nah. Some people just have issues, whatever. If they used WORD SELECT they could at least tell you that you are ill-formed or something, seeing someone just yell !!!! and run is disappointing to me.

TedEdFred
Dec 18, 2002, 11:54 AM
wow.... just, wow....

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kayumi
Dec 18, 2002, 12:00 PM
Maybe it has to do with the language barrier. Maybe it has to do with them not wanting to have to rely on the word select. Could be they just don't like Americans.

Start a room where, instead of "JP Only", it says "JP and US WELCOME". Meet some of the more adventurous ones.

But...racism, in an online world where a chunk of the language barrier has been pre-translated, physical form and skin color are a matter of personal choice, and location is really irrelevant, is just plain silly...

chiyosuke
Dec 18, 2002, 12:09 PM
On 2002-12-18 08:49, Ghen wrote:
When you're being discriminated based upon the language you speak (because those little abreviations above your head speak volumes of your character, right?), does it really matter if it is a culture or a race issue? Not in my eyes.

Just as there are dupers on PSO, there will be people who discriminate against others. Because PSO is small reflection of real world, you cannot avoid that.

I lived in Japan for two years, and I can tell you that there are Japanese who hate gaijins (foreigners) with passion and there are Japanese who welcomed me with open arms.

You can't change the Japanese players who wish to play among themselves - just like I can't stop these dupers from duping as much as I would like to.

Let them be - there are Japanese players who will play with Americans; you folks are blowing this way out of proportion. If you wanna start a stoopid political agenda, do it elsewhere.

I am actually more offended by American players who spout racial/sexual slurs or have names like rapist69 than Japanese players who refuse to play with Americans.

Raist
Dec 18, 2002, 12:14 PM
agreed, US players take the cake when it comes to racism. Did you ever stand in a lobby back on Dreamcast, people were horrible. I'm not saying the Jp players dont do this either, but room names like "jp only" are nothing compared to the racism that goes on in lobbies.

EsperJ
Dec 18, 2002, 12:22 PM
Its funny though.

In the good ol DC days I joined a JP game and was treated to the same !!! treatment as everyone else.

They even stated they didn't want a US player in their game. I replied that I wasn't American, but English and they didn't say another word all night.
We even exchanged guild cards after beating the game and remained friends for over year.

Be at it is, some JP players have an inverted-snobbery where they will simply refuse to play with anyone outside their own culture; largely due to the fact that the X-Box has failed so miserably over there.

In hindsight and experience on pso, take this with a pinch of salt. Ive seen a flock of jp players come to the US ships tpday, all of them more than friendly.

*Individuals are what make this game intresting*

Parn
Dec 18, 2002, 12:56 PM
NO AMELICA!

Polenicus
Dec 18, 2002, 01:10 PM
On 2002-12-18 07:35, M_BlackHawk wrote:
OK, now THAT was a very...interesting..paraphrase of an historic speech by one of the greats of the American Civil Rights movement, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Actually, I've not been on the JP ships...I play on Antares 8, when I play, but I do agree that this whole "Segregation" in games on the JP ships is insane.

However, I do feel that what I just read, while a stirring paraphrase, is a fine case of "making a mountain out of a molehill". the JP players probably have bad memories of what happened in the DC PSO, what with PK, NOL, etc, that they are kind of leery of having people from the US PSO join. I'm still kinda leery of that, myself, with Action Replay being released so soon.

later

M_BlackHawk

Ahhh, the famous Martin Luther Rappy speech ;p

Personally, I don't think most of the issue is racism. Think of it this way: Word select is a pain. US players don't have keyboards yet, and a lot of Japanese have trouble with english. So, although playing with someone from another country can be fun, occassionally they may want to play with someone they can have a real conversation with. ESPECIALLY in challenge mode, where communication is important, as is time.

Now, if they were doing this on US servers, THAT would be rude and insulting. And I'm sure if they were flooding OUR servers, we would have more than a few 'English Only' games.

These are THEIR servers. We're the ones in their territory, and some of them don't WANT to struggle over that language barrier all the time. So don't be a prick and respect their right to play with who they want.

If they quit out of a game because you're english speaking, chalk it up to hysteria and general rudeness. But if we start retaliating by clogging up THEIR servers with English-only games, we're not only proving their point about being 'Obnoxious Americans', but we're also quite firmly in the wrong.

If you wanna flag your games on the US servers as English-only, that's your right, of course. But then you're making the same mistake the Japanese are.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here. But if we end up with another Miranda 10 (i.e. Japanese Challenge block on a US server, in which there were a number of JP only games) then I will be forced to revise my opinion.

Rich_T
Dec 18, 2002, 02:17 PM
Anyone ever thought it could be more to do with comunication, than racisim?
Theres a word select function, but its not exactly the fastest way to comunicate, if the Japanese players want to play and chat, then thats why they put up "JP" on their game names.
As stated before the EU Dreamcast servers still have plenty of games that ask for certain languages only.
As far as im oncerned this is actualy useful, at least you know you can comunicate with the other people in a game.

ABDUR101
Dec 18, 2002, 03:30 PM
On 2002-12-18 09:56, Parn wrote:
NO AMELICA!

Damn you Parn. XD

OK, racism in-game is stepping onto a lobby expecting to play and meet afew people and give out some weapons or armors, but last November it did'nt exactly happen like that.

Ever have entire lobbies flame you for having the username of Abdur? It's not the funnest experience. But it happens.

JP players wanting to play with JP players isn't exactly wrong. They pay their online fee just like we do, so it's only expected that they play with who they want to.

Back on the DC version, when I first started playing online, I did'nt like playing with anyone who could'nt understand english, because I talked alot and it detracted from the fun if I could'nt communicate with others. Word select wasn't exactly the funnest thing to use either.

There are nice players in Japan, thats a given. Just because you see "JP Only" doesn't mean that everyone in that game doesn't like American or non-Japanese players. For all anyone knows, they might play with people out-side of Japan for a majority of their time, and when they enter games with "JP Only" they just want to take a break and have some fun with their friends.

Ness
Dec 18, 2002, 04:45 PM
Here's what I would do, I would force myself into a JP game and if they didn't want me there then they can just leave. If everyone does itm, then eventually the would learn to accept and they mifght as well because well will keep doing it whether they like it or not.

Wewt
Dec 18, 2002, 05:01 PM
The JP players are the worst on PSO, when it comes to "online discrimination". The US players that do it are just plain idiots, whereas the Japanese ones are the ones that really look down on you. I guess that's just me. I hate people that look down on me.

WraithAkaMrak
Dec 18, 2002, 05:29 PM
On 2002-12-18 09:09, chiyosuke wrote:

I am actually more offended by American players who spout racial/sexual slurs or have names like rapist69 than Japanese players who refuse to play with Americans.Agreed. I'm wondering if any of this will be dealt with on Xbox Live. Since there's supposed to be a function to report users who do things like that.

gunome
Dec 18, 2002, 05:47 PM
i dont know how many of you played on DC when that wuz around but as far as i could tell, Americans were the majoriyt of the assholes fsod'ing bsod'ing and Vx, stealing rares from open japanese trade rooms. im sure before the game wuz brought here they had a nice lil community built on trust till americans ruined it.....

Rhete
Dec 18, 2002, 07:58 PM
First night the JP ships were up and I went over there, and saw block 1-1 was full of Americans saying lovely things like "LOL THERE NO J*** HERE!" and doing middle finger symbol chats. We sure made a good first impression thats for sure

Nawms
Dec 18, 2002, 07:59 PM
I agree with gunome somewhat. The Japanese probley aren't naming themselves dirty words and stealing as much as the US players are. So don't get mad get even. Nevertheless USA all the way!

sMiLeY
Dec 18, 2002, 08:14 PM
well, today i went to the JP ship and i tried playing with some guy named TOPPO. He REFUSED to use word select and then kept asking for weapons in Japanese. it was really annoying.

Ninpo_Tamashii
Dec 18, 2002, 09:01 PM
alright, I'm new to being online with PSO but I have been online with GC for drawing in close to a month. I've met a lot of people and dealt with the everyday idiots you see everywhere. And the night that the servers were linked i did see people that were normally in the US servers, acting just complete idiots over there on the Japanese servers. To be frank that upset me more than seeing "JP only" rooms last night and earlier today. I study Ninjutsu, and my instructor tells me a great deal about japan and how japanaese people work. Its similar to how we are accpt there is a great pride with being japanese, much like how we are supposed to have a pride for being american. However, depending on where you are standing, seeing how we as americans are just as proud as they are "if not more so at times" we could take offense to what they do and how they do it, becuase we are looking at it from our perspective, when from their prospective they may not even mean it at all to say "we don't like you so we are excluding you" There may be some that do, but then again, there are more Americans that talk about how stupid they are and talk bad to them simply because their english is not perfect. I haev already made several friends there and my japanese is horrible. They understand that and work with that, and togeather we have a great experience...they way it was SUPPOSED to be. Instead of complaining about the situation, go out and prove that Americans are not the idiots many of us seem to be, "and it sad to say but there are very many who ruien it for the rest of us", and start inviting any japanese you see.., treat them as you wish to be treated, its a golden rule and it is one that has gotten me very far in life to this point, and it does work online. Try it out sometime...maybe tonight when you go online. my 10 cents

pErFeCt_34
Dec 18, 2002, 09:56 PM
Wait a second.... Do the jp players even have ver 1.1 yet?

ABDUR101
Dec 18, 2002, 10:15 PM
If you're going to play on the JP ships, be respectful. Don't go there and be total idiots. Don't go there just to ruin their games.

Act mature, sheesh. You can't force someone to like you, I thought everyone learned that in elementary school, and you certainly aren't "proving them wrong" by going in and being stupid and annoying. >=

Blenjar
Dec 18, 2002, 10:55 PM
On 2002-12-18 07:35, M_BlackHawk wrote:

later

M_BlackHawk

WHAT SHE SAID AND YOU NEED HELP 2! DON'T MESS THAT SPEECH DORK OR WHATEVER!!!!

Tiger
Dec 19, 2002, 12:06 AM
The speech I made is clearly a spoof off the great speech by martin luther king. I made it so the exact words he said, were translated into PSO terms in relation to this topic. I found it humurous, yet true. I'm sorry you all are offended by someone trying to have a little fun.

VulpesMundi
Dec 19, 2002, 12:29 AM
What you have to understand is that it's in most (not all) Japanese people's nature to look down upon people not of their own culture. It's what they've been brought up to believe and what they continue to believe. And a fair percentage of the US players' attitudes don't help this any.

For example...
I was playing C-mode with a couple new Japanese friends I'd made last night. Standing in the lobby of Merope:01-01 (or 01-02, don't remember specifically) some E player by the name of Killer comes in and starts spouting crap about how he hates Japanese people, how they suck, etc. You know the drill. Everyone in the lobby who gave half a blink, Both E and J, started telling him off, asking him what he was doing on a JP ship, and that he should go back to E ships if he believes it, etc. I personally told him (from word select), "Killer, you are unkind" and "Killer, you are shameful," then joined my new friends' team and continued playing since his existence was insignificant compared to playing C-mode. But it's people like that guy, among others, that make the Japanese folks less and less tolerant of non-Japanese players.

I'm fortunate to know some JP players from the DC and GC versions. They tend to be far better players than most anyone else. It's difficult to befriend them, particularly when you can't speak each other's language well. However, I cherish each friend I've made no matter where they're from. That's just my nature.

Tiger
Dec 19, 2002, 12:39 AM
On 2002-12-18 21:29, VulpesMundi wrote:
What you have to understand is that it's in most (not all) Japanese people's nature to look down upon people not of their own culture. It's what they've been brought up to believe and what they continue to believe.

Yeh well we proved them wrong in WW2

VulpesMundi
Dec 19, 2002, 01:00 AM
On 2002-12-18 21:39, Tiger wrote:

That's a pretty cold thing to say. Was the US bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki any better than Japan bombing Pearl Harbor? War is war, and in the end it's all petty. I look back on the whole thing with disgust on both sides of the fence. (Ben Affleck can take his box-office piece of crap movie and shove it up J-Lo's ass for all I care.) But now we're getting into apples and oranges. This isn't about war, this is about communication barriers and culture-clash. They are a proud race. We are a proud race. Suddenly everyone has to be right because they "say so." It's an endless and moronic cycle, and I won't take part in it. If someone wants to play with me, cool. If someone doesn't want to play with me, it's their loss. I consider myself a good player for a non-Japanese (particularly with C-mode), and if they don't want the assistance my skill offers then I'll take it somewhere else. I'm not gonna blow an aneurism over something so silly as not wanting my company just because I'm different culture-wise. In the end we're all PSO players, no matter where we come from or what we look like. It'd be nice if everyone could get along, but facts are facts and there will always be hatred and intolerance in the real and cyber world. Enjoy what you have and don't worry about the rest.

Ninpo_Tamashii
Dec 19, 2002, 01:48 AM
I see some good points in that last post...but can somebody tell me why there are never any Japanese people running around on the american ships shouting out curse words, saying americans suck and are stupid? ...probly can't huh? yet we're the first ones to complain about a Japan only room...., You could go to japan right now and go out to Tokyo or any city and see signs that say "Japanese only" on the resutrants, and half of americans would be thinking they've taken a trip back to the 60's. Its a culture, and respect thing. When you meet new japanese, treat them with just that and i can almost garuntee you that they will at least attempt to do the same. Do it enough, and u may find yourself knowing several more japanese, and learning more about them so you can get along with them even better. But there are still those who will do the opposate. Instead of worrying about them.., do your best to make sure you arn't one of them.....going around acting stupid, and set the example (eventually they will stand out too much and mess around and get caught by a sega admin online and find that they have lost their account..., it happens). To be frank, I don't think they really are 100% when they have rooms which state "japanese only", because so far each time i saw a "Jap only room" i went in it to see what it was really like. I greeted them politely, and use the word select menu at times, and they treated me with so much respect. We enjoyed that game, and so did the other 3 i played whose rooms that said "Jap only". Which says something, just treat who you meet with respect, and 99% of the time, that's what you will get back in retern.

Spy
Dec 19, 2002, 02:58 AM
On 2002-12-18 22:00, VulpesMundi wrote:

Was the US bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki any better than Japan bombing Pearl Harbor?

We gave several warnings before dropping our bombs. Japan gave none. Sorry.

Ina
Dec 19, 2002, 03:11 AM
mm.... Actually, Japan was gonna surrender before the 1st bomb is drop, so in some way USA bombed a surrendered country twice...(some generals wont give up their hopes, etc(samurai?) so the surrender never got to USA in time) USA bombed it twice coz they afraid the horrifying COMMUNISIUM will get to Japan.

Anyway, this agruement is so one-sided.... japanese only team..... well I play in English speaker only team, is that racism as well? I dun like playing with HK players, even tho Im one of them, is that racism as well?? Well, why should we care about a group of ppl that dun wanna play with another country? may b their reason for having japanese only team is that they can only speak japanese, and not much english at all?(so they could only think of 'no english', may b foreign is too hard?(I studied in an english school in HK til Im 13, but my vocabulary was sh*t before I came to england, if u get what i mean.... just change the HK -> Japan, and read again)) u r only seeing this in the.....americans' views(mostly US players here, rite?), may b they meant no offense at all, its simply that they wanna play with someone that their language is more understandable? would u wanna play with french when u cant speak french(except oui and non)???

Link_of_Honor2000
Dec 19, 2002, 04:25 AM
Hello,

This is my first official post on Pso world. I would like to say just a few things. The first is that racism exists in all countries in all shapes and in all sizes. I have only come to one conclusion in my life. If you are a good person you are a good person no matter what race you are, the same applies to the opposite.

As far as the subject of the Japanese players on PSO. I started on PSO Version 1 on Feb/5/01. I am a veteran player by all respects. I will now relate one small story to show something. One night I was logged on to PSO and a friend introduced me to a Hunewearl named Mukyu. She seemed like a very sweet person. She did not speak full english but did have a basic grasp of some terms. Me and her stayed in team for about 8 hours in one night. She was genuinly interested in learning english. Through that 8 hours I helped her to learn some new meanings to words and such. The moral is: Some wish to understand english ways and mannerisms and even make friends with US or UK players, some do not. It is their choice. I made a core group of friends. Most of them are US or english speaking. I myself have left teams because of players not speaking english. There are a few reasons. It is not a good way to communicate using chopped up sentences arranged the way the game tells you you can. Reason 2 might be that I do not feel that I can contribute to a game if so many people are talking in another lang. Part of the game is the personalities. Word select can not really convey a personality. It is generic at best. To tell the truth I hope I run into Mukyu again. It would be interesting to see if she has learned more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On the subject of WW2. It is in the past. War is war. War is not a wonderful thing. Most people who knew the who's, where's and why's are either dead or not talking. I believe there was wrong doing. Either way it was humans on both sides that died. War, for your information, is also a tragedy

I hope this helps.
Link

IceBlink
Dec 19, 2002, 04:34 AM
I've never suffered that problem back in v2... but then, it's amazing what happens when you're polite. O_O

Oh, and it helped saying I come from England too. ^_^;;

haterade
Dec 19, 2002, 05:02 AM
Hehe... I'm still laughing at the fact that people here actually believe that the JP folk have done equal to or more wrong in PSO than you Americans... that right there just kills me...lmao!

I don't blame them for not wanting you to play with them.

CajunSamurai
Dec 19, 2002, 05:04 AM
I look back on the whole thing with disgust on both sides of the fence. (Ben Affleck can take his box-office piece of crap movie and shove it up J-Lo's ass for all I care.)Ditto, and ditto. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I saw "JP ONLY" back in the Miranda C block a whole lot, and thought nothing of it. After all, C mode requires the most communication of ANY possible mode of play in PSO, it makes perfect sense to want to speak the same language in this type of scenario.

But whatever. I just ignore it and treat everyone as equal, works for me.

Polenicus
Dec 19, 2002, 05:08 AM
On 2002-12-18 13:45, Ness wrote:
Here's what I would do, I would force myself into a JP game and if they didn't want me there then they can just leave. If everyone does itm, then eventually the would learn to accept and they mifght as well because well will keep doing it whether they like it or not.

You don't seem to get it, but this kind of attitude is EXACTLY why there are 'JP Only' games in the first place.

Jesus, it's their servers, their games, WHY would you insist on being an ass and force them out? That would be like jumping into a game marked C5 and insist everyone do C2, or going into a Trading game and running down to Ragol to fight monsters, taking up a slot someone who actually WANTS to make a trade could use.

YES they're being discriminatory. We can either go over there, be assholes and give them a REASON to shun us, or try to be the bigger players.

Maverynthia
Dec 19, 2002, 07:31 AM
There are many reasons why they want JP only.

Language barrier. I remember being on a team and being joined by someone from Brazil. I HATED the experience, I couldn't talk to him and tell him we were in the ruins while he wanted to do mines! Also, it's no fun thinking the people you are playing with are making fun of you. I know one time I joined a JP server game and I SWEAR the Japanese I could read, they were making fun of me!!

N00bing. Let's face it. Americans those on the US servers were the worst in terms of cheating and n00bing people, not only that, they couldn't type well either. "PLZ GIVE GOOD MAG GIVE PLZ" >< Heck when someone with a name in all caps joined my game I ran. I didn't want to be n00bed!!

Racial slurs. I remember logging onto a JP server and here was a guy from the UK saying ja* this and ja* that. I told him I didn't like hearing it and he just laughed at me and said he was a 1337 hacker. It left a VERY bad impression on me about people from the UK. I thought they were stupid arrogant freaks, I had to remind myself that this ONE doesn't count for ALL! I'm sure the Japanese don't want us in there games racially bashing them!

I would say, if you hear people bashing Japanese people, copy down the screenname and time and report it to SEGA as well as use word select to say that this person is Shameful and a disgrace.

For challenge try to learn a bit of Japanese to make shortcut keys for things like:
Stand on button, drop weapon, go through wall. I remember one JP guy made cute little kitty icons for things like wait and "Go Go Go!!" with little running feet! Also if your a newbie to the challenge mode, ASK people if they could help you learn what to do. Some people just don't want a newbie in the C-mode and one that doesn't speak the language at that... I know I'd put US only on my C-mode if I wanted to keep out newbie Germans/Brazilians and French people...

Try to make bad examples of people. Tell them in word select that they are being bad, if more English speakers point out that this is bad behaviour then the Japanese will think that this isn't the norm.

Like I read on another PS BBS about people not complaining. If YOU don't show that this is bad behaviour then the Japanese will think it NORMAL behaviour for US/English speakers.

[Yes I did get the NO AMELICA insider joke...I used to frequent that place often]

chiyosuke
Dec 19, 2002, 07:47 AM

Hmmm.... Tiger, you are naive to start this thread and to say things like the quote above. Killing people is never right. War is never right. It's a tragedy you probably have never experienced - exactly the reason you can spout out this nonsense.

With my job being protecting your a** and All Americans by risking my lives on the line, I can tell you that United States was not right in WW 2 nor was Japan. Is killing people ever right? Do you feel superior to Japanese because we bombed and killed thousands to win the war?

Crux of tiger's post was that he experienced discrimination while at Japanese servers. Oopdee doo. I experience healthy dose of that everyday on American servers, even more so. What are doing about this, tiger? Only thing you are showing with this thread is how closed minded some American are.

So, go back to your mother and grow up, Tiger. It's kids like you and your insensitive remarks like above that forces Japanese players to be wary of Americans.

BrokenHope
Dec 19, 2002, 08:47 AM
What sort of topic would you expect from a known duper who spread around the info on how to do it?

haterade
Dec 19, 2002, 02:27 PM
Hehe... I don't blame any JP folk for treating you Americans the way they do... not one bit. Uh oh! People don't like Americans! Let's invade all of the games that non-americans are in and force them to like us! Wheeee! Maturity is cool.

Ruby-chan
Dec 19, 2002, 04:53 PM
On 2002-12-19 11:27, haterade wrote:
Hehe... I don't blame any JP folk for treating you Americans the way they do... not one bit. Uh oh! People don't like Americans! Let's invade all of the games that non-americans are in and force them to like us! Wheeee! Maturity is cool.

Oh get off it, your not making a whole lot of sense either. Everytime somebody says that such and such has never been done by some people, it has. I'd go into citing a few examples but there really isn't any point and people like you wouldn't care to listen anyway.

Wewt
Dec 19, 2002, 05:08 PM
Do you really care that much about the Japanese liking you?

zerohoax
Dec 19, 2002, 05:51 PM
Listen, its as simple as this. They are segregating themselves from US players due to the fact that they dont want any Americans playing with them. Thats not racisim? I'm affraid it is my friends. I know a lot of you watch anime and get into all things japanese and refer to yourself as a, "Otaku," thus making japan and all things japanese/asian your universe. I dont care what excuse you try to attach to it wether it be duping, cheating, etc. Thats like saying African Americans are criminals so thus segregating schools once again is justified not because of racism but because of the fact they cause crime. Japanese people are not god all you anime fanboys. Realize they are just as racist as the next group of people.

On a sidenote I dont think i've ever seen a US only game on the US servers, whereas 75-80% of all of the JP server games are locked/JP only.

VulpesMundi
Dec 19, 2002, 09:11 PM
The thing is this is a video game. Take a close look. It's as real as you let your imagination make it, but in the end it's just make believe. Just role playing. Sure, there are real people controlling those characters and typing that text. You may make some friends and even some enemies, but you're not going to be able to physically touch each other by reaching thru a television. You're not going to succeed in life because you sat down in front of a TV and played PSO for hours on end. The sole purpose of said video game is for entertainment, as you see fit to enjoy it. Most Japanese players find that they enjoy the game more by playing with other Japanese and locking out players of other cultures. Is it racist? Maybe. But guess what, they have the right to do so because it's their choice how they play the game, just the same as we have our own choices on how we play. Everyone does. The problem lies with too many people creating a stereotype of how US and UK people act. It's sad, but it happens everywhere in the real and cyber worlds. It's nothing exclusive to PSO. It's a nice dream to see everyone get along, but in reality a utopia is improbable, if not impossible. If you're having too much trouble accepting their decision to not play with people of other cultures (insert Aesop's Fable: 'The Farmer and the Stork') then maybe you're taking this video game too seriously. Step back and retrospect. It's just a game. You have the freedom to choose how to enjoy it. So enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think.

And I have seen plenty of teams titled US/ENG only (among others) back on the Dreamcast versions.

haterade
Dec 19, 2002, 09:52 PM
On 2002-12-19 13:53, Ruby-chan wrote:

Oh get off it, your not making a whole lot of sense either. Everytime somebody says that such and such has never been done by some people, it has. I'd go into citing a few examples but there really isn't any point and people like you wouldn't care to listen anyway.

Majority is a fun word.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWW probably has the best idea here. Who cares if they don't like you? Can't play now? JP Only games block your internet access to PSO? No. kthxbye

GCN-Maiku
Dec 19, 2002, 11:45 PM
I noticed that today and I was very offended http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but kind of like Abdur said they probably just want to play with people they can communicate with.

Drayma
Dec 20, 2002, 12:27 AM
Ever try to get a Japanese player to play on the U.S. server? Almost impossible.
Jai ne

rena-ko
Dec 20, 2002, 02:50 AM
due to the rather bad english most japanese speak (if they arent interested in that language and only know some school-vocables) i always interpreted this 'JP only' as 'japanese language please' not 'everything else stay out!'.

um, btw, those who think, JP only is attacking them in personal should think about the therm 'jap' (used several times in this tread now, if i remember right) being an insult too.

also maybe if (most) americans wouldnt act like egocentric morons all the time (not only in pso), maybe (not only) japanese people would be more open minded towards you.

edit: would -> wouldnt (now it makes sense, sorry)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-12-21 03:55 ]</font>

haterade
Dec 20, 2002, 03:48 AM
Welp, rena-ko hit the nail on the head, but it's not like any American is going to listen. Whee!

BlazingTiger
Dec 20, 2002, 02:29 PM
This topic is funny... We can't even stop discriminating amongst ourselves and we are talking about Japs. LOL. Japs are just sticking to what they know, and who they know. I hate discrimination, but looking from the outside in... I don't blame them. WE NEED TO GET OUR ACT STRAIGHT FIRST! that is all...

Wewt
Dec 20, 2002, 02:45 PM
On 2002-12-20 11:29, BlazingTiger wrote:
This topic is funny... We can't even stop discriminating amongst ourselves and we are talking about Japs. LOL. Japs are just sticking to what they know, and who they know. I hate discrimination, but looking from the outside in... I don't blame them. WE NEED TO GET OUR ACT STRAIGHT FIRST! that is all...

This coming from a guy that uses the term, "Jap".

Spy
Dec 20, 2002, 02:59 PM
If there was ever any doubt that the majority of primates here would fail monkey school, I think this thread erases it.

Kasera
Dec 20, 2002, 03:05 PM
Keep it goin folks. This is funny shit XD

Sapphire87
Dec 20, 2002, 06:29 PM
Before anyone here makes a false generalization or a derogatory remark about a race, culture, language, or nation, look yourselves in the mirror first. For those who've never discriminated or have never had racist views in the past, cast the first stone.

shinokou
Dec 20, 2002, 07:13 PM
This is a very well done topic... yes, it has a few idiots in it (as with anything on the internet), but there have been some very insightful and well thought out posts on here.

In Japan, racism is not looked down upon as much as it is in the United States. A Japanese official even referred to Africans as "dog-people". I am very against that, yet I still love Japanese culture; I realize that that is simply how things work there. Not everybody is like that, but you have to expect a great deal of people to feel that way.

On the other side of the fence, many Japanese people are very interested in English, US culture (just look at J-Rock bands like Dir En Grey), etc., etc. They are very open to new, forgein ideas. Just don't expect every Japanese person you meet to feel this way. With my experiences, Japanese people have been very interested in me, and what I look like (I have purple Dreadlocks, i'm tall, Puerto Rican). Hell, just take a look at anime; they make the characters look very wild and different, because it's just more interesting that way.

Yet, if we put the whole racism issue aside, we come down to the fact that word select is just annoying! Maybe they want to be able to just communicate with the people they play with quickly, and easilly. I know I do, sometimes, and that's when I avoid the JP servers.

ONe more thing,

Ninpo_Tamashii
Dec 20, 2002, 10:47 PM
adding on to what was said earlier, I think the "Jap/only" rooms, really mean, Japanese Language Only. So far every room i've gone into with japanese only has welcomed me greaciously once i walk in and greet them with a simple "Konnichi wa" or "Ohayou gozaimasu" depending on time of day, and they will word select me or say hello back in some way. We take it from there. I get to knwo them and so far i have 30 Japanese on my card list now in two days. I keep in touch with most of them and they are some of the coolest people. Take some initiative, and if u really want to, try to learn, at least try. If they see you give effort 90% of the time they will attempt to at least meet you half-way. If they were truly racist, and hating americans and the such, why on earth can I do it? i'm not even japanese, yet i go into japanese only rooms and i make friends. "and half the time i'm still speaking english" like i said in my last two posts on this, Treat them with respect and you are more than likely going to get it right back. If not, then oh well, its their loss.., you will just have shown that americans are people to just like the japanese, and have enough sense to be respectful. Every culture on earth has a concept of respect, and as long as you excercise respect, you won't run into "misunderstandings" like this...

Balthor
Dec 20, 2002, 10:58 PM
What a fucking dumb topic. Even this disgusts me.

Waah, the JP don't like us.

Cry me a fjord.

ChokingVictim
Dec 20, 2002, 11:14 PM
aside-

if there's anyone to hate from ww II, let it be the french parisians... cuz they're well.....french...

oh and hitler, hitler bad...